Bloody drama for adults only -- we mean it!

Teen, 13 years old Written byAnimeGirl-Nikki March 31, 2010
Rightfully rated TV-MA for graphic bloody violence, sexuality/nudity, and language. Though, it has a pretty interesting and complex plot, so it's sure to keep you guessing. Even though it's meant for adults, I think teens (like me) can watch it as long as it doesn't scare them.
Adult Written bysupakillaii December 28, 2009
Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written byRationale December 4, 2009

Intelligent adult show, that is fine for some teens.

This isn't for kids, period, but it's a very intelligent, dramatic, and well-acted show. I would think if a teenager isn't easily influenced by characters who swear or show violent acts, then this could present some well laid out ethical and social debates. I wouldn't let any child below 15 see this IMO. It's not kid, or preteen appropriate by any stretch of the imagination.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byMSK1982 November 25, 2009

Good for adults and teens 16+

As long as it is understood Dexter is NOT a role model/hero, this show is excellent entertainment.
Parent of a 14 year old Written byMr. Boxbox November 11, 2009
A bloody show, but the violence is rarely explicit and most of the time only suggested, although it shows very graphic afterviews of brutal murders and mutilations. The sex although not in every episode is very explicit. It's got lots of swearing too. Not a show for kids because of violent images, scenes, occasional explicit sex, partial nudity, and a liberal use of swearing, but teens should be fine.
Adult Written byExecutiveProducer August 20, 2009

Ends appropriate, means skewed.

One shouldn't (I hope) support the means that the title character pursues. However, the ends appear ultimately noble in nature... once the not-so-politically correct motives are adequately understood (which is the concern of this drama). Robin Hood "robbed the rich to aid the poor." Dexter dispatches strictly evil individuals out of an inherent need to extinguish, which, in the process, ultimately aids society. It's not revenge in the least, but a necessity for him to continue existing. He may perhaps be deemed a serial killer, but a "serial killer of serial killers," especially one that abides by a code of morality far more keen than ours, does not seem apt for condemnation.
Kid, 10 years old July 25, 2009

No kids Or teens

Poogey time? i think so
Kid, 10 years old June 26, 2009

NO KIDS. Absolutely not apropriate.

An excellent drama about Dexter whom has interesting adventures. By this, I mean I dont blink once every time I watch one! No kiddin'.
Adult Written byWildWestSamurai January 27, 2009

Definitely not for kids, but definitely a masterful series

Some people find it slow, others find it suspenseful. Some find it a dull analysis of the dark side of human nature, others find it a fascinating analysis. It's mostly a love-it-or-hate-it show, but it has enough of a unique concept (crime scene investigator whose hobby involves killing criminals, mainly murderers). Sort of like a sociopathic homicidal Batman without the costume. The show isn't meant to be an exact analysis of a sociopath, as Dexter does display plenty of symptoms that do not pertain to the common sociopath, but it is intriguing nonetheless. It can be awkward and slow in some parts, but the show does so with the same savoring skill Dexter uses when confronting his victims. Plenty of plot twists, if you're into that. Now, as for the maturity level... considering that I'm fresh out of high school and know first-hand how sadistic teenagers can be, I'd have to say anyone who's gone through puberty can handle this without any psychological damage. It's more likely some younger kids will playfully imitate the show because of its dark appeal rather than be terrified by it. No new territory "24" hasn't covered with all the torture in that show.
Adult Written byslyscafe January 11, 2009

One of the best TV Drama's I have seen.

The show is absolutely flawless. The acting is superb (and quite convincing). The camera work is excellent. The content of the show is iffy, however. I would not let a 10 year old watch this show because they would not understand the plot, they would not understand the characters. Simply put: 10 year olds are too young to understand the show. There is a good amount of blood, sex (though body parts are rarely shown), and swearing in this show (especially from Deb, Dexter's sister). If I were a parent, I would say my kids would have to be about 16 or 17 to watch this show simply because I believe they'll be able to fully appreciate it.
Teen, 17 years old Written bywillzwire April 9, 2008

awesome

based on a book. usually that says enough for a show. but this series is amazing i just love it. it gets kinda mature at times with the whole killing and the free-flying language, and sexual content, but i got hooked and i cant get enough of it. for kids or teens, id say watch it with the 'rents. i do. and they like the show as much as i do. the parents may want to talk to their kids about why dexter kills people and it makes him look good, but who am i to tell parents how to raise their kids
Adult Written bysistergirl April 9, 2008

I was Completely Intrigued

This show pulled me in during the intro. It is creatively written and acted out. All of the characters were well developed. I was most fascinated by Dexter, such an unusual character, his life and the interesting twists to the stories. I couldn't wait for the next episode. Yes, it has a lot of violence, but for shear entertainment, this show offers the goods.
Adult Written bykrystalhaze April 9, 2008

Intriguing Cable Series

First off, this is a great show for those who appreciate complex, interesting characters. To me, the characters and their journeys are what this show is truly about. Dexter, the closeted, vigilante serial killer who happens to also work for the Miami PD as a blood spatter analyst, is one of the most twisted yet likable characters on TV right now. (Never thought I'd actually root for a serial killer.) Second, there's a reason that this is a cable series. It does have a significant amount of violence, hard language and other adult content. I would not recommend this show for anyone under 17. Third, if you happen to have Showtime On Demand and haven't seen the series before, its worth going back and watching it from the first episode. (If not, the first season is on DVD a would be good rental for a rainy weekend.) The writers did a great job of slowly revealing the history of Dexter to compliment the main plot line within the first season. I had several, OMG moments while watching due to the creative twists. All in all, this is a great series for adults who aren't too squimish or easily offended and can appreciate thoughtful character development.

Great show.

This is what gore happy fans of Saw want:a show with wit,a message and a playful sense of humor through blood and killing.As much as I enjoy this show(I watch it,sue me)I cannot recommended it to any kid who doesn't have a strong stomach or can't handle naughty words.I'm going to be honest,I think this show is great. So,if you think you're kids,if they're 12 or older can handle this I say let them watch it once,if they don't like it,well problem solved.Great show.

Best show on television!

This is the greatest show ever! However I am not happy with how this show was reviewed by CS. They said he kills theifs and pedofiles when he only kills murderers.Plus they think that Hannible and American Psycho which are much more violent and demented. Overall its a great show watch it on shotime and CBS sunday @ 10/9c.