All member reviews for Dragon Ball Z

Kid, 12 years old November 14, 2010

Really Less Violent Than the Common Superman Cartoon: Wonderful Show!

I really enjoy this series. When I was younger, I thought it was just a glorified fight fest with big-thighed men. Still, as I became more interested in anime, I decided to take a look. It was soooo much more than glorified muscles! I am no fan of Superman, I admit it. But imagine, if Superman where logical and his weakness was not a rock. That would describe Goku, the main character. He works hard and never gives up! This was my kind of show! While there is violence, even the villans have honor, and know that fighting is an art. I was very impresed with the character development as well. As the series progresses, you learn about each character and their lives. In short, this show is the one many anime lovers will love and came introduce anime very well to those who have not seen it.
Kid, 12 years old October 14, 2011

Awesome Action, But Unnecessary Content Bring it Down

I am a 12 year old and I think this is an awesome show, but I must advertise the cons. NOTE: I have not watched this show on Cartoon Network, but I have seen these episodes online. The content specified in this review may have been censored, but this is something that needs to be known in case anything is not censored. First of all, this is Dragon Ball Z, not Dragon Ball Z Kai. DBZ is the original Japanese version, which is inappropriate for a lot of reasons. 1. There is a character Master Roshi, who has a VERY sexual approach to the female characters. In one of the episodes, Roshi happen to fall out a ship that the Z fighters were riding in, and Android 18 happened to rescue him. He thanked her by grabbing her chest area, and plunging his face in them. There are countless other occasions, but it is common seeing him with O.O type eyes, if you know what I mean. He also has a very vulgar, suggestive ways of saying things that most tweens wouldn't understand. 2. The Devil Symbols. This MAJOR reason is something that I have gathered throughout the series. One is the fact that a character named Mr. Satan, would be present in the series. Analyzing his behavior will also give you clues to his bold name, such as his arrogance. He has a daughter name VIDEL (or DEVIL scrambled) who occasionally rides in a devilish car with Gohan. On the side of this "car", the symbol "666" can be found in a circle, with the name "SATAN" right above the symbol. Another symbol I have come across was the capsule corp. symbol. The future capsule corp symbol, with the Star in a Circle. Also some characters are named "Majin". Majin is a Japanese word, which translated to English is "devil". You may be beginning to categorize me as a radical, but this is very secretive and must be put out there. 3. Nudity. I have not gone deep into this category, but I have already seen enough that I have not expected. In some of the Dragon Ball Z movies, specifically, Dragon Ball Z: Bardock The Father of Goku, there are brief scenes of nudity. In one scene, there are babies in a crib on a Saiyan Ship, and these babies are unclothed and exposed genitals are shown. Also, and this is a scene in Dragon Ball, but since this is along the lines of Dragon Ball Z, I'll specify it anyway, Kid Goku is shown pulling is pants down and revealing his genitals. This was requested by a lady, who questionably asked him to do so. This is very explicit for a show, and I am not surprised that Cartoon Network let this show air. 4. Blood. There are many bloody scenes in the series, as it is based on Martial Arts and fighting. This is my favorite show, when it is censored, because of the action and phenomenal storyline. Any other kid that watches this show might say this as well. Though due to this unexpected content, I have refrained from watching this, and I'm still weary about Dragon Ball Z Kai, on Nicktoons. Yes, 90% of this content is censored on Nicktoons, and I advise you to watch it. However, I DO NOT advise you to watch the MOVIES online. The TV episodes online are fine, but the MOVIES are not because they are the original Japanese versions. They have censored the bloody scenes, but the Devil Symbols are still present and some characters behavior is suggestive. You will know the difference between the movies and the TV episodes, because the movies have an ocean with a Japanese symbol at the very beginning, and the intro will say Dragon Ball Z, not Dragon Ball Z Kai. Also the original Japanese has older animation and visuals. I hope I did not confuse you in this review, and I hope this helped.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybioniclecomeback56 May 22, 2013

It's ok for 8 and up. Uncut version is ok for 12+

I'm re-writing my review because I overreacted a bit. it is true that this show is censored on children networks (I don't believe it airs on US TV currently). The uncut version is a bit more violent and might contain occasional language and crude humor (the dub and sub will probably be different) It never goes to an "R Rated" level. Overall this show is ok but not really that great either.
Kid, 12 years old September 24, 2011

Uh.

Whoops I forgot.
Teen, 16 years old Written byibarncat September 5, 2011

Anime series stood the test of getting above 200 episodes, but is too violent for most kids.

