Parent reviews for Caillou

Kids can relate to this sweet, curious explorer.

Parent of a 2 and 4-year-old Written byamandasdaddy December 3, 2009

No, No, No, No, No!!!!!

Wouldn't you know it! The one thing my daughter learned from Caillou was how to whine! While there is always a positive message at the end, it is lost in all the whining. This show is a definite no-no in our house.
Parent of a 3-year-old Written bygrayson248 July 27, 2010
I think they should change the title to "CRYllou" instead of Caillou.
Adult Written byKaren1969 July 20, 2009

How do I loathe thee? Let me count the ways....

Aahgh. I agree with other reviewers who complain that their children have begun to whine and be afraid of monsters after watching this show. Mine has done the same, and she also began to say that she "hates" things, and that she "gives up". Plus, what is with Caillou's parents? They never seem to be aware of what their children are up to, and they put up with behavior that doesn't get tolerated in my house, such as tantrums and whiny backtalk! They also seem to favor Caillou's little sister-mother especially seems to spend more time with her, while palming Caillou off on his dad, and when they find themselves unexpectedly without a sitter, they leave their kids with the weird old man who lives next door, whom they don't seem to know all that well. (Maybe I shouldn't be surprised, since they gave their son a name that translates as "pebble." I grew up during the seventies and knew a lot of people like that, none of whom I would trust with a child). Caillou gives up far too easily, cries far too much, and has a voice that even my little one finds piercing and annoying (when he whines "AWWWW!" I feel like banging my head against a wall). The only things my daughter has gleaned from this program are a few annoying habits-I'm not saying that a show which is strictly entertainment is a bad thing, BUT-we won't be watching this anymore. I can't imagine that this would benefit younger kids in any way, shape, or form, and older ones will probably be turned off by Caillou's immaturity (I can't believe that this kid is supposed to be four! I initially thought he was about two.) I only chose an age above because the site says I have to-if I could have bypassed that feature, I would have.

Parent of a 2-year-old Written bythesavants08 April 7, 2011

Shows Kids how to Whine to get their way!

I work in a daycare and have witnessed the effect this show has on kids. Every time during our 25 minute/day TV break if this show was on the kids obviously began acting like Caliou the second it went off. Constantly throwing tantrums and whining about everything. I never even give it a chance with my kids at home.
Parent of a 4-year-old Written byJonesddd February 13, 2011

NOT A GOOD SHOW FOR KIDS!

I used to keep my daughter from watching this when she was growing. She turned off the tv herself when it is time for the show. Not until she turned 4 I said "I'll give it a try coz the creator of this show said it is a good show as they argued. Well now I regret for letting my child watch this. She whines a lot, thowing tantrums and so stubborn, I can"t think of any other reasons why my daughter suddenly behaving like this. As a parent it your own obligation to be vigilant of what your child is watching. I give this show a bad review based on my experience. Never ever let your child watch this show, not a good one.
Parent of a 2-year-old Written byMomAt20 March 24, 2011

Teaching Bad Lessons

It teaches kids to throw little hissy fits and they get their way. My husband and I discussed this while i was pregnant. And we didnt want our son to grow up learning that negative message.
Parent of a 11-year-old Written byStupid F. March 27, 2018

Whaaaaa whaaaa

All they learn to do is scream and talk back

Adult Written byCourier6 February 18, 2017

The downfall of cartoons.

