All member reviews for Elementary

Teen, 15 years old Written byWayward Girl December 4, 2012

Elementary Is No "Sherlock", But It's Pretty Good

When I first saw the promo for this, I along many other dead loyal "Sherlock" fans shrieked, "NOOO!!! Sherlock does not live in New York, Sherlock does not have tattoos, Sherlock does not sleep with prostitutes, Sherlock is not a druggie, and Sherlock. Is Not. Johnny Lee Miller!!!" After stubbornly ignoring Elementary's existence for months I eventually came around and agreed to at least watch the pilot episode, just to further more bash on it. I was actually... pleasantly surprised. It wasn't that bad. It was actually... pretty good. I actually loved the idea of Watson being a girl, but I was worried about Lucy Liu's portrayal. I had nothing to fear. She was AMAZING. And Johnny Lee Miller? He's no Cumberbatch, but he's still respectable. This show is funny, clever, violent, and intriguing. My concerns are already mentioned above: Sherlock is a recovering druggie, and he is casual about sex/language. It's a crime show so of course there's violence. Other than that... I actually like this show. If I ever had to choose between Sherlock and Elementary, however - no doubt, I would still take Sherlock. But if, or rather, when, I need to feed my "Holmes Hunger" while waiting for Sherlock season 3, I now know where to turn to.
Teen, 13 years old Written byGabiey November 6, 2012

Wonderful

Elementary, one of the best installments besides the earlier installment Sherlock which premiered on BBC. I read somewhere that this was an americanized version of the British show. The minimal comedy in the show provides innocent laughs. I like the fact that the writers for this series decided that Watson should be a girl this time around.
Teen, 15 years old Written byscot451 March 13, 2013

Brilliant show

This is a fantastic show, the detail and brilliance that goes into each episode is fantastic. Watson is a strong leading female character, good role model. There are sexual references and alluding to sex but nothing is ever shown for the most part. Every episode has some violence, someones always dying, and sometime it is in somewhat grotesque or disturbing ways. Sherlock is a recovering addict, but in no way at all does this create a negative message, if anything it inspires a positive one, Sherlock stays strong despite offers of drugs throughout the series.All in all, this show is definitely okay for older teens and mature younger teens.
Teen, 16 years old Written byhoneyliz May 29, 2013

Sort of must watch

I must admit that I like BBC's Sherlock more than Elementary. However, this show is very different so I keep up with both. Elementary has a lot more women in it, which provides positive female role models as well. Watson is great. The show is generally pretty dark though since it deals with murders and villains, but the protagonists usually solve it in the end.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJacob Fox Byers November 9, 2013

Horrible American Rip-off

Sherlock is way better than this. This show is basically an American rip-off of Sherlock. Us Americans can make anything excellent suck. My problems: New York not London, Sherlock is too nice, Sherlock is a junkie not a consulting detective, Watson is a girl, Watson is Asian, NYPD not Scotland Yard. In Sherlock Freeman (Watson), Cumberbatch (Holmes), and Scott (Moriarty) do so much BETTER jobs that their counter parts at bringing these characters to life. This show is just... Awful ugh.
Kid, 11 years old October 12, 2014

Unique in it's own way

Elementary, like every show, has it's problems Personally, I believe the pros outweigh the cons, but that is your decision. I do think that you should definitely give the series a chance because you may be surprised at how interesting this is. As to the reviews stating that this series "copies off of the BBC Sherlock Holmes", I have to say: If you're going to write a crime drama about Sherlock, your going to be copying ALOT. There are many shows about Sherlock Holmes, and each has a different backstory. My age recommendation? Teenagers. It's iffy for even 13 year olds, because violence, sex and drugs are brought up constantly.
Kid, 6 years old September 7, 2014

Just Read The Rest Of This Review...

I was only watching this because my parents thought I was asleep and turned it on. I only watched about half of it though. And I'm really mature for my age . I know I'm only seven but in third grade and won my school spelling bee. Anyways, I think the "Great Choice For Mature Teens" that CSM think is a little bit overboard. It is fine for all kids ages 10 and up. And for parents, I don't want to sound mean but not everything has to be G-Rated for your kids to watch. There is so much great material out there that would be fine for kids. But it's not G-Rated.
Teen, 16 years old Written bytazeraz January 31, 2014

RIP OFF!!

This is a copy of the BBC show Sherlock! Elementary isn't even that good! If you want a good show with mystery and the real Doyle stories, WATCH SHERLOCK!!!!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byFoxDragonFilms December 29, 2013

LAME

This is la lame rip off of Sherlock. SHERLOCK HOLMES IS BRITISH PEOPLE!!! It isn't nearly as good as Sherlock in the dialouge or acting and it is not as smart of a show. It is boring and is like every other bad cable show.
Teen, 13 years old Written byEmma's Dawn December 11, 2013

If you haven't seen Sherlock, see it first, but Elementary is a good substitute.

Like a lot of people before me, apparently, I like Sherlock much more than this. I could fill your screen with why I love Sherlock, but Elementary isn't that bad, and good for occupying my very simple mind while I wait for Season three of Sherlock. Elementary has Sherlock Holmes being obnoxious and arrogant throughout the pilot episode. Holmes has moved from London to New York, because his father is trying to stop him from taking drugs. There are some sexy bits with innuendo, but it's pretty clean language wise. Not a lot of blood, but a murdered lady's body is in a pretty contorted position. There isn't really any showing the actually murder, more just letting you imagine it . So...Good Luck ;)
Teen, 13 years old Written byradon canyon November 3, 2013

Amazing!

Okay, so it's not quite as good as Sherlock, but let's be honest. Is anything ever going to be better than Sherlock? There's obviously a little violence, come on, it's a crime show. Sherlock is a recovering drug addict so that's mentioned too. The only thing keeping it from getting 5 stars from me is the fact that everything seems to come down to prostitutes. It gets irritating and unimaginative after the first few times.