All member reviews for Dance Moms

Arguing and drama in kids' competitive dance world.

Teen, 14 years old Written byHilbilr June 18, 2013

I give Dance Moms a thumbs up!

This is a great tv show show for mature tweens from age 11 to maybe 13 or 14. I love this show so much!! Even though some episodes are more strong in language and drinking, it doesn't give kids of these ages a wrong message and there is no violence and in some cases they are sending a good message through some of there dances which is wonderful and I enjoy watching that very much.
Kid, 12 years old June 17, 2013

Awesome show!

I love Dance Moms! It is entertaining and often funny, but sometimes gets a little over the top. Sometimes, it really seems like things are completely set-up. The moms sometimes get unrealistically out of control, or something happens at a competition that doesn't seem possible. I often feel bad for the girls on the show, too, since they're my age. Overall, though, I love Dance Moms, and I would recommend it!
Kid, 11 years old March 5, 2013

Good to the Bad

Dance moms is a really goo d sho wi think it should be for evryone if they just cut out some of the cursing it will be fine i like all of the dancers in the episodes ecept for sophia i fill that she took something away from the other girls but then again they did walk out on abby
Kid, 10 years old January 19, 2013

Ok..

The dance moms are insane but I love this show. Chloe is my favorite. If you like dancing or toddlers and tiaras than watch this show. Be careful though, Kelly puts up the finger and says the f word. The other moms swear alot, too.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySweetmeagan23 January 4, 2013

My fave show; does have some flaws

This show has good rolemodels and bad rolemodels. The good rolemodels are the kids, who have a strong drive. The bad mothers are the bad rolemodels, who are always drinking and arguing in the parents viewing room. The dance teacher, Abby Lee Miller, often makes the girls wear skimpy costumes, and uses words like sexy and burlesque. There is a lot of foul language in the fights between everyone, but they are usually bleeped out. The positive message in this show is to practice and you will get better at stuff, as you can see the girls are constantly getting better at dancing. This is my all time favorite show and I started watching it when I was 9, probably not the best idea, but it is a really good show and thats why I reccommend it to people that don't have a favorite show.
Teen, 13 years old Written byDramaGal9090 January 1, 2013

Fascinating show, but be careful!

Dance Moms is a really interesting show following the lives of young dancers and their mothers. Whether or not this show is realistic, it's very fun to watch. The dancing is great and some might even say the drama is what makes it exciting, but its got some iffy stuff, like the mom's language. Most kids will be fine with it, but you might want to see it for yourself before letting your kids watch it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byIvoryNeptune December 21, 2012

Not for young kids

On one hand it shows younger girls striving to be the best they can be. On the other hand, one episode featured the girls dressed as Vegas Show Girls. There is a quite a bit of yelling & swearing on the show. The moms also have been shown drinking.
Kid, 12 years old December 20, 2012

A LOT of arguing...

This show does feature a lot of arguing (can get a bit too dramatic..), but the dancer's talent make up for it. All the girls in Dance Moms are all good role models, while the moms aren't really. I enjoy the show, but make sure you will be fine with your child watching it!
Kid, 12 years old December 15, 2012

Dance Moms: Brave enough to cross the line of controversy

Sure, Abby Lee Miller is among Common Sense's top worst TV role models of the year, but that doesn't mean her ship's going down too. Dance Moms is actually one of Lifetime's best and most notorious series, highlighting both the upsides and downsides of a handful of girls' dancing careers. Of course, this is almost always accentuated by the dance moms' catty and feisty arguments, and plenty of tears, but you know you'll always be coming back for more. No matter how sexually or violently disturbing the dances are, nor how awkward it feels to visit the moms at a club or bar, Dance Moms will still be a pristine picture in Lifetime's book.
Parent of a 5, 6, 7, and 11 year old Written byAnEpicGuy December 4, 2012

Teens and up

The show involves a sadistic dance teacher named Abby and puts her students through unfair competition. Dance moves have sexy in mind, adults swear, and the dance company gets money AND notoriety. Good for teens and up.
Teen, 15 years old Written byjm97 October 14, 2012

NOT worth your precious time.

The only reason I watched this show in the first place was because I am a competitive dancer myself. I thought it might be interesting to see how another studio operates. What I saw horrified me. And I can honestly say that it is completely unrealistic. In every studio I have been, the mothers don't just hang around at the studio for hours on end. They go to WORK. Or they tend to their other children. For reasons I can't explain I stuck with this series for two seasons. At the end of the second season, I came to my senses and stopped watching. This series is complete garbage, and NOT worth your time. If you want to watch quality television, watch Modern Family of Pretty Little Liars.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMaruko-chan-15 October 3, 2012

Horrible!

I've the show a few times and I have say, How stupid! What kind of Mom forces her kids to dress and dance in something so disgusting?! Honestly, don't these freaks realize kids have their own dreams and that they should do what they want to do?! Why do stupid people get all the attention?!
Teen, 13 years old Written bycandygal9 August 2, 2012

It's An Awesome Dancing Show, But...

