All member reviews for Digimon: Digital Monsters

Loud battles + toy tie-ins = OK, but not great.

Teen, 16 years old Written byspiderkilroy October 26, 2012

It is not a ripoff. Digimon came first.

Alright. I am reviewing this because im tired of people saying that Digimon is a ripoff of pokemon. Digimon came out 3 years before pokemon in japan. it was only released in america after pokemon. stop calling it a ripoff!
Parent Written byAngelistic-101 March 3, 2014

Digimon, Digital Monsters! Digimon are the champions!

Woww, where do I even begin? I want to try and make this short, but I can't guarantee anything. Well for starters, Digimon is one of the best anime I have ever seen in my life. I grew up with it and have re-watched it multiple times over the years. Every time I watch Digimon, I remember just how amazing a series it is. This anime series has a lot of positive messages, and the characters learn a lot while in the "Digital World". In a world where human children befriend cute, adorable digital monsters, Digimon teaches the importance of teamwork and friendship, as well as believing in yourself and never giving up. Digimon is not your typical anime, it is full of surprises and awesome adventures! There is quite a lot of fighting and violence, but it's all for a good cause. I'm pretty sure a ten year old would be able to differentiate between fantasy and reality. The human characters learn a lot from their digital partners, and they each form a special bond with their Digimon. Loyalty, friendship, love, teamwork, courage, optimism, leadership and especially hope. Digimon is truly an amazing series that I feel will teach any young child, 10 and up very important life lessons that they will carry for the rest of their life. They don't make shows like they used to, so having your child watch Digimon would be the greatest gift you could ever give them.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byChris G June 2, 2016

An actual review.

The show or I should say shows are cut up into several different seasons I'll try to cover what I know of the two seasons that I saw with my younger step-brother and son. The first season had a large cast of good characters (at least when compared to other kids shows) most of the characters had their own character arks that you don't see in most shows. For example two kids are brothers, (Matt and T.K)but their parents where divorced, and the two brothers where split up. I have to say that the show has next to nothing in similar to Pokemon as many people are all to willing to say. It does get a little violent, but nothing worse than some older Disney movies. I honestly have to say it's probably one of the better kids shows. The next one was called tamers. A bit more on the realistic side I would say it's better for kids 9+ or 10+ an even better show than the first one, with all new characters. The characters of this season like the others have their own character arks. For the main girl of the season had trust issues do to her dad being a no show and her mother always being to busy to be with her. She starts off cold and distant, but by the end was far nicer and able to except people. This season is far darker, but not in a bad way. I think kids can use a bit of a mature show that shows that there are consequences for your actions, but with friends and hard work you can overcome anything. And finally there isn't a lot of trying to sell stuff to kids, at least when compared to other kids shows. I'm giving this show a 5/5 for all the poorly made reviews that gave no reason for their 1/5. Honestly this is a 4/5.
Teen, 16 years old Written byUnderoathfan777 October 17, 2012

Not for kids at all.

In the japanese version,one of the characters [Zoe] shows her lower chest and underwear briefly.Only watch the american version.
Adult Written byZacharywthen97 February 27, 2016

My two cents

I've been reading everything everyone's been saying. First, It is NOT a rip off of Pokemon, even though it came out one year later (I'm not sure about Japan). Digimon is based off of V-pets, while Pokemon is a Nintendo video game franchise. Second, I noticed the thing about the terrorist bombing. In the show, everyone thought it was a terrorist bombing because no one could explain what was happening and no culprits were found. It later is revealed that digimon somehow leaked into the real world and caused the destruction, but only the kids could see them. As for the inappropriateness in season one, there isn't any. So many of the kids and teens are saying the show is a rip-off because they are for the most part biased. They weren't around at the time so they don't have any clue as to what happened, but you can pick up more details on Wikipedia.
Kid, 11 years old May 1, 2011

