All member reviews for Courage the Cowardly Dog

Cult fave 'toon plays over-the-top violence for laughs.

Adult Written bymitsukik July 3, 2016

Artfully Made Cartoon, not THAT violent

What parents need to know is that this is a horror comedy cartoon aimed at children. There's some scares (some are enough to frighten adults), it's still offset by the violence being bloodless and cartoony and a lot of comedy and genuinely heartfelt moments in between. Let me tell you that I grew up watching this show as a kid, when I was 5, 6, and 7 years old I watched it all the time, and I turned out just fine. It really depends on the episode though. The creepy CG animated King Ramses scared the absolute bajeebus out of me a young'n, and I understand why, but now he makes me laugh. Doc Gerbil scared me and still creeps me out (I recall a babysitter rushing into my room after hearing the audio in that episode and thinking I was watching a horror movie and then just sort of sighed in relief when she saw it was "only a cartoon", I still laugh thinking about that.) There are some episodes that are scarier than others, as mentioned, that are directed as if they were horror movies, there are episodes that are more goofy and slapstick in tone, but with supernatural themes... And then there are a few episodes that are downright heartwarming (or heart breaking) like The Last of the Starmakers. The show has some surprisingly positive messages. Courage unconditionally loves his family, even Eustace, and while some of the baddies can be downright nasty and terrifying, they're clearly the bad guys... And that just makes it all the more heartwarming when the monster of the day turns out to be not so scary afterall and is nice to Courage, like in Courage Meets Bigfoot or The Hunchback of Nowhere. I never realized how artfully made the show is until I got older. The show is directed like a film would, and there's a lot of interesting cinematography as well as classic cartoon exaggeration. If you grew up with the show like I did, you should know which episodes should wait until kids are a little older.
Teen, 13 years old Written byyeahImaBrony164 March 15, 2016

IT TRAUMATIZED ME FOR MONTHS

OK, look this show looks innocent but there are scenes that just scared the living crap out of me. I will say It's safe-ish for teens. the type of fear I experienced was indescribable. It shows the best was to show fear that gets under your skin is to change the animation.
Kid, 11 years old February 6, 2016

Meh.

Somewhat entertaining TV show has annoying characters, repetitive plots, gross imagery and over-the-top slapstick violence; don't bother unless you're into this kind of shallow stuff.
Teen, 16 years old Written bysdeadest October 31, 2015

My favorite show on Cartoon Network

Well, I like this show because it always has a moral to a story that they're telling, It's actually funny, clever and witty but scary at the same time, And mostly it has very complex storylines. I recommend this.
Adult Written bydidimimiify March 30, 2015

It's good but not for under 10

Im 18, when i was around 6 I started to watch the show and i remember how scared i was when i was watching it, i got nightmares but still watched it because it was somehow mesmerizing. Today, by nostalgia, i watched it again on Netflix, i was chocked how crazy the images are, it is at the same time desgusting and has a very dark, negative atmosphere to it. It is a GOOD show ! however not made for kids under 10 in my opinion. The humour can be a little subtile to even make the parents laugh so watch it with them ! :)
Teen, 14 years old Written bysahil22 March 16, 2015

it is good

its good for kids up 6 it also has good messages sometime some violence under 6 aged kids will get scared
Teen, 17 years old Written byHorace Williams March 6, 2015

This was a great show. Well done, Cartoon Network!

Courage the Cowardly Dog was a great show. Nice animation, great humor, nice plot, etc. Bring this back, CN
Teen, 13 years old Written bybands4life October 16, 2014

My Review on "Courage the Cowardly Dog"

Parents need to know that even though this show is a cartoon and its on cartoon network, its extremely creepy. "The Mask" episode is probably the creepiest btw. This is not for 11 and under. CSM is wrong though, there is no "over-the-top violence", the violence is mild and a little comical at times. I watched this show since I was 6, but thats me. I like creepy Tim Burton like feel of the show. One episode, "The Mask", implies prostitution, but will probably go over kids heads. "The Mask" was rated TV-PG, but I think they should all be TV-PG because of the extreme creepiness. "The Mask" could actually be TV-14 because its the creepiest episode, there is implied prostitution, and Eustace says "damn" in that episode. Only 11+ for this one, pretty darn scary. Love the show tho.
Teen, 15 years old Written bydanny 7000 October 13, 2014

courage the cowardly dog is not for little kids

courage the cowardly dog was an amazing classic cartoon but it was a very morbid and dark show it was not really for kids because their was an episode where 2 murders come back from the dead and they try to sacrifice the old lady and their was an episode called the demon in the matress which is one of the darkest episodes of the show it was a parody of the exorcist muriel gets possesed by a demon and her head turns around like the exorcist and then her head falls off and falls on the ground with that being said i think courage the cowardly dog was an amazing cartoon but it was not for little kids and i dont reccomend it for kids under the age of 13
Kid, 7 years old September 6, 2014

The coolest villain is king ramses

King ramses! But i wonder... Why's he evil? But he's CGI O.O
Adult Written byJackCraft123 August 25, 2014

Courage the Cowardly Childrens Show?

