All member reviews for Dance Moms

Teen, 16 years old Written byBtheDancer. July 13, 2011

Awesome show!!!! Looking forward to more!

The fact that people are saying that Abby Lee is 'tearing down a child’s self-esteem' is absurd. Abby Lee has a point, I am a competitive dancer of 13 years and I would much rather be yelled at by my dance instructor than a complete stranger. It is not like there being forced to stay there. It's their choice! Sure, she is a little harsh, but we have only seen an hour into their 'dance lives' who knows maybe there’s a sweet, nice side to Abby. Let’s face it, her harsh way of teaching, gets them places and there great dancers! On the T.V show as a whole, I find it is for entertainment only, there is no ‘learning’ from it. The bickering between parents and Abby Lee is very amusing too watch. The show is just like Toddlers in Tiaras, without all the girls being bratty and expecting everything to magically appear in front of them. There are some sexual moves and costumes but just about every dance studio has them though. I find the show very entertaining and hope it becomes as big as Toddlers and tiaras without all the negative things that come along with it. Please do not cancel this show just because some overbearing people think that everything in this world ruins there children’s' self-esteem. "Oh no! I just was yelled at because I did something wrong. I’m crushed. I’m quitting dance forever." Pah-leese. Its life. You can’t protect your child from these things forever and when/if you do. They'll be shocked to soon find out...that’s reality.
Teen, 16 years old Written byMysterious_ballerina July 21, 2011

This show makes me vomit!

Ok for one I was a dancer, I danced ballet from when I was 5 years old until i was 13. I loved dance, and first off what these girls are doing I wouldn't call dance in 1,000 years, they dance like showgirls and there parents put up with this evil dance instructor who just hurts the girls feelings. This Abby-Lee puts the girls in a pyramid and it seems like one girl is ALWAYS at the top making all the other girls feel bad. The dance couch is annoying an nothing at all like my couches were, even though they were strict and demanding, this lady is NUTS! I wish someone would shut this show and her dance studio down. I am not pleased TLC not pleased......
Kid, 12 years old July 13, 2011

WOW

Wow!!! These moms are nuts! This show is great. Id give ot ten or older because of the way the dannlce teacher treats her students it wouldnt be innapropriate for kids under 10 just for interest level. In the pilot episode one mom gets into a fight with abby the dance teacher and abby calls the police tthe fighht starts when a student isnt wearing a leoterd. Two pardents drink at a hotel bar to relieve stress before competition but shown briefly overall its a great show i would highly reccomend it i have a new favorite show!
Teen, 13 years old Written byqueenofrandom4ever August 13, 2011

Very true to life, and entertaining, but the messages are off at times.

This show is very funny at times but this is not an exaggeration of the dance competition world. I used to be on a competition team and believe me, it is just as cutthroat between the moms and dancers in real life, if not more, than on this show. It is a very entertaining show though, but parents need to know that it is truly a reality show.
Teen, 14 years old Written bydancegirl3697 August 29, 2011

Entertaining

I really like this show. Im a dancer myself so I understand all the stress they got through. Some people say the teacher and moms are going overboard. They do push the girls a little too much, but thats how they reach success. And through all the work and stress, 9 year old girls are really really talented.
Kid, 11 years old July 20, 2011

Love the show!

This show is great I think the only thing that is bad is the bad language and the drinking.
Kid, 10 years old August 13, 2011

great show

Positive messages include kids learning to dance, even tho sometimes they dont want too and they get pulled thorugh stressful times, they keep going, which fits into postive messages and good role models. Violence bc kids dont want to dance and there teacher yells at them, i feel bad for those cute girls! <3! Sexy Stuff: Girls do very sexy stuff in episode 2, where they are wearing bikinis, and do very sexy moves. Languge: Moms yell at dance coach abby " *hit dam* and the like are normally bleeped. There is a very strong message of Consermiruism here, for abby lee dance co in pittsburg pa. in one episode moms drink wine and feel better with there stress
Kid, 11 years old September 22, 2011

Not bad, not bad at all.

Dance Moms is an awesome show! The only thing to worry about is language and that's bleeped out!
Teen, 13 years old Written byWishTOBe August 21, 2011

I LOVE THIS SHOW!!!!((((:::

i think this show is really good. However i am a reality junkie. though the moms arent good role models, the kids are they are very deticated to what they do, there not brats to the mothers and they are team players. HOWEVER, the mothers are not, they scream, use horrid language, talk about one another, and drink. Abby Lee Miller the dance coach is hard to explain, shes rude and what not, but without her the kids would be brats to there moms AND RUDE. they also of course would be bad dancers. if your child does dance it wouldnt hurt for them to watch this...PLEASE DONT WRITE THIS SHOW OFF FROM YOU WATCHING IT BECAUSE OF THE PICTURES I CLICKED ON. (Also at times this show can have some sexy moves but its not horrible, maybe a sexy move every 3 episodes...BUT HEY thats dancing for ya:)
Kid, 11 years old August 25, 2011

Appropriate! :-)

Dance Moms is a great show. Everybody thinks Abby Lee is way to harsh. Do you know what? I agree, but look where it has gotten these kids. They either win first place or second place in competitions, they are even on a T.V show on a popular channel!! This discipline is making these kids go somewhere!! As someone said before, it's their choice if they want to leave or stay!
Kid, 11 years old October 12, 2011

Think "Toddlers and Tiaras" on steroids!