Amazing, if you can keep track of the whole and avoid Frontier and Data Squad

The first 3 seasons are amazing, after that it's as 'bout as good as Pokemon. The third season (Tamers) is where it gets violent. With one of trash-can-dump things leaving the digital world with the kids. I see you've complained about its lack of continuity, but it has a lot more than episodic shows like say Pokemon, or Spongebob. Digimon just is rebooted every season except for season 2, which on from season 1 with a whole new set of Digidestined. Season 3 takes place in a universe where the first 2 seasons were a popular TV show. You need to watch earlier episodes or it doesn't make sense because there is a very strong continuity so have to see it in order. Well season 2 lets the Digidestined travel between worlds all the time (because the gate between the worlds is in one of the computers in the computer lab). Season 3 (Tamers from now on) because it is set in another universe, has tamers instead, hence the title Tamers. Of all the continuitys (I don't know the plural for that word) there are only 3 people who fight for fun, everyone else fights for survival, hence it has much better morals then Pokemon. I will now tell you the 3 people who fight for fun; Ken (A.K.A. The Digimon Emperor) from season 2 , but he thought it was just a video game, so he's kinda excused, then we have have Rika (A.K.A. The Digimon Queen) from Tamers, who knew that it was real, but thought digimon have to fight, and here is the third and final of this list, Renamon (Rika's partner in Tamers) maybe fought for more than for fun, she did say that a soda that Takuto gave her was first gift. I should probably put the names of the main heros in each of the 3 first seasons; the first 8 Digidestined: Tai, Matt, Joe, T.K., Sora, Mimi, and Kari, now for the 4 new Digidestined (Kari, and T.K. stayed Digidestined) Yoilei, Cody, Davis, and Ken, ( yeah they forgave him, they give good messages like that), now for the 4 Tamers, from Tamers, Takuto, Henry, Rika and Ryo. Season 1 has the kids stuck the Digiworld, I already told you about 2, but Tamers is kinda weird in that the digimon are on earth for most of it, but they can't travel between worlds. There are 5 seasons in all, 4 is called Frontier, and 5 is Data Squad, but I ignore them because make no sense with the games that go with them, thus the product placement part, something, that I normally wouldn't mind, but not only is there notable product placement but you to import them from Japan because they make no sense without them and got released out of Japan. If I was going to count those anymore then I did just now, I would take some stars away, and stick educational on because to understand it, you'd need to learn Japanese. Tamers seems to have tacked on a follow your dreams thing, even without taking the original Japanese theme song into account. After all, Takuto created Guilmon with his drawing, and the first 2 seasons had the Crests, Tags, and Eggs, used to digivolve the partner digimon using virtues taken from the Digidestined, like Hope, Kindness, Love, Curiosity, and Courage. Tamers has some of the kids protecting their digimon from a secret branch of the Japanese Government: ENIAC. Here random info you might want to have before letting little kids watch it; Some of the scenes are pretty intense, though the average 7year-old should be able to handle it. Like the Bug-house episode, or anytime SkullWarGreymon or the D-Reaper shows up. But some things are just plain scary, like the J-Reaper agent, or Piedmon turning just about everyone into keychains. But there is a lot of cute too! Just about anything with Calumon is cute sweet and fluffy. Or when Guilmon eats bread. This show can funny too! If a scene has Davis and it's not a fight scene it'll probably be funny, or when Guilmon and Calumon made a bunch lines on the soccer field. So I guess this show has a good balance of all good things a show needs, but the last episodes always bring up tears. The end of Season 1 ends with the Digidestined leaving their partners, if you season 2 you know that they meet up again but they don't know that. At the end of season 2 the Digidestined and the digimon stay together, but a man that always wanted to see the Digiworld dies just before he get in, and the end of Tamers makes everyone cry, seeing Kokomon, Gummimon, Gigimon, and Viximon all have to go the digital world because as baby-level digimon they aren't strong to enough to stay on Earth, and Guilmon had never been a baby-level digimon before, and Earth was only home he ever had, Degenerating into Gigimon and then leaving Takuto forever would really hard for him. People are saying this is a knockoff of Pokemon, but no it's attempt to sell Tamogotchi to boys. By they way, Pokemon can't go backwards, and there aren't any mouse digimon, last time I checked. Between the games, the mangas, the movies, the audio dramas, and the anime, there's at least 24 different canons. And the v-pet backstories. Games are mostly one-offs. If you keep track of the canon (one per season, game, manga series, and half line of v-pets, (some of the movies and audio dramas are in the same canon as some of the anime), except for seasons 1 and 2 of a the anime) It has great story line.
Adult Written byjp523 September 26, 2010

