All member reviews for Doctor Who

Long-running British sci-fi series still thrills fans.

Parent of a 12 year old Written byTheOncomingStorm March 28, 2011

Good for tweens

As a Christian mother, I see Doctor Who as a complex, rich allegory without the vulgarity of other modern TV shows. Of course, some of the monsters are a bit scary for small children, but for tweens. No problem. Despite it being a sci-fi show, it is the only show I know of that shows consequences to every action and still contains superb role models. Definitely a favorite in our family.
Parent Written byobnoxiousm September 6, 2010

Depth, Nuanced Themes, Bowties, and A Lot of Innuendo

Doctor Who has been around for almost my mother's entire life--and I'm an adult. That should tell you something. Since 1963 the values and appropriateness of the show has varied alot. I'll tell you that the earlier stuff is more appropriate than now for most part, and keep my commentary mostly to the new series. Doctor Who started as a family program and it still tries to be that. The story of an ancient, lonely alien who travels through time and space helping people who need it. He has trouble without someone to bounce his ideas off, and he's lonely, so he almost always has a companion, almost always a brilliant or brave young woman. If you have a teenager you needn't worry about Doctor Who. There are the odd racy comment, and a fair amount of violence, but it's nothing your teenager hasn't heard on the school bus, and is often much more elegantly phrased and genuinely funny on the show anyway. My concerns for younger, tween viewers are a few. The biggest iis its mild sexual comments. It's almost all a handful of jokes here and there, but they are subtle jokes that kids might accidentally repeat without a little clarification--and do you really want to explain the other definition of those words? They still aren't that bad, but let me tell you, being the naive kid to repeat that stuff without knowing it is not fun. The violence can be fairly intense, but is usually contained enough. Remember, this is prime time programming in the U.K. The Doctor generally avoids all but the most temporary, emergency violence, preferring to talk, scheme, or sabotage his way out of trouble. His companions do not alwayts agree and there are traditional military battles in later seasons. Creatures are occasionally killed, sometimes violently and callously, and the series features at least one suicide, on-scene but off-screen. Also, expect a lot of mild swearing. Nothing too crazy, but if you don't want your kid spouting the midlest but most religious of four letter words, talk to them before watching. On the bright side, the show features great role models like the Doctor (courageous and resourceful) and his companions (especially Martha, a brilliant and brave woman who knows when to follow along and when to stand up, and Rory, a loyal, courageous friend unafraid to speak up for his beliefs). The Doctor is a flawed role model, and his character arcs in season 2 and 5 are too complicated for younger teens without a parental explanation of deconstruction or a close watch of "The Waters of Mars" and "The End of Time." The show advocates standing up for what's right and heping others, but is also careful to remind us to be careful in our meddling and to pick our batles wisely, with the way fixed points in history cannot be changd. It is a deep, thought provoking show best saved for older teens, but fine for viewing by younger ones and a good conversation starter for tweens and parents. Plus, David Tennant rambling at fifty miles an hour and Matt Smith insisting that bowties are cool. Fun for the whole funny family!
Kid, 11 years old May 18, 2011

Bow ties are cool

Omigosh I love this show it is EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am obsessed with it!!!!!! It's SO FUNNY AND SCARY!!!!!!!!! By the way, bow ties are cool. So are fezs. And Stetsons.
Teen, 14 years old Written byPanda Incognito August 16, 2011

Clever, deep, and thought-provoking fantasy

I love Doctor Who! It's clever, funny, exciting, and mostly clean. However, it's a niche thing; you either hate it or love it. I'm very difficult to please when it comes to entertainment because I have high standards for morals and for quality, but love this show. Still, I'm a geek, others might not like it as much even though it is very good quality. Most all of the shows are brilliantly clever, well plotted, and deep. This is probably one of the only shows on which shows that there are consequences for actions and has solid role models. And they're not just role models- they're people like us. Believable. They don't always do the right thing, but they almost always learn a lesson when they don't. But more than that, there are rich, complex themes to mull over and dwell on, and ethical tangles where you have to think through the grey areas. What would I do if I were so-and-so? The show can be enjoyed passively, but is far, far, greater when you take time to think through it. Every show has laugh out loud moments and tender, sad times. I've cried in numerous episodes, which is saying a whole lot for me! The situations which come up may be "unrealistic", set on a planet far away with a mad man and his box, but at the heart of it, there are truths and realities which every one of us can relate to. The characters really grow on you, because they are so realistic. I approved this for ages twelve and up. Some younger kids may be able to watch it, but the episodes are very scary. I was a sensitive child who would have been scarred for life had I watched these as a kid. However, some kids can handle it. It all depends. Violence isn’t a big deal. There’s nothing remotely gory, just scary monsters. One thing which delights me is that the Doctor doesn’t use force and weapons to save the day, he uses his wit. This makes the shows cleaner, more interesting, and more ethical. In the shows, there are a handful of words which I don't approve of, and God's name is taken in vain, but there are no plug-your-ears-and-run-for-the-hills moments. Sex is an issue to be considered. While there is nothing remotely explicit, there are some innuendos. While they're not so bad that I feel affronted, they're the kind of thing where some naive, unsuspecting kid might quote something inappropriate and have no clue. As another reviewer said, they're no worse than what you would hear on the school bus. And sometimes... they're actually kind of FUNNY, as much as it gals me to admit it. Also, some females dress in a revealing way. However, you’d be confronted with far worse images just by taking your kids shopping at the mall, so I don’t feel that it’s such a big deal. I wouldn’t dress that way, but it’s not a major turn-off because it isn’t worse than anything someone might be wearing at the grocery store. All in all, Doctor Who is a delightful, brilliant, funny, and overall enjoyable show with surprisingly decent content.
Parent Written byWugmanmax April 4, 2012

