Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood

Excellent lessons from Mister Rogers' next generation.

Parent of a 3 year old Written bykristinemay November 7, 2012

Best PBS show of 2012!

This is a show my 3 1/2 year old son looks forward to everyday. The animation in comparable to Super Why! but geared towards a slightly younger age group. It has helped my son in dealing with certain emotions that he doesn't see often, and has helped him in the area of potty training. There was an episode explaining the importance of stopping what you're doing to use the potty. Since then and while we are at home, he has been voluntarily using the bathroom without being asked and rarely an accident!

Adult Written byschenectady1869 September 24, 2012

DEFINITELY Something Good

From the day that the Birthday Episode arrived on the PBS Kids mobile app, I was hooked... and then I shared it with my almost 2 year old daughter. It's beautiful, nostalgic, familiar and engaging. She asks daily to watch "Daniel Tiger" and we save it for special occasions as we are trying to limit her screen time for as long as possible. We watched the Birthday episode at least 10 times before the new episodes arrived the first week of September. Grown Ups Come Back, "Something Good", and "I will too" are phrases she uses freely. It's wholesome but not muted, musical but non inane, and most importantly engaging and relatable without straying far from reality. As the oldest of 4 children, I watched Mr. Roger's Neighborhood and then the re-runs for over a decade. It never got old and really is a hallmark of social & emotional developmental programming for a few generations. I am thrilled to share Daniel with my daughter and despite the recent adoption of the show to my daughter's world, it's already the focus of tiny relatable interactions. Thank you to all the creative minds and supportive funding for making this a reality! Now get your product development team cooking on merchandise and birthday party activities! (If you need help, holler at this marketing mama.)

Parent of a 5 year old Written byMMLRONARD1 December 28, 2015

Teaching Style Dissapointed

I have my kid watch this show often. I was watching an episode where the theme was if your upset stomp your feet three times. I could not believe this, this is teaching my child to have a temper tantrum! I don't think I'll have my child watch this show anymore.
Adult Written bymtrujillo6805 September 8, 2015

NOT A GOOD SHOW HAS NEGATIVE AFFECTS

This show has many negative affects on kids!!! As a parent and educator I don't feel it helps any child with their emotions other than how to harp on negative ones. I do not think it is beneficial to anyone and only makes a sad attempt to do what parents should be doing. This will not be allowed in my classroom or home.
Adult Written byadriana.a.m.g October 27, 2013

Great show, not just for kids, but for Parents and Teachers, too!!!

I am a HUGE advocate for Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood, not just as a mother of a 4 year old (we started watching this show when she was 3), but also as an early childhood educator. In my work, I lead trainings for preschool directors and teachers on how to promote social-emotional development for preschool children. I encourage them to take a look at the show to get ideas on songs they could use in the classroom to encourage positive behaviors, and how easy it is to introduce these concepts. The adults in the cartoon use great verbiage to communicate with children, and parents and teachers can LEARN from this ourselves!!! This show is VERY developmentally appropriate, and easy for parents to watch WITH their kids. This show really comes to life for my daughter when I watch it with her. We have purchased each season, and I familiarize myself with the episodes and topics, and I use some topics related to what my daughter may be struggling with, like sharing, or waiting, or turn-taking. My daughter has memorized all the songs (on her own), and she uses them daily! I was blown away when my daughter shared her toy with her 1 year old sister, singing the words "You can take a turn, and then I'll get it back." This show creates amazing learning opportunities. I highly recommend it!

Adult Written byGabriel Mohler July 15, 2015

Mr. Rogers is rolling over in his grave

Cute tiger, but incredibly poor animation and stupid script. Morally, it's okay, but there is so much better out there.
Parent Written byGracegirl97 October 8, 2013

Welcome Daniel Tiger to Your Neighborhood!

I am so pleased that PBS had done Mr. Rodgers proud. Daniel Tiger carries on his tradition of teaching kids how to deal with their feelings, make sense of their world, and use their imagination. Lessons are illustrated in simple to understand ways without being simplistic. The song used to reinforce the lesson are easy for parent and child to sing later so that the learning continues well after the show is over. In an age of a plethora of children's programming, Daniel Tiger is my top pick for my son's age group.

