All parent member reviews for Barney & Friends

Parent Written byResponsibleParentOf2 September 14, 2012

Barney is WAY too scary!

He's a dinosaur for crying out loud! Do we want our children to be freaked out and think that dinosaurs are still alive?!?! AND HE TALKS!!!! Imagine if a big purple dinosaur came up to you and started talking!! I'M SUING TV!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:(
Parent of a 4 year old Written byLoving_Parent762 December 3, 2009

Keep your kids away from this show.

This show teaches kids to always be followers and never to be sad. If there is a problem, you can solve it with magic and singing etc. Barney has no educational value and dozen't even try to teach. All the show is are bright colors and loud sounds to keep kids watching. The show also promotes kids to constantly eat cookies, cake and ice cream to be happy. The show also presents no reality such as no conflict or bullying, because of this, kids won't know how to deal with real world issues. Do your kid a favor and don't allow them to watch Barney, all they will want are Barney tapes and toys.
Parent of a 2 year old Written bysnack January 18, 2009

Talks down to the kiddies

Kid's are smart. So, why do we allow them to watch dumb shows like Barney? They love it, but they also love cookies and ice cream - doesn't mean it's good for them! This is the "junk food" of educational kid's shows. Sesame Sreet showed that you can teach kids without talking down to them - which is all that Barney does. Should you keep your kid's away from it - no! But, at least let them see other quality shows, like Sesame Street for education and The Upside Down Show for REAL imagination.
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written bymommy of 3 October 8, 2009

Not worth my children's time

His shows do not assist children in learning to deal with negative feelings and emotions. As one commentator puts it, the real danger from Barney is denial: the refusal to recognize the existence of unpleasant realities. For along with his steady diet of giggles and unconditional love, Barney offers our children a one-dimensional world where everyone must be happy and everything must be resolved right away
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 19, 2012

One of the worst little kid shows i've seen in my entire life.

I wish this dinosaur got killed.It's one of the worst little kid shows (Dora The Explorer being the #1 worst).The song "I Love You" makes my ears wanna bleed! The acting is horrible,the graphics are pretty bad,and the music SUCKS.Parents,don't let your kids watch this! Introduce them to Sesame Street or Blue's Clues instead!
Adult Written byAl Jackson April 18, 2012

WE NEED TO KILL THIS DINOSAUR!!!!!!!!!

First of all,this show is not that edecational.I mean,the PARENTS need to supervise the kids.Not a PURPLE DINOSAUR! Also,the dinosaur is just creepy.I mean,a dinosaur that has purple skin,and a green stomach?! I know Santa Claus and the tooth fairy are real.But purple dinosaur?! No.Just,no! The worst part is that horrible song at the end that I can't stand! It is terribly sad and makes me want to throw him overboard if I were a boat driver.So please parents,for your own good,make your kids avoid this dinosaur,like the flu! Have your kids watch Maisy or any kid show with no breaking the fourth wall and no stupid songs!
Parent Written byrandomguy222 June 9, 2015

Barney will frighten kids

He doesn't really scare me but he looks like he could be frightening to children and other people.
Parent Written byorangepuff August 5, 2012

BLOODY AND GROSS

BARNEY WILL KILL YOU HE WILL EAT U AND
Parent Written byImSpidey2 June 7, 2012

Dumb as heck.

This show is unwatchable. To little kids, Barney's a loving and caring father-like figure to young children. But to older kids like me, Barney's a greedy purple devil who wants nothing more but to corrupt children's brains and get paid for it.
Adult Written bysjhj1222 April 9, 2008

Good values

Barney, like him or not, helps to teach kids good social values and manners. Two things that seems to be lacking today. He also teaches about good hygeine and using your imagination. Young children seem to respond well to him.
Adult Written bygreta-elisif April 9, 2008

Stupid

This show is ugly and obnoxious. It is meant to take over the job of parents teaching their children proper social skills. If they let their kids watch stupid shows like this, rather than doing their own parenting, they get what they deserve: annoying kids who could probably be much better behaved.
Adult Written byMovieBuff 900 April 9, 2008

OMG!

This is definitely not a show that I want my kids watching! Show them a show like Blues Clues. It's a lot less violent.
Adult Written bySamanthamaster1 November 20, 2014

Barney is a great show, not just for preschoolers.

