All member reviews for Firefly

Buffy creator's space Western entertains.

Parent of a 6 year old Written byrachel4missions April 9, 2008

Great Series-- But watch it first and keep the fast forward button handy

This is an amazing series. All the characters are so well-developed it's hard to pick a favorite, and you care about each one after just a few episodes. However, I would not recommend letting your kids watch this with you the first time. I think this is a show best watched with Mom or Dad fastforwarding past a few of the most iffy parts and discussing the show with their kids. Be aware they do 'make up' Bible verses, but it always seems to be the 'bad guys' that do it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byKScottA June 9, 2010

Brilliant show prematurely ended.

It's absolutely incredible that this show made us care about the characters after only 14 episodes in a way most shows never accomplish over the course of 4+ seasons. Incredible, yes, but also terribly sad for fans of the show. Fox prematurely aired the episodes out of order, and then canceled it mid season. The combination of characters, unique writing/story and music score is mostly unrivaled. Recommended to all sci-fi and western fans.
Teen, 13 years old Written byDecalis April 9, 2008

This is the most amazing TV show I've ever seen, or probably ever will see.

This is a portion of the height of science fiction, comparable to Star Wars. Star Wars is an epic and a classic, but there's a lot of black and white. Firefly is done in shades of gray. The primary example of this is that the main characters would be considered crooks by anybody who didn't know them well. They rob, steal, and, more often than not, kill, though not in the sense of murder, more in self-defense. But what it simmers down to is the fact that they're all "just folk", ordinary people trying to get by. There's shooting, stabbing, smashing, exploding, and torture. There's sex, booze, and foul language. But the thing is, none of it is gratuitous, it's all in context. There are powerful moral lessons in it, and it is something everybody should watch, though probably when they're at least 12, because a lot of the jokes don't make sense until you hit puberty... :)
Teen, 15 years old Written byColaProduct December 26, 2011

Why Must the Good Shows be Cancelled Young?

How does one describe Firefly? It was easily one of the best shows to ever grace television, yet it managed to be cancelled after one season. The story is original,but what's truly amazing about it is the character development (mainly in River Tam) and characters themselves. They're not saints. They, as Wash puts it, "rob from the rich and sell to the poor" but ultimately make the right decisions. The crew's loyalty to each other (particularly Simon to River) grows stronger as the show progresses. There's humor, romance, action, and a slight mystery concerning River. My strongest objection would be the sexuality, which, while viewing via youtube, I found easy enough to skip over. Inara is a "Companion" which is a fancy word for a prostitute. It's handled extremely well and plays only a minor part in the episodes. Overall, it's an amazing show that ended much too early. (Also, don't forget to check out Serenity, the movie that wraps up a few of the show's loose ends)
Parent of a 14 year old Written byUnsung Paladin June 26, 2013

West meets... Space?

This show is amazing as far as entertainment value goes but does have negative things parents should be aware of too. There is a lot of sexual material including actual sex scenes (though no nudity is shown) as well as one of the main characters is a prostitute or companion in the show's lingo.
Teen, 15 years old Written bycaptaingabs April 11, 2012

Cancel Glee--Bring back Firefly!

I LOVE FIREFLY! I also LOVE LOVE LOVE Nathan Fillion, so that might be a reason... I still can't believe that they canceled it after only 14 episodes. Bring back Firefly!
Teen, 13 years old Written bytaylorpenny December 28, 2013

Yet Another Example Of Why Fox Makes Poor Decisions

This slice of brilliance was cancelled after fourteen episodes. It has many shootouts. All episodes include excessive violence. There is a small amount of language, and for some reason all of the characters swear in Chinese. There is some sex, but it is easily skipped over. Some scenes take place in bars, and some characters drink. Most of the heroes are criminals. That said, for some reason I find it acceptable for 12 and up. If you think it is not, I suggest watching the episodes first.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byLisette's Mom July 5, 2013

Thrilling Adventure for 16 and Up

Love this show, but given the subplot with the vicious, zombie-like Reevers, and the treatment of prostitutes as socially elite, quasi-spiritual players in this society, I think 16 at the youngest.
Kid, 10 years old May 17, 2013

Really good, but not really aimed for kids.

This show is brilliant, no doubt in my mind, but some of the violence and sex in episodes like Ariel can get a bit bloody. The show also has foul language (however a lot of it is in Chinese). It also has alot of smuggling by main characters. But for mature 10-12 year old kids who are in to sci-fi I say... :).
Teen, 17 years old Written byBooknerd101 March 26, 2013

You can't take the sky from me

Come on. Bring it back please? only season one ever aired... and not all of the episodes!
Teen, 15 years old Written byJames Picard February 7, 2013

One of the Greatest Crimes Against Science Fiction . . .

