All member reviews for Friday Night Lights

Poignant football drama scores; OK for teens.

Adult Written byIngrid922 April 9, 2008
Parent of a 7, 11, and 14 year old Written bymorgancharles April 5, 2011

I am an east coast liberal, and my first take on this show was negative--- too southern, too football, too Christian-phony. But somehow it was also compelling. So I watched another episode, then another. And the characters grew on me, and the show deepened (in my mind), and I fell in love with it, and I could not wait to see the next episode and the next episode. I watched all 20 of the first year episodes within a week. And I am going to try to have my wife and teenage daughter watch it too. Alas, because of the fact that some of these highschoolers are having sex, I do not want my 11 year old, let alone my 7 year old to watch it. But if there were not sex scenes, I would have them watch it-- there is other mature content, and some swearing, but nothing my 7 year old could not handle. But I am a bit prudish about the the sex. If you have teenagers (even 13 year olds), I would highly recommend that you watch this together, as a family, and all the way through. The role models are absolutely excellent.
Teen, 13 years old Written byapollo. January 3, 2014

amazing show, iffy for immature veiwers.

Overall friday night lights is a great TV show, with some positive messages. In a couple of the seasons sex is a really big problem though, there's never any real nudity, but teens are seen in bed together, and virginity and sex are both discussed, even though the main characters are still in high school and not married or anything. There is also a lot of underage drinking, and a lot of under armor product placement. As long as your child is mature and able to handle these topics it is an amazing TV show to watch, I watched all 5 seasons within 3 weeks I loved it so much, but why does everyone say 'watch this show with your kids' that just makes it awkward for both of you, thats my oppinion anyway.
Adult Written byhotcat April 9, 2008

I Don't Like It!

I would rather watch ER!
Teen, 13 years old Written bylkay32 January 11, 2014

Great Show About Family, Love, and Friendship

I thought It was a great show that dealed with religion, love family, and friends. There were questionable scenes for kids under 10, but over all it was great. It does deal with some hard subjects like sexuality and abortion. When I first saw this show on Netflix I never thought I would watch a show about a small town high school football team, but once I started watching I realized that it was so much more than that. It was really about family, love, friendship with some football to make it interesting.
Kid, 11 years old June 18, 2013

Watch This Show and You Will Learn a Lot.

Parents, this is a show that you should watch with kids, because it teaches so much about life, love, respect, and compassion. It taught me so much about how humans live their lives. I highly recommend that in some point of your child's life, you should watch this show with them, and help them learn about how to live a good life.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycaskett May 4, 2014

EPIC!!!

I love this show!!! It has great role models and a great message. It has references to sex and virginity. There is also drinking it it. It is in my top five TV show (its behind Castle and Brooklyn 99)!!!!!!!
Teen, 15 years old Written byshesmagic16 July 30, 2011

Football and Much More

I'm not a football fan, and I'm most definitley not a Texas girl. So, what is it about Friday Night Lights that's kept me watching for the past five years? The fact that this show has so much more to offer than just small town football. The show's cast is remarkable in that father and son, could truly be father and son. Coach Taylor and Tami have undeniable chemistry, and portray a marriage that is one of the best to ever exist on TV. Script wise, these Texas teens go through challenges such as rape, life altering injury, teen pregnancy, and alcohol addiction. Friday Night Lights unfolds these plots in the most honest and realistic ways I've ever seen TV do. If you think your child is not yet mature enough to understand these topics, they probably should not watch. Finally, this show is exeptional for its filming. This part is hard to describe because every element of a shot is so thought out and perfect. If this show sounds like something you'd enjoy, I highly encourage you to watch it. It's about much more than football, it's about a Coach trying to turn his team into worthy young men.
Educator Written byLJ09 April 10, 2009

Love it!

Great football action with hard hitting drama! Real life teen issues such as getting into college, relationships and the pressure to win that the players and coaches experience. Yes, it does contain sex and underage drinking but reality is that a large percentage of teens ARE having sex and drinking. I also like the way it also includes storylines about adults, the pressure they feel and how they deal with it. Due to content, I would advise an audience of high school age and up.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycecel July 11, 2015

It's appropriate for 12 year olds

Kids at my middle school from that were 12 or 13 would watch tv-14 shows, so I think it's unappropriate for 11 year olds and under.
Adult Written byyuri13 October 18, 2014

Teen, 17 years old Written bykiddo dog lover March 4, 2013

Good show with adult themes

This is a good show, although has some adult themes. know your child.
Adult Written bycadiomals February 9, 2012

You don't have to like football to enjoy this show

My first impression of this show wasn't great. Since I'm not big on football I obviously wasn't very into the football theme. Being a northerner I wasn't exactly big on the characters' southern mannerisms either. But this first impression changed quite quickly when I watched more episodes and discovered there was much more than just football here. There are deeper themes and story-lines and the characters are very real and really grow on you. As for the kids, there is plenty of inappropriate behavior such as drinking, sex, swearing, etc. so I wouldn't recommend it for kids younger than 13. Despite this there are still a lot of positive messages and good role models to be found. Overall, even though I still don't like football and don't much care for football players, this is an exceptional show that I think a lot of people would like.
Educator and Parent of a 9, 13, and 16 year old Written byEmily Esch June 28, 2011

Conversation-starters for families abound

My husband summed it up best: "I don't like Texas, football, or teenagers, but I love this show." There's definitely sex, drinking, and lots of bad decision-making but the show goes to great lengths to show the consequences of the characters' choices. It's absolutely rife with conversation starters for families, and younger teens will need parents' help processing some of the heavier story lines.
Adult Written bySpartyon June 17, 2011

Friday Night Lights is Touchdown & a Winner

I have been a fan since the series began haven't miss a lot of EP's I own every season on DVD. I read the book & movie as well both pretty good as well worth reading and seeing the movie as well. FNL has a positive messages & good role models as well. As for sexual stuff it is no worse than any other show which I don't mind I'm not a prude like some are which there wrong and there isn't much swearing in the show either. Glad that NBC made a deal to keep FNL on for 5 seasons with the last three seasons making a deal with Direct TV to keep it on the air for that I'm thankful. FNL is a family show.
Teen, 13 years old Written bykummy14 August 14, 2009

GREAT SHOW FOR TEENS

this show is a really nice show with some good football action. there are some scenes that are not appropriate for kids 13 and under.
Teen, 17 years old Written bytankgaski April 9, 2008

Teen, 13 years old Written bynnowgoo April 9, 2008

Teen, 13 years old Written byHOLLISTERshortty April 9, 2008

Nice work!

I love this show. Although I have to disagree with the standards. There are sex acts. No doubt about it. But otherwise it is a great show. [[:
Parent of a 6, 11, and 13 year old Written byj1ferris April 9, 2008

I love the show but parents be warned

Our family as a whole eagerly anticipated this show. Initially, we found it to be a time when our family sat down to enjoy the show together, but that soon changed. The show began to push the edge a bit in terms of the sexual boundaries I feel are appropriate for a show aimed at families. Our 12 year old is so disappointed because we must now record and screen it before deciding whether he can watch it. This show would be fine for older teens(17 or so)and adults as it is a great show, but it is definitely not a "FAMILY" show.