All member reviews for Dinosaur Train

Young dino's travels teach kids about science and diversity.

Parent of a 2, 4, and 4 year old Written byCourtneyB January 19, 2010

Don't like the evolution tid bits thrown in after each section.
Parent Written byStayatHomeDad June 10, 2011

What happened to "All GODS creatures"/

I love this show and so does my 8month old, as soon as he hears the opening song he turns towards the TV and starts bouncing. However, I noticed this morning that the mother does not say "We are all GODS creatures" in the opening song. That bothers me VERY much.
Teen, 16 years old Written bySuperSonicSteve896 April 23, 2013

Stupidest show on PBS Kids.

I can't stand a single moment of this show. It is so annoying. Also, it dosen't teach you much. They just take a stupid plot and call it "educational value". Thats what makes this show so dumb and lame. This show also ruined PBS Kids. They got rid of their good shows and put on crappy shows. The good ol' days of Fetch and the classic era of Sesame Street are gone. That is just sad. Thanks for ruining PBS Kids Buddy & Tiny.
Parent Written bySalanaland March 1, 2012

All the dino info nobody knew when you were a kid, plus manners and social skills too!

Dinosaur Train has an excellent scientific backing with the most up to date information about dinosaurs. It also does a great job of teaching scientific literacy, both in general ("I have a hypothesis!" is Buddy's tagline, followed by Tiny explaining, "That's an idea you can test") and dinosaur-specific ("You have three toes, so you're a therapod like me"). All little kids should watch this show--it's a great counterbalance to the scientific illiteracy being promoted by certain institutions in the US today. Not only is the science component incredibly strong, it also contains lots of great lessons on social and emotional skills as well as problem solving. (This is especially appreciated as I have [and was] a kid who tends to become obsessive about interests, and is lacking in social skills.) Social problems--like jealousy over a new friend being better than you at your best skill--are handled deftly, and every encounter with a new dinosaur ends with a new friendship being formed and a lesson being learned. For example, Tiny Pteranodon is jealous when they meet Mikey Microraptor, who is even smaller than Tiny and has four wings where she has two. He can get into smaller places and retrieve things, which she has taken special pride in. She is jealous of him, despite his obvious admiration of her. Mrs. Pteranodon even explains to her that he's imitating everything she says because he thinks she's so awesome (partially because she can fly much better than he can--excellent science, of course.) But when the Dinosaur Train is stopped by a nut wedged in the exhaust pipe, Tiny and Mikey work together to get the nut out and save the day, and then sing a song about Tiny-and-Mikey Power. Everyone can learn from that situation, and it's not just a bland plotline like you'd expect from a kid's show. Dinosaur Train is also interesting for parents. There's no objectionable content, but parents will recognize allusions like "Confuciusornis Says", and more dino-savvy parents will be amused at Arlene Archaeopteryx's German accent (the first Archaeopteryx was found in Germany). Also, nobody even knew half these dinosaurs when we were kids, so it's quite educational. Plus, feathered dinosaurs are awesome, especially Microraptor. Seriously, FOUR WINGS.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJack'sRants'N'More May 27, 2013

Jack Rambles: Dinosaur Train.

I don't understand why they are making DVDs and other merchandise. This is the crappiest show on PBS Kids. The plot is just messed up. A bunch of dinosaurs traveling through time on a train. What kind of a plot is that? Someone tell me! Tell me! Tell me why the plot is so pathetic and lame? The characters are so dumb it's not even funny. It is annoying and gay. What else? The horrendous CGI. The CGI is choppy, there isn't much appealing colors on the show, and the characters look so ugly. Honestly, the characters is so ugly, they make me want to puke. They talk WAY too much on this show. Why won't the characters shut up for once on this rotting pile of s**t. This show is soooooooo boring as well. Everytime I watch this show, I feel like i'm waiting in a long line at the amusment park! I'm not joking. This show is super boring and just flat-out dull. Everytime my little brother changes the channel to this crap when i'm watching a good show (such as SpongeBob, T.U.F.F. Puppy, or MLP:FiM), I feel like i'm going to fall asleep. All they do is talk about dinosaurs on this show. Blah, blah, blah. I don't give a crap. Hard to believe this was made by Craig Bartlett. He is the guy who made Hey Arnold, and HA was an awesome cartoon. It's a shame he took it off the air. To make things worse, he made Dinosaur Train. which is just boring, annoying, and moronic crap. This show is getting so much merchandise and DVDs it's really getting out of hand. I hope PBS Kids will cancel this show, stop making merchandise, and stop making DVDs. I know there are people who like the show, but I HATE this show so much. So respect my opinion.
Parent Written byWisconsinvisitor June 14, 2012

Insightful and vigilant

My daughter (age 2) likes this show and every time it comes on she begins singing the song animatedly. I feel that the show is very entertaining and educational but I have begun to notice a subtle effort to try to teach kids about shying away from "superstitious" beliefs, such as in the episode about the draught and dancing for rain. Is this an effort to try to persuade children away from religion and religious beliefs? I have also noticed the portion about Dr. Scott the paleontologist talking more and more about millions of years and evolution education then it was earlier in the shows history. Initially the show treated this subject matter with great censorship to avoid disenchanting many conservative Christian parents, but now it is outright flagrant, unsympathetic, and unapologetic. This type of trend caused me to try to find other shows that my daughter likes that won't try to propagandize her or compromise her mind set from the truth. However, for its other educational value I do think that it is a good show. I have seen many attempts to teach chikldren about sharing, cooperation and teamwork, science and classification, basic physics, and even some arithmetic. As Always the devil is in the details.
Teen, 14 years old Written byAwesome_O October 10, 2010

Out. Of. Your. Minds.