Parent Written byAmy11 February 18, 2013

A favorite in our house

I love everything about this show. I don't want my son watching much TV and the TV he does watch should be of a good quality with educational value and appropriate messaging. This one delivers.

Parent Written byTony B. May 19, 2017
As a parent, I find a show like this to be conflicting. My review may be abit lengthy (Im sorry in advance lol) the show isn't necessarily bad, there are some positive qualities to the show, so I'll give it that. However, based on what I've observed from the show and what my son has learned from it bothers me. First off, I find daniel whines abit, he also growls when he's upset( I know he's a tiger) & there's a song in one episode " when your mad, stomp 3 times" yeah, not helpful. The show can also be annoying.One of Daniels friend- a cat says " meow-meow" constantly eg " meow-meow daniel, how are you today? Meow-meow" Growling, stomping and whining- all traits my kid picked up from this show.there's more I'm not too fond about but I won't go on further. Parents be warned; while not a bad show, it will likely get on your nerves and possibly teach your kid bad habits- like growling. This show is nowhere near what mr. Rogers did with the land of make believe
Parent of an infant, 1, and 4 year old Written byKelly L. June 24, 2017

Scares my 4 year old

My son keeps finding this on Amazon video on his own, and after watching it, he is always in a bad mood. Most notably, the episode about being afraid of the dark. Ever since seeing it, my son has been afraid of the dark. Prior to that he wasn't afraid at all. And he often mimics the bad behaviors portrayed in the show, so I no longer allow him to watch it. The show fixates too much on the negative and only highlights the positive very briefly. It's just an awful show all around. I'm sure mr Rogers is rolling in his grave because this show destroyed his wonderful creation.
Parent Written bysueryan10 February 8, 2014

Sweet and engaging

My 20 month old son likes this show. We usually watch the end of Sesame street which precedes Daniel Tiger so we always get a snippet of the show. My son has just begun to look interested. He has even sat through an entire 12 minute show. Daniel speaks directly to the audience. The show teaches coping skills for varied realistic situations through a simple song with a predictable melody. in response to the teens who have posted negative reviews on this page: the show is not for 15-17 year olds. it is intended for the preschool crowd and does a good job engaging them with the animation and music.

