Complex anime series too violent for young kids.

Adult Written byrobinbanks December 28, 2009

Great show, for those who like this sort of stuff

For starters, I loved this show. Great plot, and easily one of the most creative endings ever, although I won't be spoiling that. However, there are a few concerns for younger kids: The couple of drug references, the scene with the character Nina and the table (although that's something that would normally be cut by American producers), and some of the WMDs later on, as well as the position of the character Kallen when she pilots her mecha and a few other violent scenes. Overall, none of the characters are exceptional role models, and especially not Lelouch and Suzaku. If you are older, however, and like this genre of anime, then you should watch it. Some love it, some hate it, so be be warned.
Parent of an infant and 7 year old Written bySteffauri516 September 3, 2010

A great anime...For teens and adults

As a personal opinion, I think that this is a great show---For teens and adults. I have a 7 year old daughter and this show is defenately out for her. The series takes place in the near future when a fictional country overtakes Japan and many other countries around the world; a young Prince of the empire named Lelouch vows to avenge the death of his mother (which is very graphic) and take over his father's kingdom. There is LOTS of violence including gun use, knives, swords, flamethrower use, drunk driving (brief reference) explosives and "mecha" or "giant robots" fighting. There is also a lot of blood, but no gore. As for the sexual stuff, there are some references and multiple full-body or upper-body nude scenes, mostly of young female characters in the series. The language isn't too coarse, but obviously innapropriate for any child to use: words such as, a*s, b***h, d**n, and h**l are frequently used. The rolemodels (for the most part) are also very negative. The Emperor is portrayed as a racist, abrasive and brazen man who stands for inequality, the good rolemodels are very few and far between--Princess Nunnally and Princess Euphemia who stand for peace in their nation are virtually the only positive rolemodels that act without violence, but one of them is killed off in a hellacious shooting. So again, great show for teens and adults, this show is off for anyone under 14.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMiwa-Sempai June 7, 2009

If you're over 13 and love anime, you're in the right place!

Adult Swim has added another winner to its anime lineup. Code Geass is one of my favorite television shows, just the right mix of politics and action. First off, I wouldn't reccomend this to children under 12. There is plenty of blood and shooting. Dictatorship comes into play a lot in this series, and human lives are thrown away as easily as garbage. Lots of mass killing, though not usually shown on screen. I think a normal thing in this show is people saying that sacrificing others for the sake of a better future is okay... Really, the violence in this show is pretty standard for anime. A lot of the plot centers around the the morality of war and dictatorship and killing. The main character, Lelouch, also has the power to control others against their will, and the morality of doing such is often discussed as well. In short, younger kids or teens may get confused or bored. True anime fans will relish in watching Code Geass, though I assure you! It will keep them on the edge of their seat, wanting more.
Teen, 14 years old Written byKid with Morals June 6, 2010

Excellent Anime isn't for most minors.

This anime is a materpiece, despite its inappropriate content. Many of these reviews don't express the negatives in the series properly; Im guessing the author of the top review only watched the first one or two episodes. The Bad Stuff: Violence- This anime is extremely violent and graphic, with several scens of paramilitary combat and soldiers murdering innocent civilians. There is also a scene of a woman has been murdered graphically lying dead atop of her horrified daughter. The Japanese are subject constant rascism, and are often called "monkeys" abused. Sex- There are several scenes of female characters naked (albeit with censorship), there are some references to sex, plenty of sexual tension, and some female characters assume suggestive poses. There is a brief, confusing scene in which it is unclear what a character is doing, but it can be interpretted sexually. Language- In the English Dub, words like "d***" are used, but in the Japanese Dub, F-bombs can be read in the subtitles. Consumerism- There is plenty of product placement throughout, courtesy of Pizza Hut Drugs- One character is an alcoholic, and is seen intoxicated. Also, there are scenes of people under the influence of a fictional hallucinogen called Refrain. Role Models- Lelouch is sometimes ruthless in his methods, killing allies that are no longer useful in order to kill enemies. He sometimes refers to his inferiors and his enemies as "pawns" and his war as a chess game, showing his disregard for human life. He is eventually corrupted by his power of absolute control. The Good Stuff Messages- Lelouch fights for equality and liberation of the oppressed. Suzaku is bent on finding a nonviolent way to solve problems. Role Models- Lelouch is caring brother towards his handicapped sister and only wants justice for her and his mother, who was murdered. Suzaku tries to minimize the amount of deaths in the world. They both strive for a peaceful, "gentle world." Summary- This beautifully made anime touches on the questions of morality for war, oppresion, murder, and power. It teaches the value of human life and human rights. It does, however, contain graphic demonstrations of murder and genocide. It also has sexual content which is not appropriate for most. Verdict- 16+, with exceptions for maturity.
Parent Written byErth March 12, 2013

This site's review doesn't mention the fan-service in this show.