Has anyone seen the episode 'Dinosaur Poop!' out of the reviewers? That episode would get this rating, however I'd say other episodes are okay but boring for kids over 5.
Kid, 10 years old January 3, 2014

Go Dino

Very good role models. Great for preschool and up. But the slightly scary concept, and words like "herbivore" are not going to be grasped by young toddlers. And one episode had a conversation that pushed the TV-Y limit about gender.
Teen, 17 years old Written byILoveTacoBell September 16, 2013

Please tell me your joking.

Boo. This show sucks. It's too boring and the songs are annoying. I hate the acting and the CGI as well. This is not a show, it's a piece of crap.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBobbaFett3113 September 6, 2012

Wonderful Show

This is a good educational show for the younger children, but everyone will be engaged by it. it tells a lot about the dinosaurs of different times, but not so it will be confusing. I don't know what other reveiwers are talking about when they bash this show. it's for kids, not teenagers so don't call it boring.
Teen, 16 years old Written byJoseph Rock February 29, 2012

Worst PBS Kids show ever.

This show is super lame & boring.The characters and voice acting are ANNOYING! I really hate the animation in this show as well.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byKick_Kiki April 1, 2011

Content more for kindergarden age...

The show is educational when it comes to content on the "dinosaur-era" and such. What I like are the excerpts after each segment with the palentologist explaining a few key things about the dinosaur or plant highlighted in the episode. It may be a bit much to take in for those younger than kindergarden age content-wise, but the style of animation and characters seem geared more towards the preschool and younger age. My son is 3 and loves the show for the dinosaurs, their games and of course the train. He seems to enjoy learning the different names of the dinosaurs, but I'm not sure he thoroughly understands all the details and such. On the "dinosaur poop" epsiode, we have yet to come across that one ourselves, but I have a bit of an idea of what it may be about and I'm wondering why anyone would be seriously freaking out about it. Some people worry about an episode as such, but not about reading a book about little kids going potty or explaining to their child about "poop" when it comes to potty training. It's all a part of life people.
Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written byStylinworkinmon March 17, 2011

My whole family loves this show!

My 4 yr old son has been watching this show for over a year. They teach such great scientific concepts in a language preschoolers can understand. I have a 1 1/2 year old girl who loves the music in the opening scene. Some of the shows have dancing/singing segments that she watches. I sit down and am captivated by the material and have learned new things!
Kid, 9 years old July 28, 2010

children under 4 are scared of dinosaurs

OOOOOOOOOOOOOH OOOOOOOOH OOOOH OH OH OH oH oh this is innaproppraite for the older kids for ages 4-6 it is ranked on my top 5 worst shows in the universe as #4 #5 dora the explorer #3 specail agent oso #2 sesame street #1 barney and friends
Parent of a 2 year old Written byjacksmom16 January 8, 2010

I LOVE THIS SHOW... as does my 2 yr old son. I hope they make some DVDs/ toys soon!!!
Parent Written byforthelongrun027 January 5, 2015

Entertaining learning opportunities abound on the Dinosaur Traaaaain!

I love this show so much. The cartoony part teaches about diversity, social skills, and some science, then Dr Scott the palaeontologist comes in and lays down the real scientific knowledge. "All dinosaurs have different features" has become our family shorthand for helping to explain all sorts of differences between people that our young son is likely to observe and ask about.
Adult Written bySamanthamaster1 November 20, 2014

This is one of the most educational cartoons out there now-a-days!

Dinosaur Train is very educational, because, they teach everyone about dinosaurs, which ones are carnivores, omnivores, herbivores, which ones lived in each different time period of the mesozoic era including the triassic, jurassic, and, cretaceous, and, they compare dinosaurs/animals from the mesozoic time period to modern animals. I also enjoy the fun songs they sing. This show offers the best of both worlds, educational and entertaining. I recommend school-aged/college children should watch this show as well, because, they don't teach evolution in school anymore. I learned a lot from watching this show and this show inspired me to have an interest in dinosaurs. This show has educated, inspired, and, entertained me in the last five years. I've been watching it since it came out on Monday September 7, 2009, I was 15 (one day before my 16th birthday), I was watching it then and I still watch it now. Another thing I enjoy about the show is they have a paleontologist talk in between segments of the show talking about dinosaurs/animals, I think that part is the most educational. I recommend this cartoon, because, your child will be both educated and entertained at the same time, that's really hard to find in a lot of cartoons, that's why PBS Kids offer's the best children's programming. This is the only cartoon I actually learn from on PBS Kids, the other cartoons I watch on PBS Kids are just for entertainment. The other cartoon channels are NOT nearly as good as the cartoons on PBS Kids. Everyone should watch Dinosaur Train, because, you're never too old to learn, no matter what age. Dinosaur Train is educational in three ways, palentology, science, and, natural history. This is pure wholesome entertainment. I think the three most wholesome shows are dinosaur train, clifford, and, arthur.
Teen, 17 years old Written byHorace Williams November 19, 2014

Stupid crap.

Why PBS? You guys suck nowadays! This must stop! You d**n losers! Anyways, Dinosaur Train is inaccurate, the CGI is ugly, it's so boring, and it's incredibly gross. Screw this show.
Adult Written byforthelongrun27 October 20, 2014

Enjoyable and educational!

I love this show and never feel bad about letting my son watch it. The cartoon part has lessons that are both scientific and personal, like about getting along with different people and respecting differences in others. The palaeontologist always provides a good lesson. And the show also has a great sense of humour and catchy theme tune. Can't imagine what else you'd want in a show for kids!
Teen, 13 years old Written byDarksouls444 September 11, 2014

One of the better pbs shows

it teaches about dinosaurs what era there from what time period very good 10/10