All teen and kid member reviews for Dance Academy

Kid, 11 years old February 29, 2012

Dance? More like DRAMA!!!

I like the messages of this show (try your best, be able to take risks, and be the real you) BUT, it's a little bit too sexual for me. In the beginning, Tara goes to the wrong bathroom, and unknowingly takes off her shirt, showing her bra to a guy she's never met. Than she and Kat jump off a BALCONY in their bikini's into a bay, with no idea about what could be down there! A BAY!!!! A boy has to room with Kat, cause their's not enough boy dormitries! That's not right! Infact, while the boys putting in his contacts, Kat's changing, because she think's that he can't see her, when he can! There are fistfights and cattyness. Tara hits a fellow student in the face with her dance shoe! It's very competitive, and the mean girl, Abigail is always trying to get Tara expelled. This show is not about dance, it's about Drama. Drama that parents teach their children not to create. I am not approving this show.
Kid, 10 years old June 7, 2012

BEST SHOW EVER!

This is a great show! Any boy under 12 shouldn't be watching. A girl gets drunk. There is one character who is bisexual and one who is gay. There is fighting, dating and making out. Crap and pissed are common, also one character breaks another characters back purposely.
Teen, 14 years old Written byAbigail45 August 11, 2012

You must watch the show

I really like the show and think 12 year olds could learn and they should watch the show. I honestly have never cried during movie or show because I always thought it's just acting and it's not real. Also because I don't really relate to the characters very well. I want there to be 3 season now but there are only 2. I heard news that there might be 3 season around 2013. I don't know why I cried during the movie I did and for some reason kept thinking about it and couldn't stop crying. A little embarrassing. Something stands out about the show. I think it's the dancing and the problems. That's why it has such a positive message to not give up your dreams and try harder and who eve stands in your way just motivates you. The obstacles the friendships and relationships all stand out. It's a positive role model because it helps us it's a positive role model because of the positive messages. The violence is not like that bad it's couple of fights that are always solved and disciplined and talked about. The show also is great because of the people that are in it the main characters there wonderful personalities each personality is a personality that we all have. I think i was crying at the end of the show not only because of something that happened but also because of the fact that the show was over.
Kid, 11 years old January 29, 2016

Best aussie show EVER!

I am HOOKED on this show! It is absolutely amazing! If you are a dancer, then this show is for you! There is no violence, drinking/drugs/alcohol, and only teen relationship issues. Only major issue is: SPOILER ALERT! (I warned you) ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Death of a character, so younger kids might not be able to handle the sadness. The characters are positive role models to young viewers. This show portrays the importance of friendship, loyalty, and kindness. Definitely appropriate for tweens and teens!
Teen, 17 years old Written byGodAnubis12 January 5, 2014

Good Show, mature 12 year olds and up

Dance Academy is a good show for my 12 year old, but only for mature children. There is implied sex, but however it is not shown at all. Children are seen in bras but you can never see the "parts" of the body. Pretty good, and it allows your children to establish how bad things could diminish their career. General drama, fights, little bit of kissing, and thats it. I think that it is a good show, and people believe there is too much sex. No character actually goes through with having sex with another character because they descide that they arent ready.
Kid, 12 years old October 16, 2013

Viewers Discretion Is Advised

I have been watching dance academy in the UK and I am currently half way through watching season 2. The show contains things that some kids might feel uncomfortable with. I have seen recently one of the dancers (Tara Webster) gets fully drink in one of the episodes. There are no sexual scenes but there is some things that maybe only children above the age of 11 have the maturity to understand, such as being 'Gay'. Lots of life dramas but positive messages and good role models. Love the show!
Teen, 13 years old Written bydancer4life11 July 31, 2013

Great Show for Dancers and Non-Dancers Alike!

