All member reviews for Dance Academy

Realistic Aussie drama explores teen issues like dating.

Kid, 11 years old February 29, 2012

Dance? More like DRAMA!!!

I like the messages of this show (try your best, be able to take risks, and be the real you) BUT, it's a little bit too sexual for me. In the beginning, Tara goes to the wrong bathroom, and unknowingly takes off her shirt, showing her bra to a guy she's never met. Than she and Kat jump off a BALCONY in their bikini's into a bay, with no idea about what could be down there! A BAY!!!! A boy has to room with Kat, cause their's not enough boy dormitries! That's not right! Infact, while the boys putting in his contacts, Kat's changing, because she think's that he can't see her, when he can! There are fistfights and cattyness. Tara hits a fellow student in the face with her dance shoe! It's very competitive, and the mean girl, Abigail is always trying to get Tara expelled. This show is not about dance, it's about Drama. Drama that parents teach their children not to create. I am not approving this show.
Parent Written bysumoni May 19, 2012

Wonderful show for preteens and up.

I really enjoy this show. I've watched 1 season and a few episodes of the 2nd. I do think you shouldn't let your kid watch it alone and here's why. Although you have a group of teens trying to become great dancers while finding themselves, big thing is their still learning. So they're going to make mistakes and get hurt just like any other teen. So it's important as a parent to make sure your son/daughter understands the consequences of the actions the characters do and why they shouldn't be mimicked. For example the character Kat, is very goofy, loves to be herself, and is very optimistic. Something a young girl would like to look up to. However due to Kat's home life, she doesn't fully appreciate how lucky she is to be at a privileged school. She treats her place sometimes as a joke and gets irritated when her friends don't want to goof off with her. She feels it's better to rebel and do what makes you feel good, rather than do what needs to be done. That's a great chance to talk to a pre-teen about personal responsibility, entitlement, and the importance of hard work. Also, Kat's mother is VERY neglectful, so it better explains why Kat acts the way she does.
Kid, 10 years old June 7, 2012

BEST SHOW EVER!

This is a great show! Any boy under 12 shouldn't be watching. A girl gets drunk. There is one character who is bisexual and one who is gay. There is fighting, dating and making out. Crap and pissed are common, also one character breaks another characters back purposely.
Teen, 14 years old Written byAbigail45 August 11, 2012

You must watch the show

I really like the show and think 12 year olds could learn and they should watch the show. I honestly have never cried during movie or show because I always thought it's just acting and it's not real. Also because I don't really relate to the characters very well. I want there to be 3 season now but there are only 2. I heard news that there might be 3 season around 2013. I don't know why I cried during the movie I did and for some reason kept thinking about it and couldn't stop crying. A little embarrassing. Something stands out about the show. I think it's the dancing and the problems. That's why it has such a positive message to not give up your dreams and try harder and who eve stands in your way just motivates you. The obstacles the friendships and relationships all stand out. It's a positive role model because it helps us it's a positive role model because of the positive messages. The violence is not like that bad it's couple of fights that are always solved and disciplined and talked about. The show also is great because of the people that are in it the main characters there wonderful personalities each personality is a personality that we all have. I think i was crying at the end of the show not only because of something that happened but also because of the fact that the show was over.
Kid, 11 years old January 29, 2016

Best aussie show EVER!

I am HOOKED on this show! It is absolutely amazing! If you are a dancer, then this show is for you! There is no violence, drinking/drugs/alcohol, and only teen relationship issues. Only major issue is: SPOILER ALERT! (I warned you) ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Death of a character, so younger kids might not be able to handle the sadness. The characters are positive role models to young viewers. This show portrays the importance of friendship, loyalty, and kindness. Definitely appropriate for tweens and teens!
Kid, 12 years old March 29, 2012

Not sure

Looks like a cool show... I'll have to check it out since I'm a ballet dancer.
Teen, 17 years old Written byGodAnubis12 January 5, 2014

Good Show, mature 12 year olds and up

Dance Academy is a good show for my 12 year old, but only for mature children. There is implied sex, but however it is not shown at all. Children are seen in bras but you can never see the "parts" of the body. Pretty good, and it allows your children to establish how bad things could diminish their career. General drama, fights, little bit of kissing, and thats it. I think that it is a good show, and people believe there is too much sex. No character actually goes through with having sex with another character because they descide that they arent ready.
Teen, 13 years old Written bydancer4life11 July 31, 2013

Great Show for Dancers and Non-Dancers Alike!

I love this show! As a ballet dancer myself, I love how they show accurate depications of the dance world. My teacher actually recommended it! There is some kissing and one episode is all about teaching the main character how to make out, but nothing to graphic. Also, bras and panties are shown, but not for any other reason but accidentally find the wrong changing room. All the characters are REAL and struggle with personal problems, such as finding their place in life, anorexia (for a while), and living up to a family member's legacy. For drinking, a character gets drunk, but doesn't know her drink is alcoholic. I think it is great how they show the boy dancers as masculine and straight (as well as some gay), getting rid of a lot of stereotypes. This show is lovely and I recommend it to all girls (and some mature boys), and especially to DANCERS! I just can't get enough of this show!
Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written bytravelinlite75 April 23, 2016

This is Not PG-13!