(I am writing this review in the form of a essay) Courage the Cowardly Dog really pushed the Y7 TV rating, and could have an impact on young kids who haven't developed the skills needed to know the difference between make believe and reality. Courage the Cowardly Dog is known for its dark tones, scary imagery, and overall disturbing themes. Not all episodes are pushing it, in fact some are really goofy, but believe me, these nine episodes will say otherwise. Courage the Cowardly Dog has been known for its dark tones that seriously pushed the Y7 TV rating. 3 episodes that support my opinion are “The Mask,” ”Freaky Fred,” and “Everyone Wants to Direct.” “The Mask” is about an abused, dog hating, mentally ill cat that visits the farm. it starts off already pushing it by showing such a creepy mask on the cat, then she repeatedly beats up courage and refuses to face reality, this is where you need to remind your kids that this is a kid show and this is make believe. Next is “Freaky Fred,” Muriel’s nephew, Fred, visits the farm with a weird obsession for shaving. Its told by Fred’s narrative which is pretty creepy, its the look inside of person that is just flat out crazy such as the fact that he is always speaking in rhymes and always has a big grin on his face. Fred ends up shaving courage and afterwards taken to an asylum and when he leaves Courage finds that Fred shaved into his butt: “With love -Fred.” The dark tones found in this episode are that its exposing kids to mental illness when they may not be ready to understand that part of the world it is also inappropriate due to the illegal activity of animal cruelty. Lastly we have “Everyone Wants to Direct,” its about a zombie who says hes a director wanting to make a zombie movie, at first it seems ok until you find out his soul purpose. His plan is to revive his partner that the farm was built over so they can film themselves disemboweling Muriel. The Dark tones listed in these episodes push the Y7 TV rating by just being too disturbing for kids 5 to 8 and is exposing them to serial killers murdering them in such a way. Some kids may not understand the dark tones in these episodes, however they would understand is the scary imagery which is going to scare them. Courage the Cowardly Dog is too known for its scary imagery such as 3 episodes such as ”Perfect,” “Courage in the Big Stinkin’ City,” and “Windmill Vandals.” “Perfect” is about Courage getting so caught up in his own flaws that he makes a mental teacher for him to teach him how to be “Perfect.” The episode isn't really bad overall except for one part. When Courage falls asleep he sees some weird CGI fetis that looks like satans uterus and says “You’re not perfect (echos:perfect).” I mean what the hell! You can't put that on a Y7 tv show i mean when your older it doesn't look that scary ,but for a little kid, you just can't. Next is “Courage in the Big Stinkin’ City.” Courage, Muriel, and Eustace visit this cockroach (blech) named Schwick that tours them around the backstage of a theater in a New York environment. The episode isn't that bad itself except for a demonic claymation in the middle of the episode, pretty messed up, it starts off with a little girl playing a violin, however 2 seconds later it turns around to this crazy clamation with a throbbing face, bulging bloodshot eyes, “summer” teeth (summer here summer there summer missing), and a flapping tongue. Last is “Windmill Vandals,” four super amazing lifelike skeleton viking guys come to terrorize the farm i mean the drawing is like that top notch animation you see in shows like “King of the Hill”. The windmill vandals pull off heads, and will furthermore terrorize all who live on the farm. Nightmare fuel from childhood, How Fun! Courage the Cowardly Dog has been known for its disturbing themes that would have terrorized kids at a certain age who watched the show. Some examples to support my reasoning include the episodes: “King Ramsay’s Curse,” “The Great Fucilli,” and “The Demon in the Mattress.” “King Ramsay’s Curse” is about an ancient slab that gets stolen from King Ramsay’s tomb. And he wants revenge. The terrible CGI is a key factor in this episode, because unlike “Perfect”, King Ramsay appears for 3 whole minutes. King Ramsay just gives you the creeps and the way he talks is just so unnatural. Next is “The Demon in the Mattress” Muriel gets mad at her old mattress so she gets a new one possessed by a demon. Its basically a parody of the exorcist which you would never see in a kids show. It starts off with the symptoms of exorcism the Muriels head spinning in a full o360 spin then popping off. lastly it is “The Great Fucilli” Muriel, Eustace, and Courage meet a traveling stage’s owner The Great Fucilli later Courage finds out his plan is to turn them into puppets. At first the episode seems pretty tame until at the end when Courage rescues Eustace and Muriel they are puppets and the are dead. Courage has gone insane he spends the rest of his life using their dead bodies to try to live out his life normally, and its damn chilling. This is how the series would have ended if they haven't had been picked up for another season. To sum up, Courage the Cowardly Dog has been known for its dark tones, scary imagery, and overall disturbing themes. If your kids are watching this show i recommend you inform your kids the difference between make believe and reality. The content of the listed episodes should be at least be rated TVPG in my opinion because the show is a kids show with an interesting theme, even though sometimes it can get out of hand! The Mask was pushing it, Freaky Fred pushed it! my examples are the prostitution in the mask and the strong abuse and the story told from the perspective of a psycho in freaky fred, perfect had a jumpscare that doesn't fit with any animation and/or the series. And the great fucilli, the main character goes insane and the supporting characters well… died. O_O. This is why i am bringing in the rating system to support my facts. For example the only time you can change the rating of a Tv show is if its a recreational show (MythBusters, A Haunting, The Unexplained Files, etc). Also the regulations for a Y7 show are: They must not have sexual content of any kind (nudity, prostitution, sex, etc). Must not have any realistic violence (realistic heads chopped off, ripping someone apart, etc). Must not have adult dialogue(drugs, alcohol, strip clubs, etc) and must not have inappropriate language (cursing, adult jokes, body parts worded incorrectly) and courage the cowardly dog broke some of those rules. And it would be inexcusable nevertheless the show was created in 1999 (the rating system started somewhere around the 1990’s). So this is my opinion, however it should have been tweaked when its rating came out after the second season.
Adult Written byTheTrillonaire August 10, 2014