Ugh, Caillou. The name alone is impossible to pronounce without at least a small hint of annoyance. Because the only way you would even know how to pronounce it in the first place, is if you watch the show. After all the horrible theme song at the beginning says his name a million times. It's pronounced Kai you, and supposedly it's French, but every character is speaking English with no accent. It takes place in Canada, which I don't think is ever mentioned or even hinted at, but it doesn't say it takes place in America either, and I've read in many places it's meant to be Canada, so I'll accept that. Sure, in some parts of Canada French is spoken, but again, none of the characters speak French or have an accent, so this clearly isn't Quebec. Did they just like the name, perhaps because they're pretentious? But his name is not the weirdest part about this kid. You might think it's his bald head. That's the first thing you noticed, right? Sure, in just about every picture on this sight he's wearing a hat or a helmet, but in the show, that bald head is rarely left uncovered. They want you to see it. They want you to be haunted by it. To question what on Earth the logic behind it is. Are his parents skinheads? No. They both have hair, and so does their daughter. Does Caillou have cancer? No. You never see him go to the hospital, and he seems perfectly healthy, if not a wimp most of the time. So why is he bald? Supposedly it's so kids could relate to him regardless of their race or hair color. That's why he's blindingly white and has a white family, right? Just give him black hair, anyone regardless of race can have black hair, it's pretty much the default hair color of humanity. But that's not the weirdest part of him either. Oh no. The weirdest part of him, by far, is his strange mood swings. I'm no psychiatrist, so I don't know if he has bipolar disorder, or some sort of multiple personality disorder (I don't even know the technical term for this) But most of the time he's perfectly well-behaved. He's nice, he's happy, he enjoys spending time with his family and friends, and believe me, it will make you want to vomit. This kid is sickeningly sweet. Most of the time. But sometimes, he gets nasty. There's a few episodes where he won't get what he wants, and instead of dealing with it somehow, perhaps teaching kids problem solving or negotiation skills, or how to preoccupy themselves when there's just no avoiding a bad situation, and power through it, what he'll do is throw himself on the floor and kick and scream and wail and cry. "Mommy I don't want to play with Rosie! She's annoying!" Rosie is his sister, by the way. "Daddy, I want to go to the circus today, not tomorrow!" "Mommy, Andre broke my chair!" That last example is particularly annoying when you remember a few episodes ago he accidentally broke one of his friends' toys, and was sad when they were angry at him temporarily. Now he's yelling at this other kid for doing the exact same thing. The smallest inconvenience will set him off, often with no warning, no build-up, just an immediate shift from way too happy to inconsolable and angry. This is by far the strangest thing about this strange little boy. Not his name, not his bald head, but his obvious mental instability. I know little kids can throw tantrums out of nowhere, and sometimes it can seem like a very insignificant catalyst, but while it usually can take hours for them to get over it, he goes right back to being happy just as quickly as he turned angry. Watch Caillou Joins the Circus to see what I mean, that's the most infamous episode of this series. I've ranted at length about this show and i'm still not done, because i still have to talk about his parents. They are way too patient with this nutty little brat. While Caillou's mood changes extremely quickly, I don't think I've ever seen these two show any emotion besides a vaguely bored happiness. Caillou is breaking his toys because he thought the circus was today? I'll just go downstairs and make toast shaped like circus animals (Which is not as easy as it sounds, go into your kitchen and make some toast, then try to cut it with a knife into the shape of an elephant, you'll probably end up with just a mess to clean up.) Caillou is locking his sister out of his room and making her cry? I'll just sit here and do my unspecified "job" filling out paperwork and ignore the whole thing. Caillou is crying because he can't ice skate very well? I'll just continue gliding around on the ice like a fairy princess and encourage him to try again, so he can humiliate himself for the audience's amusement. Yes, you'll find the only times you enjoy this show are when he's making a fool of himself and throwing a fit. The rest of the time you'll just be bored with this kid's vapid happiness. Remember when cartoons used to be good? What great cartoons did you grow up with? Nowadays western cartoons are garbage and I pretty much only watch anime, but back in the day we had good shows like Ren and Stimpy, Hey Arnold, Invader Zim, Billy and Mandy, even the timeless classics like Tom and Jerry and Bugs Bunny. And this is what kids today is watching? It's no wonder anime is so popular, like me they've noticed the downfall of western animation. And this show is not even relatively new. It actually came out around the same time as those shows I grew up with. But unlike those shows that are no longer on TV, just on the internet, they still air this show. It's still around. It refuses to just go away. Kids reading this, if you've made it this far, and you want a great show with a bald protagonist, go watch One Punch Man.
Teen, 13 years old Written byrobowilm September 16, 2015

NOT FOR KIDS

IT TURNS THEM INTO SPOILED BRATS

Parent of a 10 and 12-year-old Written byhugaduck123 May 22, 2014

A great show to treasure and love!

My kids are both too old for this show, but still wake up to Caillou's adventures just like they did as tots! They are addicted to it and it's kinda weird, but Caillou is a cute show for little and older kids alike.

Parent of a 4-year-old Written byRamonasMama December 10, 2009

Relatable and realistic model for young kids, and parents!

I love Caillou, and so does my 4-year-old. The most striking difference between Caillou and other cartoon characters geared toward young kids is that Caillou makes mistakes, doesn't succeed at everything he tries, and exhibits typical young child behavior. Sure Caillou whines and acts out at times, and the behavior is not rewarded; it is, however acknowledged and validated. It is perfectly healthy to feel sad or angry or jealous at times, and in the end Caillou learns something and his parents respond to his needs appropriately. Dora et al always have the answer, need no parental guidance, and succeed at everything they attempt; they are not realistic role models for young kids. Caillou is about everyday life, common problems and situations, how they make us feel, and how best to learn from our experiences.

Parent of a 2-year-old Written byalysha23 September 16, 2009

Too whiney and disrespectful

First of all, my daughter loves Caillou. I haven't watched many of the shows because I put it on for her while she has her play time and I am cleaning the house. One thing that really bothers me about this is I will be cleaning and I can hear Caillou in the background and all that ever comes out of his mouth is WHINING over silly things. He also has a bit of an attitude and a lack of respect. Thankfully she has not picked up on his behavioral issues.
Parent of a 4-year-old Written byJeff C. November 12, 2017

no educational value!

renowned as a genuinely terrible kids show.
Adult Written byRealityQueen07 June 15, 2016

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! NO!

