All member reviews for Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Powerful anime explores mature themes with some gore.

Adult Written bymoviemaker201 July 19, 2012

Amazing Alchemists

An adaptation of the popular manga (Japanese Graphic Novels) series "Fullmetal Alchemist," this thought provoking, astonishingly well done and touching anime is jam-packed with positive messages and... thematic elements, which at times can be quite violent. Despite the comedy side to this animated tale of redemption, the tough scenes hit hard. I found myself mourning one of my favorite character's death. It's a story following two brothers, Edward and Alphonse Elric (Vic Mignonga and Maxey Whitehead) in an alternate 1917 where alchemy is being used at war. Their father has left them to join the state alchemists at war, and in his absence, they have studied the age-old art. When their mother dies due to a disease, they decide to revive her using alchemy. They train with a teacher for a year, and attempt to bring their mother back. However, the alchemy fails and goes awry, dissolving Ed's leg and arm, and sucking Al's soul out. Ed uses his blood to put Alphonse's soul in a suit of armor. The series is about Ed (with his new metallic leg and arm) and Al the suit of armor on their quest to bring their bodies back. Ed becomes a state alchemist, and they search for the fabled philosopher's stone, capable of alchemy without sacrifice. In the process, they make a shocking and horrific discovery that will lead them to one more terrifying. Violence : 9/10 Lots of gunfire, slashing, beatings, and gruesome transformations. (For example, a man transmutes his own four year old daughter and dog together to pass an alchemy exam.) Unlike most shows, FMA heavily emphasizes the permanence of death and the horrors of war. A woman is graphically shown being incinerated numerous times. She tries to regenerate, but while she does, she gets burned again. (As she regenerates, we see bones and muscles being grown back. It was hard to watch.) A bad guy is blown up from the inside. (He regenerates in a similar fashion to the burning woman.) The enemies range from the menacing Homunculi, (Humans made by alchemy) to freaky chimeras, serial killers, and souls trapped in armor. Sex: 4/10 Some dresses reveal cleavage. Some partial female nudity that is neither sexual nor graphic. Language: 6/10 Sometimes the characters swear mild obscenities. (D**n, H***, A**, B******. Three uses total of B****) There's a wealth of characters, most of them quite goofy, resulting in numerous high-jinks in the colonel's office. Other than them, most of the main villains are tormented souls, and have some good to them. (Definitely the opposite of Team Rocket from Pokemon.) The ultimate message by the climax to the series is that you should stick to your goals and never give up on them. The other messages that are portrayed are that you should count on your friends for help, and you'll receive it, and that there's a side to every story and that everyone has good in them. The truly wicked will reveal their evil in the end. The ending will shock you, and to sum it up, it's a great story of brotherly love and friendships through tough times.
Adult Written bychristian2011 October 24, 2012

Fantastic Anime, yet alot more darker and violent than the original.

Definitely one of my all-time favorite anime. The plot, character development, and story makes it a lot more better and different than the original. It's a fantastic, action-thrilled anime with shocking and surprising twists from the character, based on the use of alchemy and the homunculus, the antagonists derived from the seven deadly sins, which are lead by "Father", the creator and main antagonist who closely resembles Ed's father. New characters are seen, especially when King Bradley (spoiler alert) is actually Wrath, one of the homunculus, and his son is Pride, a shadow manipulating homunculus. Violence is frequent, and is often very bloody, graphic and brutal, even gory at times; with people (even children) get brutally shot, stabbed, dismembered, burned, beaten, and the homunculus can regenerate/heal themselves from fatal wounds and lost limbs. Language isn't strong, some uses of hell, b*stard, b*tch, d*mn, and very rarely a few uses of sh*t. There is some crude and sexual references in this anime, but mostly for just comic reasons. One of the homunculus has some revealing cleavage, but no nudity is seen in this anime.
Teen, 15 years old Written bymathgirlie May 19, 2012

Absolutely amazing.

Let me start off by saying that FMA:B is the best TV show (anime or non-anime) that I have ever had the pleasure of watching in my entire life. It is THAT good. The plot, the characters, the artwork, the voice acting...it's all astounding, and EASILY outshines the crap that they play on American cable these days. ("Say Yes To The Dress?" *gag*) Age-appropriateness is a debatable subject. As it is anime (okay, okay...it's a cartoon), blood is questionable. Yes, there are scenes with blood. Lots and lots of them. But the blood is cartoon blood, and doesn't really MOVE (behave?) like real blood (i.e; spraying from arteries at impossible angles, characters losing ridiculously large amounts of it and making full recoveries) - with the exception of episode 41, where they did their physics homework. Language really isn't that much of an issue - no major bombs dropped here, and nothing that you don't probably already use in your home. No sex, although Lust (an artificially created human) wears a dress with a low-cut neckline, and there is a scene where Winry starts to take off her shirt (you see the undersides of her breasts), before she notices Ed behind her (with humorous results). In short, this show is amazing and should be watched by anyone who enjoys a good, thought-provoking story that will stay with you long after the final episode has been shut off.
Adult Written byParranormalHour May 18, 2012