More trashy than terrific. Low points Moms pressure kids to dance competitively, even though some of them aren't into it, spend too much of money on their daughters, and drink to calm themselves down. Two moms sneak off to a bar from a daughter's dance recital. Language is bad. The instructor yells at the kids, crossing the line of constructive criticism, and pits them against each other. High Points: The girls work very hard, and they are dedicated. If you choose to let your child watch this, talk about competitive pressure and levels of competition. You can also talk about the moms, and the the positives and negatives of extreme competition.
Kid, 11 years old July 31, 2011

Great Show!

The bad language is beeped out. The moms do drink sometimes.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBONES&BOOTH4EVER August 6, 2011

Fun to watch

its pretty funny at times and rly interesting. great show but probably will get cancelled soon
Teen, 13 years old Written byDMfanCassy August 30, 2011

I LOVE THIS SHOW!!!!! but......

I think this is a really great show! It has actully inspiraed me to open a dance studio when I grow up! but Abby is verrryyy strong willed and about 40% of the time rude or mean.... Some of the clothing she has the girls wear for the dances could be covered alittle bit more, but nothing that I would rant over. Sometimes the Moms will use bad language, but only when they are realllly angry with someone. Sometimes people on the show (Cathy) will try sooo hard to show others that she's the "real deal" and she can act like a "goodie two shoes" and I believe that Cathy needs to take her daughter (Vivian) out of dance, she doesn't like it very much, and both of them would probably be happier if she did something else! anyway.... me and two of my friends ABSOLUTLY love the show! the Drama.... the Costums, the Makeup, the Lights!!!! it's a good show!!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byHeq073198 February 1, 2012

CALM DOWN PEOPLE, IT'S ALL SCRIPTED!!!!!!

Everyone here just needs to think for a minute. What kind of people would stay at a dance studio if there was that much drama? Nobody. It's not like that in real life. I know for a fact it's scripted because at a friend's dance studio they were holding auditions. The girls are actually dancers and those are their mothers, but the fights are fake. And you need to no the difference between coach and friend. My aunt trains me when I ride horses, and I have to be mature and know the difference between the two. You want to be good? Then expect and welcome criticism. There's always room for improvement. I highly doubt Abby would be like that if she wasn't their coach. She knows what she's doing. And they're winning just about everything, aren't they?
Teen, 14 years old Written byIvoryNeptune December 21, 2012

Not for young kids

On one hand it shows younger girls striving to be the best they can be. On the other hand, one episode featured the girls dressed as Vegas Show Girls. There is a quite a bit of yelling & swearing on the show. The moms also have been shown drinking.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycandygal9 August 2, 2012

It's An Awesome Dancing Show, But...

Me, my sister, and my mom enjoy watching this show and we always look forward to watching the new episode on Tuesday. It's pretty good for kids and teens, but before you let your child watch this, please take caution about the show. Plot: The show is about a dance teacher Abby Lee Miller who wants the girls to win the competition. The dances are great and there's always a new dance in every episode. The choreography is excellent and the costumes are spectacular. Characters: The dance instructor is a really good choreographer and creates good costumes and dance routines, but she needs to be a little gentle on the dancers instead of yelling at them. I like all of the dancers, but I don't like how Abby gives Maddie special treatment and not the others. It's not fair. Abby really needs to treat all the students equal and at least be a little gentle on them. Like in one episode, Abby cries for Maddie because she forgot her solo and then there's one where she's mad at Paige for forgetting her solo. The moms can get in fights with each other and the dance instructor, but we find the fights somewhat funny. The dancers are just fine and are really good dancers. Violence: No violence, but be aware that there's some arguments (sometimes loud and intense ones) between one of the moms and Abby. We think that some of the fights are hilarious yet ridiculous, but it might be too intense for some kids. Sexy Stuff: Some of the outfits are a little bit extreme (I was a little in shock on the episode when they dressed like showgirls for a dance number) but it's not that bad. Language: When the moms are talking or when there's an argument arousing, you will find some bad words. Some are bleeped, some are not. This kind of language might not be appropriate for some kids. Overall Rating: It's an amazing show!
Kid, 10 years old February 21, 2012

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some swearing, Lots of Drinking ( Yes I am talking about Kelly who will stick up the middle finger but it is blurred. F*** S*** D*** BA***** are all bleeped but the @ word and the b word get by all the time. Yelling and Fighting with annoying rival studio Candy Apples. Kids can watch it but be warned about s*x (I am not allowed to say that word) Swearing is mild but bad behavior by the moms. I say not really good for 8 year olds.
Teen, 13 years old Written bydancer4life11 August 1, 2013

Dance Moms - Here for the Dance, Not the Drama!

I love this show for one - the girls. I fast forward though the drama to see the girls dance. Beijg a competitive dancer myself, I love how they show how much hard work it takes to dance. These girls are all amaing, talented dancers that have helped me personally improve. As for the drama, much of it is edited. Not STAGED, not SCRIPTED, edited. I met the girls, and their moms, so this is all verified information from them. They film 40 hours a week and cut it into 1 hour. That means they can cut a part of a fight from one situation and put it into another. Also, they cut out Abby being nice and kind to the girls, congratulating them and such. The girls verified this. If you can't get through the drama, which does unloved quite a few "bleeped-out" swear words and your a dancer. you will get hooked!
Kid, 12 years old June 24, 2013

Best show ever

I love this show so much. Though Abby Lee is a tough coach, she has made those girl into phenomenal dancers. I watch this show a lot