Bloody drama for adults only -- we mean it!

Adult Written byagcardy June 6, 2011

Has Potential But Overall a Huge Disappointment

This show has potential. I am entering the field of psychology and find the overall plot fascinating, from that standpoint. The acting is ok. However, the excessive use of violence/gore and sexuality makes it unwatchable. My husband and I are in our mid-20's and stopped watching at the 3rd season because the gore and sex were so prevalent. I've heard it gets even worse as the seasons go on. People who say their teens or 11 year-olds can watch this are, in my opinion, insane. I would never subject anyone to this show, whether child, teen or adult. Pass.
Educator and Parent Written byProtectivemama74 June 22, 2014

Honestly

I read the reviews on here and felt like I should write a more truthful version from the perspective of a protective mama. There are more positive messages in this show than in most others I have seen, better than anything on Disney or any other children's program. Yes there are times when the show is graphic but if that bothers you when having a teen then maybe raising kids isn't for you. The show is great, the message is great, the plot is great, and anything that could be considered iffy is kept to a minimum, this show is great, I watch it with both my teens and they love it as well. If you are concerned about this influencing your kid in anyway then I as a mother say that you haven't done a good job raising them, if a tv show is influencing them. -signed Principal of high school Mother of three Psychology major Honest review writer And protective mama
Teen, 15 years old Written byLord Voldemort July 21, 2009

Television at its best, but not for the youngins'.

Alright, so there are a lot of things in this show that aren't appropriate for little kids. Does that mean it's a bad show? Absolutely not. I am consistently astounded by the severe stupidity of people on this website that will give something one star because it was too violent. Don't watch it, then. It's as simple as that. With that being said, Dexter is probably one of the best serial dramas on television today. It's refreshing, funny, sickening, and exciting. I, for one, have always despised the ridiculously repititive crime dramas (a la Law and Order, CSI, Numb3rs, Criminal Minds), and at first I thought that I might be turned off by the similarities to these shows in Dexter, but I was quickly proven wrong. Even once you get past the little twist that this show has, it's still not your typical crime program. 'Nuff said. And it's on a premium channel, for goodness sake. If you watch it and are offended by its content, you should try out for the scarecrow part in the next possible production of "The Wizard of Oz."
Parent of a 17 year old Written by84664 April 27, 2011

ok for kids 11

note i would let my kids watch it but i would not let my kids repeat the language
Teen, 16 years old Written bymovieelover September 11, 2010

I love this show! i have been watching it since i was 12 and its amazing! Should be fine for mature teens.

Parent Written byobnoxiousm September 6, 2010

Definitely not for kids. Parents Beware! Great Grown-Up Watch, though.

Dexter is definitely not a kids show. It's a great story of a monster trying to be something beside a monster, engaging, thought provoking, even beautiful... but it's something that's too complicated, off-center, violent and unapologetic for kids. The only reasons I can see showing it to someone fifteen and up are these: either your very mature older teen has asked to see it and you think they're ready to tackle complete moral ambiguity on their own, or your very mature older teen has said horrible things about the mentally ill and you want to remind them that even the sickest monsters are people with feelings, too. Otherwise, keep the kids away!
Kid, 8 years old September 30, 2014

Inappropriate for kids under 7 years old

Sorry first grader but you can't watch this one. Wait till your kid hits second grade,
Teen, 13 years old Written byflyingv123 April 9, 2008

More than meets the eye

What people need to understand about this show is that it's intelligent. Dexter's murderous disposition is used to explore human nature, which is fascinating to me. I think and mature teen should be able to handle this.
Kid, 12 years old January 11, 2016

One of best tv shows ever.