May Scare Young Kids.

Kid, 10 years old May 26, 2014

STOP WITH YOUR SAFE BUBBLES!

Guys... really I really don't understand I have watched since I was i was five and.... LOVED IT i hear worse at my school
Kid, 10 years old May 3, 2014

Used to give me nightmares

It's good though courage always saves Muriel and sometimes eustace
Teen, 16 years old Written bySuperMariofan64 March 16, 2014

Awesome show!

This is one of the best cartoons you can ever watch. It may have a lot of scary stuff in it but its very enjoyable.
Kid, 10 years old March 12, 2014

O.O 3 T-THREE STARS WHAT NO NOOOO NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Three stars a TIMLESS CARTOON CARTOON CLASSIC 3 START IT WON SO MANY AWARDS TO AND JUST TO GET DOWNRATED? I am s-sorry but this show was not really VIOLENT (with some scary exeptions that I will review) its like a kid friendly..... horror movie? XD that's the best way to put it. WATCH OUT FOR THESE PATICULAR EPISODES (Freaky Fred hes like that scary barber sweeny todd I have heard about...( King ramzees ok you can probably skip the parts with ramzees but this episode is HILARIOUS the man gauze the man in gauze KING RAMZEES HES NO SANTA CLAUSSSSS)<- actual song from the episode) yes courage was scary... AND THATS WHY WE WACHED IT AS TIM BURTONS SONG THIS IS HALLOWEEN SAYS "Lifes no fun withought a good scare" :D Ok I will admit there are some gross out things but guys cartoons are well cartoons I will unleash my inner grown up...) Ok they show is a little on the scary horror movie side but it give surprisingly very uncommon positive messages I recommend it for those who do not mind scariness this show shaped who I am today ive seen many horror movies and I am a littttle ermm weird I geuss you could say but im really brave not you can't hide your children forever. I ONCEAGAING REC - OME -MEND
Parent Written byelephantsswimming March 8, 2014

Too spooky for kids.

Kid, 12 years old March 2, 2014

entertaining but disturbing

I know this is a cartoon network show, but it is quite disturbing with episodes themed on canibalisim, murder, insanity, ect. More of an adult thing really, but the mix of cartoon and horror is very entertaining.
Kid, 8 years old November 8, 2013

Sooper dooper

I think it is really funny.
Adult Written bySourGalaxy October 13, 2013

Fantastic 2000s cartoon

This early 2000s cartoon was a real treat for kids who grew up in the early 2000s. This show was basically a horror movie for kids and it lives up to it's reputation of being scary. Now obviously this show isn't going to be as scary as a real horror movie, but for a kids show it was pretty creepy. You saw things like deformed cgi figures mixed in with the 2d animation or really dark plots like "The Mask" or "Perfect". Sometimes I feel this show wasn't intended for kids because there was an episode based on demonic possession and the demon had to be exorcised. The characters in this show were really likable especially courage and Muriel. Eustace was very mean to Courage, but he made a ton of funny remarks so I'll give him a pass. This cartoon also surprisingly has positive messages about loving your family as seen with episodes like "Remembrance of Courage Past" which a lot of people say is the saddest episode of the series. But like with most cartoons, this show had some bland episodes but it had more fantastic episodes than it did bad ones. Great show for kids and adults. I could recommend it to anyone, but really little kids may be frightened or depressed by it.