All member reviews for Falling Skies

Earnest alien drama gets hostile but holds back on gore.

Kid, 12 years old June 20, 2011

Great Sci-Fi Show Teens Will Love!

Just watched this season premiere last night, and loved it. I mean, it was Steven Spielberg so it kinda had to be cool! Pretty violent and between occasional and frequent language (d***, h***, s***, a**). Falling Skies is a story about a post-apocalyptic crisis where "Skitters" and "Mechs" (alien bad-guys) have invaded Earth. The S&M's run down Boston, so a settlement is forced to leave to get more food. Lots of trouble along the way though! A very good, but violent, spawning TV series!
Teen, 13 years old Written byShadowWolf June 26, 2011

A Great, Sci-Fi Show That Is Sure To Please Teens Young And Old

I saw the trailer for this in a theatre before a movie and was immediatly put on my must watch list. I just saw the pilot episode last night and it took me on a thrill ride from the very beginning. It had everything perfectly set to make it seem real, and not cheesily overdone. I will go through each category one by one. This show has a very positive mesage. Aleins have taken over the earth after killing most of the worlds population. The remaining people form scattered malitias, as the aleins made sure to wipe out all of the army bases, all ships, and a majority of capitols and armorys. Everyone joins together as a team called the 2nd Massachusetts. They are all strongly bonded and are very strong with human rights and the value of life. The role models are all very strong characters, (all male, i might add) and are intent on saving the world and all of the people remaining on it. The violonce is a large part of this show, but the blood and gore are at the bare minimum. No blood is shown even when a man gets shot through the body twice with two diffrent arrows, and the alien "skitters" die without any goopy mess, as they do in other sci-fi shows. Gun fights are frequent, but mainly against the aliens. Gunfight does break out among other people as our group of main characters runs across a rogue group of surviving outlaws taking refuge by the armory that they attempt to search. One man of the 2nd Mass. is taken out, and one of the outlaws is shot in the leg. They are promptly taken hostage, and visiosly handled and threatened with a variety of weapons. They are held hostage by the outlaws, with demands of the rebels strongest weapon. A girl that is with the outlaws suddenly turns against them, and hints that she was taken captive by them and sexually abused. after shooting them, She says "after what they did to me after they took me, they deserved to die" One of the main characters has two girls fighting over him (subtly, i might add) and he comes close to kissing one of them. Language use is infrequent, and when it is used, it is not just out of the blue. That character at the moment he uses the language was in extreme pain or shock, a moment that we may have heard people use languag in in real life. There is no brands advertised, but gun types may be recognizable to those who know them. One of the main characters, while held hostage, asks for a beer as it is obvious the outlaws hideout is scattered with discarded beer bottles and other liqour bottles. The monsters/ aliens/ "skitters"/"mechs" are animated, but not overdone. They do have some pretty nasty weapons, including wicked "harnesses" that they put on children to control them. The name harness is misleading, as it is a strip of alien materials attached to the childs spine and neck base. Doctors attempt to remove them, but every child so far had died in the proscess. The aliens are merciless when it comes to killing, but the animation is not really obvious. I loved it, and teens (possibly older tweens) will be dying to watch this show if they catch a glimspe of the trailers. In review, a not overdone, violent but not gory, and sure to please kind of show.
Teen, 16 years old Written byOGORMAN June 22, 2012

My favorite character is Ben Mason!! :)

This is my all time favorite show! Language is being used more and more frequently as the show goes on, but the worst it gets is h---, d--n, and a--. Since the characters are fighting off alien "skitters" and "mechs" there is a lot of violence. However it is not usually gory (only the scenes of medical surgeries and children being harnessed are slightly graphic). There are many battles against the aliens that involve the use of varieties of guns and also a few bombs. The skitters will most likely frighten young children (they sort of scared me at first, they look very real). The aliens are also abducting teens and controlling them with these creepy harnesses that may also scare younger children. Not so much in the first season, but as the show has gone on, characters have started to form interests in one another. These relationships are realistic and have good depth, nothing you wouldn't want your kids to see. Mainly, some infrequent kissing is seen, however, there are some references to slightly more going on (nothing is visible). Tom Mason is a deeply caring father who only wants to do what is best for his three sons: Matt, Ben, and Hal. He is a role model and leader for everyone throughout the series, even if they don't always agree with his methods.
Parent of a 14 year old Written bymaylady55 June 25, 2011

falling skies

Kid, 11 years old June 28, 2011

Ok

This is a pretty good tv show. Me and my parents watch it together. It isn't inappropriate at all. The most inappropriate thing is the language. and the worst they use is "d-mn".
Teen, 14 years old Written byMakorra July 23, 2012