I love this show! As a ballet dancer myself, I love how they show accurate depications of the dance world. My teacher actually recommended it! There is some kissing and one episode is all about teaching the main character how to make out, but nothing to graphic. Also, bras and panties are shown, but not for any other reason but accidentally find the wrong changing room. All the characters are REAL and struggle with personal problems, such as finding their place in life, anorexia (for a while), and living up to a family member's legacy. For drinking, a character gets drunk, but doesn't know her drink is alcoholic. I think it is great how they show the boy dancers as masculine and straight (as well as some gay), getting rid of a lot of stereotypes. This show is lovely and I recommend it to all girls (and some mature boys), and especially to DANCERS! I just can't get enough of this show!
Kid, 11 years old April 13, 2013

Great show for tweens and teens!

I love this show and I've watched is since I was 10. There are some gay guys, mean girls, and teen issues like eating disorders and dating, but over all there are very good positive role models in Dance Academy. Teen girls and boy dancers try very hard to maintain a healthy social life while working hard as dancers. Iffy for 9 and 10 year olds, but great for tweens and teens!
Teen, 15 years old Written byChloe-Louise March 7, 2013

Best show ever!!!

Dance academy tells realistic storylines with great role models.This series has touching and dramatic storylines that you can relate to as a teen! It also gives an insight to life in a dance school. It's just amazing and worth watching. :)
Kid, 12 years old March 29, 2012

Not sure

Looks like a cool show... I'll have to check it out since I'm a ballet dancer.
Kid, 10 years old April 24, 2013
LEARNING

Brilliant

Dance Academy is a fantastic tv programme, with amazing actors/actresses and amazing dancers this programme shows a lot of hard work in everything. But as a flaw I don't think Dance Academy should be showed on Nickelodeon because of innappropriate behaviour such as: ROMANCE, LANGUAGE (very mild) VIOLENCE (very mild)! This tv programme is fantastic but would definitley rate it PG-13.
Teen, 14 years old Written byjellia223 February 25, 2012

Great show

I have only started watching it but it is really good
Teen, 13 years old Written byKate_2003 January 2, 2016
Dance academy is a really good show I really enjoyed it but I don't think that kids under 12 should be watching it because it deals with mature things like characters are gay and then there are caracter kissing and talking about sex and then there is one caracter who have to share a room with a girl and he says that he is not going to go buy her tampons so there are a few mature thing that 12 year old could handle but I don't think guys would enjoy this show as much as girls but I guys could watch it but they have to be mature. This show excludes guys dancing witch I like because some people think only girls do ballet but this show shows you the truth that guys do dance there is one caracter who father don't like dance he think that only girls dance so the guy is left to pay his dance fees by himself and he is gay so he don't want to tell his father because his father will blame the fact that he is gay on ballet.this show deals with real life action that people do but some of the actions are bad and kids should not copy them so if your going to let you kid who is younger than 12 watch this show please watch it with them and explain that this action is bad and please do not copy after this caracter.
Teen, 13 years old Written byHappentothatbigfatma November 24, 2015

Dance Academy

I think that Dance Academy can have somewhat a good influence on kids. They mention "boobs" "breasts" a lot throughout the show. They show the girls in bras and underwear. They never talk about sex but they get ready to have sex a lot. There is not a lot of drinking. There is the word "gay" mentioned a lot. Gay people kiss. It has a positive effect too because it shows what people can do to you. How people betray you, the negative effect of choosing your friends unwisely. There is a sudden death of a commenly seen character. I personally cried and it was sad. This is a good show over all. It is all about pursing your dreams. In this case their dream is dance.
Teen, 13 years old Written byDanceHipHop4Ever April 12, 2015

This is based on when I watched it!