Timey-Wimey

Brilliant! Great, imaginative show for all ages. The creatures and situations can be scary, but the Doctor is charming and always saves the day! Some very mild swearing (d*mn, hell and a**) from time to time. The positive messages outshine any negative aspects of the show. Second chances and forgiveness are nearly always offered to the "villains".
Parent Written byCheshirekat March 26, 2012

Long live The Doctor

The Doctor is a family tradition in our home. As a young child, 5 and up, I would curl up with my mum and watch Tom Baker, Peter Davison, and John Pertwee deal with crazy alien situations which I as a child thought were scary and yet very cool! Yes, the old monsters were very cheesy, but the writing drew me in and made me a fan of sci-fi forever more. A few times I do remember hiding my head under the blanket or literally hiding behind the sofa. The new Doctor Who series has been watched by my daughter and I for as long as it has been on, but she didn't really become addicted until 7 years old. Now she watches the old ones with me too, and she is still riveted by the new and the old monsters, and the witty dialog. And I now giggle when she hides her eyes while peaking out over my shoulder or behind the sofa. The Doctor is written as a complex character and yet a knight in shining armor. In some iterations he is darker than in others, but most of his iterations believe in mercy and nonviolent solutions and the inherent human abilities for love, persistence, and compassion. This show is one of the few on TV that I have little to worry about because it is very moral and explains things with the intent that your children are watching. It also does not condescend to children, but rather, since the The Unearthly Child, makes sure to show children that they are valuable individuals full of complex thoughts that are as valid and useful as any adults. In the new series this is especially characterized in the young Amelia Pond and her resulting life as the Girl Who Waited. Bloody brilliant. I will admit that Captain Jack Harkness's behavior did spark some questions from my daughter but they were easily resolved. Some of the Doctor's companions in the new series have been very strong female characters as well, and not just the damsel in distress. Many times these companions end up saving him which gives a much needed twist to the knight in shining armor background that was seen in the older series and sent many women reeling from the misogyny. But now we have Martha Jones, a medical doctor, activist, and security agent; Madge Arwell, the strong mother and war widow; Harriet Jones - Prime Minister; and the incomparable River Song, a mature woman, doctor of Archaeology and time traveler. These strong female role models allow young ladies to see that anything is possible in the future, and that self reliance is attainable and beautiful. As a woman of science with a young daughter, I really appreciate these positive role models. Cheesy at times, scary at times, heartfelt all the time, I really recommend Doctor Who to any family looking for a fun show to gather around the tele and share for a lifetime.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMountain Eyes July 29, 2011

Good Show, not Inapropriate

I love Doctor Who, and even if some episodes are a little scary (Silence in the Library, Forest of the Dead; Blink; Time of Angels, Flesh and Stone; The Impossible Astronaut, Day of the Moon) but they're not inapropriate...
Teen, 13 years old Written bySweeneyCat May 8, 2011

Possibly one of the BEST shows on now.

Doctor Who rocks. Period. Kids will love it for the action and sci-fy adventure, Parents will love it for it's non-commericalism and witty dark humor. My only concern is that you must understand the show is on and off with scariness; all episodes are bizarre, some feature monsters and scenes, like the gasmask-wearing zombies in The Empty Child to the don't-blink-or-you're-dead Weeping Angels in Blink are downright creepy. Although the Doctor DOES have romantic interests and some kissing goes on, nothing major besides that. The Doctor himself is a great role model, relying on his wits and knowledge of good and right to set him straight, even when he gets a little tempted. Just know your kids, and if you think they can handle slightly spooky stuff, they can handle the awesomeness that is Doctor Who.
Parent of a 16 year old Written byreallybusy July 15, 2010

Love, Love, Love Doctor Who!

Keep in mind that this incarnation of Doctor Who is a continuation of a show that started airing in the UK in the 1950s. There are several hundred episodes of the original available on DVD, though the old-timey effects won't work for tech-spoiled younger kids. The newer series - starting 6 seasons ago with Christopher Eccelston as the 9th Doctor and Billie Piper as his sidekick Rose Tyler - is cool, funny and brilliant, though as you progress you'll note unevenness in the writing. Some episodes are very scary (esp. "The Empty Child" and "Blink"), some are more cartoonish. There are very few happy endings. The current Matt Smith is the 11th Doctor: this makes a lot more sense if you start at the beginning (at least with the 9th Doctor and Rose), especially since there are flashbacks to other Doctors.
Teen, 13 years old Written byCodemaster September 16, 2010

WHAT EVER YOU DO, DON'T BLINK!

