All member reviews for Big Brother

Voyeuristic reality TV is iffy for teens.

Adult Written byM&M1995 July 28, 2014

Competitive reality series with iffy messages and controversial contestants.

Common Sense Media is off the mark with their rating. Big Brother is appropriate for tweens and up, and I only say this because most children under 12 I believe would not fully grasp the main concept of the series. The host of Big Brother, Julie Chen, has coined the show as being family-friendly. Also, it deserves more than just two stars. Big Brother has an interesting premise in that 15-16 contestants move into a house where they are under constant surveillance, with cameras and microphones capturing their every move and every word. Indeed, it is a voyeuristic series. What makes the show so enticing and engaging is that the contestants compete against one another in weekly challenges to gain power, safety, luxuries, and rewards. Not to mention, viewers can impact the game throughout the season by taking part in voting and polls. At the end of the week, the contestants themselves decide who is evicted (or eliminated) from the house (Think Survivor but in a house setting, basically). The last person standing in the house after the intense, 3-month power struggle wins the half-million dollar prize. Regarding the content of the series, "showmances" and romances are part of nearly every season of Big Brother. There are scenes of playful flirting and kissing, and rarely do two contestants go all the way (Fully censored if it does happen, and very brief. Can hear them making out, can see sheets moving -- all in night vision). In every season there is at least one gay contestant. Sometimes there is discussion about sexuality and intercourse. Occasionally the contestants will have access to wine and other forms of alcohol, and some houseguests smoke. Furthermore, there is a lot of swearing in the show. The typical swear words are bleeped, and recurrent insults such as "idiot," "moron," "bitch," and the like are audible. As in any reality show, the contestants engage in heated arguments and fights, whether for personal reasons or gameplay. In one season, a contestant was removed from the show for head-butting another. Of course, there are a number of controversial contestants who enter the house each season. During Big Brother's 15th season, at least four contestants consistently made crude and derogatory racial, homophobic, and misogynistic remarks towards other houseguests or otherwise, but these people in question were fired from their jobs upon being evicted, due to their inappropriate behavior. Do not expect to find any good role models or positive messages in this show. In the Diary Room and in their introduction videos, the contestants admit that they will be fine with lying, cheating, stealing, back-stabbing, and trash-talking if it gets them closer to the $500,000. Some houseguests are willing to manipulate others and play with their emotions, form fake relationships, and go against their own friends and allies. However, many of them do admit that they are only engaging in such behavior strictly for game purposes. There are one or two contestants each season that try to play the game with honesty and integrity which is refreshing to see. My only major gripe about Big Brother is that the casting is predictable and they often cast the same types of people and stereotypes each season, although I commend them for choosing contestants from different age groups. Also, it is important to keep in mind that seeing as Big Brother is 24/7, there are live feeds online and Big Brother: After Dark spin-off show which are completely uncensored and uncut, and allow viewers to take a look inside the house whenever they want. This is what the children need to avoid. Make sure to stick to the broadcasted show on CBS. If you can find the Canadian version of Big Brother, it is equally as good, and the content is more or less the same as well.
Kid, 12 years old August 20, 2011

Awesome.

I am 12 years old and my parents and I watch this all the time. I started watching when I was about 5. Recommended for ages 9 and up because there is smoking and flirting, but 9 and up can probably handle it, as long as they are mature enough.
Parent of a 7, 7, and 9 year old Written bymckmommy September 3, 2009

OK for kids

Yes BB has alot of things wrong w/it as far as concerns go like the arguing some not so good language drinking and skimpy outfits and flirting but hey they see it in the real world you just have to tell them what is appropriate and whats not! but I love it and my kids do too! We never miss a night that it is on!
Adult Written byMr. Strong April 9, 2008

Pretty good.

