All member reviews for Family Ties

Classic 1980s sitcom's messages still ring true today.

Age

Parent of a 8, 9, and 11 year old Written byMike Weston August 11, 2009

Great conversation starting TV show

I love this show. The messages are timeless (except for some of the political stuff), and the characters all have their lovable sides. I just wish I knew when they were going to talk about sex in the episodes, because that is awkward for my younger children.
Teen, 13 years old Written bypepsicola14 April 5, 2011

Really good, just wach it.

I think this show is really good, very funny, it always puts a smile on my face, even on my worst days. The messages are extreamly good, always showing the truth. The role models are really great, there is no one who is, per say, a 'bad' role model. There are episodes where they talk about drug or alchoal addiction, but it far from glamorizes it. If it's about drug addiction, it shows the high, where they act wierd and stuff, but then you see the devistating crash, making it impossible to want to take the drug. Same with alchoal, and teen sex and pregnancy is also not talked about like "everyone should do this, it's great!", it really looks at it for what it is. But, don't get me wrong, it gets in some genuane laughs, even with the super annoying laugh track. So, I think you should wach it, it really helps me just end the day with a smile on my face and a good felling is my heart. Very heart warming, very good acting, wach it.
Adult Written bystargategeek May 5, 2010

Parent of a 4 and 10 year old Written bymom2girls2 January 2, 2013

Too much sex talk for a young child or tween

Quite a few episodes with way too much emphasis put on sex for a young child or tween. In my opinion this series is better suited for the 15 & up crowd. I watched one of the early episodes with my 10 year old and was immediately sorry. Too much information for her age.
Adult Written bymomofAandT April 8, 2010

Teen, 14 years old Written byCallie00 April 9, 2015

A Good Classic TV Show

It's a good classic TV show, IMO. Only for ages 10 and up, though as there is a bit of sex (nothing explicit; just teenage pregnancy, affairs, Alex talks about his "first time", and Mallory is hit on by her uncle), drugs (Alex tries drugs in one episode), and alcohol and other mature themes. However, all of the messages that the TV show taught are very realistic and still ring true today! A bit outdated, yes, but a good classic! What I don't like is how Andrew Keaton seemed to age so rapidly. In one season, he was born, and two seasons later, he was already four years old. :O Also, Jennifer used to be so cute, but she became so awkward and even annoying in the later seasons. :( Other than that, I really like this TV show. :)
Adult Written byLowe's man December 18, 2014

a show for the ages

I put the green light at 11 rather than 8 like you do only because some individual episodes, particularly in the first 2 seasons, are best reserved for kids 11 and up. Having said that, this show is a great introduction to the political world in the 1980s, as there are frequent references to then-current events like Iran-Contra and the 1988 election. Since both parents work and still maintain a strong family and a harmonious home, this show demonstrates that it can be done. Most importantly, everyone in the household respects one another despite their personality differences. The only thing with which eyebrows should be raised regards the episode where Mallory announces that she doesn't want to go to college, but wants to work in a clothing store instead. Elyse, the mother, said, "You can't make a career out of it." Steven, the father, was with Elyse. In other words, their attitude toward working-class jobs is slightly questionable. But again, Mallory's boyfriend Nick makes up for that somewhat. Still, in a way it's disheartening that Mallory, who usually doesn't do well in school, does well when she tries. In itself that's a good message, but it gets taken too far, as there are some kids who don't do well in school no matter how hard they try. The writers could've made Mallory not do well in school no matter how hard she tried, as that's the way it is for some kids in real life. Moreover, almost all tv teens go to college. Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course, but think about teens in real life who don't go to college. How are they going to feel? That's why I feel that Mallory should not have gone, as then real-life teens who don't go to college would not have felt left out.
Kid, 10 years old October 28, 2013

Love it

One of my favorite shows!
Kid, 11 years old April 15, 2012

ok show

This show can be good and not. There are many shows where Alex does things that are funny yet, not good for children
Kid, 10 years old April 7, 2011

Aiming for Tweens

Pretty good show. I think Alex P. Keaton (Michael J. Fox) Is a great role model but has his ups and downs. Great family TV show but you sure need to be 11+ to watch this family show
Teen, 14 years old Written byi heart reading December 28, 2010

great show for familys

This is a great show that sends out useful messages, also even though it was made in the 80's kids will still be able to relate to it today. This is a great show for familys to watch together.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycooldude1234 November 28, 2010

great show on the HUb

so this is best for This show is awesome its educational very funny and it has great role models and messages. Sometimes when I watch it with me my siblings I kinda blush because they mention s** sometimes they also have serious topics like drug addiction and alcohol abuse so I think its best for 10 and up