All member reviews for Frontline

Hard-hitting news documentaries for teens and up.

(1 review)
Teen, 15 years old Written bySynchronicity March 18, 2009

Just like any other PBS late-night series: excellent!

Into current events? Well, this show is for you. Frontline is basically a newsmagazine that covers diverse topics. A few: the media industry and teenagers, the use of psychoactive drugs in children, so-called "safe" alternatives to cigarettes, the Iraq War, international healthcare systems, and our bad economy. The appropriateness of Frontline depends on the topic. Some episodes are benign but intense; others are not for anyone under 14. One example of an episode of this caliber is The Merchants of Cool, about the media industry's marketing tactics towards teens like me. Since the entire episode has to do with the teen media of that time period (late 2000-early 2001, I believe), the episode has some pretty offensive content, such as 3 f-bombs (rare for PBS) and some pretty disgusting sexual content. But it's not out of context. That's the thing; any Frontline episode with offensive content never takes it out of context. It's not supposed to titillate the viewer; it's supposed to inform them. Frontline is a good show, and I highly recommend it.