All member reviews for Dance Academy

Realistic Aussie drama explores teen issues like dating.

Kid, 10 years old June 7, 2012

BEST SHOW EVER!

This is a great show! Any boy under 12 shouldn't be watching. A girl gets drunk. There is one character who is bisexual and one who is gay. There is fighting, dating and making out. Crap and pissed are common, also one character breaks another characters back purposely.
Kid, 11 years old February 29, 2012

Dance? More like DRAMA!!!

I like the messages of this show (try your best, be able to take risks, and be the real you) BUT, it's a little bit too sexual for me. In the beginning, Tara goes to the wrong bathroom, and unknowingly takes off her shirt, showing her bra to a guy she's never met. Than she and Kat jump off a BALCONY in their bikini's into a bay, with no idea about what could be down there! A BAY!!!! A boy has to room with Kat, cause their's not enough boy dormitries! That's not right! Infact, while the boys putting in his contacts, Kat's changing, because she think's that he can't see her, when he can! There are fistfights and cattyness. Tara hits a fellow student in the face with her dance shoe! It's very competitive, and the mean girl, Abigail is always trying to get Tara expelled. This show is not about dance, it's about Drama. Drama that parents teach their children not to create. I am not approving this show.
Parent Written bysumoni May 19, 2012

Wonderful show for preteens and up.

I really enjoy this show. I've watched 1 season and a few episodes of the 2nd. I do think you shouldn't let your kid watch it alone and here's why. Although you have a group of teens trying to become great dancers while finding themselves, big thing is their still learning. So they're going to make mistakes and get hurt just like any other teen. So it's important as a parent to make sure your son/daughter understands the consequences of the actions the characters do and why they shouldn't be mimicked. For example the character Kat, is very goofy, loves to be herself, and is very optimistic. Something a young girl would like to look up to. However due to Kat's home life, she doesn't fully appreciate how lucky she is to be at a privileged school. She treats her place sometimes as a joke and gets irritated when her friends don't want to goof off with her. She feels it's better to rebel and do what makes you feel good, rather than do what needs to be done. That's a great chance to talk to a pre-teen about personal responsibility, entitlement, and the importance of hard work. Also, Kat's mother is VERY neglectful, so it better explains why Kat acts the way she does.
Kid, 12 years old October 16, 2013

Viewers Discretion Is Advised

I have been watching dance academy in the UK and I am currently half way through watching season 2. The show contains things that some kids might feel uncomfortable with. I have seen recently one of the dancers (Tara Webster) gets fully drink in one of the episodes. There are no sexual scenes but there is some things that maybe only children above the age of 11 have the maturity to understand, such as being 'Gay'. Lots of life dramas but positive messages and good role models. Love the show!
Kid, 10 years old April 24, 2013

LEARNING

Brilliant

Dance Academy is a fantastic tv programme, with amazing actors/actresses and amazing dancers this programme shows a lot of hard work in everything. But as a flaw I don't think Dance Academy should be showed on Nickelodeon because of innappropriate behaviour such as: ROMANCE, LANGUAGE (very mild) VIOLENCE (very mild)! This tv programme is fantastic but would definitley rate it PG-13.
Kid, 11 years old April 13, 2013

Great show for tweens and teens!

I love this show and I've watched is since I was 10. There are some gay guys, mean girls, and teen issues like eating disorders and dating, but over all there are very good positive role models in Dance Academy. Teen girls and boy dancers try very hard to maintain a healthy social life while working hard as dancers. Iffy for 9 and 10 year olds, but great for tweens and teens!
Teen, 15 years old Written byChloe-Louise March 7, 2013

Best show ever!!!

Dance academy tells realistic storylines with great role models.This series has touching and dramatic storylines that you can relate to as a teen! It also gives an insight to life in a dance school. It's just amazing and worth watching. :)
Teen, 14 years old Written byAbigail45 August 11, 2012

You must watch the show

I really like the show and think 12 year olds could learn and they should watch the show. I honestly have never cried during movie or show because I always thought it's just acting and it's not real. Also because I don't really relate to the characters very well. I want there to be 3 season now but there are only 2. I heard news that there might be 3 season around 2013. I don't know why I cried during the movie I did and for some reason kept thinking about it and couldn't stop crying. A little embarrassing. Something stands out about the show. I think it's the dancing and the problems. That's why it has such a positive message to not give up your dreams and try harder and who eve stands in your way just motivates you. The obstacles the friendships and relationships all stand out. It's a positive role model because it helps us it's a positive role model because of the positive messages. The violence is not like that bad it's couple of fights that are always solved and disciplined and talked about. The show also is great because of the people that are in it the main characters there wonderful personalities each personality is a personality that we all have. I think i was crying at the end of the show not only because of something that happened but also because of the fact that the show was over.
Kid, 12 years old March 29, 2012

Not sure

Looks like a cool show... I'll have to check it out since I'm a ballet dancer.
Teen, 14 years old Written byjellia223 February 25, 2012

