All member reviews for Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood

Excellent lessons from Mister Rogers' next generation.

Educator and Parent Written by8148152 October 25, 2013

It seems like a good show, but some of the episodes have had a negative impact on my child.

I really liked this show at first. It seemed to help my speech-delayed four-year-old open up and talk about her feelings. However, she also picked up some things I don't like from this show. In the "I'm Mad" episode, the characters say "I'm mad" and learn how to calm down. The calm down technique does not help my child and we use other methods. Also, my daughter walked around shouting "I'm mad!" both when she seemed mad and when she seemed happy. I really have contentions with the "Flush, Wash, and Be on Your Way" episode. My daughther was perfectly potty trained until she saw this episode. Now she doesn't want to wipe. We had to change the words to "Wipe, Flush, Wash, and Be on Your Way." Little boy tigers may not wipe, but little girl tigers do! In the "Use Your Words" episode, Daniel throws a fit when he's mad and is encouraged to use his words. The problem? After Daniel uses his words, he gets his way even though he threw a small fit. I watched the "Use Your Words" episode with my child and every time he threw a fit, we talked about what happens in our house when you throw fits (you have to go to a special spot until you calm down and DO NOT get what you want.) It's not necessarily a bad show, but they show these three episodes so often that we've had to stop watching it for a while.
Teen, 13 years old Written byWaffleberry January 3, 2014

Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood Is NOT Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood

I watched Mr. Roger's Neighborhood when I was young, and I loved it. It was one of the few kids shows that wasn't animated, and it taught important stuff that young-me had always wondered about. It was quality kid's television programming that I can still go back to, watch, and enjoy. But Daniel Tiger is not anything like the show you may remember from your childhood, if you grew up with Mr. Rogers. It is, more than anything else, an insult to Rogers and his show. The characters are annoying and have absolutely no depth, as well as a serious personality deficiency. There is no real conflict, unless a mild debate over where to hold a picnic counts. And it doesn't. The flimsy morals are shoved in the viewer's face repeatedly, half the time through the most annoying and repetitive songs on the face of the planet. The people behind this show clearly know their target audience is very young children, and they're aiming directly for them with absolutely no consideration for the parents who may be forced to sit through an episode with their toddler. Please, just pass on this horrible Rogers' knockoff, and instead sit your kid down in front of the original Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood, which you could probably find with a quick Google search. It will provide them with infinitely better TV than Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood ever could.
Parent of a 3 year old Written bykristinemay November 7, 2012

Best PBS show of 2012!

This is a show my 3 1/2 year old son looks forward to everyday. The animation in comparable to Super Why! but geared towards a slightly younger age group. It has helped my son in dealing with certain emotions that he doesn't see often, and has helped him in the area of potty training. There was an episode explaining the importance of stopping what you're doing to use the potty. Since then and while we are at home, he has been voluntarily using the bathroom without being asked and rarely an accident!
Parent Written byschenectady1869 September 24, 2012

DEFINITELY Something Good

From the day that the Birthday Episode arrived on the PBS Kids mobile app, I was hooked... and then I shared it with my almost 2 year old daughter. It's beautiful, nostalgic, familiar and engaging. She asks daily to watch "Daniel Tiger" and we save it for special occasions as we are trying to limit her screen time for as long as possible. We watched the Birthday episode at least 10 times before the new episodes arrived the first week of September. Grown Ups Come Back, "Something Good", and "I will too" are phrases she uses freely. It's wholesome but not muted, musical but non inane, and most importantly engaging and relatable without straying far from reality. As the oldest of 4 children, I watched Mr. Roger's Neighborhood and then the re-runs for over a decade. It never got old and really is a hallmark of social & emotional developmental programming for a few generations. I am thrilled to share Daniel with my daughter and despite the recent adoption of the show to my daughter's world, it's already the focus of tiny relatable interactions. Thank you to all the creative minds and supportive funding for making this a reality! Now get your product development team cooking on merchandise and birthday party activities! (If you need help, holler at this marketing mama.)
Kid, 10 years old September 4, 2012

WHEN SOMETHING SEEMS BAD, TURN IT AROUND, AND FIND SOMETHING GOOD!