Okay, Big Brother is pretty good for tweens and up. However, it being not rated is not common, especially for Reality TV. Most Reality TV is TV-PG, with an occasion TV-G or TV-14.
Teen, 14 years old Written byScreennameGirl March 3, 2012

Good Show For Teens and Adults

My favorite reality TV show! Possibly even my favorite TV show. Contestants are trapped in a huge house with no way to contact the outside world. They have challenges. They make friends with other contestants, and possibly even dating relationships. So there's sexy stuff. Of course there will be language. It's a reality TV show! Some of it is bleeped, some of it isn't. It's really an amazing show that provides entertainment for the teen and the adult.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byCGsMom August 1, 2010

Inappropriate at any age

Can't believe this show is on in early prime time (7 pm central) on Sunday evening when more kids/families are watching tv. Inappropriate at any age. Poor role models in many ways.
Adult Written byreecel March 4, 2015

Teen, 13 years old Written byScream! October 22, 2011

Keep you kids off the live feeds

In the actual TV show, the most anyone will see are some skimpy bikinis and people in their night clothes (usually meaning fairly modest underwear). Most seasons have at least 1 showmance, which means plenty of makouts.
Teen, 14 years old Written byWannaBeKardashian August 16, 2011

Not as bad as people say:)

it's not as bad as people make out-no sex is shown on screen (which is rare anyways) ALL swearwords are bleeped out, the only drinking is when they win the right to alcohol (rarely), no violence! and even though the messages usually aren't very positive, it's funny to watch the housemates plot against eachother, i've watched almost every series and i'm 14..:)
Parent Written byjenniferhart85 July 22, 2011

still the best

i love this show but the girls are a problem sometimes by what they wear and what they do to get further in the game!!
Teen, 16 years old Written byibarncat June 5, 2011

Compelling reality TV is iffy for kids

The main problem with this show is that sometimes couples engage in sexual activity. However, the censors always make sure that it is NOT obvious to anyone who is not thinking about such a possibility. The only way it could be obvious is when you see a couple together in a bed. Also, you sometimes see women in bikinis and men in swim trunks. There is also some moderate language, but the "big words," as you call them, are always bleeped. And keep in mind that reality competitions are supposed to be for family audiences. In fact, once, last season, when in one of the live eviction ceremonies when Julie Chen was asking some of the contestants questions, somebody was getting into some suggestive and gross dialogue, and she stopped him, saying something like, "Wait-this is a family show." Also, once, when a contestant apparently cursed during a live HOH competition, Julie Chen said, "Rachel, keep it clean." So while this show tries to stay somewhat decent in content level, there is some iffy behavior on it that may or may not be detected by kids. But I would highly recomend this show to teenagers and young adults who like reality competitions and game shows. After all, it comes on in the summers and airs three episodes a week. This level of frequency can lead to be very addicting, certainly more so than American Idol.
Kid, 12 years old January 20, 2011

tweens and up

The show is amazing, but it's better for tweens and older. The only product placement shown is for food, which hardly matters. It's never intentionally shown and sometimes blurred out. Houseguest make a habit of walking around in their swimsuits.
Kid, 11 years old January 25, 2009

Love it soooo much!

This show is great every single year it plays! I watch it every night it is on! It is sooo funny! I loved Big Brother - All Stars! That one was the best! I can't wait till it comes on this year!
Teen, 14 years old Written byweare0net0night April 9, 2008

Adult Written byMikkelsenelvis August 9, 2015

This show really sucks ASS!!!

It's the worst show on the air. Please take it off the air right now.
Teen, 13 years old Written bydanyan42 July 31, 2015

Great show

I started watching Big Brother when I was 8 or 9, and now it's my favorite TV show. While they do cuss, it is always censored. They also occasionally smoke. Too bad Jason went home last night.
Teen, 13 years old Written bylaurendouglass July 31, 2015

my favorite show!

This show is absolutely fantastic! For some reason, my parents think it's really innapropriate but it's not. There's some language, of course, but that is to be expected and it is censored. There are showmances which means kissing, and heavily censored sex on very few seasons, all you could see are moving sheets. sometimes houseguests smoke and drink, but they really don't show too much of this. the live feeds which are uncensored can have innapropriate things but the actual tv show is completely fine. I think some parents mistake the show with the feeds and think it's very innapropriate but the show is mostly about the game.
Parent of an infant and 8 year old Written byn101476 July 13, 2015

Not enough black people

It is so disappointing to see that there are a small amount of African Americans on Big Brother. Is it because they don't audition for the show?
Teen, 15 years old Written byCogreboy5079 July 20, 2014