All member reviews for Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey

Update of Sagan classic is smart, visually spectacular.

Parent of a 10 and 13 year old Written byMattmchugh April 16, 2014

Beautifully done, solid content, and Tyson makes its accessible

For those who remember Carl Sagan's "Cosmos," this update goes more for eye-candy graphics than big, ponderous ideas. That's not meant as a criticism, since the visuals really draw in younger viewers. The celestial CGI looks great and the animated segments featuring historic figures from science are fun to watch and informative. In many ways, the show seems to be made to appeal to kids, though it's certainly sophisticated enough to keep adults interested. Even with the top-quality production, the real star is Neil deGrasse Tyson. Like Sagan, he radiates wonder and enthusiasm; unlike Sagan, he's never monotone (sorry, Carl, but sometimes you were!). Tyson projects the perfect mix of intelligence and likability, giving the eloquent script -- written by Sagan's widow and original series writer, Ann Druyan -- just the right voice. He's like your favorite uncle, telling exciting stories about things that would seem dull from any other source. Personally, I'm finding it a pleasure to have something this good to watch with my kids. I think smart kids over 8 will be able to follow most of it, and tweens and up will definitely learn something. Be warned that, while not disparaging of personal faith in any way, the show does not shy away from noting how religious doctrine is often at odds with science. To its credit, it shows that thinkers such as Giordano Bruno, Galileo, and Newton -- who ran afoul of the religious leaders of their day -- were motivated not by atheism but by deeply held beliefs that they were exploring the full scope of creation -- something worth remembering in age where, sadly, many people still seem to think science and religion remain at odds. -- mm
Teen, 14 years old Written byNicky12345 April 25, 2014

AMazing

Some episodes contained words like dammit.
Kid, 9 years old April 5, 2014

Blows your mind

Mind blowing. You won't believe your eyes. Neil DeGrasse Tyson makes it easy to understand and thrilling. It is hard to believe we are only in the last 14 seconds of the "Cosmic Calendar." I can't wait to see the next episodes.
Educator Written bynicolew2 October 13, 2014

Kid, 11 years old October 12, 2014

Great science show for the whole family. VERY educational.
Kid, 12 years old August 26, 2014

Review is wrong

The statement that there is no blood/injury shown is completely wrong. It is a wonderfully educational show, and the visuals are excellent. However there is quite a bit of violence in later episodes, a man's eyes are injured (injury not shown, but bloodied hands covering it is), a young boy is crushed by a falling house and he is shown, alive, but covered in blood. Many deaths shown, but not violent ones (most of old age), even with the paper-cut-out-like animation, the violence can be quite tense and realistic. Some uses of "hell" damn" and "a--". Also, some characters drink wine and smoke. All in all, very educational and intelligent show, but watch out for violence.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybratser July 6, 2014

Wonderful Science Show For All

This reboot to the classic Carl Sagan show is magnificent and informatively eye-opening in all ways (CAN'T BELIEVE SETH MACFARLANE MADE THIS!!!!!). It tells us all about the universe and in some instances about how the world will be in disaster in the future. It tells us about the planets and how some could've sustained life years ago, and it tells us about these types of subjects in eye-popping ways. Neil DeGrasse Tyson rocks the house in this spectacular show yet to become a classic!
Kid, 10 years old June 10, 2014

very educational

kids 7 and over should watch this show because it is very educational and will teach kids about things that go on in the universe.
Parent of a 4 year old Written bylrc98 August 22, 2014

Still worth it for younger kids

While my 5 year old didn't understand the concepts fully, she still learned quite a bit and was fascinated by the imagery.
Teen, 16 years old Written bycinnagurl April 30, 2014

Cosmos

This show is absolutely amazing! It is so fascinating and i love how it shows just how small we are. it gives so much info and you learn a lot from it. it is so interesting. they talk about space and the universe and galaxies, to the origin of the Earth and the Origin of life to the speed of light. This show really does raise a lot of questions about space. is there an end? are there black holes within black holes and if so are we in a black hole? if we are inside a black hole what is outside a black hole? is it the inside of another black hole or something else? just amazing. totally recommend it. we watch it every week as a family