All member reviews for Cake Boss: Next Great Baker

Mild reality battle with big personalities, wild sweets.

Adult Written byTinyToya December 17, 2012

SO much food is WASTED!

I absolutely hate watching this show now. I watch it only to see the final reveals. Buddy is just too annoying to tolerate. He acts like he is a king gracing the presence of his subjects. Yes, he is a well-known baker, but he treats the contestants like they are beneath him (cutting them off, yelling at them, giving them unreasonable tasks). Even when someone makes something good he may shrug or smugly say: It's good. Not bad. Or something of that nature. He is also a bore to watch because he does not have much of a personality to show. He doesn't have that charisma that's needed to be a top notch host. The show itself has its usual fights between contestants, cursing (something to note), and extremely unfair challenges. I wouldn't watch this show with the kids because you never know who will curse or when something inappropriate may come up. FINALLY, the amount of food Buddy wastes is INTOLERABLE! There was a challenge in which cakes had to be made and piped correctly and if they were wrong (even a little bit) he threw them in the trash. His assistant Marissa (winner of the next great baker from a previous season) played along, throwing away cake after cake after cake (probably more than ten or twelve perfectly edible cakes). I was so angered by that. Why not just put them to the side and give them away to customers for free later or donate them? Don't waste food. He does this every season. He plows down ugly cakes, throws them off buildings, blows them up, you name it! I bet he thinks it's great drama for the show, but it just ticks people off! As you can tell, I don't like this show anymore.
Adult Written byGayle002 August 15, 2014

The Next Great Baker should be renamed "The Biggest Waster"

I cannot believe the amount of perfectly good food that gets wasted on this show. They make these huge cakes, with perfectly good ingredients and what does he do? He blows them up, he throws them away, he runs them over with trucks? All for what? Showmanship? It's absolutely ridiculous!! There are people starving, people digging in the trash for something to be able to feed their kids and he is blowing it up for nothing! You know what would be really good to see on TV? Someone creating something amazing (like these cakes and deserts) and then GIVING BACK. DONATING what they don't use or eat to homeless shelters or hospitals of sick and struggling kids. That is what I would like to see on TV; something uplifting and heart warming, not this complete disregard and disrespect for something as valuable as food. I will never watch this show again. I would not want children to watch this show. I wouldn't want anyone to witness this and think that it is OK to do what this man does. It's disgusting.
Teen, 14 years old Written byhklover14 March 10, 2013

carrer opportunities

It shows a good career opportunities for teens
Parent Written byCSM1151116 January 2, 2012

Not happy!!

Up until tonight's show it was a fun show to watch with the family. One of the contestants used condoms as balloons for their cake. Totally upset and so were my kids because they couldn't understand why they couldn't watch it.
Kid, 11 years old March 7, 2011

Kid, 11 years old July 19, 2015

Bad Rating

I watched this show at 9 years old, and was completely fine. Don't overreact, CSM.
Kid, 9 years old July 31, 2014

The coolest show

When i watched this show, it was really cool and great. But unfortunatley, there's cussing you should know about before your kid watches it. But i would give it five stars!!!!
Kid, 11 years old July 29, 2014

Amazing Competitive Baking Show with Unexpected Sexual References and Mild Violence

I don't know why Common Sense Media does not like this show. It is amazing, especially since it is all a competition. Trust me, any baking competition shows are awesome! The personalities are huge and some competitors go to extreme levels to win. Who wouldn't want to see that? The characters go through up to eight torturous weeks, pushing themselves to the limit. They put effort into their work and attempt to prove they have skill. They work to acheive their goals. They work for a job. MOST of the competitors don't give up. That shows great messages. Also, sometimes they have to work as a group. It teaches children about teamwork. The competitors that don't give up are good role models. There all also some people that help out the peers that are struggling, even thought they are their competition. Great role models! There is mild "violence" and some scenes that may be viewed as "intense." Cakes are thrown off a building, broken in a car ride, and blown up. In one episode, there were skulls and crossbones on cakes. Buddy screams sometimes. For intense, some people had to stay in a freezer for a long period of time. It really isn't bad, but it may bother some sensitive younger children. The worst part is when Minerva pushes a pregnant woman. If you think there won't be sexual referenced because this show is about baking, you are incorrect. Some cakes are referred to as "sexalicious." A cake is called the "better than sex cake." The bakers had to sculpt people. One of the "models" wanted large boobs and to look sexy. Buddy makes one reference, which I cannot remember. Some people swear under stress and at other competitors. It usually isn't bad. Alcohol is rarely an ingredient in some cakes. This show is amazing and the parental cautions are very mild.
Teen, 13 years old Written bydancer321 March 8, 2014

Next Great Baker

This is a pretty good show! There is no positive role models in it, however, because the contestants swear and yell at each other.
Kid, 12 years old July 13, 2013

Not as good as original Cake Boss show...

It's a good show overall. A little bit of swearing and consumerism.
Kid, 11 years old February 11, 2012

AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love next great baker! I love the bakers challenge. I LOVE BUDDY V. he is the BEST! (but he could yell sometimes!) I think you should either watch this or cake boss! It proves that if you set your mind to something anything can happen! (in a good way or bad)!
Teen, 13 years old Written byCliff Hanger January 16, 2011

Iffy

Its ok. It sometimes is very good at times. I like how they all are competing
Teen, 13 years old Written bytrueluvful January 15, 2011

cake boss:next great baker

i luve this show but it has a lot of bad language that me and my brothers cant say.i still luv the show no matter what.
Kid, 11 years old January 13, 2011

perfect for 10+

I love this show!!!! Corina Elgart is my fave contestant. There is a lot of strong language though. I like that!
Kid, 12 years old January 8, 2011

good for 8 or so and up

this is a very interesting amazing cool show for the family to watch.
Kid, 12 years old January 5, 2011

Okay I haven't watched Cake Boss but I flipped to this show once and I was hooked from the beginning. Now I DVR every episode, and I love it! The cakes are beyond amazing, and the contestants are so funny. The reality is obviously fake, but it's entertaining to watch them yell at eachother. Give this show a chance, it's really good!
Adult Written byMcNamara December 21, 2010

Not suitable for anyone with half a brain IMO

Buddy is a real jerk in this series. He yells at the contestants, he is rude and obnoxious. The contestants are rude to eachother. You can tell right away it's fake.