All member reviews for Dexter

Bloody drama for adults only -- we mean it!

NOT FOR KIDS

Learning(i)

Teen, 15 years old Written byxxHolly July 22, 2011

A Macabre Delight

Dexter plays with a very unique premise: the main character is a witty, likable serial killer who's easy to want to root for. The show is strong in both its intriguing crime drama aspects and its more emotional aspects concerning how Dexter balances his multiple roles of blood spatter analyst/ family man/ sociopathic serial killer. Obviously, Dexter's complexity, grey morality, and mature themes make it only watchable for older teens and up. The levels of violence, sex, and language present in it aren't exactly shocking, but it is one of the more adult shows on television. It's an interesting, intelligent, and thought-provoking show for those who can handle its off-kilter and unapologetic nature.
Kid, 11 years old March 31, 2011

i luve it but...

i love this show,but i probably should not watch it. it has sexual sequences between dexter and rita,even though they dont go far.also horrible language flys freely. since dexter is a killer,there is a lot of on screen violence.
Teen, 13 years old Written bykellipetrelli November 11, 2010

Love the show. Love the Actor.

Michael C. Hall is an amazing actor. There's no arguing with that. But this show is a very bloody and a little disturbing show. i am only 13, but i believe this show is okayfor only VERY MATURE TEENS. im used to blood and stuff... (ACTION! ACTION! ACTION!) But... just because he said that he's killing other killers, doesnt mean he can kill them... otherwise, one of my favorite shows, favorite actor, and the character DEXTER is very amazing, interesting, and captivating. love this show, but dont know if anyone under 14 should watch.
Teen, 15 years old Written bySamazar October 12, 2010

Off

Brilliant plot, brilliant characters. Not for kids.
Teen, 15 years old Written byjustkickinit August 23, 2010

Older teens only. And up obviously :D

I Absolutely Love it. It is sick and twisted and violent. It is the other side to the CSI's. It is mind turning and awesome. Though, it can be explicit with sex and nudity, It wasn't the majority of the plot. It was there and i wish there was a little less. I like how each one stems off the other and they are a little more realistic on the time to catch a serial killer.
Parent of a 13 and 16 year old Written byNascarJunkie65 July 5, 2010

You could do MUCH worse...

The character Dexter is not a role model and he admits it repeatedly throughout the series. He is a damaged as a child by the horrific murder of his mother, which is the trigger for being a serial killer. This show isn't for young kids at all, and younger teens shouldn't watch it without parents present, but I believe most are mature enough to comprehend that this is fiction. There is just as much, if not more gore, cursing, and sex in the average "slasher/scary" movie. If this show was a movie, it would be rated R. The story lines and writing on this show are very well written and the characters have great depth.
Teen, 16 years old Written byAsh Carter May 6, 2010

I have to say it's kind of a adults show but you have to give it credit it is a great show!
Teen, 13 years old Written byAnimeGirl-Nikki March 31, 2010

Rightfully rated TV-MA for graphic bloody violence, sexuality/nudity, and language. Though, it has a pretty interesting and complex plot, so it's sure to keep you guessing. Even though it's meant for adults, I think teens (like me) can watch it as long as it doesn't scare them.
Adult Written bysupakillaii December 28, 2009

Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written byRationale December 4, 2009

Intelligent adult show, that is fine for some teens.

This isn't for kids, period, but it's a very intelligent, dramatic, and well-acted show. I would think if a teenager isn't easily influenced by characters who swear or show violent acts, then this could present some well laid out ethical and social debates. I wouldn't let any child below 15 see this IMO. It's not kid, or preteen appropriate by any stretch of the imagination.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byMSK1982 November 25, 2009

Good for adults and teens 16+

As long as it is understood Dexter is NOT a role model/hero, this show is excellent entertainment.
Parent of a 14 year old Written byMr. Boxbox November 11, 2009

A bloody show, but the violence is rarely explicit and most of the time only suggested, although it shows very graphic afterviews of brutal murders and mutilations. The sex although not in every episode is very explicit. It's got lots of swearing too. Not a show for kids because of violent images, scenes, occasional explicit sex, partial nudity, and a liberal use of swearing, but teens should be fine.
Adult Written byExecutiveProducer August 20, 2009

Ends appropriate, means skewed.

One shouldn't (I hope) support the means that the title character pursues. However, the ends appear ultimately noble in nature... once the not-so-politically correct motives are adequately understood (which is the concern of this drama). Robin Hood "robbed the rich to aid the poor." Dexter dispatches strictly evil individuals out of an inherent need to extinguish, which, in the process, ultimately aids society. It's not revenge in the least, but a necessity for him to continue existing. He may perhaps be deemed a serial killer, but a "serial killer of serial killers," especially one that abides by a code of morality far more keen than ours, does not seem apt for condemnation.
Kid, 10 years old July 25, 2009

No kids Or teens

Poogey time? i think so
Kid, 10 years old June 26, 2009

NO KIDS. Absolutely not apropriate.

An excellent drama about Dexter whom has interesting adventures. By this, I mean I dont blink once every time I watch one! No kiddin'.
Adult Written byWildWestSamurai January 27, 2009

Definitely not for kids, but definitely a masterful series

Some people find it slow, others find it suspenseful. Some find it a dull analysis of the dark side of human nature, others find it a fascinating analysis. It's mostly a love-it-or-hate-it show, but it has enough of a unique concept (crime scene investigator whose hobby involves killing criminals, mainly murderers). Sort of like a sociopathic homicidal Batman without the costume. The show isn't meant to be an exact analysis of a sociopath, as Dexter does display plenty of symptoms that do not pertain to the common sociopath, but it is intriguing nonetheless. It can be awkward and slow in some parts, but the show does so with the same savoring skill Dexter uses when confronting his victims. Plenty of plot twists, if you're into that. Now, as for the maturity level... considering that I'm fresh out of high school and know first-hand how sadistic teenagers can be, I'd have to say anyone who's gone through puberty can handle this without any psychological damage. It's more likely some younger kids will playfully imitate the show because of its dark appeal rather than be terrified by it. No new territory "24" hasn't covered with all the torture in that show.
Adult Written byslyscafe January 11, 2009

One of the best TV Drama's I have seen.

The show is absolutely flawless. The acting is superb (and quite convincing). The camera work is excellent. The content of the show is iffy, however. I would not let a 10 year old watch this show because they would not understand the plot, they would not understand the characters. Simply put: 10 year olds are too young to understand the show. There is a good amount of blood, sex (though body parts are rarely shown), and swearing in this show (especially from Deb, Dexter's sister). If I were a parent, I would say my kids would have to be about 16 or 17 to watch this show simply because I believe they'll be able to fully appreciate it.
Teen, 17 years old Written bywillzwire April 9, 2008

awesome

based on a book. usually that says enough for a show. but this series is amazing i just love it. it gets kinda mature at times with the whole killing and the free-flying language, and sexual content, but i got hooked and i cant get enough of it. for kids or teens, id say watch it with the 'rents. i do. and they like the show as much as i do. the parents may want to talk to their kids about why dexter kills people and it makes him look good, but who am i to tell parents how to raise their kids
Adult Written bysistergirl April 9, 2008

I was Completely Intrigued

This show pulled me in during the intro. It is creatively written and acted out. All of the characters were well developed. I was most fascinated by Dexter, such an unusual character, his life and the interesting twists to the stories. I couldn't wait for the next episode. Yes, it has a lot of violence, but for shear entertainment, this show offers the goods.