All member reviews for Avatar: The Last Airbender

Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written bycvanorder April 9, 2008

Great family show

My husband and I enjoy the shows as much as our two boys, 6 and 8. The story and character develop are well above average for a children's show. There are many "teaching" moments in each episode. The adults characters are respected and there are consequences for negative behaviors by the younger characters. Overall the brightest spot in the Nick line up.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySweetDisposition March 8, 2011

Easily one of the best shows Nick has ever put out.

Sadly, I haven't watched this show in years, so I don't remember all the major plot points. Aang, the protagonist in our story, is the last of the airbenders. He is discovered frozen in ice by siblings Katara and Sokka of the Southern water tribe, and they soon after realize he is the last airbender, and therefore the last person to become the peacekeeper of their land- The Avatar. As they journey across the land to teach Aang the 4(?) elements, they meet up with benders of their respective elements, and all team up and travel together. Yes, there are fighting scenes, the main antagonist through most of the series if a member of the fire tribe- Prince Zukko. The elements are martial arts are woven together so cleanly, and is a different and interesting fighting style. Sex stuff is of not much concern, the only kiss I can remember was in the final episode. This show is great. It is a must watch. You can access episodes via Youtube, Mega Video, or the Nicktoons channel.
Adult Written byJohn M April 9, 2008

One of the Best Shows on TV for Adults or Children

Excellent show that depicts children that act like real children who argue, make mistakes, and sometimes need turn to wise adults for guidance and advice. Deep epic themes and plots that an adult can appreciate but a child can also enjoy. Some themes based on Eastern philosophy but through a distinctly American lens. Better than almost any other science fiction or fantasy show on TV today, even for adults.
Teen, 14 years old Written byDarkMidnight December 26, 2010

Best. Series. Ever.

This show is just. plain. awesome. The story is deep and clever, they thought the whole thing through, it shows all of the charaters side of the story. The bending is modeled by real marshal arts! The violence isn't very bad at all, but its exciting (not in a bad way) There is a part where they show 13 year old Zuko about to be burned by his father, and it turns to the audience (his sister, uncle Iroh, and Zhao) as he screams. You can understand the characters and relate to them. It shows the 'villans' have their reasons, and are truely just lost, and it shows the 'lucky' aren't that lucky after all. 12 year old Aang is really respectful, peaceful, but nervious to face his destany, but he does it for the great or good for the world. Katara is a good motherly figure for a 14 year old, she is very smart though sometimes her temper and stubborness gets in the way. Sokka is the jokster (sometimes without meaning to be) And as the oldest of the group (15) he is the navigater and planner. Toph is a blind 12 year old earthbender who's parents were overbaring. It shows shes much tougher than her parents and most others would think, in fact she's basicly the toughest of the group. Zuko is a troubled 16 year old prince of the fire nation, first made out to be the 'bad guy' when he is really just doing what is father told him to do (his father isn't the 'best' father out there, so to speak) and on his quest to find the Avatar, his uncle Iroh (the tea loving wiseman that we love) guides him. His younger sister Azula is infact one of the most evil characters on there, though it shows her instory as well, showing she isn't as lucky and perfect as shes made out to be. Even though she's favored by her father. So, as I'm saying, the creaters thought everything through. And what's rare is, THEY ACTUALLY FINISHED THE SERIES.
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

Wonderful for the whole family to watch together!

I began watching Avatar with my son when he was 7 (two years ago) and the whole family is now hooked including my now 7 year old daughter who loves to pretend to bend. The characters are wonderfully complex and the conflicts they face led to wonderful discussions with my son as the show really supports values that I want to instill in my children including creativity, resourcefulness, forgiveness, respect, independence and compassion. It is intelligent and treats its audience with respectin maintaing high quality in every episode. I really believe it is the best show on TV in any category!
Adult Written byMadManMoon April 9, 2008

Trememndous epic storyline. Humorous. Excellent themes.

