Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Fresh Off the Boat

Fierce memoir about Asian family makes fresh, sweet sitcom.

Adult Written byWisdombody February 23, 2015

Fun and "fresh" but for older kids

I really enjoyed the first 4 episodes with my 10 year old daughter. In the 3rd episode entitled "The Shunning", there was some dialogue about an adulteress being caught on the floor which might go over some kids heads. The word slut was used and a boy rubs a woman's behind which made me slightly cringe.

It was episode 5 "Persistent Romeo" that will force me to pre-screen before I let my daughter watch any more. The subject of sexual harassment took up a bulk of the show and Eddie is teased by other boys about dirty movies. During the ending credits, a puppet uses the male anatomy word p***s and that was it for me.

Entertaining show but the trend seems to be leaning towards raunchier episodes which disappoints me.
Adult Written byJewels06 October 23, 2018

Not Appropriate

I am puzzled at how this show is deemed “perfect for the whole family.” My husband and I were shocked at how inappropriate it is. There are many racial references- like overkill. Women dressed scantily clad, references to breasts, strip clubs and hooters. The main character Eddie behaves badly and makes crude references. There is also a character who is a Lesbian and the show encourages same sex relationship. This show is horrible. The mom is funny but that is about it.
Adult Written byDaddybear36 October 6, 2018

Fresh off the boat

How can a name be not what the show is about, americanize so the are second and third generation. So how can it be fresh of the boat?.
Adult Written byChickenninja55 July 28, 2018

Be careful

My daughter likes to watch this when I’m not around or when she’s at a friends house... this tells me that it is not suitable for her or girls her age as she has to watch it in secret . Be careful....

Adult Written byAlexandre M. February 22, 2018
This show is funny and smart
Adult Written byKjbartolotta August 10, 2016

Great show mixes scatology, diversity, and family values.

For all there is to love about this show, my favorite thing about this show is also what's bound to rub people the wrong way. Fresh mixes a ton of sweetness with a some rude humor and absurdity. I see this as a positive, but as a result the show is not for everyone, and parents are warned to be careful.

Parent of a 9 year old Written byAsh-o October 27, 2015

NOT for famlies

I watched this show for the first time with my daughter who is 9 and son who is 11. I could not believe that they had a teenage girl using the word bitch and she was referring to a boy's "small rocket". The "rocket" was also mentioned earlier in the show discussing what was drawn on her car and describing the penis to the foreign women so that she would understand that it was not a rocket but a penis. I am usually pretty laid back but this is awful!!!!

Parent of a 11 year old Written byzestiemom May 4, 2015

Not the best role models

As an American of Chinese descent, I can honestly say that much of what is depicted in this TV show about the Huang family and their experiences is accurate,although with a comic twist instead of the more sobering reality of being different. And much of what I didn't experience but is featured on this show, I have witnessed myself in my Orange County neighborhood, such as the Chinese Learning Center after-school. Much of this show I found to be very humorous. I have concluded that Fresh Off the Boat is an entertaining vehicle for many Asians raised in America, and for the non-Asian it could be a cross-cultural education. Unfortunately, the positive and educational messages are marred by inappopriate language , especially by the parents. Mom's "HELL, NO!" shows up in numerous episodes, and the father kiddingly namecalls a tennis partner "a- - wipe." As mentioned by a previous reviewer, behaviors, not just words go outside the young child viewing category. While 11-year old Eddie embraces the sexy adult-aged neighbor he lets his hand fall to her behind, to the awe of his peers. The woman looks surprised and takes no action. Inappropriate on so many levels. Eddie talks with a lot of swag and pomp, which is entertaining, but in reality, for a child of any age, to talk to his parents with a prideful attitude is not cool. Anyone with a teenager can tell you they don't want their kids to receive any additional encouragement from TV for their children to behave with [a disrespectful] "attitude. " To do so is NOT an Asian trait. I am very sad that this show was unable to be more family-appropriate so I could watch it with my daughter and talk about my own childhood experiences with racism. It won't be through this show anytime soon.

Adult Written byBigchris February 7, 2015

never even heard of mr wong until now

ok so me and my family were treated to this after the middle Wednesday and for the most part we have found a new family of friends to enjoy together 'mrs . wong kind of bugged me 'but other than that hilarious fun for the whole family eddies mouth kind of got annoying too but I loved the first 2 shows and can't wait for more of the wongs loved the little boys girlfriend as well hope that she stays god luck with trying it for your own family