All member reviews for Battlestar Galactica

Exciting space drama has complex adult themes.

Parent of a 5, 7, and 9 year old Written by3girlsmom January 15, 2010

Not even for teens

I'm not such a fan of sci-fi, but I very much enjoy the plot and storyline of the series. I've seen the full 1st series, but will not continue due to sexual scenes and violence. I am usually not as affected with violence as with other things, but after a while it was just too much. Punching and kicking a person over and over again should never happen, even in fiction. I think the sexual scenes are explicit. It does not show breasts or private parts, but gets as close as possible, including sex scenes where it avoids just those areas, making what I think is too much even for teens. I agree with a kid reviewer who called it "Battlestar Erotica". The swearing isn't quite so bad, but the use of "frack" gets to be so frequent that it starts to give the notion of saying f*** instead. There is a lot of drinking also, but it doesn't bother me as much. It's unfortunate that they put so much of these in the show.
Adult Written bymishra April 9, 2008

Sci-Fi for Adults Only

I am a huge science fiction fan of much of what is in the movies and t.v.(Star Trek, Star Wars, etc.), but this show should only be for 18 years and older. The significant violence that began the new series has now added drug use, attempted rape, and many other inappropriate material for non-adults. I let my kids watch Stargate and some episodes of Stargate Atlantis, but I won't let them watch this because of its many mature themes and material.
Adult Written bycptnrandy April 9, 2008

Amazing TV, but recommended for mature viewers

This is some of the best writing and performing currently on TV. It's filled with characters who are simply not possible to tag as "good" or "bad". If your teen is interested and capable of following the complex story lines and morally testing themes, than I'd recommend it. It's not just science fiction - it's terrific drama. My 14 year old daughter and I are big fans.
Teen, 13 years old Written byThe Lord Almighty April 9, 2008

The Best Sci-Fi Show on Earth (or on the road to it)

This is an amazing show that isn't really Sci-Fi. In fact, it could very well take place on a naval ship in the current day, or even in Vietnam. There is a lot of violence (given that it's a really realistic show, and even some of the robots that DON'T look like us have blood) and could be renamed Battlestar Erotica. But for any kid 13 and up (or if it's a mature 11 or 12 year old), it should be a must-see.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byLisette's Mom July 5, 2013

Sci-Fi Geek Mum Says "No Way" for 11-or-12-Year-Olds

I haven't done the math on this, but I don't see how this series got an age-appropriate rating of 12 years from paretns, given all of the "Not For Kids" ratings that have been logged so far. My husband and I love this series. I agree with everything I read in this review, and I think 14 years or 15 years is the appropriate age to begin watching. We have a 13-year-old who won't be allowed to watch it for a year or two. There are occasional, brief, but fairly explicit scenes involving intercourse and masturbation, and while most of the romantic relationships are realistic and mutually supportive, there are a few couples whose relationship is ambiguous--exactly who is manipulating who, how and why? I think this is way too much to process for kids whose romantic lives are just beginning. Also, it may not be shown explicitly, but there are a few prisoners, including female prisoners, who are beaten badly. The make-up used to show this is graphic, and the emotional tension between prisoners and perpetrators is quite high. I am an elected officer in my church, and I am absolutely NOT offended by the Messianic character and the running discussion over the relative merits of monotheism and polytheism. It is not a direct allegory (since most contemporary religious conflicts are between monotheistic groups), but it serves as a useful and thought-provoking device for examining political, religious and class differences in our own world culture.
Parent of a 6, 10, and 12 year old Written bymorgancharles January 23, 2010

An excellent, complex series for the entire family together; yes, the entire family.

We watch this as a family show together-- there is violence and sexuality and it can be hard to watch, and we may pause the show and discuss it, or occasionally skip over some scenes-- BUT it really depends on whether your children have had rich and healthy experiences learning about, discussing, and watching more 'mature' shows like BG-- if they have, then what they can gain from a show like this, which is superbly written and acted, is an exposure to powerful human and moral dilemmas, complex emotions, difficult choices, but all in the end moving towards good choices and good values-- the central heroes are flawed but excellent role models, from the female President to the male Commander-- overall, there is no better series on television, and very little of the action is gratuitous-- the show is complex, exciting, and deep-- and with shared, open, and thoughtful discussion, it can be a very valuable experience for any family willing and able to venture into uncharted territories, just like the characters in the story.
Adult Written bydiesot September 21, 2009

Good but dodgy elements

It's a very good TV series and arguably one of the best science fiction series ever made. However, the sexual content is abundant (even though no actual nudity is shown, it's consistently inappropriate) and I found the preoccupation with God and the one Messianic character to border so badly on blasphemy that I decided to stop watching it.
Adult Written byLB April 9, 2008

Not for kids!

