All member reviews for Digimon: Digital Monsters

Kid, 11 years old May 1, 2011

Amazing, if you can keep track of the whole and avoid Frontier and Data Squad

The first 3 seasons are amazing, after that it's as 'bout as good as Pokemon. The third season (Tamers) is where it gets violent. With one of trash-can-dump things leaving the digital world with the kids. I see you've complained about its lack of continuity, but it has a lot more than episodic shows like say Pokemon, or Spongebob. Digimon just is rebooted every season except for season 2, which on from season 1 with a whole new set of Digidestined. Season 3 takes place in a universe where the first 2 seasons were a popular TV show. You need to watch earlier episodes or it doesn't make sense because there is a very strong continuity so have to see it in order. Well season 2 lets the Digidestined travel between worlds all the time (because the gate between the worlds is in one of the computers in the computer lab). Season 3 (Tamers from now on) because it is set in another universe, has tamers instead, hence the title Tamers. Of all the continuitys (I don't know the plural for that word) there are only 3 people who fight for fun, everyone else fights for survival, hence it has much better morals then Pokemon. I will now tell you the 3 people who fight for fun; Ken (A.K.A. The Digimon Emperor) from season 2 , but he thought it was just a video game, so he's kinda excused, then we have have Rika (A.K.A. The Digimon Queen) from Tamers, who knew that it was real, but thought digimon have to fight, and here is the third and final of this list, Renamon (Rika's partner in Tamers) maybe fought for more than for fun, she did say that a soda that Takuto gave her was first gift. I should probably put the names of the main heros in each of the 3 first seasons; the first 8 Digidestined: Tai, Matt, Joe, T.K., Sora, Mimi, and Kari, now for the 4 new Digidestined (Kari, and T.K. stayed Digidestined) Yoilei, Cody, Davis, and Ken, ( yeah they forgave him, they give good messages like that), now for the 4 Tamers, from Tamers, Takuto, Henry, Rika and Ryo. Season 1 has the kids stuck the Digiworld, I already told you about 2, but Tamers is kinda weird in that the digimon are on earth for most of it, but they can't travel between worlds. There are 5 seasons in all, 4 is called Frontier, and 5 is Data Squad, but I ignore them because make no sense with the games that go with them, thus the product placement part, something, that I normally wouldn't mind, but not only is there notable product placement but you to import them from Japan because they make no sense without them and got released out of Japan. If I was going to count those anymore then I did just now, I would take some stars away, and stick educational on because to understand it, you'd need to learn Japanese. Tamers seems to have tacked on a follow your dreams thing, even without taking the original Japanese theme song into account. After all, Takuto created Guilmon with his drawing, and the first 2 seasons had the Crests, Tags, and Eggs, used to digivolve the partner digimon using virtues taken from the Digidestined, like Hope, Kindness, Love, Curiosity, and Courage. Tamers has some of the kids protecting their digimon from a secret branch of the Japanese Government: ENIAC. Here random info you might want to have before letting little kids watch it; Some of the scenes are pretty intense, though the average 7year-old should be able to handle it. Like the Bug-house episode, or anytime SkullWarGreymon or the D-Reaper shows up. But some things are just plain scary, like the J-Reaper agent, or Piedmon turning just about everyone into keychains. But there is a lot of cute too! Just about anything with Calumon is cute sweet and fluffy. Or when Guilmon eats bread. This show can funny too! If a scene has Davis and it's not a fight scene it'll probably be funny, or when Guilmon and Calumon made a bunch lines on the soccer field. So I guess this show has a good balance of all good things a show needs, but the last episodes always bring up tears. The end of Season 1 ends with the Digidestined leaving their partners, if you season 2 you know that they meet up again but they don't know that. At the end of season 2 the Digidestined and the digimon stay together, but a man that always wanted to see the Digiworld dies just before he get in, and the end of Tamers makes everyone cry, seeing Kokomon, Gummimon, Gigimon, and Viximon all have to go the digital world because as baby-level digimon they aren't strong to enough to stay on Earth, and Guilmon had never been a baby-level digimon before, and Earth was only home he ever had, Degenerating into Gigimon and then leaving Takuto forever would really hard for him. People are saying this is a knockoff of Pokemon, but no it's attempt to sell Tamogotchi to boys. By they way, Pokemon can't go backwards, and there aren't any mouse digimon, last time I checked. Between the games, the mangas, the movies, the audio dramas, and the anime, there's at least 24 different canons. And the v-pet backstories. Games are mostly one-offs. If you keep track of the canon (one per season, game, manga series, and half line of v-pets, (some of the movies and audio dramas are in the same canon as some of the anime), except for seasons 1 and 2 of a the anime) It has great story line.
Kid, 11 years old June 23, 2015