Parent of a 2 and 7 year old Written byShelby Rae G. September 23, 2016

One of the worst children's shows on television right now

I personally first thought that there was nothing wrong with this show and that it was just one that I didn't enjoy watching with my youngest son as well as others during his limited screen time. We all have our own individual preferences, likes, dislikes, etc. and that's fine. I thought that it was still most likely a positive, educational, and wholesome children's show. It's not, I was mistaken. Here's why.. Plot summary- First things first, the plot is based off of the segment from Mr. Roger's Neighborhood where he sends his toy trolley into the Land of Make-Believe. They use many songs from Mr. Roger's neighborhood, Daniel Tiger puts on his red sweater every morning at the start of the show and sings a familiar tune from Mr. Roger's. At first I thought it was going to be the same characters from The Land of Make-Believe but it's not. They've all gotten older and had kids. It's about their children. The Problems- Daniel Tiger is much less independent and much more whiney than the average preschool aged child. He seems very inconsiderate, selfish, bratty, and is always dependent on the adults in the show to help him get through his "problems". The problems aren't really problems though. They're things like having to wait to be served at a restaurant, getting a rash from eating peaches, and having to tolerate sharing his mother's attention with his little sister. Every problem he faces is made into a huge life altering, lesson learning, major ordeal which requires the strong hands of his adults to solve. He never seems to solve any problems for himself and the show regularly encourages dependence on the parents. He. whines. about. literally. everything. He doesn't just say, "Oh wow! We have to wait kind of a long time at the restaurant but it sure is nice of Mom and Dad to bring me here for dinner!" He says, "I HATE waiting! We've been waiting forever! I'm so hungry! When's our food going to be here?!" The other characters aren't much better. Mom Tiger gives a totally unrealistic depiction of a mother's patience. Despite Daniel's perpetual brattiness, crying, and whining she always has the patience of a saint. She never changes her tone of voice, becomes unhappy, or acts annoyed. There's also a kitty cat who says meow meow constantly. An average statement from her would be, "I love to play blocks meow meow! Would you like to meow blocks with me meow meow?" Which is beyond annoying. O is another of Daniel's friends. He is an owl who lives in the same tree the kitty cat and her mother do. O the owl is raised by his uncle. The kitty cat is raised by her mother who is unmarried but was previously married to an actor. Miss Elaine is yet another friend on the show who is raised by her racially mixed parents whom are assumably married. Then there's the royal family. Prince Tuesday and Wednesday are raised by their parents the Queen and King Friday. They are annoying as well and also self absorbed selfish brats. They remind everyone constantly throughout the show of their princely status by saying things like, "I'm having a royally good time!" Or "I'm royally hungry!" Plus they roll their R's in an annoying way. Bad Morals In Show- lack of self sufficiency, whining, brattiness, sibling rivalry, unwed parents, untraditional family dynamics, inability to share, encouraging dependency, unfair and unrealistic depiction of parents, plus others The Good Bits- I guess I'll give the show a few points for bringing me some nostalgia related to Mr. Roger's but that's far from being enough to save this show. The show does not have swearing, strong sexuality, or any true violence however. Bottom Line- This show is one of several shows on television right now (like Cailou) that encourages brattiness, whining, and sibling rivalry in children. I'd prefer my own kids to watch something more positive during their limited television time.

Parent of a 2 and 2 year old Written byjbar2010 January 29, 2013

Engaging and valuable

My toddlers love this show, and so do I! It teaches emotional smarts in such a charming way—it's not heavy-handed like some shows that try too hard. I really can't say enough about it. I'm super pleased that the girls like it too.

Adult Written byamandakhirsch March 6, 2015

Excellent for teaching social and emotional skills

Daniel Tiger is a gentle show that teaches critical social and emotional skills. Every episode has a song that gets repeated several times that focuses on a key lesson/strategy -- for example, "Use Your Words"... Daniel is mad that mom put his toys away when he was still using them, so he gets mad and says grr... and she coaches him to use his words to tell her what's wrong, so she can help him. Other lessons range from "In some ways we are different, but in so many ways, we are the same" (in the episode where we meet one of the character's cousins, who wears crutches) and "It's ok to feel sad sometimes - little by little, you'll feel better again" (which I think is an essential lesson -- rather than "don't cry"). My daughter started watching when she was 2 -- now she's almost 3 and she still LOVES it, and sings the songs all the time. What's more, the show has given us a vocabulary/common reference point as a family...we use the lessons and songs all the time. I cannot recommend this highly enough.

Parent of a 2 year old Written byVickielynned September 18, 2012

Love the show (Daniel Tiger)

I love Daniel Tiger show I have my 2 yr granddaughter and she loves the show, they had apples being a different color and she picked out the right color, I loved Mr. Rogers show myself, I had hoped someone would bring him back some how, thank you, thank you, she even trys to sing with Daniel. just a grandmother saying thank you. Vickie

Parent of an infant and 2 year old Written byCupcake Mom August 15, 2016

I AM SINGING MY HAPPY SONG! (A reference for Daniel Tiger fans)

A wonderful show about teamwork, having fun with your friends, and being a four year old. This fuzzy tiger is on our T.V every morning, and it is one of the shows I am happy to let Jillan-Mae watch!

Parent of an infant and 2 year old Written byalicow79 August 29, 2013

Has My 2 Year Old Talking About His Feelings

A friend recommended this show to me, and it is one of my favorites for my son to watch. At 2 years old, my son is dealing with some big emotions, and Daniel Tiger is great at showing them in a safe, accessible way. Two of our favorites are the "angry" episode (when Daniel gets angry and his mom gets angry ) and the scared episode (scared of shadows). This show has given us a medium with which to discuss some of these feelings, and I love the positive influence it's has on my son. The best TV shows are the ones that you can and want to talk about afterwards, and this one is great for that.

