Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Dance Academy

Realistic Aussie drama explores teen issues like dating.

Adult Written bykat81304 February 13, 2019

Not PG

Within the first 5 mins we are shown the lead in her bra. Not only did i feel like it was unnecessary and inappropriate for the U rating but following this, a male counterpart enters the scene to make things more awkward and inappropriate. For a U Rating i just thought it was too much.
Parent Written bySara M. July 7, 2018

I LOVED IT

I thought this show was so good to anyone who thinks kids can’t watch this show are probably the people who won’t let there kids watch ‘full house’ or anything on Disney channel

Adult Written byLunaHermione April 2, 2018

Good show for a binge watch

I wouldn't take this show to seriously. It's aimed for preteens and teens. Fun for watching over the summer.

Adult Written byPerfictionn AJ B. April 15, 2017

Really good

I, personally, think that kids are able to watch this. If I was a kid, watching this would make me uncomftable. There are bras and underwear. But if mature enough, it is okay. I would be okay with my kids watching this, because it would give me a chance to tell them what not to do, as some are good and bad; and influence them to be better.

Parent Written byMom K. August 28, 2016

Ages

Think that 10 or 11 would be fine to start watching this show but I guess it depends on response ability I watch this with my daughter per and she is 12.

Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written bytravelinlite75 April 23, 2016

This is Not PG-13!

I would feel so uncomfortable if I had a teen daughter went to see it with her. This should not be rated PG13! The sexual content and partial nudity is not appropriate for a 13,14 yr old or any teen for that matter. This was marketed towards teens and would be very awkward for teens if they went on a date or with friends to see this. Not sure why that think this is ok for a PG13 rating.

Parent of a 15 and 15 year old Written bySanFranMom87 July 5, 2014

Excellent family drama for dance lovers

I was recommended this show on Netflix and was hooked after two episodes. First of all it is set in stunning Sydney harbor so the scenery is drop dead gorgeous. Second the acting is nuanced and rich by talented young people and those laying their strict teachers and parents. Unlike US TV thus is more realistic in its depiction of teens, their issues and lack of judgment. Many of the characters make bad choices and learning about consequences is a key part of the show's themes. The acting and dancing is splendid. This is a show for anyone who enjoys dancing. There is a bit of girls on underwear but the show is very appropriate re sex and sexual issues. It us no Glee but more believable and better done. I recommend it.

Parent of a 8 and 12 year old Written byfastraxsg December 15, 2012

MY REVIEW

Im 12 and I love this show! I have to admit that its a bit unnapropiatte for kids under 12. You probably wont really get it or enjoy it anyway if your younger than 12 so I say you should wait (:

Adult Written byV O May 19, 2012

Wonderful show for preteens and up.

I really enjoy this show. I've watched 1 season and a few episodes of the 2nd. I do think you shouldn't let your kid watch it alone and here's why. Although you have a group of teens trying to become great dancers while finding themselves, big thing is their still learning. So they're going to make mistakes and get hurt just like any other teen. So it's important as a parent to make sure your son/daughter understands the consequences of the actions the characters do and why they shouldn't be mimicked. For example the character Kat, is very goofy, loves to be herself, and is very optimistic. Something a young girl would like to look up to. However due to Kat's home life, she doesn't fully appreciate how lucky she is to be at a privileged school. She treats her place sometimes as a joke and gets irritated when her friends don't want to goof off with her. She feels it's better to rebel and do what makes you feel good, rather than do what needs to be done. That's a great chance to talk to a pre-teen about personal responsibility, entitlement, and the importance of hard work. Also, Kat's mother is VERY neglectful, so it better explains why Kat acts the way she does.