All member reviews for Dollhouse

Exciting action series examines deep questions of self.

Teen, 15 years old Written bySumiko November 12, 2010

Adult Written byxMadxScientistx February 19, 2009

Another Joss Whedon show!

I love Joss, so I've been looking forward to Dollhouse for a long time. That said, I think that we're still talking about potential here, and that's a bad sign. We all know Fox is impatient.
Teen, 15 years old Written byRenette81 March 28, 2009

AmAzInG

It has a very interesting and hooking plot. It dives deep into different characters all with implanted personalities.
Teen, 16 years old Written bymymembername June 2, 2012

Weak Beginning, Strong Ending

WARNING: In order to properly explain the complex plot of Dollhouse, this review contains spoilers. Dollhouse is about a secret agency that brainwashes human volunteers and replaces their memories with new memories. They can turn a human being into the perfect chef, the perfect date, anything their wealthy clients pay for. The human volunteers are usually people with troubled lives they'd like to escape from, people in need of some serious money, or even a prisoner who wants a shorter sentence. They sign five-year contracts where they will lend their bodies to the agency, and when the time is up, they are paid an incredible amount of money. The series revolves around Echo, who is the Dollhouse agency's most successful volunteer. She spends most of her time in the agency walking around brain-dead, or brainwashed, with no personality and no memories. She, like the rest of the volunteers (called Actives or Dolls), gets taken to a room with a chair where they insert memories and then send her off to a job for a client (called engagements). She'll walk out of that room as a skilled mountain-climer, or a faithful blind woman ready to infiltrate a devious cult. Whatever the job calls for. The agency also has enemies, who are both moral and immoral. There's FBI agent Paul Ballard, who believes in the existence of the Dollhouse and wants to stop it in order to rescue a semi-mysterious volunteer from there called Caroline. And there's Alpha, whom you'll begin to find out is a Doll who has escaped the Dollhouse, but not before killing off half the entire staff. Just your average psycho-killer. While the series starts out incredibly weak, by the seventh episode it starts to grow into something incredibly strong, that can be seen in Joss Whedon's other shows. If you love sci-fi and Whedon shows like Firefly, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Doctor Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, or Angel (featuring actors from all of those shows), it's not a bad idea to give this show a shot. Its premise, although hard to follow, is really interesting and the cast gives a strong performance as the show itself begins to bloom. While not super-great, this show is worth a little attention. Just don't give up before the seventh episode.
Educator and Parent of a 10 and 13 year old Written byMrs. W December 22, 2010

Not at all a kid or teen show; great fun for adults

A wonderful, thought-provoking show, right up there with Wheedon's best - but not for kids or teens. Way too complex for anyone under the age of, say, 23. See obnoxiousm's excellent review too.
Teen, 14 years old Written byswallowtear August 26, 2009

Identity, Sex, Drugs..but a good show

I think overall, the series seems to frown on bad behavior. Rape, Drugs, etc. If you feel your kid is strong enough to be able to handle the sexual under, and in some cases, overtones, then let them watch it. The rape episode really sticks out in my mind.. it could show teenage boys who don't understand the effects of rape what it does to people. I can't wait for the next season, and I quite hope it just keeps getting better. It does not shy away from the bad issues, that's for sure.
Kid, 12 years old July 28, 2014

AWESOME.

THERE BE SPOILERS AHEAD!!! There are basically two ways to watch a show like Dollhouse. You can ignore all of the moral questions raised by it or you can think about them and stay up all night wondering if Echo's a slave and Paul is doing the right thing in Season One. If you just try to ignore all of the whole okay, Echo isn't actually an (job) thing you have yourselves a million different show-movies. The episode with the hunter becomes an action show and Grey Hour becomes suspense. But if you actually wonder about things like them being wiped it's different. Dollhouse always delivers on two different levels. The first one is just what is Echo doing today? and the second is about the Dollhouse staff, Echo becoming a threat, and Paul. The plots are complex and hard to follow (I had to Google episode name explanation more than once) but they're also wonderful. You don't have to like Buffy/Firefly//Angel to like Dollhouse. I hated all three of them (how can people like Buffy when she's such a jerk? and Firefly is the boring-est show in the history of boring!) but I love Dollhouse. XD So anyways. There's sex (the Dolls can be bought out for sex, for Pete's sakes, Echo plays a dude's dead wife for one night a year) and action (she also got hunted by some dude with a bow). (Note: The following applies to Series One.) Basically, how the show works is this: Adelle (the head of Dollhouse) gets a call from some dude that wants a Doll, and if it's Dollhouse they want Echo. She goes upstairs to tell Topher (the tech dude) what they need. Topher creates a customized personality and skill set for Echo to perform in the field. Boyd (Echo's handler/caretaker/rescuer) tells Adelle/Topher/Mr. Dominic how this is a sucky idea and gets ignored. Dr. Saunders (the house doctor) gets Echo from where she's been acting like a perfectly tranquil child with the other Dolls to go get a "treatment" (personality upload). Topher gives Echo the personality and Echo gets up, now acting like that personality. She gets taken into the field to do her job. If it's fake lover, she gets dropped off at her "husband's" house (the client in this case). On the other hand, if it's police officer, she gets delivered to the police base. If it's on TV, it's gonna get ugly. If it's a dangerous assignment, it's gonna take a turn for the worst. And nothing is ever just sex. Right about then, its a commercial break and Agent Paul Ballard comes in. He's found something to do with the Dollhouse and he pursues it for ten minutes or so. Then back to Echo as the show is a typical action movie. At some point, something goes wrong with the technology. Maybe Echo starts remembering things from past assignments, maybe it's a remote wipe, whatever, and Topher insists it isn't his fault. The things go wrong-er and Boyd saves the day about half the time. The other half, Echo takes care of herself. This all depends on her imprint (personality), of course. Echo goes back to the house and gets wiped. Alpha is referenced. Did anyone doubt he was coming back? Of course, some episodes break the format. In Echoes, Echo gets her Caroline personality back by exposure to the campus she went to college on and remembers Rossum is bad. In Needs, the five Actives we see get their personalities back in an attempt to control them regaining memories by fulfilling their needs. In Haunted, Echo is a dead woman. And in Omega, Echo is imprinted by Alpha (yep.). Not even gonna talk about Epitaph One right now. Also, there's the Caroline story arc. Echo was originally Caroline, who was a college student who took a stand against Rossum and is now a doll to pay for it. Once again, pretending Epitaph One didn't happen. And she comes back, of course. See, it takes that long to explain it. So yes, complicated. Yes, sex (although no nudity, good job Dollhouse), swearing, and violence. Deep questions. Not for kids. (Yes I'm a hypocrite.) But awesome.
Teen, 17 years old Written byPoetic Ramblings September 12, 2013