I first say Season 1 of this show when I was 9 or 10 and could understand the show completely and enjoyed it fully. Dance has been a passion of mine for a long time and this does touch on the different styles of dance and also has very relatable characters. They are at an academy that to lead to a career in dance, which is why they are there, because they want to become dancers! The characters are relatable because I feel as if I can see a tiny part of myself in every single one of them, and it shows that in life you have to make mistakes and learn from them. You see the consequences of their actions, and also see that sometimes is worth taking the consequence of something if others think what you did wasn't right but you feel as if it was a critical part of finding who you are or figuring out what you believe in life. It very much shows the ups and downs that comes from being a teen and all the crushes that come along with them as well! It shows that relationships do have fights and awkward moments and there are times when it doesn't go so well as well as the happier stuff! The show also tells you that no matter what people say about not being able to chose your family, you can! Family isn't necessarily blood, family is the people who are there to guide you through every bad moment and every time you want to give up! They are the people that make you remember your dreams and who drive you to be the best versions of yourself. You see in the show that the characters really do come to form a family, and by the end see how much they've grown as people and how much they have realised about themselves along the way. I think it's an amazing show and helps to show a very real life view in a lot of things, and as I said, I do believe when I was 9 or 10 I could enjoy this show fully and if it had been around before I probably still would have been able to, so don't be afraid to let children watch this, and even if they are not like me it could be a great conversation starter on some topics
Teen, 14 years old Written byPointeShoes55 October 28, 2014

REALLY GOOD SERIES

This is pretty good. I saw it on netflix and decided to try it out because it was about dancing and I do ballet. Here are the issues to look out for: Positive messages: No matter what the problem is with the characters, they always seem to deal with it. Violence: Couples fighting, Lying to teachers, Etc... Sexy Stuff: Girls in under clothing ( Kat and Tara jump off a bridge into water in under clothing) Tara accidently dresses in the boys changing room and boys see her. Many romantic scenes, and PARENTS...There is a same-sex character who you can see kissing another boy. If you dont agree with it, Dont have your child watch it alone! Swearing: As for this, A character calls Tara "Training Bra" And many other words, Please be careful with swearing! Additional: This is an amazing series about some of the hardships of ballet and being in a company. I enjoyed it very much. I was so sad when the last season ended! If you are not comfortable with any of the above, Dont watch it!
Teen, 14 years old Written bylittle5directs October 26, 2014

Brilliant and Realistic!

Dance Academy, although for older audiences, provides great understanding of the reality of being a dancer such as not being satisfied with body images, intense training and constant criticism. The show deals with conditions such as bulimia, a character coming out as gay and getting involved in gangs. Along with all this seriousness, there are loveable characters, scenes of humour and some fantastic choreography. Definitely worth a watch!
Teen, 15 years old Written byStaceytheNerd September 28, 2014

You were there for me right way through, Dance Academy

AMAZING!!! My only advice is to watch all three serieses and be done with it! This is Australian children's television at its finest (especially in the last few years) and all three series have had so many fantastic plot lines, emotional, physical and mental challenges for the characters that are extremely contemporary for youth today. There is so much to relate to and life-lessons to be learned. There's school issues, parent-child conflicts, divorce, annoying younger siblings, exchange students, friendships, peer-conflicts, facing failure, death of parents, being in trouble with the law, learning to drive, falling in love, falling in love with a friend the same gender, coming out, representing your sport competitively, death of a friend/classmate, students with mental/emotional problems, physical injury, underage drinking, eating disorders, unrequieted love, grief and becoming an independent adult...... the list goes on and on and while some stuff is heavy - the show is also so damn funny. The characters are perfectly portrayed and it is impeccably made. Take this from a girl who has watched EVERY EPISODE MULTIPLE TIMES.
Kid, 12 years old August 14, 2014

amazing show

this show is a fantastic! i would diffently recomend this there is a little bit of kissing but i love this show its amazing watch it you won't regret it the slightest bit!
Teen, 13 years old Written byDaesha July 18, 2014

Great show!!

I love this show so much! It doesn't cuss at all, has no sex, and teaches great lessons! It's very interesting and keeps your attention. There is a lot of drama, but that just makes it even more interesting. Great show and I highly recommend it.