As a parent who refuses to let my children watch the likes of Pokemon and DragonballZ, I was weary of Avatar during the promo period. After watching it with my boys, it was obvious that this is an intelligent and interesting program. It reminds me of the epic "Star Blazers" I watched as a child. I have no reservations at all in letting my 5 and 7 year old watch it. Tremendous themes on right and wrong, without throwing it in your face. The show respects the often overlooked ability of a child's ability to grasp subtlety. Very good animation. Very good sound. I am impressed on how it looks our HD widescreen and the audio system.
Teen, 13 years old Written byT.V. Review Cri... May 20, 2011

This show use to be one of my favorite shows when i was 7-11 years old. still is.
Kid, 10 years old May 20, 2011

i would watch avatar till the day i die
Kid, 10 years old October 6, 2010

great show.

BEST SHOW ON NICK. It's really funny sometimes. It has positive messages, and people usually don't die, they might fall into water or something. :) anyway it's on my favorite shows list
Parent of a 8 year old Written byAvatar Forever July 10, 2010

Perfect as entertainment for kids and perfect for adults for entertainment AND knowledge.

Avatar:The Last Airbender is actually an excellent show. I'm now 18 but the show brings back memories everytime I watch it again; my friends and I grew up watching the episodes in middle school when it was new on Nickelodeon. For us, at the time, it was all about action, comedy, and pure joy watching and discussing the new episodes that came out every week. But now that I watch it again from time to time, I realize the secret hidden messages; the show contains some wisdom from the ancient Hind Phillosophy ( as it is name "AVATAR" ) and stuff, good, beneficial meaningg, that you can carry into your lives. Just makes me sad every time I watch it again and I get to the end of the book 3. So yeah I highly recommend it.
Adult Written byW_G_Cutless April 9, 2008

This is the good stuff!

Its amazing, the Nick! network has one of the best shows on american television right now. I'm eighteen and this has got to be one of the best shows I've ever watched. Granted the first season is targeted mostly at young kids, and I disrarged it and thought it nothing more than a passing fad at first glance, but once the second season made air the show became apealing, the characters began to have backstory, and depth, and I actually went back and shelled out $52.00 for the season one box set. This is a great show for families, and my fifty year old mom has even gotten into it. The show does deal with issues like fighting, violence, and war but it also at the same time instills great value and moral lessons. I could go on and on about this show but I'll end it here on the note... This is one of the best shows for families on air today, and is very well drawn, and colorful. Parents, and young adults can enjoy the beautiful artwork, story, and sly remarks between characters as they sit down and watch it with the kids who will love the crazy antics, and mild slapstick comedy. This is far more suitible for the future of America than vile programs like Mr. Meatly, Bratz, etc...
Teen, 16 years old Written byCheyko April 9, 2008

Parent of a 6 year old Written byrockstarmamapdx April 12, 2012

Not Just for Boys

It's surprising that you don't give this show a higher "Postive Role Model" rating given that so many of the female characters are heroic, have agency, and are generally well-rounded and fully fleshed-out. (They also tend to be better warriors than their male counterparts.) It also is a little dismaying to read other user reviews and see that most of the responses are from boys, or families w/ boys. This series is for EVERYONE. Girls will identify with Toff and Katara, trust us.
Adult Written byGrawsome July 6, 2011

Yes, it even has girl power.

Many comments have praised how well Avatar teaches positive morals like respect and compassion. I would like to take this chance to highlight how well the show handles its female characters. The women and girls of Avatar are deep, brave, and powerful figures; they aren't there to just shop and talk about boys while the men solve all the problems. They are fantastic role models for any young lady, which is rare in many movies or tv shows, let alone cartoons.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJusticeSeeker March 5, 2011