That song is ingenious. It was stuck in my head for hours yesterday... and I'm 10! That's just one of the songs with positive messages. Daniel visits the doctor (more like the vet?) for a checkup and he gets scared. Kids will relate to that. Everyone in the neighborhood is nice and forgiving when something goes wrong. Not as good as the original Mr. Rogers but still recommended for kids young and old! -Samantha (chocolatecake123) PS: sorry for any typos, I am on a tablet.
Adult Written bySamanthamaster1 November 20, 2014

This is just as great as Mister Rogers Neighborhood.

This show is a great spin-off to mister rogers neighborhood, because, like mister rogers, it has great role models, fun songs, educational, and, teaches kids how to deal with emotions such as joy, anger, disappointment, in an age appropriate way. It's not just for preschoolers. I especially love the trolley song "won't you ride along with me".
Teen, 13 years old Written byDarky'sReviews June 18, 2014

Somewhat amusing for the tots, COMPLETE TORTURE for everyone else- YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

I remember around a year ago when my youngest sister would watch the local preschool channel 24/7 even though she was already 7. Mum, my 9 year old sister and I would often watch with her since most of us don't really know what to do with our lives. However, Mum doesn't let her watch some of the shows, since she thinks that it's either too childish for our age group (e.g Play School) or she just can't stand watching it herself (e.g Ha Ha Hooties) and when we all saw the pilot episode for this show (the one they play all of the time, Daniel's Birthday) Everyone including the 7 year old agreed that this show is one of the most obnoxious preschool shows since Dora the Explorer. I was absolutely horrified when I saw the 5 star rating for this show, because I don't see how anyone would like leave alone tolerate this trainwreck. The characters have the dimensions of a cardboard cutout and are too obnoxious to have any simpify for. The animation is painful to look at and the writing + script could have been written by an elementary schooler. I understand that this is supposed to be geared towards infants and preschoolers and not for preteens and teens to take it seriously but I just can't help it and say 'wow I feel really sorry for this generation, growing up with horrible shows like this one' I get it that Mr Rogers made up his show because of the fact that he wanted television to be more than mindless antics and actually deliver some intelligent messages but most of the shows that actually try to follow in his footsteps just turn out to be just like adverts, where they shove the message right down your throat and make it seem pointless and not worthwhile. Parents, I recommend that you try to find some programs that your child can grow up and look back from without cringing. For starters, I would try something like Arthur or Animiniacs (Something that's both entertaining, memorable and educational.) ON: 0-3 IFFY: 4-5 OFF: 6+
Parent Written byAmy11 February 18, 2013

A favorite in our house

I love everything about this show. I don't want my son watching much TV and the TV he does watch should be of a good quality with educational value and appropriate messaging. This one delivers.
Teen, 13 years old Written byDarksouls444 September 11, 2014

another! one of the better shows on pbs

Same as dinosaur but teaches kids social skills and affection and emotions
Educator and Parent Written byadriana.a.m.g October 27, 2013

Great show, not just for kids, but for Parents and Teachers, too!!!

I am a HUGE advocate for Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood, not just as a mother of a 4 year old (we started watching this show when she was 3), but also as an early childhood educator. In my work, I lead trainings for preschool directors and teachers on how to promote social-emotional development for preschool children. I encourage them to take a look at the show to get ideas on songs they could use in the classroom to encourage positive behaviors, and how easy it is to introduce these concepts. The adults in the cartoon use great verbiage to communicate with children, and parents and teachers can LEARN from this ourselves!!! This show is VERY developmentally appropriate, and easy for parents to watch WITH their kids. This show really comes to life for my daughter when I watch it with her. We have purchased each season, and I familiarize myself with the episodes and topics, and I use some topics related to what my daughter may be struggling with, like sharing, or waiting, or turn-taking. My daughter has memorized all the songs (on her own), and she uses them daily! I was blown away when my daughter shared her toy with her 1 year old sister, singing the words "You can take a turn, and then I'll get it back." This show creates amazing learning opportunities. I highly recommend it!
Parent of a 2 year old Written byVickielynned September 18, 2012

Love the show (Daniel Tiger)