Code Geass is a really good series, and this review is good. However, IT DOESN'T MENTION THE FAN-SERVICE, ETC. There is a character that is caught naked a few times, and it even shows a nipple for half a second at one point. Also, there is a scene where a girl is implied to be pleasuring herself while looking at a picture of another girl. This part isn't really that bad, and will likely be ignored by kids since you sort of have to know what she is doing. Forget that the violence is inappropriate for kids. With Call of Duty and other games many are playing, it really isn't that bad. It's the nudity that is the main problem. It is possible that it is censored in the American publication (I've only seen the Japanese), but it still is an important thing to consider that this website's review makes no mention of. Other than that, it's a great series. The story is great, and the main character has a very interesting struggle with morals.
Teen, 16 years old Written bySouranply July 14, 2012

Philosophical Masterpiece

Code Geass was one of the first anime series I actively watched. Since finishing it, it still remains as the best work of visual literature that I have ever encountered. The setting for Code Geass is a masterly created alternate fiction where portions of our history have been changed. This can be of interest to kids and adults who enjoy history. In this world, Britain was kicked out of their homeland and forced to found the Empire of Brittania in the American colonies. The series builds a lot of metaphors of real life, as it makes clear that no one nation are really the bad guys, as Brittania itself is somewhat an allegory of America who invaded Japan (Middle East in real life) for resources. In the anime, an exiled Prince of Brittania is given a power called Geass which allows him to control the minds of anyone he comes into eye contact with. This brings up quite a few moral dilemmas, such as the taking away of free will and what a person would do if they were given the ability to change the world. Lelouch, the exiled prince, is not a nice guy. He kills and manipulates to get his way, but after watching the whole series, you will understand his motive and philosophy and understand why he truly did it. Besides first glimpses, this anime is not about a nation’s struggle to become independent, and that merely acts as an initial setting. This series is about what people would really do for revenge or to try make the world a better place. The cast of characters contrast very well with competing ideals and incentive. As I said before, no one in this series is truly evil. Everyone has a reason for doing what they are doing. This series poses a lot of questions about religion, morality, politics and society in general. Overall, this anime is a masterpiece, but do remember that it does contain violence and suggestive scenes. Parents must ultimately decide if their kids will enjoy it due to the fighting robot suits or due to the philosophical questions posed. Most people should love this, intellectuals will adore it.
Teen, 16 years old Written bySomeDeadGuy July 11, 2010

Slick, smart, and action packed. Just be wary around kids.

One of the smarter and original anime series' to come out of Japan, Code Geass is also one of the best. I haven't seen R2 (second series) yet, but R1 is absolutely phenomenal. It's not perfect; there are a few times where characters' actions make no sense and had me scratching my head. However, I didn't care about that much because the animation is clean, bright, and nice to look at, the music is great, the action is pulse-pounding, and above all, the story is quite possibly the greatest war story ever told in an anime. I'd explain more about it, but that would just spoil how brilliant this tale is. It's basically a story of war, rebellion, morality, strategy, and the supernatural, all rolled into one. Oh yeah, and there are giant robots. Now, as great as it is, don't go around showing this to your Pokemon or DBZ loving kid brother. For starters, Code Geass is quite violent, even as far as mainstream anime goes. Most of the action takes place in giant robots, but the action that doesn't is quite bloody. There is also some of what is known as "fan service" by the anime community (sexy scenes of female characters meant to gain a... reaction out of male fans), most of which centers on a certain female character, Kallen. It's a running gag for her to be caught in the middle of bathing by other characters. In one particular scene (in the version not censored for Adult Swim), you see both her bare butt and breasts (including nipples). Concerning profanity, d**n, h***, a**, and b***h are all used sporadically with a s**t or two thrown in if I recall correctly. Then there's the issue of the negative messages and role models. Despite both actually being likable, neither of the two main characters, anti-hero Lelouch and anti-villain Suzaku, are particularly good people. Suzaku is a spineless idealist who betrays his own people time and time again. He's also against murder despite being a soldier. Main protagonist Lelouch genuinely cares about certain people and doesn't want to see them hurt, but his methods are questionable at best and completely heinous at worst. A lot of the show's drama revolves around how these two leads become bigger and bigger hypocrites until the very end, when their anger and passion for their respective ideals is only matched by their absolute hypocrisy. Neither of these characters should be looked up to. Other characters are much better role models, with the heavily-implied-as-Suzaku's-lover Princess Euphemia being a bastion of purity, kindness, and goodwill. There are a few messages that could be considered reprehensible, such as how some characters believe that killing is fine as long as it's in the name of freedom, but the overall message that racism is wrong is definitely a very good one. However, if you're mature enough to handle the content, I absolutely recommend this incredibly slick and intelligent series. It's exhilerating. It makes you think. And above all else, it's entertaining.
Adult Written byDavid Christopher January 27, 2010

Iffy for 14!?!?!

