All member reviews for Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood

Excellent lessons from Mister Rogers' next generation.

Teen, 13 years old Written byWaffleberry January 3, 2014

Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood Is NOT Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood

I watched Mr. Roger's Neighborhood when I was young, and I loved it. It was one of the few kids shows that wasn't animated, and it taught important stuff that young-me had always wondered about. It was quality kid's television programming that I can still go back to, watch, and enjoy. But Daniel Tiger is not anything like the show you may remember from your childhood, if you grew up with Mr. Rogers. It is, more than anything else, an insult to Rogers and his show. The characters are annoying and have absolutely no depth, as well as a serious personality deficiency. There is no real conflict, unless a mild debate over where to hold a picnic counts. And it doesn't. The flimsy morals are shoved in the viewer's face repeatedly, half the time through the most annoying and repetitive songs on the face of the planet. The people behind this show clearly know their target audience is very young children, and they're aiming directly for them with absolutely no consideration for the parents who may be forced to sit through an episode with their toddler. Please, just pass on this horrible Rogers' knockoff, and instead sit your kid down in front of the original Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood, which you could probably find with a quick Google search. It will provide them with infinitely better TV than Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood ever could.
Parent of a 3 year old Written bykristinemay November 7, 2012

Best PBS show of 2012!

This is a show my 3 1/2 year old son looks forward to everyday. The animation in comparable to Super Why! but geared towards a slightly younger age group. It has helped my son in dealing with certain emotions that he doesn't see often, and has helped him in the area of potty training. There was an episode explaining the importance of stopping what you're doing to use the potty. Since then and while we are at home, he has been voluntarily using the bathroom without being asked and rarely an accident!
Parent Written byschenectady1869 September 24, 2012

DEFINITELY Something Good

From the day that the Birthday Episode arrived on the PBS Kids mobile app, I was hooked... and then I shared it with my almost 2 year old daughter. It's beautiful, nostalgic, familiar and engaging. She asks daily to watch "Daniel Tiger" and we save it for special occasions as we are trying to limit her screen time for as long as possible. We watched the Birthday episode at least 10 times before the new episodes arrived the first week of September. Grown Ups Come Back, "Something Good", and "I will too" are phrases she uses freely. It's wholesome but not muted, musical but non inane, and most importantly engaging and relatable without straying far from reality. As the oldest of 4 children, I watched Mr. Roger's Neighborhood and then the re-runs for over a decade. It never got old and really is a hallmark of social & emotional developmental programming for a few generations. I am thrilled to share Daniel with my daughter and despite the recent adoption of the show to my daughter's world, it's already the focus of tiny relatable interactions. Thank you to all the creative minds and supportive funding for making this a reality! Now get your product development team cooking on merchandise and birthday party activities! (If you need help, holler at this marketing mama.)
Parent of a 5 year old Written byMMLRONARD1 December 28, 2015

Teaching Style Dissapointed

I have my kid watch this show often. I was watching an episode where the theme was if your upset stomp your feet three times. I could not believe this, this is teaching my child to have a temper tantrum! I don't think I'll have my child watch this show anymore.
Teen, 13 years old Written byDarky'sReviews June 18, 2014

Somewhat amusing for the tots, COMPLETE TORTURE for everyone else- YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