An overlooked gem for a forgotten demographic

While its current incarnations have been slowly jumping the shark, the old Digimon seasons remain an example of how shows for children should be made, it was never terribly vulgar, the parents where figures that offered support to their children, not just obstacles to their fun, and it handled a few of the harder issues a child might face without actually getting too depressing or dark. Yes, the show was meant to sell toys and cards, but so did many historical American shows like transformers (nostalgia kinda blinds most of us with this one), but not all of those shows where given a heart. Also, the battles where only a small portion of each episode, and the character relationships where the obvious focus. This meant that the show treated violence as an evil act generally, rather than a form of fun, and allowed for strong moral lessons through the characters, ranging in subject matter from self confidence and bravery, to being caring about others and putting parental issues in perspective, while never being too blunt or preachy. Also, two final notes, the last star off is due to the elements of decline in later seasons, and the shoestring budget. Also, i would like to address one of the reasons i think the series did so well. A limited run. This allowed a definite start and end, meaning that characters where allowed to grow freely, rather than being expected to continue into another season. While this may not allow children the continuity of other shows, it gives the show more freedom to present a good plot, which should always be the priority.
Kid, 11 years old June 23, 2015

RIP OFF

People, Digimon is a rip off of Pokemon. Whoever says it isn't lies. Pokemon is awesome, while Digimon sucks. Don't watch, no matter what your age is. Yours, Goatworlds.
Teen, 15 years old Written byTeenGeek May 10, 2015

For me, better than Pokemon

This was my favorite show as a kid, and I still sometimes watch it today. I've always liked it better than Pokemon, which felt a bit too shallow. Digimon has a great plot, some really good (and scary) villains, and overall felt less childish than Pokemon. The kids should have no problem with it, as most fights are fought by Digimon, rather than humans. Also, no-one ever gets hurt, and when Digimon 'die', they are reborn later. If your kid is a little older, you might want to try watching the japanese version. It's a million times better than the dub, the music making the biggest difference.
Kid, 12 years old November 3, 2009

Good for children

Good for yong anime fans!
Teen, 13 years old Written byKhaoticKing October 24, 2009

Basicly Pokemon!?

Its a rip from Pokemon but i still like it
Teen, 13 years old Written byyankee01 April 9, 2008

where have the old days gone?

i used to love this show when i was little,butnow it is all dumbed down and kinda so-so.thats why i am gonna give it 2 stars
Parent of a 1 and 5 year old Written byBarneyTheDinoRocks January 5, 2017

So much better than Pokemon!

It's a well-written show with great games, funny humor, cool looking mons, and Pokemon ripped off this show. In all, best video game franchise ever!
Teen, 13 years old Written byBookistic December 23, 2016

Awesome show, in my opinion

First of all, you're going to need a better reason than "it'll promote the products." Honestly, A LOT of shows "promote" their products. And is that really much of a bad thing? If your kid is playing with cards and toys isn't that slightly better than them staying stuck on their screens all day? I'd say it is. The Digimon franchise currently has 6 anime shows, which are Digimon Adventure, Digimon Adventures 2, Digimon Tamers, Digimon Frontier, Digimon Data Squad, and Digimon Fusion (the titles may be different in the Japanese versions). The first Digimon Adventure show focuses on 7 children, in the beginning, who all end up with a Digimon partner. Along the way, the kids' bonds with their partners strengthen, causing them to gain new abilities and to become stronger. They also become better friends with each other. The second Digimon Adventure show centers around 5 kids, and later on there is a sixth. This one is pretty similar to the first, and could be seen as a continuation. Digimon Tamers is when the plots start to change and it also starts to get more dark and violent. The show mainly centers around 3 kids, who, once again, each have a Digimon partner. The fights in the third start to get a little more dark and when the kids Bio-merge with their partners, they DO lose their clothes which could make some kids feel uncomfortable. Putting that aside, Tamers could give kids positive messages about friendship and teamwork and even forgiveness. Frontier is when the kids gain the ability to become Digimon themselves. This one could definitly teach kids about the importance of friendship and never giving up. Data Squad would have to be my least favorite, considering the fact that the focus character tends to like solving problems with his "fists" but it still does teach kids about the importance of friendship and, in a way, strategy. Fusion is where things get more, so to speak, complicated. The first two parts of Fusion fpcus mainly on one character, marking it as the first one to have the main role's friends mostly be for moral support. The second part, though, focuses on three characters which all (kind of) have Digimon partners. I feel as if this one definitly has its flaws, but it still has some positive messages. The third part of Fusion is when things, in my opinion, actually start to seem more like Pokemon, although it still is pretty enjoyable.
Kid, 10 years old November 14, 2016

This is just stupid and it's a copy of Pokemon!

