All member reviews for Dragon Ball Z

Anime series stands the test of time, but very violent.

Parent Written byCooldee August 27, 2011

Dragon Ball Z is the worst cartoon ever!

This tv show is too violent for children under 14 years of age. There are postitive messages of teamwork and never giving up, but this show is overshowered by violence.
Adult Written byYusuke May 30, 2010

Dragon Ball Z is the most popular anime/manga series of all time. Most children and generally people with a low intellect have a hard time comprehending thing about the series. The plot isn't always fighting nor is it the same. It's also not slow paced. The people that generally say this again, have seen very few episodes and fail to look past a couple of scenes. The series starts with Goku going back to his old master's house for a reunion. Little did he know, his brother had come to Earth. Goku knew nothing about himself, or why he had a tail (See Dragon Ball). Raditz his brother explained everything, kidnapped his son and told him to kill 100 humans if he wished to see his son again. Goku being the pure hearted guy he is, set in after to rescue his son with former rival Piccolo. The plot in a sense changes from rescuing his son, to a greater threat coming to Earth. Goku is killed in this battle and due to Kami allowing him to train with King Kai, the God of the North portion of the universe, Goku is able to train with him to prepare for these invaders. Long story short, it shifts to Goku's friends dieing in battle. And without the Dragon Balls, they can't wish them back. So the next thing is for them to journey to planet Namek to use their Dragon Balls. Little did they know, A tyrant known as Frieza which had been controlling the saiyan race had also been Vegeta's boss so to speak. Vegeta had come to Earth in search of the Dragon Balls to become immortal to defeat Frieza and take his place. He was one of the invaders that came that Goku was preparing for. He narrowly escaped due to Goku's good will. Though the amount of blood and wounds on him shows how badly injured he was, He couldn't even walk! People who would use a stereotypical again are the ones that are completely biased. Comments would include: *Intense screaming for episodes on end. *Predictable fights. *The same thing over and over. All those are incorrect. The first arc consisted of Goku learning off his ancestry and fighting off some really strong new guys, who were actually of the same race. They then in search of the Dragon Balls go to Namek, where they learn of Frieza. This part of the story is really interesting. Just between all the stirring ambivalence. Frieza and his men are after the balls, Krillin and co are as well, not to mention Vegeta. It's a three way struggle for the Dragon Balls. Eventually, Vegeta and Krillin's side join forces to beat Frieza's men, but they're outclassed. Vegeta did manage to cut off Guldo's head though. The battle scene changed entirely when Goku arrives on Namek and disposes of Frieza's men, all but one that is. Captain Ginyu had actually switched bodies with Goku, causing a lot of conflict. Goku and Frieza fight to the death, that is until Goku's best technique fails. At this point Vegeta dies of heart failure, due to being hit in the chest from a death beam by Frieza. Frieza then does the same to Piccolo, who barely survives. And he then kills Krillin by causing him to literally explode. As it was hinted by Vegeta for a vast amount of time, Goku had the power of the super saiyan. He unlocks this using the pain of lost, putting his feelings first. He is then able to outclass Frieza, but at the same time show him mercy. He lends Frieza his chi after Frieza's arm and bottom half of his body are sliced off. Frieza didn't learn a thing and retaliates, ultimately ending up with severe injuries in space. Dragon Ball Z was initially suppose to end with Goku dieing on Namek becoming the savior of the universe, but Akira's editor pushed him to create more due to it's high popularity. As you can see we've already proven two stereotypes wrong. The battles are rarely predictable, and the storyline is never the same. The main reason they say it would be predictable is because the series is a few decades old and it's been seen before. The other stereotype being the ones who says there's tons of screaming that goes on for episodes. This never happened. The most you would have in DBZ is in two scenes out of 291 episodes. One being Vegeta's Final Flash, which he was charging a blast for 4 minutes. He was also directing it away from the Earth and antagonizing Cell to stay there. He was abusing the pride and arrogance Cell had from his own cells which lie inside of cell. Tongue twister, eh? Vegeta is a master tactician, there was a lot more going on in that scene than just a bit of yelling which was used as a battle cry you could say. That's the second longest amount of yelling in the series, ranging from 3-4 minutes. Also interrupted by other character talking and once again, other characters talking in other locations. I used talking as an example, there were other things going on. The longest is 4-5 minutes, and it's Goku going super saiyan 3. Most people think that's the amount of time needed to go into this form. Once again that's incorrect. Goku is able to do it in less than 10 seconds as seen with the fight against Kid Buu. This was used a stalling tactic for Trunks to get the Dragon Ball radar. Other than those small scenes, the general yelling would be small bursts, which were usually battle cries. Once again proving the stereotype wrong. After Frieza, the Cell and Buu saga are entirely unpredictable, there's actually so many things going on it, it would take too long to actually explain in this small review. Overall Dragon Ball Z has swearing using words such as "Bast- Hel-, Dam-" and various other hand signs representing profound words, hence the middle finger. There is a ton of violence. From heads being cut off to holes being punched through people's stomachs. But Goku, he's probably the best remodel there is. Of course children are too young to understand much of this and would pay attention to the violence and swearing more than what the characters represent. There are mild uses of gambling and alcohol, and a slight bit of nudity (Though a lot less than Dragon Ball which has an extreme amount of nudity).
Adult Written bySeth88 September 30, 2012