I would feel so uncomfortable if I had a teen daughter went to see it with her. This should not be rated PG13! The sexual content and partial nudity is not appropriate for a 13,14 yr old or any teen for that matter. This was marketed towards teens and would be very awkward for teens if they went on a date or with friends to see this. Not sure why that think this is ok for a PG13 rating.
Parent of a 15 and 15 year old Written bySanFranMom87 July 5, 2014

Excellent family drama for dance lovers

I was recommended this show on Netflix and was hooked after two episodes. First of all it is set in stunning Sydney harbor so the scenery is drop dead gorgeous. Second the acting is nuanced and rich by talented young people and those laying their strict teachers and parents. Unlike US TV thus is more realistic in its depiction of teens, their issues and lack of judgment. Many of the characters make bad choices and learning about consequences is a key part of the show's themes. The acting and dancing is splendid. This is a show for anyone who enjoys dancing. There is a bit of girls on underwear but the show is very appropriate re sex and sexual issues. It us no Glee but more believable and better done. I recommend it.
Kid, 12 years old October 16, 2013

Viewers Discretion Is Advised

I have been watching dance academy in the UK and I am currently half way through watching season 2. The show contains things that some kids might feel uncomfortable with. I have seen recently one of the dancers (Tara Webster) gets fully drink in one of the episodes. There are no sexual scenes but there is some things that maybe only children above the age of 11 have the maturity to understand, such as being 'Gay'. Lots of life dramas but positive messages and good role models. Love the show!
Kid, 10 years old April 24, 2013
LEARNING

Brilliant

Dance Academy is a fantastic tv programme, with amazing actors/actresses and amazing dancers this programme shows a lot of hard work in everything. But as a flaw I don't think Dance Academy should be showed on Nickelodeon because of innappropriate behaviour such as: ROMANCE, LANGUAGE (very mild) VIOLENCE (very mild)! This tv programme is fantastic but would definitley rate it PG-13.
Kid, 11 years old April 13, 2013

Great show for tweens and teens!

I love this show and I've watched is since I was 10. There are some gay guys, mean girls, and teen issues like eating disorders and dating, but over all there are very good positive role models in Dance Academy. Teen girls and boy dancers try very hard to maintain a healthy social life while working hard as dancers. Iffy for 9 and 10 year olds, but great for tweens and teens!
Teen, 15 years old Written byChloe-Louise March 7, 2013

Best show ever!!!

Dance academy tells realistic storylines with great role models.This series has touching and dramatic storylines that you can relate to as a teen! It also gives an insight to life in a dance school. It's just amazing and worth watching. :)
Parent of a 8 and 12 year old Written byfastraxsg December 15, 2012

MY REVIEW

Im 12 and I love this show! I have to admit that its a bit unnapropiatte for kids under 12. You probably wont really get it or enjoy it anyway if your younger than 12 so I say you should wait (:
Teen, 14 years old Written byjellia223 February 25, 2012

Great show

I have only started watching it but it is really good
Teen, 14 years old Written byshannon.burrows July 7, 2016

Great Show for Dance Lovers

Dance Academy is a great show for younger and older dance lovers. It is fairly clean, though there are some shots of the girls in underwear and swimsuits these scenes are far and few between. As expected the guys and girls where tight leotards and tights. *SPOILER ALERT* Sammy, a main character, is gay and this subject is a common topic in the show, his sexuality is mainly discussed to encourage acceptance and a friendly atmosphere. One episode is about Christian, also a main character, and Sammy buying a jock strap for Sammy, for the purpose of line free tights. In a later season the dancers go on tour and play spin the bottle, there are guys and girls kissing opposite and same gender. During a party some of the dancers get drunk, however there are major repercussions. Violence is minimal with two main characters fighting with a friend, however you only see them after the fight with some bruises and cuts. The main character injures herself multiple times, one instants being a jealous principle dancer breaking her back by forcing her leg to high. One of the dancers, Kat, takes pictures of her dancer feet which features blisters, blood, and bruises. This show portrays the dancers trying to make big life decisions and, of course, they do make mistakes, however the teachers and families are usually very forgiving of the students and are willing to give second chances. I HIGHLY recommend this show!
Kid, 10 years old June 14, 2016
this movie has good role models
Kid, 11 years old April 10, 2016

BEST SHOW IN THE WORLD

Super addictive and incredibly fun to watch. There is the perfect ballence of drama, humor, and dancing. I like how it shows the real competitive side of dancing. This has made dance academy the best show I have ever watched! I recommend it to anyone who wants to watch a great show!
Teen, 13 years old Written byKate_2003 January 2, 2016
Dance academy is a really good show I really enjoyed it but I don't think that kids under 12 should be watching it because it deals with mature things like characters are gay and then there are caracter kissing and talking about sex and then there is one caracter who have to share a room with a girl and he says that he is not going to go buy her tampons so there are a few mature thing that 12 year old could handle but I don't think guys would enjoy this show as much as girls but I guys could watch it but they have to be mature. This show excludes guys dancing witch I like because some people think only girls do ballet but this show shows you the truth that guys do dance there is one caracter who father don't like dance he think that only girls dance so the guy is left to pay his dance fees by himself and he is gay so he don't want to tell his father because his father will blame the fact that he is gay on ballet.this show deals with real life action that people do but some of the actions are bad and kids should not copy them so if your going to let you kid who is younger than 12 watch this show please watch it with them and explain that this action is bad and please do not copy after this caracter.