I remember around a year ago when my youngest sister would watch the local preschool channel 24/7 even though she was already 7. Mum, my 9 year old sister and I would often watch with her since most of us don't really know what to do with our lives. However, Mum doesn't let her watch some of the shows, since she thinks that it's either too childish for our age group (e.g Play School) or she just can't stand watching it herself (e.g Ha Ha Hooties) and when we all saw the pilot episode for this show (the one they play all of the time, Daniel's Birthday) Everyone including the 7 year old agreed that this show is one of the most obnoxious preschool shows since Dora the Explorer. I was absolutely horrified when I saw the 5 star rating for this show, because I don't see how anyone would like leave alone tolerate this trainwreck. The characters have the dimensions of a cardboard cutout and are too obnoxious to have any simpify for. The animation is painful to look at and the writing + script could have been written by an elementary schooler. I understand that this is supposed to be geared towards infants and preschoolers and not for preteens and teens to take it seriously but I just can't help it and say 'wow I feel really sorry for this generation, growing up with horrible shows like this one' I get it that Mr Rogers made up his show because of the fact that he wanted television to be more than mindless antics and actually deliver some intelligent messages but most of the shows that actually try to follow in his footsteps just turn out to be just like adverts, where they shove the message right down your throat and make it seem pointless and not worthwhile. Parents, I recommend that you try to find some programs that your child can grow up and look back from without cringing. For starters, I would try something like Arthur or Animiniacs (Something that's both entertaining, memorable and educational.) ON: 0-3 IFFY: 4-5 OFF: 6+
Parent Written byAmy11 February 18, 2013

A favorite in our house

I love everything about this show. I don't want my son watching much TV and the TV he does watch should be of a good quality with educational value and appropriate messaging. This one delivers.
Educator and Parent Written byadriana.a.m.g October 27, 2013

Great show, not just for kids, but for Parents and Teachers, too!!!

I am a HUGE advocate for Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood, not just as a mother of a 4 year old (we started watching this show when she was 3), but also as an early childhood educator. In my work, I lead trainings for preschool directors and teachers on how to promote social-emotional development for preschool children. I encourage them to take a look at the show to get ideas on songs they could use in the classroom to encourage positive behaviors, and how easy it is to introduce these concepts. The adults in the cartoon use great verbiage to communicate with children, and parents and teachers can LEARN from this ourselves!!! This show is VERY developmentally appropriate, and easy for parents to watch WITH their kids. This show really comes to life for my daughter when I watch it with her. We have purchased each season, and I familiarize myself with the episodes and topics, and I use some topics related to what my daughter may be struggling with, like sharing, or waiting, or turn-taking. My daughter has memorized all the songs (on her own), and she uses them daily! I was blown away when my daughter shared her toy with her 1 year old sister, singing the words "You can take a turn, and then I'll get it back." This show creates amazing learning opportunities. I highly recommend it!
Kid, 10 years old September 4, 2012

WHEN SOMETHING SEEMS BAD, TURN IT AROUND, AND FIND SOMETHING GOOD!

That song is ingenious. It was stuck in my head for hours yesterday... and I'm 10! That's just one of the songs with positive messages. Daniel visits the doctor (more like the vet?) for a checkup and he gets scared. Kids will relate to that. Everyone in the neighborhood is nice and forgiving when something goes wrong. Not as good as the original Mr. Rogers but still recommended for kids young and old! -Samantha (chocolatecake123) PS: sorry for any typos, I am on a tablet.
Adult Written byGabriel Mohler July 15, 2015

Mr. Rogers is rolling over in his grave

Cute tiger, but incredibly poor animation and stupid script. Morally, it's okay, but there is so much better out there.
Educator and Parent Written bymtrujillo6805 September 8, 2015

NOT A GOOD SHOW HAS NEGATIVE AFFECTS

This show has many negative affects on kids!!! As a parent and educator I don't feel it helps any child with their emotions other than how to harp on negative ones. I do not think it is beneficial to anyone and only makes a sad attempt to do what parents should be doing. This will not be allowed in my classroom or home.
Parent Written bysueryan10 February 8, 2014

Sweet and engaging

My 20 month old son likes this show. We usually watch the end of Sesame street which precedes Daniel Tiger so we always get a snippet of the show. My son has just begun to look interested. He has even sat through an entire 12 minute show. Daniel speaks directly to the audience. The show teaches coping skills for varied realistic situations through a simple song with a predictable melody. in response to the teens who have posted negative reviews on this page: the show is not for 15-17 year olds. it is intended for the preschool crowd and does a good job engaging them with the animation and music.
Parent of an infant and 2 year old Written byalicow79 August 29, 2013