My husband and I are big sci-fi fans but decided to stop watching this fascinating show half-way through the first season. Although the episodes we watched were grim and tense, with very few light or uplifting momements, we were engaged by the story and the complex characters, and we wanted to keep watching. However, there is too much explicit sex, skimpy clothing, and upsetting violence (a main character tortures a prisoner and a woman is brutally beaten by another woman). I would not let my teenagers watch this.
Teen, 14 years old Written byStylus10 July 9, 2014

Dark but well-written reboot of classic series not for sensitive teens

This series has been one of the best sci-fi shows to come out in the past decade. While the show is considerably more dark and cynical than the original 1978 show, it showcases great storytelling and strong characters that try to do the best they can in the situations that they're thrust into. While there is violence (some fist fights and shootouts), most of the action takes place in battles in space between starships. There are some more intense scenes in the later seasons (an attempted rape, a suicide, an execution by firing squad), so I'd say that more squeamish, sensitive teens shouldn't watch until they're a bit older. That being said, the show is still the greatest and I highly recommend it!
Adult Written byBigGus April 9, 2008

Parent Written byspacejockeys April 9, 2008

Good social commentary, but mature content

This is one of my favorite programs, but it comes with substantial sexual content/violent scenes. This is matched, however, by the maturity of its social commentary on human behavior and exposition of the inward journeys of its characters.
Kid, 10 years old April 25, 2011

so boring and they swear and say words like sh*t uncensored but replace f*ck with frack. but to my sister this show kicks ass!
Teen, 15 years old Written bycross_breed September 12, 2009

Quite Possibly the Best Sci Fi Show Ever Made

One of the best shows ever. Up there with House and Bones. Very intriguing plot and complex moral themes (like a robot pregnant with a human's baby). Lots of action and drama. The violence isn't very bad since the enemies are robots. The sex kicks the show up a notch because there is one robot woman who's sole purpose seems to be to be seductive towards a human man. The language consists mostly of things like "Frack" and "by the Gods" but also includes the occasional "D**n," "Hell," "(son of a) B***h," "A**," or "B*****d." Very good and not so objectionable. Give it a watch. Then another. Heck, watch the whole series.
Teen, 14 years old Written byShane Craig February 2, 2014

Fantastic......

This show is great. I just finished watching the whole series and it was gripping, intense, it made my heart pound. This show was a GREAT pick. I loved it, it was sooo good. Parents should watch out for the sex scenes. Mainly with Number Six and Baltar, but those scenes are GOOD. They are my favorite TV couple ever in all of TV. It's also very violent. Language is not too bad...unless you count 'frack'. A replacment for f**k. It is very clever though. Also, Colonel Tigh has a drinking problem. I love battlestar galactica....I will never forget it! SO SAY WE ALL!
Parent Written byjohnwromano November 18, 2013

More sex than "romantic interludes"

Be aware, there are sex scenes in BSG. "Romantic interludes" doesn't cover it. They constantly show the Baltar character's sexual fantasies. They often show other characters having sex.
Parent Written byU.N. Owen September 8, 2012

One of - if not THE BEST series of the 21st century, so far.

A great show, on it's surface, with many lessons, many parables about our (humanity) lives. The overall message is a very positive one. Only through moving forward, from learning from our past mistakes, can we move forward, and break old chains.
Teen, 17 years old Written byLargoAllegroModerato January 14, 2012

Meh

Yeah, it's pretty good but you can really get tired of them saying frack all the tiime... :(
Adult Written byitsjustashowyouknow January 25, 2010

philosophical discussion inferences to our society

It has lots of things in it that can lead to philosophical questions and discussions you can have with your kids or anyone and can relate that world/society to our own and draw inferences to whats happening today. Its a really great show.
Teen, 14 years old Written bydrewsy1 January 23, 2010

deserves any awards it wins, though it isn't good for younger ones.

Very good series, I really enjoyed it, but you must be warned of some of the sexual and languid parts of the series. THere is drinking, there ARE sex scenes (less and less as the series progresses; cylon Number Sixes are frequently involved) and there IS quite a bit of language, though the F-bomb is replaced by 'Frak' (yes, it's spelled that way, look it up at BSG wiki). There is some 'skin', but there are no parts displayed. Now, onto the good. First of all: this is the most realistic SciFi series ever. It deals with real-world dilemmas such as sex, pregnancy, abortion, violence, genocide, and certain interrogation techniques really make you question the military's methods. It really makes you THINK; does humanity really deserve to survive? The most questionable characters include Number Six (though she later becomes more of a 'good guy'), Gaius Baltar (basically will do ANYTHING to have sex with ANYONE), and Lt. Kara 'Starbuck' Thrace (though she has her darker sides, she is an inherently good character). The most morally-just characters include William Adama, Laura Roslin, Billy Keikeiya, Cally, and perhaps the Number Eights and Number Twos, perhaps, later on in the series, Number Sixes. While I would not recommend this for anyone under 14 (even some who are that age, make sure they're mature), the story is an incredible story (some parts are heartbreaking and heartwarming) that truthfully portrays both the horrible flaws and incredible selflessness of humanity.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byKeipczarool December 17, 2009

Not your parents Battlestar Galactica

Humanity is nearly destroyed and hangs on by its fingerstips against a ruthless enemy. Great story telling, special effects and plot line. Loved it, but due to the sex, violence (war, murder, executions, suicides,) and complicated plot lines, it's not for young children.