HUGE difference between the edited/cut and Uncut version

Age 8 and up?? this must be a joke are we discussing the edited/cut version or the original uncut version? the original DBZ is very violent, some foul language here and there, blood/gore, sexual references etc I'm shocked that on this website a show with so many adult elements is classified as 8+ whereas Everybody Loves Raymond, a show with very mild crude humor classified as 13+ lol Overall I'd say that the Cartoon Network (Cut version) is suitable for people over 10, while the original version is 15+ Great show nonetheless, but not suitable for children.
Kid, 12 years old November 14, 2010

Really Less Violent Than the Common Superman Cartoon: Wonderful Show!

I really enjoy this series. When I was younger, I thought it was just a glorified fight fest with big-thighed men. Still, as I became more interested in anime, I decided to take a look. It was soooo much more than glorified muscles! I am no fan of Superman, I admit it. But imagine, if Superman where logical and his weakness was not a rock. That would describe Goku, the main character. He works hard and never gives up! This was my kind of show! While there is violence, even the villans have honor, and know that fighting is an art. I was very impresed with the character development as well. As the series progresses, you learn about each character and their lives. In short, this show is the one many anime lovers will love and came introduce anime very well to those who have not seen it.
Kid, 12 years old October 14, 2011

Awesome Action, But Unnecessary Content Bring it Down

I am a 12 year old and I think this is an awesome show, but I must advertise the cons. NOTE: I have not watched this show on Cartoon Network, but I have seen these episodes online. The content specified in this review may have been censored, but this is something that needs to be known in case anything is not censored. First of all, this is Dragon Ball Z, not Dragon Ball Z Kai. DBZ is the original Japanese version, which is inappropriate for a lot of reasons. 1. There is a character Master Roshi, who has a VERY sexual approach to the female characters. In one of the episodes, Roshi happen to fall out a ship that the Z fighters were riding in, and Android 18 happened to rescue him. He thanked her by grabbing her chest area, and plunging his face in them. There are countless other occasions, but it is common seeing him with O.O type eyes, if you know what I mean. He also has a very vulgar, suggestive ways of saying things that most tweens wouldn't understand. 2. The Devil Symbols. This MAJOR reason is something that I have gathered throughout the series. One is the fact that a character named Mr. Satan, would be present in the series. Analyzing his behavior will also give you clues to his bold name, such as his arrogance. He has a daughter name VIDEL (or DEVIL scrambled) who occasionally rides in a devilish car with Gohan. On the side of this "car", the symbol "666" can be found in a circle, with the name "SATAN" right above the symbol. Another symbol I have come across was the capsule corp. symbol. The future capsule corp symbol, with the Star in a Circle. Also some characters are named "Majin". Majin is a Japanese word, which translated to English is "devil". You may be beginning to categorize me as a radical, but this is very secretive and must be put out there. 3. Nudity. I have not gone deep into this category, but I have already seen enough that I have not expected. In some of the Dragon Ball Z movies, specifically, Dragon Ball Z: Bardock The Father of Goku, there are brief scenes of nudity. In one scene, there are babies in a crib on a Saiyan Ship, and these babies are unclothed and exposed genitals are shown. Also, and this is a scene in Dragon Ball, but since this is along the lines of Dragon Ball Z, I'll specify it anyway, Kid Goku is shown pulling is pants down and revealing his genitals. This was requested by a lady, who questionably asked him to do so. This is very explicit for a show, and I am not surprised that Cartoon Network let this show air. 4. Blood. There are many bloody scenes in the series, as it is based on Martial Arts and fighting. This is my favorite show, when it is censored, because of the action and phenomenal storyline. Any other kid that watches this show might say this as well. Though due to this unexpected content, I have refrained from watching this, and I'm still weary about Dragon Ball Z Kai, on Nicktoons. Yes, 90% of this content is censored on Nicktoons, and I advise you to watch it. However, I DO NOT advise you to watch the MOVIES online. The TV episodes online are fine, but the MOVIES are not because they are the original Japanese versions. They have censored the bloody scenes, but the Devil Symbols are still present and some characters behavior is suggestive. You will know the difference between the movies and the TV episodes, because the movies have an ocean with a Japanese symbol at the very beginning, and the intro will say Dragon Ball Z, not Dragon Ball Z Kai. Also the original Japanese has older animation and visuals. I hope I did not confuse you in this review, and I hope this helped.
Kid, 12 years old September 24, 2011

Uh.