Me, my sister, and my mom enjoy watching this show and we always look forward to watching the new episode on Tuesday. It's pretty good for kids and teens, but before you let your child watch this, please take caution about the show. Plot: The show is about a dance teacher Abby Lee Miller who wants the girls to win the competition. The dances are great and there's always a new dance in every episode. The choreography is excellent and the costumes are spectacular. Characters: The dance instructor is a really good choreographer and creates good costumes and dance routines, but she needs to be a little gentle on the dancers instead of yelling at them. I like all of the dancers, but I don't like how Abby gives Maddie special treatment and not the others. It's not fair. Abby really needs to treat all the students equal and at least be a little gentle on them. Like in one episode, Abby cries for Maddie because she forgot her solo and then there's one where she's mad at Paige for forgetting her solo. The moms can get in fights with each other and the dance instructor, but we find the fights somewhat funny. The dancers are just fine and are really good dancers. Violence: No violence, but be aware that there's some arguments (sometimes loud and intense ones) between one of the moms and Abby. We think that some of the fights are hilarious yet ridiculous, but it might be too intense for some kids. Sexy Stuff: Some of the outfits are a little bit extreme (I was a little in shock on the episode when they dressed like showgirls for a dance number) but it's not that bad. Language: When the moms are talking or when there's an argument arousing, you will find some bad words. Some are bleeped, some are not. This kind of language might not be appropriate for some kids. Overall Rating: It's an amazing show!
Kid, 12 years old July 13, 2012

Not at all like Toddlers and Tiaras

I started watching season 2 of this show after watching a commercial. As a person who recently started dance again, I especially wanted to see the dances the girls performed at the competitions. Although appalled, I wasn't shocked at the way the coach Abby Lee Miller acted. In dance there are very strict coaches (although there is a difference between strict and downright mean). Then again reality tv likes to show the negative aspect instead of the positive most of the time. What if Abby is a nice person but the producers of the show never show when she hugs the kids only the times when she yells at them. When we see Abby yell at the kids it could be the millionth time she told them to point their feet. I think parents should be aware about a few of the dances from the past. In these dances, the girls wore very inappropriate clothing and did inappropriate moves. They will never air these episodes again or any other dance similar to these in the future. Also most of the moms use foul language but it is censored. Many compare "Dance Moms" to the other reality show "Toddlers and Tiaras" but there are many differences that set these two shows apart. 1. On "Dance Moms" the girls want to dance. They love to dance. Their moms are not living through them where on "Toddlers and Tiaras" most of the girls don't want to do pageants. 2. In dance competitions you are judge on your talent not the way you look like on"Toddlers and Tiaras". Yes, they do sometimes have a talent portion of the pageant but pageants are more about what you look like. The only reason I think people make these assumptions is because they have never seen the show or have only seen one or two episodes. 3. The girls on "Dance Moms" never put on anything over the top for competitions. Only makeup and their costumes. But the girls on "Toddlers and Tiaras" sometimes where false teeth, get spray tanned, and other things.
Teen, 13 years old Written byandasif July 3, 2012

A funny show of sort and stuff

I really like this show. Its really fun. Ya i guess that Abby person is really mean but it makes a really funny show. But honestly, i wouldnt want any of these moms as my moms. And all the kids look anerixic (to skinny.) I know all the kids are jumping around all the time but still. Overall i really like the show.
Kid, 11 years old April 13, 2012

Nice Show!

It's a good show for middle school age and up. I personally watch it myself and sometimes with my cousin my mom thinks it's kind of cheesy so it's not really one of our ''family shows'' but it might be for your family. Either way it's a good show and reality t.v. isn't really in the order of 'reality' anymore, if that makes any since... Check it out on lifetime or online.
Kid, 12 years old March 16, 2012

It's not all real.

Being a competitive dancer from the Pittsburgh area, most of this stuff on the show is STAGED. Come on, it's a reality show! Abby does not actually have a pryamid, ( look it up) and she really ins't that mean to mothers and the dancers. Its all fake!
Kid, 11 years old March 8, 2012

Hilarious!

This is probably one of the funniest shows I've seen to date, with just enough drama to make it interesting. I personally LOVE reality TV, and this is a great example. I find the mothers' obsessions very funny, despite what critics of this show may say. OF COUSE Abby (the dance instructor) is mean. Do you really think that they're going to film the sweetest, most encouraging dance teacher ever. No! This is an awesome show if you find humor in crazy mothers arguing. Which I, personally, do.
Teen, 14 years old Written byGopherit March 4, 2012

I Enjoy It

This show has gotten way too much hate. Yes, there's a few drinks here and there, and I'll admit the swears could be censored a little more. However, it's reality TV. If you're a parent who drinks alcohol or occasionally slips some curses, your child is basically getting the same exposure while watching this TV show. (along with many others) Discussing with your child what reality TV really is can help ensure your child isn't getting the wrong idea from Dance Moms. Remember, most of this show is staged somewhat. On the other hand, it's very entertaining to watch the girls perform. They are all extremely talented & I enjoy watching them grow as dancers. Many people believe Abby Lee is too harsh, but she's not too bad. In all sports, (in this case a competitive art form, we'll call it) you have a coach. In order to be successful, that coach can't baby you and say, "oh you're trying your best! The judges won't care if your toes aren't pointed." That doesn't create stars. You need to be tough.
Teen, 14 years old Written bypandasrule208 February 22, 2012

Love Dance Moms!

This is a really good show! I love this show! I am a dancer and i love this is show! I feel like it has a good message because all of the girls that work for Abby love to dance and that is what they want to do! They moms are crazy but they bleep out some of the words that they say! Some people say that Abby is crazy and mean but she really isn't. She trains stars and she wants them to be who they really are and use their skills.