Amazing, but the bloodier version

Okay this is the slightly darker version, of the two. It is very violent, and the two main characters life is brutal! I'm going to try and do this without saying any spoilers... There are good role models! Edward and his brother. They are a part of the military or at least Ed is. He fights but for the most part it is about his brother and helping him... He does have issues though for example he wants to protect every one but is a human weapon. And positive messages, FIGHT for what you believe in even if you are fighting a losing battle, it can change, I think everyone sees something else in these brother's story.
Adult Written byhanjiz January 26, 2015

THIS IS AMAZING

Educator Written byLgh123 October 20, 2015

Misunderstood...

C'mon, guys! This is just sad! Are we living in a world where just a little swearing and violence equals innapropriate? This is a fantastic and touching story with dashes of romance, action, and comedy. I'd actually reccomend watching it together as a family as long as your children are mature enough to understand some heavy topics. The one thing this article didn't cover is that there is drugs/alcohol/smoking. Alcohol is mentioned and seen being consumed multiple times and one of the main characters, (he's one of Roy's men) is a big smoker. He's almost never seen without a cigarette. But that isn't bad, I just wanted to mention it for parents who frown upon those things. It's overall a great series, you should give it a shot!
Kid, 11 years old April 14, 2012

I LOVE THIS ANIME!

I am an 11 year old girl and I absolutely LOVE this anime! It does have a lot of fighting scenes and has a lot of blood, but so far it is one of the best animes I have ever watched.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySlipperyQ March 30, 2013

A True Masterpiece

Before I say anything else, I want to point out that I get the feeling CSM did not actually watch the whole anime, as I'm rather shocked that they didn't mention any of the events that occur after the first six episodes. The show is very, very violent; that is true. It's a dark story, and many times more disturbing than it is violent - which is saying a lot. It also contains a multitude of religious themes, often alluding to the mythology of major world religions, in its depictions of the celestial forces that sway the story's universe; I find it very thought-provoking and powerful, but I know there are people on CSM who will be sensative to the sometimes less-then-glamorous depictions of forces like God in Fullmetal. Now, with all that nonsense out of the way: the series is absolutely incredible. I don't throw around the word "masterpiece" very often. And I must say, if you only ever introduce your children to one television program in their lifetimes, I sincerely hope this is it. From the gorgeous musical score to the beautiful artistry, the thematic brilliance to the so-real-they-could-live-next-door characters, this show is everything about animation that is good. The storyline is deep, complex, and truly representative of the human condition. It is one of the most powerful stories I have ever had the pleasure to experience, and will surely envoke strong feelings on every end of life's broad spectrum - horrors that are truly horrifying, passions that are truly electrifying, jokes that are truly hilarious, tragedies that are truly heartbreaking, and heights that are truly magical. Edward (not Edgar) Elric stands out to me as one of the finest characters in any fiction - literature, film, or animation - that I have ever seen; disillusioned but persistent, stubborn but well-meaning, bitter but maintaining some vestige of hope, some reason to move forward. He is everything that a great character ought to be. He is unique in his perspective and personality; he is a methodical, mathematical, scientific mind, with a serious God complex and an aching need to be the biggest and the best. He is capable of unintentional cruelty and often he is rough and angry and mean. He is imperfect and weak and bitter. Even so, he is redeemable; he is talented, and intelligent, passionate and genuinely good at heart; he has an appreciation for the value of human life that is undeniable, and he is utterly incapable of doing anything he does not believe is right; it is impossible for him to put distance between himself and other people, and his love for his family is a bond that drives him into our hearts. In the end, Edward’s struggle is our own struggle, and every step he takes propels us forward. He is one of those people who battles an insatiable craving for the extraordinary, the unbelievable, the impossible- but some things are greater than even he is able to comprehend. His journey is one that touches each of us, because he is journeying into the world of our own nature, but it is he, himself, that makes the story belong to us. The show guides its viewer through a breathtaking, albeit somewhat brutal, portrait of human nature- it's a beautiful story, and it will surely continue to move you, time after time after time.
Kid, 12 years old May 3, 2012

its amazing

positive role models, amazing plot, nice music , a bit violent, and some language.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMusic is amazing September 30, 2012
This is a really amazing anime. The characters are portrayed very well. The plot is very good too. The show does have it's gory scenes though. But if you want a suspenseful show this is where you need to go! <3
Kid, 10 years old May 1, 2012

My favorite anime

My fav ANIME!! this was the show/manga that started my intrest in anime! has lots of violent images but not too much for me (10 year old girl) and by s#x i do not mean tat literally i mean there can be very very VERY suddle kissing. and showing body parts is not a probleme with this anime the only reason it is rated TV-PG14 is becuase of violence and cussing.
Teen, 16 years old Written bythelastpersonalive April 7, 2012

its a great show

I watch the whole series and it is fantastic the animation is great the store is great and the characters are memorable. its great for kids and adults
Kid, 12 years old November 12, 2013

People don't come back from the dead.