Parent Written byLiomarys R. July 18, 2017

Teaches Real Life Lessons in social, emotional and interpersonal skills

Rogers was a genius and this beautiful programming shows just that. Great values, fantastic music, enjoyable for the entire family. This is the type of show we need. His family is present, he has friends his age, he interacts with community members and is a well rounded kid. He learns from his mistakes with help from those who love him. It is a fantastic program. I love all the apps as well. I am a teacher of children with special needs and I totally approve of this program. I even enjoy it myself and watch out for things I should be doing. Also, all of the strategies taught are appropriate. Stomping your feet is not a tantrum, it is a strategy to let physical energy out during a difficult emotion in order to prevent a tantrum. I love it! All of the songs are very catchy for the kids and we sing them at home. We have been watching it for 3 years almost daily now. I never get tired of it and my child asks for it every day. A study found that this show does teach positive strategies and children that watch it have more positive behaviors. But no show will do the parenting for us. We need to be involved and help the child transfer the strategies from the show to real life.

Parent of a 3 year old Written byCassie M. August 8, 2017

This show is amazing

This is the most amazing kids show I have ever seen in my life!!! Do not pay attention to all of the people whining because this isn't like Mr Rogers' Neighborhood - it's not SUPPOSED to be. It's aimed at young toddlers, therefore it is bright and colorful and has lots of cute repetitive songs. Pros: - great moral lessons - teaches children how to be responsible, kind, and self-confident - teaches parents how to be patient with children - entertaining songs - bright colors, very eye-catching and will hold a child's attention Cons: - some of the lessons can backfire on a very young child (the episode that teaches how to handle being afraid backfired on us and made our toddler afraid of thunder and loud noises, when she wasn't before) - not all seasons are made equal. Seasons 5-6 have a few episodes where the lessons aren't valuable or useful. - ummmm nothing else really? This show is pretty perfect. Honestly baffled by the negative reviews, I've seen shows way worse than this. The moral and social lessons are always perfectly handled, even touching on important subjects such as how to interact with disabled children, and also that being different doesn't make you less valuable. Honestly the lessons in this show are so incredible, even my husband and I learned something from a few of the episodes (such as gentle ways to patiently handle a child throwing a tantrum!). This show has very vibrant colors that will ensnare your child's attention right from the beginning. Lots of wonderful lessons are "compacted" into a short, memorable song that my toddler frequently sings to other people. We have often been able to use these songs as teaching tools for her, as well as reminders that help her work through a situation (such as how to wait patiently, cleaning up is a good thing, etc). Some of the best lessons/songs I can remember off the top of my head from this show are: - "Do your best. Your best is the best for you!" - "Whatever you do, think of what other people need too." - "When you wait, you can play; sing or imagine anything!" - "When you feel so mad that you want to roar, take a deep breath and count to 4." - "When someone doesn't want to play with you, you can find something else to do." - "When you're sick, rest is best." - "It's okay to make mistakes. Try to fix them and learn from them, too!" - "Think about what you're gonna do and pick the clothes that are right for you." Honestly I know some adults who could benefit from the lessons in this show. If you're looking for the perfect family show, you found it.

Parent of an infant, 1, 4, 11, and 18+ year old Written byAdrianna R. August 13, 2016

Daniel Tiger's Neighbourhood

The squeaky voices drive me nuts, but my 4yo loves this show. She has EVERYTHING Daniel Tiger! Cups, Plates, Bedsheets, Apps, Stuffed Animals, Costumes, a play set with EVERY place in the land of Make Believe, and even Daniel Tiger wallpaper! When I need to keep Jasmine busy, I just plop her in front of the T.V and turn on Daniel Tiger. I watched Mr. Rogers' Neighbourhood when I was little, and this brings back memories. Well done PBS KIDS!