Cry-llou is a definite NO in our house! He's a spoilt, bratty, bald kid that whines and cries his way through life! His parents do ABSOLUTELY nothing!!! They just stand there and watch this kid make a fool of himself. This kid is so annoying, it's hard to believe he has any friends! And don't even get me started on the theme song! "I'm Caillou"! He sings it with his stupid, squeaky, high voice! And why does this kid's name translate to "pebble"?! All in all, don't let your kids watch this show unless you want to teach and encourage them to be whiny, cranky, little brats!
Adult Written bylonniepie January 2, 2016

it stinks

it models bad behavior such whining and complaining. i dont know why he is bald and i dont know how to explain his baldness to my children. why does his hair never grow? is he ill?
Adult Written byNoahG 1 June 8, 2015

Please. GET RID OF CAILLOU FOR GOOD!

Caillou wants to act older, but he still whines, cries and complains like the baby he is. He's influencing kids to act like brats. His parents spoil him big time and never punish him. I hope they never continue the series and never air reruns.

Adult Written byspacermom March 12, 2015

Whiny and Annoying Little Kid

Caillou is a brat. All he does is whine and because of that he always gets his way. Sister is cute though.
Parent of a 1, 4, 8, 13, 14, and 17-year-old Written byparentof7 February 26, 2015

i need to educate my young ones

give a better education tool for my 1 year old
Adult Written bynduns November 17, 2013

I'm... at a crossroads with this one

To be fair, I'm sure the writers meant well with this series. It does have life lessons in it and the like and I'm sure they were trying to make Caillou as realistic as possible. Unfortunately, I feel like they failed at this. More often than not, Caillou wines and cries and usually gets what he wants in the end. I've actually read stories of good kids turning bad because of Caillou's behavior. I feel weird saying all of this because I'm a huge believer in reading between the lines and seeing the good intentions underneath, but this show doesn't do enough to make up for the bad stuff. In fact, a lot of the messages the show teaches don't even stick with Caillou. There's an episode where he learns to share and yet in every other story line, he's unwilling to share with other kids, like in one episode where Clementine comes over and wants to play house but Caillou doesn't want her playing with his bunny or dinosaur. She suggests using the toys as children and then he snaps at her for it. Worst of all is that his parents don't really punish him for anything bad he does. Sometimes they give him a talking to but that's it. And you know, I know Caillou's supposed to be 4, but... he acts more like a 1-year-old. Seriously, there are times throughout the series I find myself wondering if he's past toddler age or if he's still a baby who just happens to know decent English. There's even an episode where Caillou throws Rosie out of his room, making her cry, then when his mother asks him if he made her cry, he tells her to go away. Again, I know this show had good intentions, but the Caillou character could have been written so much better.

Educational Value
Parent of a 5 and 6-year-old Written byDale Dietrich March 19, 2019

Wonderful and UNFAIRLY maligned show!

My wife and I think that this show has had a wonderful impact on our now 5 and almost 7 year olds. (Coincidentally at one point my boy was 4 and my daughter 2 just like Caillou and his sister Rosie!). They (and we) watched EVERY Caillou many times between the ages of 2 and 5! As a primary care-giving dad, I have debated this show with dozens of moms and nannies over the years and it comes down to this. Just like the reviewers on this site, so many initially told me they hated the show! But, when I dig deper, every single parent and nanny who told me how horrible Caillou is/was, ultimately NEVER watched it in any depth - other than perhaps a snippet here and there. Somehow the 'cool kids' in our culture (or more accurately the 'cool parents') have gotten it into their heads that its cool to say Caillou sucks. Moms and nannies (sorry their are no other dads that I've discussed this with) often joke about the show. Part of this 'misperception' comes from one tiny snipped from the opening sequence to the first season of the show. It shows Caillou lying down, pounding his fists, having a full-on tantrum - like every toddler has done at least a few times in their lives. If all you've seen is the opening snippet showing this tantrum, then maybe you'll get the perception that Caillou is some kind of a spoiled brat. He isn't! Thankfully they removed that snippet from the opening sequence for subsequent seasons of the show. Other moms and nanniess say they are weirded out by the fact that Caillou has no hair. Yet they aren't weirded out by the fact that Charlie Brown only has/had a few strands of hair. And finally, some say his voice is too high pitched and it bugs them hearing it. I have literally found no parent or nanny who has spent any amount of time watching it that concludes its nothing other than a delightful show for kids. Caillou is a very normal/curious boy with a baby sister. He's trying to figure life out. How to deal with the normal trials and family dynamics of life. And, yes, EXCEEDINGLY rarely he is naughty and gets corrected by his parents. But, frankly, he is more well behaved than most any child I've met - including my own. Yet this perception exists that he is some kind of a whiny brat! He isn't! I have personally watched every single one of the 92 episodes and specials (many more than once). We have also read many of the Caillou books together. I can confidently tell you that it's a terrific show for kids of all ages! Seriously! Watch a few episodes and I'll be astonished if you don't come to the same conclusion!