I think Barney and Friends is a great show for everyone, because, he's a good role model by always being happy and joyful, he teaches kids about numbers, letters, colors, friendships. Despite the show having preschool curriculum, I recommend that everyone at-least under 25 should watch Barney, because, of the good role models, upbeat music/songs, and, his positive attitude, I don't think Barney is just for preschoolers. The reason why I think even kids in their late teen's, early 20's should still watch this show is because, it was probably the first show they ever watched and they should keep that special memory.
Adult Written byLowe's man May 17, 2014

well-intentioned but lacking

Barney is well-intentioned, and I do not deny that he's done good things for kids. Having said that, I must point out that Bob Keeshan (Captain Kangaroo) didn't like Barney. In his eyes, Barney was gentle but simplistic. I agree with Bob Keeshan. Ideas and sentence structure are more complex and high-end on SESAME STREET and MISTER ROGERS, just as they were on CAPTAIN KANGAROO. All 3 of those shows better prepare children academically than Barney. Barney also denies the existence of negative emotions. Let's compare him to Mister Rogers. Although Mister Rogers mainly emphasizes positive emotions, he sometimes does talk about negative emotions and how to deal with them appropriately. Just a couple things to think about before you decide whether or not to introduce your children to Barney.
Educator and Parent of a 2 and 5 year old Written byILoveMyWife July 3, 2015

Is Barney a kids' show? (READ BELOW)

This show is about a purple-green dinosaur (shown in the main review's picture) who likes to sing songs and socialize with 6 to 11ish (but mostly 6-7) year olds, so it really isn't a show for a 2-year-old, but it also has some occasional adult jokes and language that kids under 9 or 10 won't get; in the "Play Ball" episode (search it on YouTube), Barney says "ugly f*gs" while singing the ball song (no kidding!). Barney also rarely but sometimes says "oh, God," or "oh, gee." The aforementioned diety are censored or muted out in the TV version, but not in the original version, which is watchable on YouTube. Also, the "Navajo Song" could sound offensive because it contains the phrase "hi-h#-it's-see-me-yah." Just imagine being with your girlfriend or crush, going around saying it! Apparently the show got canceled because the purple dinosaur said a bad word after a pencil was dropped. Also, last time I checked, "BJ" and "Baby Bop" stand for something only teens and adults should know about. Suggested MPAA rating: G.
Parent of a 2, 4, 8, 10, 14, 14, 14, and 17 year old Written byparentof7 March 2, 2015

perverted dinosaur says my 14 year old daughter

my daughter who is 14 says barney is a pervert and my 2 year old loves barney
Parent of a 3 year old Written bylutheranmommy November 2, 2010

I have a 3 year old - she loves the show - but I have to point out (since I am 30 - not like the tennage reviewers and notice more things) Barney sends conflicting messages(why I said not good role model- only somtimes though). We have a DVD and Barney sings about important of indoor voices(which is awesome) but then the next song he talks about getting excited and using it indoors for a party - which is it Barney -are you going to teach them to use indoor voie or scream - it doesn't go both ways. Little things like that in a lot of the episodes - they contradict each other. I would recommend avoiding Barney and watching other shows on PBS that are both more educational, fun for adults to watch, and your toddler will love even more than Barney. Highly recommnd Dinosaur Train, Sid the Science Kid and Super Why - all are great, extremely educational and will hold the attention of even most 2 year old - I love all of those myself because they are fun and easy on the nerves.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byrainbowatnight October 20, 2010

Fun For Kids of all Ages

I used to watch this show when I was younger and now I let my younger siblings watch it. I learn so much from this show and it is still teaching kids of all ages how to act and how not to act.
Parent of a 9, 13, and 16 year old Written byesams June 5, 2010

preschoolers show

i love barney my sdaughter loves it but my 2 sons hate barney my youngest hates barney the most and dosent want barney on there he whishes theyre wasent a show called barney and its educational and has positive messages and good role models and will be for kids 3 and up and is a purple dinosaur with manners besides my youngest son prefers TV-Y7-VL second youngest TV-PG-L and oldest TV-14-SVL and great for preschoolers barney has been on for 18 years now and has 14 seasons and my son olny wanted 1 season with 1 episode but my daughter wanted 30 seasons for 40 years i let all my kids watch it but 2 out of the 3 dont want to now bye
Parent of a 17 year old Written bylove2 September 27, 2009

godd for little ones

i dont like barney but little kids definetly will. It is a great show for little kids to watch.