Whoops I forgot.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybioniclecomeback56 May 22, 2013

It's ok for 8 and up. Uncut version is ok for 12+

I'm re-writing my review because I overreacted a bit. it is true that this show is censored on children networks (I don't believe it airs on US TV currently). The uncut version is a bit more violent and might contain occasional language and crude humor (the dub and sub will probably be different) It never goes to an "R Rated" level. Overall this show is ok but not really that great either.
Adult Written byPowerRangerYELLOW April 9, 2008

Theres so many better shows of this type for kids

but because it's stupid and violent. the kids will love it
Teen, 16 years old Written byibarncat September 5, 2011

Anime series stood the test of getting above 200 episodes, but is too violent for most kids.

I already reviewed DBZ Kai, so I'm not going to go over my same opinions here. But the reason why I added two years to it is because if you're going to watch it, and I mean the original version, not Dragon Ball Z Kai on Nicktoons, then you have two options, both of which are highly questionable: DVDs, which I don't have, so I don't know how censored they are, but knowing the average anime fan, they probably aren't, and online, where it seems censored, but I caught some blood and one scene where you saw Cell's head come right off his body. As for the filler controversey, I'll just say there's good filler and bad filler. Good filler is rich dialogues inside a character's head, bad filler is stuff like Gohan's birthday and him blowing the cake on everyone.
Teen, 13 years old Written byCoolman44 September 2, 2011

What I think about Dragon Ball Z

This anime series have the following content Blood and Gore, Crude humor, Intense Violence, Mature humor, Moderate Language, Nudity, Use of Alchohol and Tabacco. I got these from the Enterntainment Software Rating Board{ESRB}.So the point is this is definently not for little kids and if you're one of those people who can handle strong content then I recommend you watch it.Trust me, this is not for the young.This has very mean content so make sure someone older watches it first.If he/she decides you are able to watch it, then you have alot of strength.I am not talking about a little.I am talking about so much.In the frieza saga you can see an alien impaling a human with his horns.That part was unexpected and very tough.Also in one scene a hero named "Goku" battled an alien named "Frieza".Frieza threw an attack that cuts everything.Goku sent it on Frieza, then he got impaled.I dont recommend this for anyone under 12.When Goku was kid you could see his naked body and innapropiate animated parts.When I saw that i was disturbed.This also has blood in every episode or almost every episode.Make sure you get parental consent.This also has disturbing scenes.In one episode a human named "Master Roshi" crashes into a womans front, then master Roshi tells jokes about it and touches it.(This is what I mean by mature humor).Even if you are 12 that doesnt mean you can watch this series.You have to get somebody older and make him/her watch the entire series.(Watch the entire series because it is very innapropiate in each episode).This is very strong, dont watch it without consent or you'll be emotionally scarred!I didnt watch all of Dragon Ball Z so be prepared for scary scenes.I think you should have parent controls so only a password should make you watch an episode.If you dont think your child is ready for this watch "Dragon Ball Z kai" It is rated "TV-Y7-FV"So it is alot nicer than Dragon Ball Z.I dont really know what Dragon Ball Z is rated but if I had to guess I would say"Between PG-13 and R"But ratings dont matter.Its how strong you are that matters.I clicked on good role models because the good guys always win.Something I'd watch out for is Goku naked and the stabbing.If you are underaged absoulutely dont watch it!
Teen, 13 years old Written bysagax04 April 2, 2010

AWESOME!!!

I loved this series as i kid and still do. Girls showing cleavage might concern parents of a 4 year old but is good for 6 year olds and up.
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written bycasandra_j_k December 2, 2009

This is a excellent show. There is violence but always to save the world and the main character is very pure and good with good morals. a excellent teacher of good

First off I would like to say as a warning if you are the type of parent who believes any violence in tv shows is bad for your kids then this is not a show for your kids. It is a traditional fighting style show for all ages. There is very little blood though goku and others get beat up alot. Goku is a very good man. He stands up for what is right. I believe those morals are very importaint to instill in children. The main character is very outgoing friendly and pure. Even though he fights. It is always to save the world and its people. This is a family favorite. Some of the anime movies have a little blood in it. I would not suggest the first broly movie for children under 6 my younger son watched it and was scared of the bad guy in that one. However, the 2nd and 3rd broly movies were not too scary particularly the 3rd one. This anime stems from the dragon ball anime. A word on dragonball Z though is that from time to time goku's original teacher shows up and he is a bit lecherous but he is not in dragonball Z as much as he is in the original series of dragon ball. If you rent this or try to find somewhere to watch it online make sure it is english dubbed not subbed. The english dub means english voices and they also pull some content i believe from the original japaneese version. English subs is the original version with original voices and you read the english subs at the bottom.
Adult Written byEarL April 9, 2008