Has My 2 Year Old Talking About His Feelings

A friend recommended this show to me, and it is one of my favorites for my son to watch. At 2 years old, my son is dealing with some big emotions, and Daniel Tiger is great at showing them in a safe, accessible way. Two of our favorites are the "angry" episode (when Daniel gets angry and his mom gets angry ) and the scared episode (scared of shadows). This show has given us a medium with which to discuss some of these feelings, and I love the positive influence it's has on my son. The best TV shows are the ones that you can and want to talk about afterwards, and this one is great for that.
Parent of a 2 and 2 year old Written byjbar2010 January 29, 2013

Engaging and valuable

My toddlers love this show, and so do I! It teaches emotional smarts in such a charming way—it's not heavy-handed like some shows that try too hard. I really can't say enough about it. I'm super pleased that the girls like it too.
Teen, 13 years old Written byDarksouls444 September 11, 2014

another! one of the better shows on pbs

Same as dinosaur but teaches kids social skills and affection and emotions
Parent of a 2 year old Written byVickielynned September 18, 2012

Love the show (Daniel Tiger)

I love Daniel Tiger show I have my 2 yr granddaughter and she loves the show, they had apples being a different color and she picked out the right color, I loved Mr. Rogers show myself, I had hoped someone would bring him back some how, thank you, thank you, she even trys to sing with Daniel. just a grandmother saying thank you. Vickie
Teen, 14 years old Written byReece Abbott June 26, 2015

Kids Show isn't very good, repeats itself

Not gonna lie, this show has some good messages and role models, but it's pretty annoying. The characters and narrator repeat themselves OVER and OVER with the message that they're trying to get through, which probably works, but it's very consistent. Overall it's definitely a show starting for kids at two, but sometimes the way it tries to tell how to control your anger looks a little strange. Give it a try.
Parent Written byGracegirl97 October 8, 2013

Welcome Daniel Tiger to Your Neighborhood!

I am so pleased that PBS had done Mr. Rodgers proud. Daniel Tiger carries on his tradition of teaching kids how to deal with their feelings, make sense of their world, and use their imagination. Lessons are illustrated in simple to understand ways without being simplistic. The song used to reinforce the lesson are easy for parent and child to sing later so that the learning continues well after the show is over. In an age of a plethora of children's programming, Daniel Tiger is my top pick for my son's age group.
Kid, 12 years old November 30, 2015

Ugh. Sick of all these crap shows they put on for kids to watch.

This is dumb. Tigers are much better if their name is Hobbes (Best tiger ever), and this deserves to die. But not as bad as barney or Dinosaur Train or Caillou. Yours, Goatworlds.
Adult Written byamandakhirsch March 6, 2015

Excellent for teaching social and emotional skills

Daniel Tiger is a gentle show that teaches critical social and emotional skills. Every episode has a song that gets repeated several times that focuses on a key lesson/strategy -- for example, "Use Your Words"... Daniel is mad that mom put his toys away when he was still using them, so he gets mad and says grr... and she coaches him to use his words to tell her what's wrong, so she can help him. Other lessons range from "In some ways we are different, but in so many ways, we are the same" (in the episode where we meet one of the character's cousins, who wears crutches) and "It's ok to feel sad sometimes - little by little, you'll feel better again" (which I think is an essential lesson -- rather than "don't cry"). My daughter started watching when she was 2 -- now she's almost 3 and she still LOVES it, and sings the songs all the time. What's more, the show has given us a vocabulary/common reference point as a family...we use the lessons and songs all the time. I cannot recommend this highly enough.
Kid, 12 years old January 9, 2015

I Love Daniel Tiger!

This is a show that I can listen to at 9:15 in the morning while I'm doing my homeschool work. My 4 year old brother started watching this and he instantly started behaving better in front of the family and in public (that's a relief, too!). Though you'll have to get used to endless songs, this will make your kid nicer at home and in public. This should be every kid's first TV show.