Omg, that episode gave me the chills. It still does. Anyway, best show EVER. Totally awesome. Can't wait to watch season 5!
Adult Written byamtvas August 8, 2011

Fantastic

The only thing I believe might be some problems for some families are the scary situations and some people may have a problem with the sexualities presented (there are sometimes gay characters). My values make it so that this doesn't bother me at all and some families may enjoy it, while others might be bothered by it. However it's a very small part of Doctor Who. Overall it's a fantastic series that gives people of all ages a thrill. It's fun, smart, and quirky and can sometimes scare even the oldest person.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycitygal14 May 25, 2014

perfect for families

this show is perfect and i know families who shows this as a kid show but there is a few aliens/monsters that you should be aware of cause they might scare a bit
Parent of a 12 and 14 year old Written byheather.parker July 15, 2013

Good for adolescents and teens.

My kids- esp. my 14 y.o. daughter-- love this show. But I don't agree that it's good for kids 10 years old or younger. There are a lot of scary characters and there are a lot of guns and violence. I think some people are rating this show based on older versions, which were milder. This show has some redeeming qualities, and is fine for older kids, but I wouldn't let little ones watch it.
Teen, 16 years old Written byhoneyliz May 29, 2013

Best TV of all time

I just love Doctor Who so so so much. I fangirl a lot about Doctor Who, to be honest. The Doctor is a very nonviolent hero and promotes using your words instead of your fists which is nice for a change. All his companions are very positive rolemodels as well, all in their own way. Amy is my favorite companion. You can rewatch Doctor Who over and over again without getting bored, because the acting and scenery is fantastic! However, some villains might be a bit too scary for the younger audience. I personally shivered during "Midnight", "Silence in the library", "the impossible astronaut" and "the empty child". But I would recommend it to everyone! Allons-y.
Written byAnonymous May 30, 2012

MUST SEE. (Seriously, it should be on everyones bucket list.)

Well, this review is a little dated if they are saying Rose is the main female companion. I haven't watched all the episodes, but Rose is from like 2005. I haven't gotten to the most current girl, but the second most current is Amy. Now, Amy, has a crush on the Doctor, despite the fact that he picked her up on the night before her wedding. Now, she does decide make advances toward him, and she does kiss him, but to no avail. This scene is kind of iffy.(See the end of Flesh and Stone) Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that new episodes coming up may have potential to get iffy. Though, it is very very good. Aside from that, there are mind bending twists, and tons of suspense, the kind that makes you fall off you couch because you went to far off the end of your seat. Not to mention tons of funny tidbits. But, on another note, this show has it's scary scenes. I think the worst ones are the ones with weeping angels. (See Blink, The Time of Angels, and Flesh and Stone) But there are others that are scary, like The Empty Child, and The Dancing Doctor. Aside from all that, the show is really fun to watch. My favorite is The Doctor and Vincent, in which they meet a certain famous painter, and I think you know who I'm talking about. Well, that's the end of my review, and I hope I haven't bored you. Hope you enjoy the show!
Adult Written bykat_marie January 25, 2012

Okay for most kids 10 and up

(Note, this is a review of series 2-4 of the BBC relaunch) If parents are looking for a good role model, there isn't a better one than the Doctor. While he sometimes makes mistakes, his heart is always in the right place. His forgiveness of his enemies and choice to always make killing a last resort is a trait not often seen in "action heros" and is, frankly, a breath of fresh air. There is a bit of mild language from time to time as well as some sexual innuendo, but nothing really troubling. If your child is sensitive and gets anxious when tv characters are in tense or sticky situations, however, this is probably not the best show for them.
Kid, 11 years old April 25, 2011

Perfect for the whole family

Hey guys doctor who is my favourite show perfect for the whole family but sometime th doctor has his snogs and flirts
Kid, 11 years old September 4, 2015

LOVE IT

THIS IS THE BEST SHOW EVER! I started watching it when I was 9 but I think it would be good for anybody 6 and up!!!! The violence amount is so small, but it is soooooo funny!!!!! I absolutely love it!!! It's my fav show out of all of time and space!!!! I loved you tennant!! You and Billie were the absolute BEST together!!!! WATCH THIS SHOW!!! YOU WONT REGRET IT!!!!!!!
Parent of a 11 year old Written byywei55@netscape.net February 9, 2013

Just watch one episode and you'll be hooked

This is literally my favorite show of all time. Just watch one episode and you'll be hooked. Other aliens might fight and kill a lot but there is rarley ever any blood, and the Doctor absolutley HATES violence, and always uses his clever mind and wits to defeat the enemy
Teen, 15 years old Written byRiverSong August 28, 2011

Doctor Who- 13 and up

The best TV show ever but not for the light hearted!