Bloody drama for adults only -- we mean it!

Adult Written byBurd July 29, 2015

Amazing show if you like dark, psychological, and very edgy/unqiue.

Definitely not for the children. Not for all adults either. There is gore, there is minor nudity, and some sex scenes (it's moreso romance instead of just raunchy). The main character is a serial killer of other serial killers. Sort of like the "compassionate hitman" archetype you see with "The Profesional," except in a more twisted way as Dexter is a psychopath. He basically battles his own demons after seeing his family killed at a young age and tries to keep himself on some higher ground by only killing TRULY EVIL people. Taking down the other killers that the cops can't catch and such. Its a very good drama as well. Most of the supporting characters are normal cops. They are very easy to connect to. Intersting contrast between Dex and his buddies. If you can by some gore it truly is an amazing series. Very real feel to it. Just raw life, for a serial killer anyways. So yeah, NOT FOR KIDS. I could see some mature teens being able to watch it. That's totally up to the parent though. A+ show for adults who can get by the gore if that's your only issue with it. And there are "positive role models" in the supporting cast, but I really don't think a child should watch this. Too dark. I don't think a kid could grasp the depth of the show, or even enjoy watching it.
Adult Written bylogan cot July 8, 2015
The tv show is good but not to all person.... if you are a chtistian you will see the good and the bad things i am christian and i see it
Teen, 16 years old Written bytomogutu100 June 1, 2015

SUITABLE FOR PERSONS 18 AND OVER

Parents need to know that this tv show is rated TV-MA for a reason. Its not to be viewed by those under 18. The main issue is the pervasive violence, done for the most abnormal reasons. Dexter is far from a good person or role model. His is damaged because of how he was taught. Violence shows limbs of dead bodies dropped in different locations. Dexter's favourite method, slicing, stripping the victim naked, and stabbing them on the throat or heart. Language rages from f*ck to motherf*cker, s*it and other profanity. Sex scenes are common, but very infrequent, and are suggestions of sex and sexuality,. Very adult themes including rape, murder, mans illness to kill. Only for adults (teens 18 and over) and possibly the most mature teens, but not recommended (16+)
Teen, 13 years old Written byJoeTPB May 15, 2015

Well, it was a good storyline...

If your child is under 17, this is a no no. Some people let their kids watch this. Bad idea. People who are exposed to violence are less considerate of other's emotions. If your child can stand watching this show without discomfort, you are a parent who has exposed your child to too much violence.
Adult Written byzeekattacklee February 2, 2015

Dexter review..

I will admit the show is a little bit interesting.. Otherwise, The show does have a lot of language and graphic content.. On that note, I wouldn’t recommend this to young children.. Other than that, a great show for mature teenagers and adults..
Teen, 14 years old Written byKhuzy January 25, 2015

Okay TV show, but off limits

Note I have watched the first 3 episodes of dexter and that was enough for me. I thought it would be just violence but I was wrong, it deals with alot of iffy content such and extreme and disturbing violence. Rape, brutal rape infact and very strong coarse language, and the main character Dexter is a terrible role model, but younger kids would think he is "cool" I guess it is a good show but im 14 and all of the stuff was a bit too much for me. If it was a movie it would most likey be NC17
Kid, 12 years old December 25, 2014

NOT FOR KIDS

18 Contains very strong language, bloody images, violence, gore, crime scene images, rape themes, strong sex.
Adult Written bymagbens9 December 15, 2014

Exciting and Thrilling

The only people who should have problems with their kids watching this are the obnoxiously overprotective ones. Season 1 explains why Dexter is a serial killer and even then, he only goes after the people that he knows are bad. The show is incredibly interesting as it is told with narrations coming from Dexter himself.
Adult Written byelishap1 December 15, 2014

great show!

Good characters and never boring
Teen, 13 years old Written byaainsley19 November 21, 2014

Bloody but brilliant!

Although this is a show about a serial killer, the violence is not graphic at all! In fact, the only time you see a shot of him killing someone is when he stabs them in the chest. Most of the bloodiest parts of the show are the crime scenes that can be very bloody. However, since you never see the actual act of violence it's not that bad. The worst part of Dexter is the sex. It isn't too graphic and nearly never shows actual sex, but there is a lot of breast nudity in strip clubs and during sex. It's often unflinching in it's show of sexual acts. There is also a few "f" words here and there, but nothing notable. At times the show can be hilarious with witty dialogue and hearing Dexter's inside thoughts. At other times it's dark when Dexter is hunting and killing his victims. Overall, i'd let my kids watch it at 13.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysisi16 November 17, 2014

love it

Maybe a thing to watch if ur ok with gore. i love it and im young so....
Teen, 15 years old Written byHitgirlmindy February 14, 2014

Beautifully done

Beautifully made and amazingly directed. As long as you are not faint hearted or afraid of .. Well.. Serial killers... Then this is an amazing series. I have nothing negative to say about the series other than the fact that even though the main character is meant to be a forensic technician, some of the special effect makeup and the murder scenes where a bit off. After studying forensic science and crime scene investigation I always pick up on things that are either meant to or not meant to be in certain places. So as long as you haven't studied any of those subject and aren't watching with someone who has it is a very enjoyable master piece. Also very true to the original books.
Teen, 14 years old Written byWisdomIsAll November 29, 2013

View with caution!

