All member reviews for Cowboy Bebop

Space adventures meant for mature anime fans.

Teen, 16 years old Written byKavki St. Dane November 12, 2009

Brilliant - probably okay for level-headed young teens

It's brilliant in every sense, but it's not age-appropriate for little ones, and to be honest, I would think it would be rare to find one that would like it anyway - while there is a lot of good humor in it, it's also got a gritty style to it, and even when I find kids who play M rated games and whatnot, they usually go for the ones with shiny armor, high-tech computers, etc. The rating panel is on par for the most part, but there's a couple of things that got overlooked: for example, I'm fairly sure Faye drops the f-bomb once later in the series; earlier on there's one character who is shown to be a hermaphrodite (not actually sure if it's the correct terminology for the situation...) due to a mutation several years previous. All in all, I'd say it's probably okay for younger teens if they've got a good head on their shoulders - wouldn't recommend it for 12 or younger, though.
Adult Written byGod Of Television February 9, 2014

Predictable

Ok, so its a show about bounty hunters, and predictably they go after people with bounties in every episode. A monkey could've written something just as predictable. Why can't they be bounty hunters that solve world hunger or bring world peace? That would be a good, original show. But instead, they made a show about bounty hunters predictably chasing bounties.
Adult Written byutonium4 April 9, 2008

Successful Fusion of Anime, Westerns and Sci-Fi

Cowboy Bebop is a great introduction into anime for those new to it. Bebop is a benign show--adult themes are dealt with delicately and female characters are protrayed as strong and multidimensional. The soundtrack is phenomenal and it is is almost worth watching for that alone. My kids have watched and seemed to come away better for it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLedZepFan98 April 24, 2012

Ignore the rating of TV-MA

While this show is rated TV-MA it really is pretty tame.. there is no nudity. the profanity is pretty tame but it does use the "S Word" infrequently but other then that it's mild. cigarettes are smoked and beer is drank but kid's see that everywhere. but the show is really violent and may disturb children under 10. Kids should enjoy it for it's fast paced story, it's action and its humor.
Adult Written byAllie Pierson June 10, 2012

One of the best animes out there!!

This show is beast but it's not a kid's anime. It is okay for older teens, though.
Teen, 14 years old Written byvioletflames January 19, 2012

See you space cowboy :)

Cowboy Bebop is one of the best anime I have ever seen! While it may be amazing, it may not be appropriate for anyone under the age of 12. The fight scenes can get graphic, with lots of blood, but they usually aren't that bad. Faye wears a very skimpy outfit and she uses this to her advantage. There is one episode with a man who is now part woman because of an incident. The bebop crew smoke, drink, and gamble (Other than Ed and Ein, of course!.). Many episodes have a plot centered around, or including the bloody-eye drug. The plot may also be hard to follow for younger viewers or they may complain that there is not enough action in some scenes. Other than that, I would say that kids and teens 12 and up can and should watch this! They won't be sorry!
Adult Written bymyrab51 January 9, 2012

Brilliant, but for older teens

This is my all time favorite anime. I have seen it many times, and own the series. However, I have not let my 10 and 12 year old watch it. Pros: The main characters are well developed. Throughout the series you do grow to feel like you know them, and what they are thinking. The stories are good. The characters are intelligent, and have good humor. The female characters are free thinking and independent. The group takes in a homeless child and cares for her. When the characters do show emotional sides, they are believable and not too sappy. They are kind to animals, and have a pet dog. The soundtrack really great. The show is just highly entertaining. It is a guilty pleasure. Cons (from a family perspective): Some of the things that give the characters depth, are also things that would make you not want to invite them home to dinner around your kids. Although there is never sex on the show, the characters are sexual. Spike makes some comments sometimes such as "I love a woman that can kick my ...." Faye wears a bright yellow next to nothing outfit that is barely kept together by a pair of suspenders. She has very large breasts that barely fit in her top, and are occasionally a focus of attention. From time to time there are gender identity issues that come up. The child character is named Ed, and often confused for a boy. A supporting character was transgender. The main characters also have some bad habits which include smoking, drinking, gambling, shouting, cussing, and fighting. There are firearms, and people do get hurt with them. There is occasionally blood, death, and a one suicide. Wrap up: If you are a fan of anime and rated R action genre movies, you may (probably will) like Cowboy Bebop. If that genre doesn't really do it for you, than you will probably want to pass.
Teen, 15 years old Written bywho3697cares May 26, 2009