Great show

I have only started watching it but it is really good
Teen, 14 years old Written byPointeShoes55 October 28, 2014

REALLY GOOD SERIES

This is pretty good. I saw it on netflix and decided to try it out because it was about dancing and I do ballet. Here are the issues to look out for: Positive messages: No matter what the problem is with the characters, they always seem to deal with it. Violence: Couples fighting, Lying to teachers, Etc... Sexy Stuff: Girls in under clothing ( Kat and Tara jump off a bridge into water in under clothing) Tara accidently dresses in the boys changing room and boys see her. Many romantic scenes, and PARENTS...There is a same-sex character who you can see kissing another boy. If you dont agree with it, Dont have your child watch it alone! Swearing: As for this, A character calls Tara "Training Bra" And many other words, Please be careful with swearing! Additional: This is an amazing series about some of the hardships of ballet and being in a company. I enjoyed it very much. I was so sad when the last season ended! If you are not comfortable with any of the above, Dont watch it!
Teen, 14 years old Written bylittle5directs October 26, 2014

Brilliant and Realistic!

Dance Academy, although for older audiences, provides great understanding of the reality of being a dancer such as not being satisfied with body images, intense training and constant criticism. The show deals with conditions such as bulimia, a character coming out as gay and getting involved in gangs. Along with all this seriousness, there are loveable characters, scenes of humour and some fantastic choreography. Definitely worth a watch!
Teen, 15 years old Written byStaceytheNerd September 28, 2014

You were there for me right way through, Dance Academy

AMAZING!!! My only advice is to watch all three serieses and be done with it! This is Australian children's television at its finest (especially in the last few years) and all three series have had so many fantastic plot lines, emotional, physical and mental challenges for the characters that are extremely contemporary for youth today. There is so much to relate to and life-lessons to be learned. There's school issues, parent-child conflicts, divorce, annoying younger siblings, exchange students, friendships, peer-conflicts, facing failure, death of parents, being in trouble with the law, learning to drive, falling in love, falling in love with a friend the same gender, coming out, representing your sport competitively, death of a friend/classmate, students with mental/emotional problems, physical injury, underage drinking, eating disorders, unrequieted love, grief and becoming an independent adult...... the list goes on and on and while some stuff is heavy - the show is also so damn funny. The characters are perfectly portrayed and it is impeccably made. Take this from a girl who has watched EVERY EPISODE MULTIPLE TIMES.
Kid, 12 years old August 14, 2014

amazing show

this show is a fantastic! i would diffently recomend this there is a little bit of kissing but i love this show its amazing watch it you won't regret it the slightest bit!
Teen, 13 years old Written byDaesha July 18, 2014

Great show!!

I love this show so much! It doesn't cuss at all, has no sex, and teaches great lessons! It's very interesting and keeps your attention. There is a lot of drama, but that just makes it even more interesting. Great show and I highly recommend it.
Parent of a 15 and 15 year old Written bySanFranMom87 July 5, 2014

Excellent family drama for dance lovers

I was recommended this show on Netflix and was hooked after two episodes. First of all it is set in stunning Sydney harbor so the scenery is drop dead gorgeous. Second the acting is nuanced and rich by talented young people and those laying their strict teachers and parents. Unlike US TV thus is more realistic in its depiction of teens, their issues and lack of judgment. Many of the characters make bad choices and learning about consequences is a key part of the show's themes. The acting and dancing is splendid. This is a show for anyone who enjoys dancing. There is a bit of girls on underwear but the show is very appropriate re sex and sexual issues. It us no Glee but more believable and better done. I recommend it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBlue Dolphin March 21, 2014

Good Show, Some Things not Appropriate for Youngsters

I believe that Dance Academy is a very good show for preteens. It shows about a farm girl named Tara and the show progresses on how she deals with the many situations outside of dance class. Some things such as some kissing, little violence, very little drinking, and teen situations are more accounted for 12-13 years of age.
Teen, 15 years old Written byayyyeeitstaylortho98 March 19, 2014

Like addicting and best ever

This show is great for kids older than twelve it teaches them to follow their dreams and it also teaches them life lessons and what not to do and some common mistakes they could make at school I think you should let them watch it... There is NO SEX NO CURSING AND SOME VIOLENCE AND DRINKING BUT ABSOLUTELY NOOOOOO DRUGS!!!!! ~Ayyyeeitstaylortho98
Kid, 12 years old January 31, 2014

It's great!

I think this show is AMAZING, it's not inappropriate at all. Very funny, very cool. Appropriate for kids, but i recommend it for tweens and teens, because the kids might not enjoy it. It's got good messages about friendship and school.
Teen, 13 years old Written byzyngl January 15, 2014

Best Teen Show Ever!

Dance academy is like no other teen shows and has alot of positive massages and about trying your best. The main character Tara is a good role model in this show and could teach you alot of life lessons and is very influential if you are a dancer. There are some kissing and disscusion about sex, it really depends on how mature you are. Any way, its very exciting and dramatic and the best show i've ever watched.