All member reviews for Clarence

Adventure Time alum's uneven show has quirky appeal.

Teen, 14 years old Written bytiggerr_42 August 12, 2014

Worst Show Ever

This is absolute trash. It is inappropriate and over all a horrible cartoon.
Teen, 14 years old Written bylucamations March 26, 2014

CARTOON NETWORK SHOULD JUST STOP MAKING SHOWS...

...'cause they'll never out do this one!
Parent Written bySecond Time Mom July 2, 2014

bad behavior

I won't let my kids watch this anymore after observing one episode where kids were extremely disobedient and went into the attic when they have been told do not go into the attic. They ended up destroying the house and it was made to all be humorous. Definitely no character building qualities.
Adult Written byRDF August 16, 2014

A revisit to earlier CN titles

This cartoon is masterfully animated, and contains references to many iconic moments from Hollywood's heyday, classic cartoons, comics and some modern internet memes. The titular Clarence is a chubby boy with a big heart and speech impediment, which doesn't slow down his rather large vocabulary or his ability to make friends with anyone. His best friends are Jeff, a bacillophobic hypochondriac, and Sumo, an overly energetic and somewhat manic boy. The kids venture into suburban tropes like fast-food play-places, grocery stores and the woods. Clarence always tries to avoid direct conflict, even though he has a penchant for finding trouble. Whether it's falling onto conveyor belts for processed meat, setting up his home with Rube Goldberg traps a la Home Alone, or accidentally starting a riot around his invented currency "Clarence Dollars", Clarence and his friends truly mean to do well and they encourage each other to stay positive. While the characters usually create more trouble than they originally intended, similar to Ed, Edd n Eddy, Clarence's mom and her live-in boyfriend Chad are usually able to correct the kids into making sure they learn a lesson from their chicanery. All kids love adventure, and kids will always make trouble, but Clarence's world is grounded in a way that parallels normal life in the Suburbs, which means even though they find themselves in ridiculous situations, most of them are not things kids would normally be able to pull off in the real world. The show conveys that being compassionate and optimistic can lead to more fun than being sour and mean.
Kid, 11 years old March 27, 2014

Hilarious quirky boy has it all

Everyone, prepare yourselves for the funniest cartoon in the world. Each episode has a special feel, but mixes it with nonstop hilarity that even adults may find appealing. The stories here are very clever, and everything that comes out of Clarence's mouth always sounds every bit wonderful. 5 stars for a wonderful 'toon, hands down.
Kid, 12 years old July 7, 2014

Bad Show

I personally think that Clarence is the worst show that has ever been made on CN. First Clarence has the most annoying voice ever and it's a bad influence on kids. I think that Clarence should be taken off of Cartoon Network after season one is done.
Teen, 13 years old Written byDsim64 April 18, 2014

I'm impressed!

This show follows the life of Clarence, a gross boy THIS KID IS NOT CHRIS-CHAN His best friend is Jeff, a normal fellow with a cube head, along with Sumo, who looks like Abe from Clone High. PARENTS: The show has some gross-out humor and bad examples, particularly Clarence's habits. CRITICAL: The show is Adventure Time meets real life, and features some of AT's trademark oddball humor, which I honestly don't like(but luckily only a third as much). I LOVE the show's use of orchestral music, and I like it's realism. And of course, as with most other modern CN shows, the style and animation is brilliant. Although not as funny as Chowder, I can proudly say that this is now the best show on CN today, beating out Gumball. Overall 4.1/5, I am proud of CN!
Parent Written bySusanJ 1 January 24, 2015

Horrible

This show plays on Sat morning and pretends to be for kids, but its NOT. Just one episode - Kid gets a new toy, and puts it up on a shelf. Clarence decided to take it down, play with it then breaks it. He then proceeds to lie and try to find a way out of telling what really happened. in the end, they decided to just call the toy company and lie and say they never got the toy, so they could get another one. Teaches poor values.
Teen, 15 years old Written byDuck Norris June 20, 2014

How stupid can these shows get???