This is DEFFINATLY 13 and up! Totally on for mature 12 year olds too!! There is only ONE scene that's even CLOSE to TV-14!! (The show switches between TV-14 and TV-PG) The show is one of the best I've ever seen!! Look into it if you can! It's a blast for young adults and tweens alike!! P.S. If your over 30 you probably would have ZERO interest in it.
Adult Written byEphraim Rogers February 10, 2014

Fantastic anime, sometimes graphic

First off, Code Geass is heavily underrated by CSM. It is easily 5 stars, one of the best animes ever made. Despite what the main review says, Lelouch can be considered a good role model, though many of the other characters (especially Suzaku) start off as good role models and become hypocrites later on, Lelouch always remains true to his goal to create a peaceful world where everyone can be considered equal. At times it seems as though he has left that path, but then we realize that he is still the same person we have grown to love as a character, who is willing to do anything for his sister. Things get iffy here. There is graphic frontal nudity as many as 3 times throughout the series, however this is entirely dependent upon which version you watch, certain versions do not have any graphic nudity at all. Violence is primarily through non-graphic mech battles, though many characters are shot, for example, in one particularly violent scene, thousands of Japanese men, women, and children are gunned down in a massacre (though this is not glorified, it is depicted as being disgusting and horrifying). It's been a few weeks since I last watched it, but I don't believe the swearing was especially bad (I don't think it ever used the f word). I've never really found "consumerism" to be relevant to ratings, but to those who care, I'm pretty sure Pizza Hut paid many millions to be featured in this show, because characters are depicted eating Pizza Hut pizza at least 42 times over the course of the series (most of which is in the first season. Overall I would give this a 5 star, iffy for 13, depending on the version you watch.
Adult Written bybargoth125 July 21, 2013

An Excellent Anime For Its Genre

An excellent anime with a compelling story that is well written, I would recommend Code Geass to any serious anime lover. It fantastically combines the “Humongous Mecha” genre with the supernatural in the form of Geass, and adds to it an epic cast of characters, and a plot that hinges, not only on action, but massive amounts of thought provoking elements that get the viewer thinking. It even contributes various philosophical questions into the mix. The story focuses, not only on the protagonist, Lelouch, but also on Suzaku and many other characters that are central to the plot. Personally I do think that the show provides positive role models with a positive message, though your mileage may vary on that. As far as the content goes, due to violence, strong language (especially in the subbed version), some nudity, and some use of alcohol and other drugs (notably refrain), as well as the complicated nature of the show, it is clearly aimed for a higher age bracket, most ideally young adults. However, I see no reason why a 14-year-old can’t watch it, given that he or she is mature enough. When it comes to shows like this, I would say it’s like sex; you are ready to watch it whenever you feel mature enough, and ready to face the consequences. Therefore, I say pause at 14, and definitely ok for 16-17 and up. My only major complaint is that there were too many product placements. If there ever was a censored version, I would half-expect Kallen’s nipples in the nude scenes to be covered by Pizza Hut logos, instead of censor bars.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBananaMan1337 July 23, 2012

Code Geass OK 13 And Up.

I started watching this anime when I was eleven in secret, and LOVED it. I finished about a year later. Ok, not much drugs except for one episode, some sexual content, not much, a LOT of violence i.e. people splattering across the screen with blood, OBVIOUS product placement,as one of the characters is seen eating Pizza Hut and signs advertising it too, some good role models, like Nanaly or sometimes Lelouch, who protects his friends. Very good show, but also veeery violent.
Teen, 14 years old Written byAwesome_O March 27, 2011

14+

Violence: 4/5: Terrorist scenes with lots of blood and gore. Most teens could handle it, but some may be a little uneasy by it. Sexual Content: 2.5/5: Though it's mainly just innocent kisses and accidental innuendo, there is a very risque scene that implies that a girl is doing...an act on a table. Language: 1/5: Nothing worse then "d*mn" on occasion. Consumerism: 0/5: Not an issue in the English version, but it'd probably get a 3/5 for the original Japanese version due to a lot of Pizza Hut logos that were removed in the English dub. Drinking/Drugs/Smoking: 0/5: Not an issue. This show is brilliant and I really enjoy it. On for ages 14+, iffy for ages 11-13, off for 10 and under.
Teen, 14 years old Written byLiveImagination October 5, 2011

Great series, but not for younger kids.