Not the best anime film, and I'm not usually a fan of the genre (not counting Studio Ghibli's children appropriate films), but I'm fascinated by Cowboy Bebop's film noir references and music influences.
Parent of a 13, 15, and 16 year old Written byNervousParentOf3Boys April 4, 2015

cowboy bebop was a really good anime for my boys.

This guy who made this anime also made Space Dandy and Fullmetal Alchemist. My boys loved them. And he misses the long lineup...
Parent of a 8, 9, and 10 year old Written byParentof3animefans February 22, 2015

LOVE IT

Teen, 13 years old Written byErenYeager52 January 7, 2015

Is it appropriate?

This is my second favorite anime. (attack on titan is my first) For starters this anime is very good I suggest you watching it. But its not very appropriate it has lots of violence and women in skimpy outfits and at one part they show a man/women in the shower. But other than that its very very good.
Teen, 17 years old Written byHorace Williams November 19, 2014

One of the best.

I love Cowboy Bebop. It's action packed, funny, and it has a good plot. I recommend it.
Teen, 17 years old Written bySeth S. March 8, 2014

Excellent, really excellent (but often brutal) show:

I would take hours to write a proper review of Cowboy Bebop. On the surface, it's just a violent, hyper-realistic cartoon. But the themes, ideas, and philosophies are what make Cowboy Bebop leagues ahead of other anime materials. 10/10
Kid, 12 years old May 7, 2013

Good Shows!

I think this show is for mature children who can control themselves. Its a fun, action-adventure in sapce that most will enjoy.
Parent Written byShugocharafan88 February 15, 2013

What is up with that "cool story, bro" thing.

The best plane ever. XD
Adult Written byCollegeGradGuy May 28, 2012

Most of what makes it great also makes it not for kids...

I say not for kids, when really your teen can probably handle it fine, but it's your call because the series is pretty incredibly violent, and characters are heavily sexualized. That's nowhere near all this series, which has an excellent score by Yoko Kano comprised of jazz and blues songs ranging from hauntingly somber to exciting and catchy, has to offer, but this is clearly not targeted at children.
Kid, 12 years old May 3, 2012

amazing , 12 +

its nice , not very gory , has a original and epic story, highly recommended, has some good characters and music.
Kid, 11 years old April 22, 2012

Bloody but entertaining space anime!

First off: Cowboy bebop is one of the best anime's out there. Great plot, bits of comedy and awesome characters. The thing is, there are lots of graphic deaths and guns in this film as well as frequent smoking and drinking. Language is relatively mild (sh*t, a*s, d*mmit etc) and there is some nudity. Another thing - the ending is very, very violent and sad. There is a very graphic gun scene at the end, which is not for kids. Great anime though! BBFC: 15 for strong animated violence, moderate language and nudity. My rating: R for Graphic violence and deaths, language and sex references.
Adult Written byRachael Ward March 19, 2012

One of the best anime titles out there

While this anime is obviously set for a mature audience, it is a character driven narrative that is worth watching together. The ideas of the right and wrong ways to live your life are presented in a unique sci-fi world and combines it with western like themes. You might need to be careful on who you show this to in terms of age and maturity but for those who can handle the violence and mature content, this anime is a feast for the eyes as well as the mind.
Adult Written byverum December 18, 2011

Great

A really, really good anime with a good English dub. It also features great music.