Was that this show got cancelled early. Joss Whedon created one of the most daring sci-fi shows out there, and it is brilliant. The thing that really makes this show is the characters. All of them feel like someone who could exist in real life, or many years ago. While they may not be the best people, they're just trying to get by. Plus, they all have great chemistry together. One of Whedon's greatest strengths is ensemble casts, and this show is no exception. Everyone has their own unique relationship with everyone else, and they all mesh amazingly. Plus, it's got terrific writing. From the plots to the dialogue, every thing comes out amazing. This show could've been so much, had the chance been taken. But maybe some day, we'll get another movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMegan Hall April 15, 2010

FREAKING AMAZING

LOVE IT! a bit of violence/sex, but I don't think it is enough to make a point of it. Deffinitly my fav show
Kid, 10 years old June 20, 2014

BEST SHOW EVER

I am ten years old and Firefly should not have been canceled it is the best show ever! Has some sex but it’s not too bad. Cool futuristic Sci-Fi western themed show. Has shooting, funniness, some swearing. Other than the sex and little swearing great show. Why must the great die so soon. Overall best show ever. I think it never should have been canceled. Parents should let kids watch it because it it’s just amazing. The doctor is a very good role model but Jayne is not a very good role model. Jayne is not a good role model because all he wants is money. The doctor is a good role model because he gave up everything to save his sister River.
Adult Written by777regina April 13, 2014

I think this TV series is over rated

Though the show was more demonstrative of team work and democracy than for example a Star Trek series, but the weak "positive messages" versus the more so dominating violence etc I would not think it appropriate for children. From a personal opinion I also just don't believe we need another message "glorifying" prostitution instead of teaching our young people the real face of the prostitution and pimp and Human trafficking for sex culture. Our culture will be one of the last to accept the Nordic Model as it does not seem to promote understanding the connection between promoting misogyny and violating of human rights.
Teen, 17 years old Written bySeth S. March 8, 2014

Joss's very best:

It has its flaws. Not really a family friendly show. But my gosh, if it isn't a freight train of amazing content! Highly recommended. 10/10
Teen, 14 years old Written byShane Craig February 15, 2014

WHAT WAS FOX THINKING??

This is one of the best TV shows I have ever watched. Each episode was riveting, exciting and really enjoyable. I wish there was another season! It was just that good that I watched the entire thing in 2 days!!! What is really weird is there lots of crap on the air that just keeps getting renewed for more seasons. Yet this was easily the best NEW show of the 2002-2003 season and it was cancelled after just 14 episodes and it certainly is mind boggling. I just wish there was more episodes. Also, Fox aired them out of order! If you have not watched Firefly, you NEED to. After the first episode you will be hooked. For content: Watch out for some sex scenes. One of the main characters aboard Serenity is a prostitute. There is some space violence. No problems with language or drinking. But this is the best space western there is. This will definitely be high on my list of favorite TV shows!
Teen, 13 years old Written byDavid's Flower November 12, 2013

13 and up

I think Firefly is definitely a brilliant piece of science fiction done by none other than Joss Whedon, but I won't give a review based upon the writer and creator. I personally enjoy Firefly and recommend it to anyone who enjoys science fiction, a variety of characters, violence, action, humor, and can tolerate certain scenes that involve love making (nothing too explicit - it's usually bare backs and shoulders, no more). Firefly follows a war wounded Captain Malcolm Reynolds and his rag tag crew on the space ship Serenity. There are a few good lessons incorporated into Firefly amidst the guns and action, such as loyalty, trust, and friendship. I definitely do not recommend it to anyone under the age of 13 but that is to be left to the parents to decide.
Parent Written byGhostwheel January 23, 2013

Thought provoking, if you're of a mind.

I love this show. I sat and watched it with my children when they were 11 and 13. Some of it was hard to explain to them, but it helped me understand why I like it so much. Set in the future with a frontier flavor, most everything about this show bucks the standards of today. A "Companion" (call-girl, if you will) is an honorable profession. Why not? It's an honest profession. The ship mechanic is a woman, who is played as naive, and yet she can make an engine sing. Don't judge a book by it's cover. The second in command is also a woman, one who looks like she blindly follows her captain. But her loyalty is based on a trust between herself and the captain: they have faced death together and would willingly die for each other. The "bad boy" is just a guy who doesn't get it. He doesn't understand loyalty, people taking care of each other is a foreign concept, but when he messes up, he doesn't want people to think badly of him. Just a like a little boy. The captain has a code, his code. Whether we agree with him or not, you have to respect that he does what he thinks is correct for the situation.The doctor would give everything he has and is to protect his sister. His sister has been experimented on my the government. The Government is portrayed as uncaring about the little people who are not willing to settle for handouts, but want to earn their way. The Firefly crew are portrayed as people wanting to earn their own way, but the government has made that difficult at best. Add in deadpan one liners, great acting, fabulous scripts and story lines and a crew with loyalty that drips off the screen and you have excellent viewing and hours of conversation starters. This show is full of cultural parallels, divergence and anomalies and is an incredible springboard for endless conversations with your children, assuming you don't mind dealing with some of the hard stuff. I do caution that there are a few episodes that deal with sex as a profession and one with torture that I think goes over the top, and you might have a bit of a time explaining the Chinese cursing. For that I caution that parents watch first, then watch with anyone under 16.
Teen, 13 years old Written byginger nerd February 1, 2012

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeest shoooooooooooow Eveeeeer

THIS IS THE FREEEKIN FLYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!! IF UR KID IS LOOKING FOR SOMETHIN' WITH A DYSTOPIAN WORLD, THIS IS THE BEEEEST! but explain to ur kid what a 'companion' is..... But is reeely good show.
Adult Written bybookwormforever September 23, 2011

Awesome show, but not 100% perfect

I think that this is a great show for both boys and girls, though it will probably appeal primarily to boys. The show is basically centered around a crew of space cowboys. There are strong female and male characters. There is the occasional reference to sex (one character is actually a high level "prostitute", but it is handled very classily). One character occasionally swears, but rampant bad language is not present. There are many adventures that the characters go on and a few could certainly spark a disscussion about whether stealing is ever justified. There is a married couple who are very faithful to each other and another young man courts another girl and respects her and her body, rather than trying to sleep. Overall, the issues (language, ect) are much less of an issue than most recent movies and shows. I highly recommend it!