I found this anime to be absolutely amazing. It combined interesting characters with a fresh idea and a complex plot that leaves on the edge of your seat almost bursting from the suspence and excitement you get out of this show. This show is one of the best 'war' animes around. Younger viewers may get bored when watching this as the plot is (again) quite complex. While the series does contain a fair bit of violence, most of the fighting is done in large metal robots, but what isn't is very brutal and comtains huge amounts of bloodshed (the worst being an attempted genocide in one episode). Another reccuring issue is the negative messages the main characters project, an example of which is Lelouch and his belief that if you kill in the name of freedom then it is just. Language is also there with words such as B***h and S**t being thrown in every now and then. The overall message of the series though is a good one, stating that racism is wrong. If you think you/they are mature enough to handle the content shown in the anime then go for it. This is one anime you will not regret watching.
Teen, 14 years old Written byanimeboy22 April 9, 2008

I good show for those who like this genre.

I think it is appropriate for 14+. I like it, but I pretty much like every anime adult swim has. It has violence, and mild curse words. But I don't think its that big of a deal, but that's me, from a kid's perspective. If your kids mature, let 'em watch it. But there was one episode involving a character in a shower where they had to censor, which is rare for mainstream anime. The voice acting is very good, too.
Adult Written byDragocn88 April 9, 2008

Personal favorite

Really good show, I have seen seven episodes and I'm hooked. Parents, this show is not, I repeat NOT for little children. Its pretty violent (If they can handle watching the news and pretty violent stuff, then you can watch it with them) and there is content that is not for children. For example, Lelouch kills his half-brother and a flashback shown that features Lelouch's mother being killed, etc. For sexual content, in one episode Kallen is seen taking a shower, but nothing bad is shown. The language is not that bad, your kid has probably heard worse words at school. I recommend this show for teens and adults. This reviews is base on the seven episodes that I watch.
Adult Written byJTShiro April 9, 2008

Lots of Violence, some sexual content, and brief language

This is a complex series from the makers of the popular Gundam series, it is mainly targeted at teenagers or older, main issues include the violence where bloodshed is common, but not featured in every episode, sexual content is mostly due to partial nudity (in a few episodes, mainly featuring the female characters in a spring or shower, and main character Lelouch taking a shower) and light innuendo, language is mild, so overall this show should be rated TV14, but a few can get away with a TVPG rating
Teen, 15 years old Written byRayci August 23, 2016

Basic Anime.

Overall a lot of blood and violence just like in other fighting anime. Nudity included (Fanservice). Basically a normal anime
Adult Written bynduns February 28, 2013

Absolute, utterly brilliant

This is easily one of the most brilliantly-written shows ever made, not just by anime standards but shows in general. It always keeps your guessing, constantly tests your intelligence, has a wonderful and interesting cast of characters and even has an ending that so tragically satisfying, it's amazing! If you're old enough to handle mature content, I strongly recommend this one. In fact, I'm ashamed of myself for having never watched this series sooner.
Teen, 13 years old Written byWyrmhole99 April 29, 2011

Amazing anime that is fine for mature teens

Code Geass is one of the best anime shows that I have ever seen. However, it does contain some content that is inappropriate for younger viewers. This show is about a fictitious world where the Britannian Empire has taken control of most of the world, including Japan. A high-schooler, whos mother was killed by the Britannian Empire, plots to destroy the empire. There is lots of shooting and violence, but only some of it has blood. Most of the violence takes place inside giant robots. Where there is blood, there is a lot of it, but it is only shown on-screen for a short period of time. There is also lots of racism. Lots of characters swear, but it is nothing that a preteen couldn't handle. There is also a bit of nudity and sexual content (that is intended to be sexy), but it is nothing that a mature teen can't handle. On YouTube, the nudity is censored. This is a great, complex anime that has no dull episodes and is absolutely wonderful.
Teen, 17 years old Written bykat_marie December 31, 2010

Not for kids

This is a great anime, in fact, it's my favorite one ever, but it is not at all for kids. There is too much language, nudity and violence for anyone under 14 and even then, I'd say it depends on the teen in question. Under fourteen, it is completely out of the question. But that being said, when teens become mature enough for it, they will really love it.