Dexter is a tv draama series anonut a serial killer it is not as violent as you might think and Dexter killer only criminals.
Adult Written byover21andconcerned November 9, 2009

Not for children . . . PERIOD

Possibly appropriate for 18 and older, but parents, if your kids are younger than that DON'T LET THEM WATCH IT! The violence isn't the problem, although it is pretty graphic. It is the sex and language that is appalling for young teens. My opinion is that this is for adults only.
Parent of a 13 year old Written bydocpainter October 1, 2009

for certain adults only

This is simply an excellent series. Very macabre subject matter. Excellent writing. How else can you explain the curious empathy you develop towards this killer. Nothing any child should be watching. Michael C. Hall couldn't be more different from his character on SIx Feet Under.
Parent of a 18+ year old Written byhaha2002 June 9, 2016

amazing!!!!!

honestly in my opinion its not too bad. it all really just depends on how much the child can take. it depends if the kid is mature enough to watch Dexter.
Parent Written bythephillips4 November 9, 2010

adults only

Teen, 14 years old Written byslasher23 September 5, 2010
not for kids
Teen, 17 years old Written byoctober1985 December 28, 2009
It's on HBO, so expect tons of sex, violence and profanity. I've been watching it since it first aired. It's a very good show with great preformances. I think it is for the most part appropriate for ages 14 and up. The DVD is rated 14A in Canada.
Adult Written byelishap November 19, 2014

awesome show!

Great show but very bloody and sexual content is strong when it appears
Teen, 16 years old Written bybreakfastclubgirl3 July 11, 2013

Dexter Review

Dexter is a brilliantly written show. I would suggest 14 being the minimum age to watch this show. There is a lot of sex and nudity (in almost every episode), A LOT of profanity (Deborah Morgan uses f**k in almost every sentence), a lot of violence (every episode features Dexter killing a person and at a gruesome crime scene--with one or two exceptions), and there is a lot of drinking--and especially in the last season of Dexter (season 8) there is a lot of drug usage.
Teen, 16 years old Written byPLANTF00D September 30, 2012

Incredible show for mature audiences only

I consider myself a very mature teen, but some scenes,especially the death of Dexter's mother made me incredibly disturbed. This show is fantastic and Michael C. Hall does a wonderful job. The show however despite it's genius, is very graphic in the language, violence and sexual department. I have only seen the first season but what i was thankful for is that Dexter's kills where not extremely graphic. The Camera usually cuts away when Dexter takes out his target. Despite that fact, it is still incredibly violent,mainly due to the Antagonist's kill style where he dismembers his victims and places them in public areas. Other graphic scenes, and highly disturbing ones at that, include Dexter's mother's death and a hotel room with copious amounts of blood. The language on the show is incredibly coarse. The rough language mostly originates from Dexter's sister, Deb, and the Police Sergeant named Doakes. Sexual innuendo's are frequently used from Dexter's fellow crime analyst Masuka as well. The sex and nudity is not incredibly graphic all though breasts are common exposed and in one instance, Dexter's Girlfriend Rita is fully nude. Again, I am not how much more graphic the show gets through other seasons since I have only seen the first. while it is a great show, no child should watch this due to it's theme and graphic content.
Kid, 12 years old August 28, 2011

Amazing Show-- My favorite Drama show

Amazing show, I may be 12, but this show is great. Saying it's inappropriate for anybody under 18 is ridiculous. This show is for Mature people (Thus the TV-MA-L,S,V rating makes sense, with the Showtime Content Descriptors: AC = Adult Content, GL = Graphic Language, GV = Graphic Violence, and BN = Breif Nudity). I watch this on Netflix/ Showtime, and I'm not uncomfortable or anything. I'm hooked on the show, and I just can't get enough. And plus, He only kills people who deserve it. Can't wait for season 6!
Teen, 14 years old Written bysilv3rdream June 1, 2011

It's fine!

I love this show. As of a certain age, I'd say it's fine for kids. PG-13 for sure, though. A few curse words said usually by one character in particular, and a little bit of nudity. Not too much though. Give it a rest, guys! Yeah, he kills people, but only bad people. It's a very fun, exciting, and interesting show. I watch it all the time.