All parent member reviews for Barney & Friends

Parent of a 9, 13, and 16 year old Written byesams June 5, 2010

preschoolers show

i love barney my sdaughter loves it but my 2 sons hate barney my youngest hates barney the most and dosent want barney on there he whishes theyre wasent a show called barney and its educational and has positive messages and good role models and will be for kids 3 and up and is a purple dinosaur with manners besides my youngest son prefers TV-Y7-VL second youngest TV-PG-L and oldest TV-14-SVL and great for preschoolers barney has been on for 18 years now and has 14 seasons and my son olny wanted 1 season with 1 episode but my daughter wanted 30 seasons for 40 years i let all my kids watch it but 2 out of the 3 dont want to now bye
Parent of a 17 year old Written bykrypto fan August 15, 2009

barney fan

i love barney's happy shoe's and his tap shoe's
Adult Written bybebeyarb April 9, 2008
Adult Written bySSburk April 9, 2008

You have to love Barney!

I don't really like Barney but my daughter does and she only gets good things from him and his friends. I can't stand to watch it because it's so slow and deliberate but she really enjoys the singing and learning so go for it Barney!
Parent of a 17 year old Written bylove2 September 27, 2009

godd for little ones

i dont like barney but little kids definetly will. It is a great show for little kids to watch.
Adult Written byda_cool_mamma April 9, 2008

Great Learning Show For Young Children!

Barney and Friends is a great show! I do like the older ones, though. They're are more older kids on there, and little kids thought it was cooler. But, nonetheless, my 3-year-old watches Barney ALL the time! When we want her to clean up we break out into "Clean-up, clean-up!" She imediatly starts singing and cleaning! "Please and Thank-You" is also a big favorite! My older kids, who are 11 and 15, hate Barney. But they already know their , manners. I don't expect them to love it, either. Barney has kiddy songs and the clothes are pretty plain. The shows focus more on learnith how to spell, your ABC's, and 123's! Barney is a great preschooler/toddler show!
Parent Written byrandomguy222 June 9, 2015

Barney will frighten kids

He doesn't really scare me but he looks like he could be frightening to children and other people.
Parent of a 2, 4, 8, 10, 14, 14, 14, and 17 year old Written byparentof7 March 2, 2015

perverted dinosaur says my 14 year old daughter

my daughter who is 14 says barney is a pervert and my 2 year old loves barney
Adult Written bysjhj1222 April 9, 2008

Good values

Adult Written byLowe's man May 17, 2014

well-intentioned but lacking

Barney is well-intentioned, and I do not deny that he's done good things for kids. Having said that, I must point out that Bob Keeshan (Captain Kangaroo) didn't like Barney. In his eyes, Barney was gentle but simplistic. I agree with Bob Keeshan. Ideas and sentence structure are more complex and high-end on SESAME STREET and MISTER ROGERS, just as they were on CAPTAIN KANGAROO. All 3 of those shows better prepare children academically than Barney. Barney also denies the existence of negative emotions. Let's compare him to Mister Rogers. Although Mister Rogers mainly emphasizes positive emotions, he sometimes does talk about negative emotions and how to deal with them appropriately. Just a couple things to think about before you decide whether or not to introduce your children to Barney.
Adult Written bygreta-elisif April 9, 2008

Stupid

This show is ugly and obnoxious. It is meant to take over the job of parents teaching their children proper social skills. If they let their kids watch stupid shows like this, rather than doing their own parenting, they get what they deserve: annoying kids who could probably be much better behaved.
Parent Written bySMNetwork April 7, 2015

This is not quality television.

I don't like it. It doesn't teach kids anything. All it teaches them is negative things. Well, if you excuse me, watch Girl Meets World, Martha Speaks or an American Girl (make sure it's Samantha, Felicity, Molly, Kit or Chrissa. Saige, McKenna and Isabellle aren't quality. Well, some of Isabelle is good.) movie. Terrible! Go watch Girl Meets World instead! It has real positive messages and I met the cast and they were nice!
Parent of a 2 year old Written byWhitneyRocks1992 May 9, 2014

This show rocks

Hi, I and my daughter watch Barney & Friends every day. I grew up watching this show now my daughter watches it
Parent Written byImSpidey2 June 7, 2012

Dumb as heck.

This show is unwatchable. To little kids, Barney's a loving and caring father-like figure to young children. But to older kids like me, Barney's a greedy purple devil who wants nothing more but to corrupt children's brains and get paid for it.
Parent of a 3 year old Written bylutheranmommy November 2, 2010
I have a 3 year old - she loves the show - but I have to point out (since I am 30 - not like the tennage reviewers and notice more things) Barney sends conflicting messages(why I said not good role model- only somtimes though). We have a DVD and Barney sings about important of indoor voices(which is awesome) but then the next song he talks about getting excited and using it indoors for a party - which is it Barney -are you going to teach them to use indoor voie or scream - it doesn't go both ways. Little things like that in a lot of the episodes - they contradict each other. I would recommend avoiding Barney and watching other shows on PBS that are both more educational, fun for adults to watch, and your toddler will love even more than Barney. Highly recommnd Dinosaur Train, Sid the Science Kid and Super Why - all are great, extremely educational and will hold the attention of even most 2 year old - I love all of those myself because they are fun and easy on the nerves.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byrainbowatnight October 20, 2010

Fun For Kids of all Ages

I used to watch this show when I was younger and now I let my younger siblings watch it. I learn so much from this show and it is still teaching kids of all ages how to act and how not to act.
Adult Written bydimpleswhenIsmile April 9, 2008

great learning show

Barney, like him or not, helps to teach kids good social values and manners. Two things that seems to be lacking today. He also teaches about good hygeine and using your imagination. Young children seem to respond well to him. I can sit my daughter in front of the TV for hours watching different Barney DVD's. She is only 2 and since before she turned 2 she has been learing to brush her teeth, wash her hands, numbers and colors from watching Barney. Of course I am also teaching her, but she seems to respond better to Barney, wanting to be just like the children on the show.
Adult Written byMovieBuff 900 April 9, 2008

OMG!

This is definitely not a show that I want my kids watching! Show them a show like Blues Clues. It's a lot less violent.