The main problem with Dexter is not even the excessive sex, nudity, profanity, and substance use. It's the way the show plays with your morality that really leaves you questioning how you view violence. Dexter, the main character whom the show is named after, is a serial killer who follows a specific code when he chooses his victims. You might think "serial killer=bad," a reasonable deduction, until you realize "okay, he only kills bad guys, so he isn't that bad after all." But who's to say it's ever acceptable to kill anyone, regardless of their nature? Okay. Serious stuff aside, it really is an exciting show to watch (up until Season 5, that is). It is worthy of noting that one of the main characters, Debra- Dex's sister- has a sailor's mouth and has elevated cursing into an art form. After a while, though, it no longer makes an impression.
Teen, 16 years old Written byKellyR1021 November 19, 2013

Exciting show, but season eight had such a great build up for such a lame, inconclusive ending

Its for a mature audience, but its one of the best shows I have ever seen, great plot... Until the end. And if you are looking for educational and good for kids why are you looking at a showtime show, I just wanna clear that up. Anyway there is nudity, sex, and drugs, oh and killing, someone dies in almost every episode, though they are criminals so you can choose to spin that as a 'don't do crime or dexter will find you' message; I'm kidding; but as long as your kid isnt mentally disturbed in some way its an exciting show to watch, but honestly either end at season six or seven or be disappointed in season eight, yeah its that bad in season 8, I mean and unresolved cliffhangar or season seven's shocking but in a way conclusive ending is better that the way season eight ended, with a bad monologue and a gap obviously meant to leave room for a bad spin off, especially since my favorite character has little chance of return in said spin off. In conclusion myself seasons 1-7 are great, avoid season eight like the black plague.
Teen, 17 years old Written byCloudy888 November 5, 2013

The pros of learning of psychopaths & morals

I have watched Dexter from start to finish and have been amazed by the sheer quality (minus season 8) of the show. It is a very refreshing show because I tend to get used to the stale shows on TV. Dexter is a psychopath with no emotions and no moral compas. He acts with his "lizard brain" and uses instinct for most situations and his only morals are those that were given to him by his father which allow him to kill people and live a happy-ish life. I think that he is a decent roll model because he puts his family above all and he tries extremely hard to not have to commit murder but it is driven in his mind. The positive messages do not come from dexter himself but they come from all the other characters in the show such as Angel Batista, Maria LaGuerta, and his sister Deb Morgan. In the end the show is extremely dark and disturbing with blood coming in massive amounts and in every episode. Some mature teens can handle it but in my opinion dont let your kids watch it. I have seen the series and I would consider myself to be quite mature for my age and I could handle the massive amounts of violence buy my folks thought that the show was horribly disturbing and refused to be in the same room with me when I was watching it.
Adult Written byjoshua martinez September 28, 2013

not for kids

this bloody drama show Dexter is a great show with a good story line script with good actors such as Michael c.hall as the serial killer and Jennifer carpenter who plays as the sister role to Dexter and other actors who have there roles but parents this drama show Dexter is not for kids it is only for adults and parents you need to know that Dexter has a lot of intense bloody violence such as when Dexter injects his serial killer victims with a dog tranquillizer so that they pass out and kidnapped's them then takes them to a quiet location to where he begins his act first he uses a scalpel to make a slight cut on the victims face and then takes there blood and puts it on his blood slide collection as a trophy and then Dexter chops up all of his victims and disposes of them in garbage bags then he dumps them in the Miami bay water several graphic shots of dead bodies that have been completely decapitated and dismembered Other violent acts include shouting, pushing, choking, and strangling Subjects touched on in the series include rape, pedophilia, domestic violence, and the twisted mind of serial killers also there are graphic sex and nudity shown on screen and characters used constant strong language and characters drink, smoke, and used drugs.
Parent Written byChooseNicely August 17, 2013

Dexter; Great show

The show is about a serial killer who kills awful people living in the Miami area and its beyond great. I don't see why everyone is quite so uptight about things on here but its ridiculous. Your kids are going to experience things in real life, why completely shelter them form interesting, smart and just plain good things? Dexter is a complicated well written show with good actors. Besides, your run of the mill superhero goes out, fights crime in the city he protects and has a secret identity. Dexter goes out and kills the bad guys and (obviously) keeps it all a secret as he works as a blood splatter expert for the Miami police department during the day. I swear, people on here remind me of the '50's the the worst way possible. Half the kids out there today are having s-x before they hit high school. Wake up, and let your kids experience GOOD things like this, things they can benefit from; Intellectual things.
Teen, 17 years old Written bykadomagall96 July 31, 2013

Best show ever. Only for mature older teens and audults.

I'm 17, and this is by far my favorite show...ever. I think that at times it may not even be appropriate for my age, it all depends on the maturity level. Very gruesome violence, and tons of strong language. But the most intriguing, suspenseful and phsychopathic show i've seen so far. This makes criminal minds look like child's play. Anyone interested in criminology and the crime world, this show is a defnite must.
Teen, 13 years old Written byKatiex April 11, 2013

Think Again!!!

People might say this is is not for kids and I understand where your coming from but I have seen way worse so I think you need to worry about them more than Dexter. Just saying *raises hands
Parent Written byKarine18 February 22, 2013

Hey!

It's quite weird to see that you put "not for kids" for Dexter and I'm also a bit suprised by the choices of the children or the parents because in France, due to the csa, Dexter can be watched by children of 10. Infact, I have noticed a real difference between america and France.