I wanted to rate this two and a half stars out of five stars but you can't do that. This is such a copy of Pokémon so obviously it's going to be stupidly dumb. Don't watch this. Don't let your kids watch it even though it's appropriate. It's just dumbly stupid.
Adult Written byvalentinD August 20, 2016

like the pokemon, I love the digimon

the digimon are the champions for the kids yeah !!!!!
Adult Written byAlyssa L. July 29, 2016

Excellent.

I'm very disappointed at the lack of decent reviews for this title. Unlike the name suggests, Digimon Digital Monsters is NOT at all similar to Pokemon, only in their titles, and through the idea of monster/human relationships. I actually find it surprising that people would even compare the two. Digimon is an excellent, smart, and well-written television series about a group of Chosen Children destined to save the Digital World as well as their own, through battling evil. Yes, there is violence in the show, however, the violence is for survival and nothing more. The show often touches on the issue of fighting or not, with several characters being pacifists and preferring the no-fighting angle. The series also discusses complex ideas about friendship, working together, sacrafice, and fighting for the greater good. The show's inner complex relationships between the characters are also touched on which include topics on friendship, love (not romantic), divorce, adoption, sibling relationships, and the unspeakable bond between humans and Digimon. The show features the children learning about themselves and the true meaning of love through their deep bonds with their Digimon partners. It also discusses positive parental relationships with children, and emphasizes support and love between both the children and the parents. Storyline-wise, the show is enjoyable for both children and parents. The show features plenty of puns, interesting concepts, and a change of cast every season. In my personal opinion, the cast of seasons 1 & 3 are the best. Many of the characters are great role models that make mistakes, deal with the consequences, and learn by improving themselves as people. Some villians are even redeemed in the series (but not all of them). Some villians may appear frightening to young children, but as a person who has been watching this since 6 years old, I never found them scary. The darkest season is season 3, but not in a bad way. The show seems to mature a bit with its audience, as characters from the original series are older in season 2 (the season may feature a new cast, but the old characters are definitely around a lot more), and Tamers (season 3), shows a different idea around the Digital World by using a card game (emphasizing that Digimon have been around awhile), and by introducing storylines for older children who are presumably fans of the show. While consumerism is involved in the show (mainly just in season 3), reruns have been playing on cartoon channels for years, and I have never seen any Digimon toys or media on the shelves. The anime stands solidly on its own, with a majority of consumerist items (trading cards, games, toys, etc.) hardly being sold anymore at all. Many people actually prefer the show over any games or marketing tools. This series is highly recommended, as I have been enjoying it for years on end; and teaches valuable lessons for children, all while being extremely enjoyable.
Adult Written bymitsukik July 4, 2016