RIP OFF

People, Digimon is a rip off of Pokemon. Whoever says it isn't lies. Pokemon is awesome, while Digimon sucks. Don't watch, no matter what your age is.
Teen, 15 years old Written byTeenGeek May 10, 2015

For me, better than Pokemon

This was my favorite show as a kid, and I still sometimes watch it today. I've always liked it better than Pokemon, which felt a bit too shallow. Digimon has a great plot, some really good (and scary) villains, and overall felt less childish than Pokemon. The kids should have no problem with it, as most fights are fought by Digimon, rather than humans. Also, no-one ever gets hurt, and when Digimon 'die', they are reborn later. If your kid is a little older, you might want to try watching the japanese version. It's a million times better than the dub, the music making the biggest difference.
Teen, 13 years old Written byIsaac T March 11, 2015

Series plagiarized from Pokémon.

This series is OK, but technically it's based on Pokémon. The characters are different and their "Pokémon" look different and sometimes change their appearance to battle mode. Same storyline, same concept.
Teen, 14 years old Written byHainesama123 June 26, 2013

Japanese Version ages 13+, English Version 7+

I am going to review the Japanese Version of Digimon first, The Music was terrific, escpecially butterfly, the theme song.The plot was very good too and the characters are really likeable,especially Taichi Yagami. The english version was ok but there are translation issues escpecially in the part where Tai introduces the characters and later forgets T.K(Takeru)'s name. The reason why I recomend the Japanese version for anyone 13 or older because there is a bath scene and there is some romance between Taichi and Sora. Overall, I recomend this for anyone who is not a pokemon fan.
Teen, 16 years old Written byspiderkilroy October 26, 2012

It is not a ripoff. Digimon came first.

Alright. I am reviewing this because im tired of people saying that Digimon is a ripoff of pokemon. Digimon came out 3 years before pokemon in japan. it was only released in america after pokemon. stop calling it a ripoff!
Teen, 16 years old Written byUnderoathfan777 October 17, 2012

Not for kids at all.

In the japanese version,one of the characters [Zoe] shows her lower chest and underwear briefly.Only watch the american version.
Kid, 10 years old May 18, 2010

6/10

1 problem THE SHOW IS A RIP OFF!!!!!!!! so get ur own ideas but overall it is a decent show but the fact that its to close to pikachu this show cant pass 6
Kid, 10 years old March 11, 2010

Good for all

Well, I like Digimon more than I'll ever like Pokemon. Pokemon can get too over whelming with the spiritual/demon stuff going on but Digimon is just digital. Normally, the only anime I'll ever watch is Avatar the last airbender but I love this show too.
Kid, 12 years old November 3, 2009

Good for children

Good for yong anime fans!
Teen, 13 years old Written byKhaoticKing October 24, 2009

Basicly Pokemon!?

Its a rip from Pokemon but i still like it
Teen, 14 years old Written bymkalv February 5, 2009

Better than Pokemon.

Digimon is everything Pokemon is not. Better plot, more drama and character foil, cooler monsters, not as kiddish, and so on. I luv it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byyankee01 April 9, 2008

where have the old days gone?

i used to love this show when i was little,butnow it is all dumbed down and kinda so-so.thats why i am gonna give it 2 stars

Bad animation.

I don't like it. My sister does.