Magnificent

Compelling, original, interesting, and wonderfully done. Eliza Dushku, Dichen Lachman, Enver Gjokaj, Fran Kranz, Harry Lennix, and Olivia Williams are especially fantastic.
Parent Written byobnoxiousm September 6, 2010

Not a Child, Teen, or Family Program in Any Way. Great for Horror-Minded Adults.

First off, I love Dollhouse. It's one of my favorite shows. It asks some great questions about the world and the nature of humanity. It has to go to some very nasty places to do so. Places I'd never take a kid. The one place where Dollhouse wins is feminist messages. Its full of strong woman with varying degrees of strength and empowerment, though in the end it seems like men call the shots way too often--then again, the show is partly an indictment of the objectification of women, so showing the horrors of that works. But the truth is that Dollhouse is a series for adults, and its objectionable content and complex moral dilemmas are hard for teens. Out and out evil characters end up being the good guys at various parts, the good characters do bad things, and groups of people with different ideas about how to save the world murder, manipulate, and even rape each other to win. Among all this are several mentally ill characters whose actions cannot be read as a moral judgement, yet who spout delusions of morality. It's a complicated landscape of ethics that a young teen probably can't navigate, and some older teens couldn't without help. Some of the content in this show was so horrific that I cried, screamed, looked away, and I'm a 23-year-old woman who's been laughing at horror movies since I was half that age. I think this is just too much for younger teens. Definitely watch as a family with your older ones. You might need your older teens' wide-eyed idealism to process the terrible things they do to Echo.
Kid, 10 years old December 28, 2009

One of the Best Shows in the Universe!!

A very good show! It's a piece of genius! Joss Whedon is one of my favorite directors in the universe! Joss Whedon created Angel, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Firefly, and Doctor Horrible's Sing Along Blog. It's a little iffy but really it's an awesome show!
Teen, 14 years old Written bynapoleonwrasse August 4, 2009

Excellent show, but with some iffy content

I love dollhouse. It is an excellent show, but can get pretty violent and does have some iffy language and sexual aspects to it. Overall an excellent show, but has intense and vivid violence.
Parent of an infant and 3 year old Written bycrystalditmars@... May 21, 2009

i love it

i love it
Teen, 15 years old Written byaidenconvict March 22, 2009

A worthwhile watch...

Dollhouse is another great show by Joss Whedon (creator of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel). It is a worthwhile watch for anyone over the age of 14. The content can be rather iffy in some cases, but is tame enough for television. It is a fast pace, science fiction thriller, one that will keep you anticipating Friday's at 9 p.m.!
Adult Written bycritique March 10, 2009

Eliza, good to see you back since "True Calling", excellent reprieve

Not only are you a very lovely choice for this character as in “True Calling”, but you appear to be having tons of fun in the promos you have that animated tongue shot. My hope is that the producers will not short this series in how far it can be taken how many shows have done and wonder why their audience falls away. It’s not the actors fault. It is known the some actors even try to suggest to direction how story ideas should develop. This was heard of in the 60s “Mod Squad” series. Tells us the actors had more than just acting in them. Since you know this series follows S.C. chronicles, careful NOT to loose the magnitude of entertaining your hour allows. What??? Those chronicles come from where we know of time paradox telling, altering what happens since Terminator 2. This puts Dollhouse to a challenge in keeping its audience bound in that energy of telling dramatic suspence holds on we who admire time travel stories, WHAT IF. This is how the reprise of “TIME MACHINE” was done with time traveler Guy Pierce versus 60s version Rod Taylor traveler. Keep up the great writing/directing.
Parent of an infant year old Written byLizbeth1990 February 18, 2009

Kid, 11 years old February 14, 2009

amazing

When I first saw these commercials, I thought they were just going to rip off the plot of one of my favorite books. I still think that (and I bet I know how the series will end), but the plots are still interesting, it keeps you on the edge of your seat, and most of the actors are good, except for the woman who (I think) runs the dollhouse. Even though this means Specials should sue for plagerism, I think I will continue to watch the show. It is violent, but I still reccomend it for 10+