Wow, this is really lame. Cartoon Network comes up with that extremely stupid show uncle grandpa, and now this? Sorry, this is just the most childish show Cartoon Network has ever made. Sorry, it's just not for me.
Adult Written byEvey Marrie June 30, 2015

Deals with tough dilemmas with ease

Clarence can be brushed over as some crude, pointless cartoon. Yes, the behavior and general animation is "crude" of the title-named character, however, that is how he's supposed to be presented as. A young boy, still naive about the world and about certain habits and actions that are not as socially accepted. Clarence does a lot of things because he believes it's right or will fix the situation or he doesn't pick up on social contexts. Once again, CLARENCE IS NINE YEARS OLD, he's going to make some wrong or gross decisions in the show, just like any other nine year old boy would today. Clarence also deals with some tough (and common) problems, like marriage and family dynamics. In one episode, Clarence's grandmother from his mom's (Mary) side comes by. Immediately, the grandmother is overbearing and criticizing and trying to "fix" things and who glosses over the boyfriend, only remembering Clarence's real father and thinking he grew fat. In the second episode, Clarence hangs out with his friend Amy. She tells him that she may not be coming back to school. When he asks why, she explains that she doesn't know if she's going to live with her mom or dad. Instead of feeling sad for her, Clarence explains that he used to have a dad years ago, but now has Chad, his mom's girlfriend, who lets him do what he wants and it cheers up Amy. A simple way of approaching the subject of divorce. And of course, the dynamic of Belson and his mother. She dotes on him while his father is out traveling for work and gets walked over by Belson, and he feels small, so he picks on other people in the attempts of getting people to like him. And yes, A LOT of other ridiculous stuff occurs, like trashing houses and ruining other public events or buildings, but it's also a cartoon. Most Looney Tunes skits involved animals trying to kill each other, often in graphic detail of guns being pointed in each others faces, but golly gee if an animated boy breaks a ceiling. As a guardian of a child, it's your job to explain reality vs. imagination. Speaking of imagination, Clarence is one of the best examples of kids playing with each other without the use of technology. Other than Belson playing video games and the occasional watching of television, Clarence and the others entertain themselves with their imagination. They explore outdoors, have pinecone fights, play in the river, in the park, bike ride, etc. In 'Rise N' Shine,' Clarence gets up at 5am and does a bunch of activities that don't revolve around a tv or computer. I think it's silly to think that this show isn't appropriate for the age group that it's recommended to. It has plenty of lessons to learn, when I watch I feel genuine nostalgia of how it was like to be a child playing without the computer we all have nowadays, and as long as you put in the time to explain things you may not "agree" with, the show is more than entertaining to watch.
Parent Written byConcernedCartoonist May 4, 2014

Clarence's Charm Reflects the 80s/90s Childhood

The show itself reflects on how zany and fun the kids have adventures and not hinder down to potty humor or something that would turn off Adults. This show not only appeals to both kids and adults, it creates an atmosphere of imagination and many reference and influences of the 80s and 90s cartoons.
Kid, 11 years old May 19, 2014

"Thank yooouuuuuuuuuuu!" -Clarence

My profile: https://www.commonsensemedia.org/users/epic-waffles This is a good and funny show about an immature 10-year old kid in fourth grade named Clarence. There is just violence when Clarence gets in fights, and in the episode Pretty Great Day With A Girl they say that they think Clarence and Amy are going to make out. Also, in the episode Clarence Gets A Girlfriend, Clarence goes on a date with Ashley.
Parent of an infant, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, and 18 year old Written bymykidsarebabies April 21, 2015

NICE

Teen, 17 years old Written byDavis01108 January 7, 2015

PLEASE READ

THIS SHOW IS BAD AND IN THE EPISODE WHERE CHAD WANTS TO OPEN UP A STORE.CLARENCE GETS UP AT 5:00 am TO GO OVER TO SOMEONES HOUSE.WHAT PARENTS ARE THAT TO LET THERE KID TO LEAVE THE HOUSE AT 5:00
Teen, 15 years old Written bythefiercekid December 9, 2014

Great!

It's not meant to be educational. It's not meant to be a role model. It's supposed to be a fun treat for kids. As a teen, I have to say that Clarence is my favorite show. It's super fun, and hilarious!
Teen, 14 years old Written byJayhawk42 September 24, 2014

Perfection

I believe that this show is beyond worthwhile. I don't know about all the autism rumors, but regardless this show is completely safe for 8+. Even if you have to sacrifice a couple IQ points(because of the non-educational side of this show), watch this. It's a lot better than some of these show like Uncle Grandpa and Steven Universe.
Teen, 15 years old Written byGregoryMccormick123 June 16, 2014

I have grown to love Clarence!