Seasons 1 and 3 are perhaps the greatest children's anime ever made

This review will only be of Digimon Adventure (season 1) and Digimon Tamers (season 3). First off, Digimon Adventure. I know, I know, it looks like a Pokemon ripoff, but trust me when I say it goes beyond. Mamoru Hosoda, the director of the critically acclaimed Wolf Children, got his start with Digimon Adventure. That's how you know it's good. The human characters, unlike every other "mon" show, are nuanced. They all have backstories and personal problems they have to deal with along the way. Things like divorced parents, taking care of younger siblings, being adopted, all things kids can relate to... And the show deals with these problems in a surprisingly mature way. This is what sets it apart from the cartoony, one dimension (though still entertaining) characters and formulaic episodes in Pokemon and its ilk. And unlike a lot of kids anime, it doesn't do that whole "smurfette" bullhonky, either. Girls (like I did) will love Digimon, because once Kari enters the cast, the girl to boy ratio is pretty even, and there are multiple female characters girls can relate to that go beyond shallow stereotypes (although Mimi unfortunately is reduced to a shallow ditzy girly girl stereotype in the dub, which is not true in the Japanese version). The show is empowering to children in general, because it's not just a game, the fate of the world is in the hands of kids, using the skills THEY know. This show resonated with kids so much, that recently they made a series of new movies aimed at the fans who grew up with it, Digimon Adventure Tri, for the anniversary. This movies are available on Crunchyroll subtitled, and will soon be dubbed. These movies star the characters in their high school years, and is aimed at an older audience, but still deals with themes about growing up, but it's more things teenagers can relate to. In addition to the subs being off-putting to younger kids (edit: the first episode was dubbed), there's some mild sexual content (sauna scenes and the like) that aren't really suitable for the kid audience, it's more 11+. Tamers, season 3, on the other hand... I would say it's for ages 10 and up. It's a much darker, subversive take on the Digital Monsters formula. A lot of people have called it a "deconstruction" of the battling monsters genre. Hosoda was not involved, but Chiaki J. Konaka, of Serial Experiments Lain instead headed the series, giving it a more moody, psychological atmosphere. Digimon Tamers was critically acclaimed, but did poorly in merchandise sales, because while adults and teens praised the more serious tone, the intended target audience of children were too confused or scared and thus didn't want to buy the toys. A lot of the themes present in this season subvert everything stated as fact in Digimon Advenure and its sequel. Unlike the bright and colorful Digimon Adventure, in Tamers, when Digimon die, that's it, they're dead. One of the main characters going through the stages of grief after her Digimon partner is killed is a major plot point. And yet, there's also a redemption arc for the very villain that killed her Digimon, and in the end, despite how bleak things are, everything still works out. Antoher thing that sets it apart is that it's not just the humans, but also the Digimon themselves that go through character development, more so than the ones in Adventure. This one definitely skews a bit older than Adventure. Chiaka J. Konaka also being a Cthulhu mythos writer, there's a lot of scary scenes. As in, enough to scare adults. There's are scenes where a girl is imprisoned by a giant, amorphous monster that feeds on her grief, and psychologically tortured, while being kept alive, and she even attempts suicide. It's also more violent than Adventure, most notably, a Digimon is impaled straight through the chest. There's no blood, just data, but it's still very gruesome. It's definitely more for ages 10 and up. Now a brief overview of the other seasons... Season 2, Digimon Adventure 02 is kind of mediocre, though the redemption arc of one the major villains and their motivations are interesting. Season 4, Digimon Frontier, is radically different from its predecessors in that the humans transform into the Digimon, and it's a lot more lighthearted than previous seasons, and kind of mediocre overall. Digimon Data Squad I have not watched, but I heard is dark and more for older kids, similar to Tamers.. Digimon Fusion/Xros Wars I have not seen much of, but it has a lot of throwbacks aimed at people who grew up watching previous seasons. I will also say that, as someone with Asperger's syndrome who grew up with this show and still loves it, kids on the autism spectrum will probably love Digimon. Memorizing all of the different forms, types, alignments and attacks of the Digimon is prime special interest material!
Kid, 12 years old September 12, 2015

Digimon is fine

Ok, so Digimon is an anime that has its own toys, tcg and its own world. So sure, it's going to promote those toys. But that doesn't mean anyone shouldn't watch it, you'd need a better reason than that, if you would have asked me. Digimon is a bit like pokemon, in small ways, even they're names are similar (digimon =digital monsters , pokemon = pocket monsters). But they have huge differences as well. One big example is that digimon isn't afraid of using 'bathroom references', as in the need for the toilet. Whereas, pokemon doesn't even show traces of a bathroom, anywhere. This is mostly down to the fact of culture, and bathroom being a sign of uncleanliness, and not wanting pokemon characters to seem unclean or dirty. This is just one difference, probally one of the more negative ones, maybe. However, Digimon is still fine for children, don't assume that its inappropriate just because of one little thing thats already going to be part of a child's live anyway. Although if any parent does not want their children to watch digimon because of this reason, then fine, It is not up to me. I've actually watched digimon, although I personally prefer pokemon. I've put some research into my reveiw as well, so most facts should be true. Hope this helped in some way or another.
Teen, 13 years old Written byIsaac T March 11, 2015

Series plagiarized from Pokémon.

This series is OK, but technically it's based on Pokémon. The characters are different and their "Pokémon" look different and sometimes change their appearance to battle mode. Same storyline, same concept.