Excellent in almost every shape and form

It's no wonder that this show won an Emmy. Avatar: The Last Airbender is the most detailed, intellegant, and artistic show I've ever come across. All of the characters have a complex personality, the works of the Avatar obviously had a lot of thought and creativity, the fighting styles are based on real ones, and it has humar! I see really no reason as to why NOT to show this to your child. It teaches morals as well, which is important, yet they don't nag about it, which makes it a great show. Even though a majority of the show contains fighting, it's at a respectful tone, and people are only occasionally hurt. Yes, deaths do accure, but usually off screen, or meantioned in the past. For sexual refrenses, there is a few kissing scenes, and that's it. This show even tells how even the most 'evil' of characters, can turn out to be only misguided. And there are almost ALWAYS second chances on the show, as well as mercy and forgivness, and this is something our world really needs to realize and understand, especially the young ones, who are hearing a lot of nasty things in the media.
Parent of a 5 and 13 year old Written byMamaB2C January 10, 2011

Surprisingly sophisticated

We loved this series. The characters are human; flawed, they fail, but they keep trying and keep learning and they continue to grow. The nature of people is depicted in a realistic context of balance, as few characters are pure good or pure evil but instead conflicted or given to negative emotions at times. The martial arts are used to good effect and reinforce our son's TKD practice. The Eastern spirituality and mysticism is heavy, and may need discussing if it differs from your family beliefs.
Parent of a 17 year old Written byNever Mind January 5, 2011

It was AWESOME

This show was just perfect. Impeccable. Though there was a lot of violence, no blood! Some burning and bruising, but they have magic healing powers, so it's all good! It is educational for it's connection with Chinese culture and teaches us about the balance of the world. And the main character is a very well mannered roe model. He is a pacifist, and doesn't kill. He doesn't believe that revenge is a good thing, and just wants to have fun. (The whole vegetarian thing could be debated for the health of the young ones, but it fits Aang's character.) All in all, I loved it! Well done Nickalodeon!
Kid, 12 years old December 13, 2010

Water, Fire, Earth, Air... These are the components to a hit anime series for kids...

Alright, let's begin. We have a bald kid tasked with saving the world. Eh. Now, a bald kid that is the last of his kind and must learn 3 real ancient Chinese martial arts to defeat the ultimate martial artist in a showdown to the death. Eeeeh. Did I mention the animals, battles, Kung Fu, and the fact that they actually ended the series instead of cancelling? Eh YEAH! I have personally seen all 3 seasons, and this is one of the ultimate animes! The kung fu is actually real! The role models are great and there are some really good lessons learned. There is a lot of combat, but no blood. Also, it is rarely physical. A great show for all, and the fans of Aang are awaiting the next series, Legend of Korra!
Adult Written byNeyer November 15, 2010

Wonderful!

Role models, respect-your-elders, positive messages and education abound! This show is probably the most thoughtful show on television in the new century. There are constant alludes to ancient martial arts and their ultimate goals of teaching discipline and self-control over violence. Aang, the protagonist, is a young child who believes in duty, justice and honor over all else. As a monk he is a strict vegetarian and has a deep connection with the earth and the spirits that live in it. He shows the utmost respect towards his elders and the forces of nature and strives to teach the world to achieve the same goals. Ultimately his main goal is to stop the war and provide all the nations with peace and prosperity. There is a moment near the end where the majority of the characters attempt to convince Aang that killing the ultimate antagonist is the only way to achieve peace, but he proves them wrong and finds a way to stop the Fire Lord's reign of terror without harming him, much less killing him. Being a child there are momentary lapses in common sense and a few instances of disregard for safety, but in the end it's very similar to what a normal child Aang's age is expected to do. There isn't an overabundance of violence, either, but it's there. Only one character dies, but it's only implied since he's still alive when he disappears under the water. I highly recommend this show for all viewers! Parents and children alike!
Parent of a 5 year old Written byCarl Fox November 14, 2010

Good stuff!

Wonderful series, lovely animation and rock-solid storytelling. The fighting can be a bit intense at times, but is not the focus save for one or two climatic battles (and even then, the good guys win honorably and with quick thinking). This is a great series to introduce young viewers to similar Japanese animation, as well; it would be right at home with the finest anime. (I strongly recommend the series over the live-action adaption, as well; the latter simply does not measure up to what came before it.)