Adult Written byUlisa April 9, 2008

Kid, 11 years old November 4, 2013

For some kids, but not for all kids

Dragon ball z is a show that gets a high rating because of the use of minimal fanservice, blood, and violence but I think a perfect rating for dragon ball z is 9 and up but if you don't think your children are ready for this kind of show than I suggest you watch dragon ball z kai.
Parent Written bynineheartsaxel July 10, 2013

A bildunsroman on justice and mercy

I grew up in the 90s watching "dragonball" and "dragonball z" and got the privilage of growing up watching the protagonists Gohan and Goku defend their home, friends, family, home, and ultimately, what's right. While the original show "Dragonball" does have some sexually perverted jokes in the beginning, the show evolves from classic japanese gags to martial arts, where Goku grows to become stronger. Both shows are ultimately about self improvement and growth. The bildungsromans with dragonball z and its predecessor of Goku and Gohan face the characters with themes of choices and deciding what justice and mercy is as even though there are villains in the show who, as Gohan puts it, "(doesn't) deserve to live" Goku and Gohan still let these foes live in order to change and become better than who they are. This leads to quite a few villains becoming "good." Obviously not all enemies convert and end up destroying themselves which gives viewers, especially children, the understanding that evil is a destructive nature and therefore will inevidably destroy itself. The show gives young males an older male figure to look up to who fights for whats right and never gives up but at the same time puts his faith in his son. The show may hold violence, but its justified. Its not wife beating or merciless destrution and death from the "good guys" its about fighting those who are evil, people who we must face every day and can choose to stand up to or walk from.
Kid, 11 years old July 13, 2012

For older kids.

Dragon Ball Z (a.k.a DBZ) is a GREAT show. The whole story is violence and all that. It does have all types of violence, but it is still a good show for many audiences. In my past experiences with DBZ, there was only mild swearing, but only in the uncut, which wasn't showed on T.V. until later at night. True, all of those box-set DBZ is uncut, but some of the tapes and DVDs are edited. In some of the DBZ scenes, people are smoking. In episode one, a farmer is shown smoking. Also, in some episodes people drink beer. Now, I don't think kids are going to want to smoke just because they see it on T.V. Many people grunt in pain. There is a lot of that after they get hit really hard. Also they grunt if they are pushing their limits in a final effort.There are plenty of violent scenes like people punching each other a lot, but it's not like it will affect any kids who watch. Some people in it kill innocent people for no good reason. The show has plenty of laser beams and blasts of energy being shot out of an opponents hand, but kids know that it isn't real. A few characters blow themselves up in order to save everyone. Some scenes have guns, but they aren't used much. There is blood when characters get hit hard. Probably one of the bloodiest sagas is the Majin Buu saga. On T.V. they do edit some of the blood. There are scars on some characters. There are many bruises and cuts. Some scenes have gore, like an alien gets his head cut off. Also a guy gets his arm chopped off, but it's not too graphic. The scene with the most gore is probably when an alien gets chopped into a few pieces by a disc. He heals, but gets chopped up again by a sword. An alien impales a human with his horn in the stomach. Blood drips out of the wound. Some characters swear, but the words they use are mild. They say words like H***, Ba****d, and D***. There is some name calling, but it's nothing to worry about. But Dragon Ball Z is for many ages. There is some educational value in it because kids learn to work together. Also Goku tries to save the world and defeats evil enemies, so there are lot's of rule modules. Goku and his friends are always trying to save the day. The good guys always win, but some of them die along the way. Some characters get wished back to life with the Dragon Balls. The show is fine as long as kids don't try to imitate the evil characters. It's the best show that I have ever seen.
Kid, 10 years old August 6, 2011

The difference between american and japanesse

This Show is AWSOME!!! I think that the american version is for 10 and up because of the violence. But if your watching the oringinal japanesse then it would be 13 and up for violence,blood,cussing. So if your younger child is watching this show make sure its english.
Teen, 13 years old Written byF-Zero studios November 5, 2010

IT'S OVER 9000!

IT'S OVER 9000! times better than South Park
Kid, 10 years old August 10, 2010

Awesome show!

8 AND UP?! You gotta be kidding me. This show contains blood and cursing me as a Dragon Ball Is disgraced! 13 and up. Stop thinking every freaking show Is for kids. Especially anime!