I actually want to give Clarence 5 out of 5 stars, but I only have 2 problems with the show. My first problem is that the characters eat gross things like half eaten pizza, half drank soda, mud, chewed gum, etc. Eww. My other problem is that Clarence's "advice" isn't good for kids. He stole from a crane game, and a girl's pink light up shoes. His only good advice is to use your hands instead of the mallet on the game. Now that I got my two problems with the show out of the way, here are the good things about it. The animation is really unique. It's like a mix of Adventure Time, Gravity Falls, Steven Universe, and The Simpsons. The acting is really great too. Clarence's voice is hysterical, and so is Sumo's. Jeff's voice is nice too. Amy and Ashley's voices are kinda cute. This show is also very charming and i'm always relaxed when I watch. The plots are childhood simple. Like hanging out at a play area in a fast food restaurant. For those who are familiar with play area at fast food restaurants such as McDonald's and Burger King. Those kinds of play areas. That's what the first episode Fun Dungeon Face Off is about. Another childhood simple episode is Money Broom Wizard. Where Clarence, Sumo, and Jeff go to an arcade called The Pizza Swamp (parody of Chuck E. Cheese's). My favorite episodes so far are tied for two. They are Lost in the Supermarket and Dinner Party. Both episodes I had a blast watching. It's just a really nostalgic show. Another great thing about it is the humor. I laugh so hard when I watch it. Sometimes I almost fall out of my chair when I watch it. It's really that hysterical. Overall, I really like this cartoon so far. In fact, I REALLY want to give it 5 out of 5 stars. I've seen every episode except for Jeff's New Toy so far. I might catch JNT someday, and I end up loving JNT, i'll change my 4 out of 5 rating to 5 out of 5. I'll update when I see Jeff's New Toy. UPTDATE: I haven't seen JNT yet, but since I had to go to Church last night after dinner, I recorded the new episode Honk. It was an almost perfect episode IMO. It was perfect until Jeff's "plan" to snap Clarence out if it with EVERYBODY honking horns ruined it. Really Jeff?! Two wrongs don't a right. So what's the point of your "taste of your own medicine" s**t? That was just mean, Jeff. Stupid f**king Jeff, and his s**t! Oh, and he's supposed to be the smart one! Yet he made that stupid a**hole mother**king goshd**n plan! The ending was just meh. Now the positives for Honk were the humor. Clarence's horn cracked me up. I also liked his dinosaur suit. So it was an almost perfect episode, but Jeff ruined it. UPDATE AGAIN: GOOD NEWS! I FINALLY saw Jeff's New Toy tonight while dinner. How was it? It was very good. Sadly, it wasn't 10 out of 10, but it came close. My only flaw with JNT was Jeff obsessing over the toy got a tiny bit annoying. Not VERY annoying, just a TINY bit. Other than that, I enjoyed it a lot. It was extremely funny, the show Clarence/Jeff/Sumo love reminded me of SpongeBob and Patrick's love for Mermaid and Barnicale Boy, the plot was very groundbreaking, and the episode reminded me of the Fanboy and Chum Chum episode where Fanboy breaks Chum Chum's Man-Arctica figure, which was a good F&CC episode (respect my opinion on that show or you suck). Anyways, I really liked JNT, I'll give the episode a 9.5/10. Tomorrow, CN will air Dollar Hunt, it looks pretty good. Wikipedia says the episode after Dollar Hunt will be an episode where Clarence goes to the zoo. I'm definitely looking forward to the zoo one, because it sounds like another childhood simple episode. I LOVED going to the zoo as a kid, so that episode is guaranteed to bring back memories like every other childhood simple episode of the show, CN should've aired Zoo first, but Dollar Hunt looks cool too. I'll record it because i'm going to Applebee's for dinner tomorrow night. Can't wait for both episodes, especially Zoo! UPDATE YET AGAIN: I saw Dollar Hunt, Zoo, and Rise and Shine. All three were perfect! They had me cracking up from start to end. Zoo was the best one of the three. It was childhood simple like I expected, it was so funny, and the best part was Clarence and Belson looking at the dolphins and Belson calling Clarence his buddy. I smiled during that scene and cried a bit, because I finally saw Belson's not so mean side. As for Dollar Hunt, I couldn't stop laughing at it. My favorite part was Clarence's line "I screwed it up myself, and now I got to screw it down myself". I almost fell out of my chair, that line made me laugh so hard. Rise and Shine, laughed the whole time I watched it. Thanks to these episodes I have grown to love this show. It's awesome, one of my favorite Cartoon Network shows, I really love it, and it's just a really great show. I give DH, Zoo, and RaS 10/10, and i'm changing my overall score for Clarence from 4/5 to 5/5.
Kid, 10 years old May 3, 2014

I'm surprised Cartoon Network

I thought this was going to be one of those crappy shows that never make it but it was good
Kid, 11 years old May 2, 2014

Cute!!!

Clarence is obviously Steven Universe without magic (they're both pudgy and naive) but it's adorable! They go on pretending adventures, make their own currency, and make new friends. Best of all...NO FART JOKES!
Adult Written byMarvinMfz March 10, 2015