I already reviewed DBZ Kai, so I'm not going to go over my same opinions here. But the reason why I added two years to it is because if you're going to watch it, and I mean the original version, not Dragon Ball Z Kai on Nicktoons, then you have two options, both of which are highly questionable: DVDs, which I don't have, so I don't know how censored they are, but knowing the average anime fan, they probably aren't, and online, where it seems censored, but I caught some blood and one scene where you saw Cell's head come right off his body. As for the filler controversey, I'll just say there's good filler and bad filler. Good filler is rich dialogues inside a character's head, bad filler is stuff like Gohan's birthday and him blowing the cake on everyone.
Teen, 13 years old Written byCoolman44 September 2, 2011

What I think about Dragon Ball Z

This anime series have the following content Blood and Gore, Crude humor, Intense Violence, Mature humor, Moderate Language, Nudity, Use of Alchohol and Tabacco. I got these from the Enterntainment Software Rating Board{ESRB}.So the point is this is definently not for little kids and if you're one of those people who can handle strong content then I recommend you watch it.Trust me, this is not for the young.This has very mean content so make sure someone older watches it first.If he/she decides you are able to watch it, then you have alot of strength.I am not talking about a little.I am talking about so much.In the frieza saga you can see an alien impaling a human with his horns.That part was unexpected and very tough.Also in one scene a hero named "Goku" battled an alien named "Frieza".Frieza threw an attack that cuts everything.Goku sent it on Frieza, then he got impaled.I dont recommend this for anyone under 12.When Goku was kid you could see his naked body and innapropiate animated parts.When I saw that i was disturbed.This also has blood in every episode or almost every episode.Make sure you get parental consent.This also has disturbing scenes.In one episode a human named "Master Roshi" crashes into a womans front, then master Roshi tells jokes about it and touches it.(This is what I mean by mature humor).Even if you are 12 that doesnt mean you can watch this series.You have to get somebody older and make him/her watch the entire series.(Watch the entire series because it is very innapropiate in each episode).This is very strong, dont watch it without consent or you'll be emotionally scarred!I didnt watch all of Dragon Ball Z so be prepared for scary scenes.I think you should have parent controls so only a password should make you watch an episode.If you dont think your child is ready for this watch "Dragon Ball Z kai" It is rated "TV-Y7-FV"So it is alot nicer than Dragon Ball Z.I dont really know what Dragon Ball Z is rated but if I had to guess I would say"Between PG-13 and R"But ratings dont matter.Its how strong you are that matters.I clicked on good role models because the good guys always win.Something I'd watch out for is Goku naked and the stabbing.If you are underaged absoulutely dont watch it!
Teen, 13 years old Written bysagax04 April 2, 2010

AWESOME!!!

I loved this series as i kid and still do. Girls showing cleavage might concern parents of a 4 year old but is good for 6 year olds and up.
Kid, 11 years old November 4, 2013

For some kids, but not for all kids

Dragon ball z is a show that gets a high rating because of the use of minimal fanservice, blood, and violence but I think a perfect rating for dragon ball z is 9 and up but if you don't think your children are ready for this kind of show than I suggest you watch dragon ball z kai.
Kid, 11 years old July 13, 2012

For older kids.

Dragon Ball Z (a.k.a DBZ) is a GREAT show. The whole story is violence and all that. It does have all types of violence, but it is still a good show for many audiences. In my past experiences with DBZ, there was only mild swearing, but only in the uncut, which wasn't showed on T.V. until later at night. True, all of those box-set DBZ is uncut, but some of the tapes and DVDs are edited. In some of the DBZ scenes, people are smoking. In episode one, a farmer is shown smoking. Also, in some episodes people drink beer. Now, I don't think kids are going to want to smoke just because they see it on T.V. Many people grunt in pain. There is a lot of that after they get hit really hard. Also they grunt if they are pushing their limits in a final effort.There are plenty of violent scenes like people punching each other a lot, but it's not like it will affect any kids who watch. Some people in it kill innocent people for no good reason. The show has plenty of laser beams and blasts of energy being shot out of an opponents hand, but kids know that it isn't real. A few characters blow themselves up in order to save everyone. Some scenes have guns, but they aren't used much. There is blood when characters get hit hard. Probably one of the bloodiest sagas is the Majin Buu saga. On T.V. they do edit some of the blood. There are scars on some characters. There are many bruises and cuts. Some scenes have gore, like an alien gets his head cut off. Also a guy gets his arm chopped off, but it's not too graphic. The scene with the most gore is probably when an alien gets chopped into a few pieces by a disc. He heals, but gets chopped up again by a sword. An alien impales a human with his horn in the stomach. Blood drips out of the wound. Some characters swear, but the words they use are mild. They say words like H***, Ba****d, and D***. There is some name calling, but it's nothing to worry about. But Dragon Ball Z is for many ages. There is some educational value in it because kids learn to work together. Also Goku tries to save the world and defeats evil enemies, so there are lot's of rule modules. Goku and his friends are always trying to save the day. The good guys always win, but some of them die along the way. Some characters get wished back to life with the Dragon Balls. The show is fine as long as kids don't try to imitate the evil characters. It's the best show that I have ever seen.
Kid, 10 years old August 6, 2011