Good

Teen, 14 years old Written byEmmaline Chiller June 26, 2012

Falling skies

I absolutely love the show, at the present time I am 14, but I began to watch the show when I was 13. I've watched bones, fringe, ncis and horror genre ever since I was little so I don't think any thing of concern for this show. I think the show is appropriate to watch, but I would stray away from presenting the show to kids who don't wach action or survival shows that are frightened easily. I have a cousin who finds Harry potter and some scooby doo movies/ episodes frightening (she is 9 years old) so I wouldn't show her this show. I have another cousin who is 7 and she choses to watch shows like ncis, bones, medical surgery documentaries and I would allow her to watch this show and not think twice. The show in total doesn't have a high concer for children, there aren't any sexual references, sex scenes or inferred sexual referenced. The only thing relative to this section is a teenage girl and boy kiss, an adult man and woman kiss goodbye and a conversation between two people wondering how the aliens increase in numbers asking if they are hermafridites or reproduce like humans There is ONE occasion when a man over the age of 40 has a sip of scotch and another occasion where the same man says to a 13 year old boy "If you were older we would give you a glass of whiskey," it is said quite lightheartedly , this statement is expressed after the teenage boy was attacked by an Alain and is in the medical bay suffering from shock.
Kid, 12 years old November 14, 2012

Best Show Ever

Barely any blood shown (alien blood). My favorite show. Great and interesting storyline. I'd even suggest it to some 8 year olds!
Teen, 13 years old Written bystarpandora September 4, 2013

good show but a lot of violence

Now I am 13 and I have been watching since the first season. This show has very little sexual content all they do is kiss and that is usually it. Now with the language they do cuss a little but not much and in the show there is a bar but people do not get really drunk and there are no drugs involved. there are people who die in this show and there is a lot of violence like for example there is a little boy and he has to help somebody save somebody whos head is stuck on rebar so there is a lot of fighting and dying so I think that if your 10 yr old is mature enough they should watch it cause it does have a really good story and good characters but no kid under 10 should watch it because it could scare them
Kid, 9 years old September 6, 2012

Not a kids show

This show is not for kids. there's too much violence, kissing and language like he-l and -amn!
Teen, 13 years old Written byHightech Redneck June 11, 2014

Good show about aliens.

The story is good with lots of action and a bit of humor. The acting is well done. The effects are pretty good too. Some good messages. Obviously violent with a bit of alien blood. Some sexual content and innuendos but nothing inappropriate is shown. Some mild language like a-- and d--n. Overall, a pretty good show with some stuff that may be too scary for some children.
Teen, 14 years old Written byStormie April 26, 2014

The Idea Behind It Was On Point.

Speaking from a teens' perspective, I think that it is a harmless show. It won't scar you for life. It definitely makes you think, though, and it is very, very violent. The language, to me, is very bad. I'm a person who is surrounded by this type of language everyday 24/7. So it doesn't really affect me. But for someone who, you know, is more sensitive to these types of things it might be somewhat overwhelming. The worst it got was Son of a B----. Yes, there are a lot of guns and violence. No, there isn't really a sexual theme to it. And Yes, it has somewhat a good plot.
Educator and Parent Written byjefflang December 12, 2013

Great show, but has some drinking/smoking.

I echo many of the other comments. It's a well-made show that has family and it's importance as a central theme amidst all the battles. I am writing primarily to let those who care know that the main review's omission of the drinking symbol is an error. The main characters often have a glass of wine or scotch to relax after a hard day, and several of the fighters are repeatedly depicted smoking. This is not a focus of the show by any means, but it is certainly a recurring component.
Teen, 16 years old Written byDJLaker October 20, 2013

Be caustious

The story is a rather scary one, but for the first two seasons, I would say if your child is thirteen, it's okay. But on season 3, you want you son/daughter to have the "talk" and understand it. It isn't prevalent in the show, but there are some scenes in the first few episodes that are rather explicit, and I would recommend skipping those scenes.