I love Daniel Tiger show I have my 2 yr granddaughter and she loves the show, they had apples being a different color and she picked out the right color, I loved Mr. Rogers show myself, I had hoped someone would bring him back some how, thank you, thank you, she even trys to sing with Daniel. just a grandmother saying thank you. Vickie
Parent of an infant and 2 year old Written byalicow79 August 29, 2013

Has My 2 Year Old Talking About His Feelings

A friend recommended this show to me, and it is one of my favorites for my son to watch. At 2 years old, my son is dealing with some big emotions, and Daniel Tiger is great at showing them in a safe, accessible way. Two of our favorites are the "angry" episode (when Daniel gets angry and his mom gets angry ) and the scared episode (scared of shadows). This show has given us a medium with which to discuss some of these feelings, and I love the positive influence it's has on my son. The best TV shows are the ones that you can and want to talk about afterwards, and this one is great for that.
Adult Written byGabriel Mohler July 15, 2015

Mr. Rogers is rolling over in his grave

Cute tiger, but incredibly poor animation and stupid script. Morally, it's okay, but there is so much better out there.
Kid, 12 years old January 9, 2015

I Love Daniel Tiger!

This is a show that I can listen to at 9:15 in the morning while I'm doing my homeschool work. My 4 year old brother started watching this and he instantly started behaving better in front of the family and in public (that's a relief, too!). Though you'll have to get used to endless songs, this will make your kid nicer at home and in public. This should be every kid's first TV show.
Parent of a 2 and 2 year old Written byjbar2010 January 29, 2013

Engaging and valuable

My toddlers love this show, and so do I! It teaches emotional smarts in such a charming way—it's not heavy-handed like some shows that try too hard. I really can't say enough about it. I'm super pleased that the girls like it too.
Teen, 14 years old Written byReece Abbott June 26, 2015

Kids Show isn't very good, repeats itself

Not gonna lie, this show has some good messages and role models, but it's pretty annoying. The characters and narrator repeat themselves OVER and OVER with the message that they're trying to get through, which probably works, but it's very consistent. Overall it's definitely a show starting for kids at two, but sometimes the way it tries to tell how to control your anger looks a little strange. Give it a try.
Parent Written byhannahs2 May 17, 2015

And the winner is....

Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood!
Teen, 14 years old Written byCallie00 April 9, 2015

An Excellent TV Show For Toddlers and Preschoolers!!!

Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood is my 2 year old brother's favorite TV show. It's a spin-off TV show of Mister Roger's Neighborhood, which my mom used to watch as a little kid. It's so refreshing to find a TV show that it is NOT annoying and eye-roll-worthy, and something that parents (and older siblings like me) can enjoy. I think it's an adorable TV show. It has great messages and role models, such as Daniel Tiger learning how to use the potty, being prepared for school, and learning how to cope with his emotions. In fact, my 2 year old brother learned how to confess his feelings and cope with them WITHOUT throwing temper tantrums. He specifically said, "I frustrated 'cause I can't find toy!" That's all because of Daniel Tiger!!! I highly recommend this TV show to toddlers and preschoolers. Even my 6 year old sister likes watching it!!!
Teen, 17 years old Written bylovaajesus March 24, 2015

The only good modern-day PBS show

I sometimes still tune into PBS when I'm bored, and I'm 17! This is a cute show, I'll say. Not high art, but Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood is a winner for a PBS series.
Adult Written byamandakhirsch March 6, 2015

Excellent for teaching social and emotional skills

Daniel Tiger is a gentle show that teaches critical social and emotional skills. Every episode has a song that gets repeated several times that focuses on a key lesson/strategy -- for example, "Use Your Words"... Daniel is mad that mom put his toys away when he was still using them, so he gets mad and says grr... and she coaches him to use his words to tell her what's wrong, so she can help him. Other lessons range from "In some ways we are different, but in so many ways, we are the same" (in the episode where we meet one of the character's cousins, who wears crutches) and "It's ok to feel sad sometimes - little by little, you'll feel better again" (which I think is an essential lesson -- rather than "don't cry"). My daughter started watching when she was 2 -- now she's almost 3 and she still LOVES it, and sings the songs all the time. What's more, the show has given us a vocabulary/common reference point as a family...we use the lessons and songs all the time. I cannot recommend this highly enough.