The difference between american and japanesse

This Show is AWSOME!!! I think that the american version is for 10 and up because of the violence. But if your watching the oringinal japanesse then it would be 13 and up for violence,blood,cussing. So if your younger child is watching this show make sure its english.
Teen, 13 years old Written byF-Zero studios November 5, 2010

IT'S OVER 9000!

IT'S OVER 9000! times better than South Park
Kid, 10 years old August 10, 2010

Awesome show!

8 AND UP?! You gotta be kidding me. This show contains blood and cursing me as a Dragon Ball Is disgraced! 13 and up. Stop thinking every freaking show Is for kids. Especially anime!
Kid, 8 years old July 28, 2009

i found a bit of cursing in season three

love it
Teen, 15 years old Written byAnimefan15 April 8, 2015

Okay, some violence

Great story, but blood and violence is definitely present. I also recall the primary villain Frieza, saying bastard. The show has a couple positive messages, one being that working together to achieve a goal will prove better than working alone. Also, the used-to-be villain Vegeta was a tough, determined enemy, but after rethinking his alignment with Frieza, fights with the show's main protagonist, Goku.
Teen, 17 years old Written byHorace Williams November 16, 2014

Awesome show.

Dragon Ball Z is an amazing Anime Series. Awesome action, beautiful acting, and it's one of my favorite shows.
Kid, 11 years old March 9, 2014

hi im a 12 year old kid if you have younger ones that want to watch dragon ball z dont let them but theres a safe altenative its called dragon ball z kai its on nicktoons or its on every saterday morning on the cw for kids i hope you like this review

Teen, 16 years old Written byEntertaimentCritic88 November 27, 2013

Best Anime series ever.

This Anime was so cool! I loved it. The fight scenes were EPIC! Likeable characters too. This is perfect. Long live Dragon Ball Z!
Teen, 17 years old Written byYellowsonic October 25, 2013

Dragonballz rating if it was a movie

RatingPG13 =persasive violence ,language and some cruel humor
Teen, 16 years old Written byBob Sacamano October 15, 2013

Know the difference between the uncensored/ censored versions!

One thing you MUST know BEFORE you allow your child to see it is whether or not it is the uncensored or censored version of the show. The best way of telling is simple: the uncensored version begins with a shot of a mountain, the censored starts with something (a pod) flying through space. It may also say somewhere (the 4Kids animation and Nickelodeon are the censored ones). This is critical when deciding. I will discuss both. The uncensored version first. As a point of reference, if you would allow your child to watch Michael Bay's Transformers, you would allow them to watch this. It includes multiple reference to sex, and one character in particular swears on many occasions. It never gets worse than "D*mn it" or "That b*stard", and a few middle fingers are shown. The sex references are a bit stronger. Non-sexual full frontal male nudity is not uncommon, but it's not focused upon, either. It's just sort of... There. They treat it naturally. Female characters will frequently use sex appeal to their advantage (OK, not that frequently, but it's a regular occurrence). Many males are portrayed as perverts. The violence should only be a concern if you're watching the censored version (in which ALL of the above are void- except some mild flirting from females). There isn't much I, or anyone else, can say on the subject. The entire show is based on martial arts fighting- that alone should be a deciding factor. It's not tame, but it's also not brutal. Note the censored version, as you'd expect, omits most of the blood. If I had to give an age rating for the censored version, I would say: ON for kids age 8
Teen, 16 years old Written byrobotkitty90010 August 8, 2013

Way to violet

Well there is positive messages,but there is a monster in the show who tortures a teen in front of his friend.Then he licks the blood of him.Now he tortures him even more.Also there is a part of the show where they raid houses.