*Spoiler Alert* Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is about two brothers who attempted to resurrect their mother from the grave using alchemy, which is a strictly forbidden rule that even the most novice alchemists know. The resurrection didn't work, and the two Elric brothers paid extremely, with the older brother losing his left leg, and his younger brother losing his entire body. Edward, the older brother ties his younger brother's soul to a suit of armor and pays with his right arm. Now, the two Elric brothers Edward and Alphonse, are on a quest to restore their bodies back to normal and live a peaceful life, but they run into all kinds of problems in this humorous yet violent anime full of tragedy and emotion. Yes, people frequently die and murder happens a lot, but this show repeats the fact that People don't come back from the dead. Keep in mind that frequent cursing and smoking take part in Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. Also, there is another show called Fullmetal Alchemist. Take note that this show, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is not a sequel to the original. Fullmetal Alchemist strayed from the Japanese Manga and developed its own storyline, and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood follows the Manga 100%. I suggest you watch both of the series, both Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood and Fullmetal Alchemist are both very entertaining and worth the watch.
Teen, 15 years old Written bynblennon October 24, 2013

Good, but not for the "weak"

This is one of the best anime out there: little sexual content, good story, positive message. There's a LOT of violence, such as limbs being hacked off and blood everywhere. There's quite a bit of language. Every once in a while, a character appears on screen that drinks or smokes, but I don't think it's THAT big of a deal... The only sexual content I remember is one of the characters has midriff showing, another has a dress that has a low neckline, and one line is along the lines of "I always knew you liked them that way" (referring to the large... nevermind, you know of what I speak). It shows the teamwork and brotherly love of Ed and Al, and teaches to fight no matter the odds; fighting and dying is better than dying. It is sad and thought provoking, and it should be shown only to those who like a good challenge. I started watching FMA when I was 9-ish (the original) and Brotherhood when I was 11 or so. It caused me to mature a lot, and realize how evil the world is, and how precious life and family is. Overall, it's a 5 star show. Don't be afraid of the violence or language (have a parent preview it first!). The message is good and outweighs the bad parts of the show. I also think it correctly represents America's current state (aka the state of Nazi German). It takes place during WWI in a different world. There's also a movie called "Sacred Stars of Milos" which is pretty good too. Did I mention the music is awesome? :D:D:D best music from any anime ever.
Teen, 15 years old Written byishaan sharma August 24, 2012

Incredible

Like almost all anime, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is not intended for young children, but should be fine for anyone over the age thirteen. The show is quite violent and bloody, and the characters will often swear. Despite that, it is easily one of the best anime I have seen.
Kid, 12 years old October 18, 2015

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood - Amazing!

This show is amazing! Great, developed characters, an interesting concept and good visuals. The series two main characters, Edward and Alphonse Elrich, are some of the greatest, most sympathetic an interesting characters I have seen to date! The supporting cast, with characters such has Roy Mustang, A military officer, and Winry Rockbell, a mechanic and the boys' childhood friend, are also well developed. Great idea, the concept of alchemy is used extremely well. The animation still holds up by today's standards. Overall, it is a great show that anyone should try to pick up as soon as possible. Note: this series has ALOT of violence. There is blood galore, wounds, splatters and dead bodies. This is definitely a gory show. It also has a lot of dark themes, like death, suffering, etc. So do not show this to anyone under the age of at least 12. Trust me. It will most likely scare and disturb them extremely. Seriously, some of this stuff can be nightmare fuel to younger viewers.
Kid, 12 years old April 19, 2014

INCREDIBLE SHOW!!

I personally loved this show, in every aspect of it, but it could definitely scare some twelve year old kids. It can be very violent at times, but being animated it's not too graphic- blood, and cuts. It can be very emotionally involved though; general Hughes' death was quite depressing as was the death of a little girl. It deals with pretty heavy topics such as war, god, and trying to be anything more than human. The characters are like able, the animation is wonderful, and the music is amazing- it's an all around great show, but it may be too much for some kids to handle.
Teen, 15 years old Written byAnimeFan3000 September 10, 2014

Watch them all! (ex. The sacred star of milos) Part.2 It's not that confusing

(Note: I watched it When I was 13) This is the new FMA that was made in 2009, it is basically the same story as the 2003 series for a few episodes but it's suppose to follow the story of the manga. I prefer this one better just because its message and for some reason I can remember it better (Refer to part.1). It has twists, exceeds to limits I did not expect. But unlike the 2003 series it does NOT have a sequel movie (Refer to part.3) I could go on forever about it but I like to make it quick and not long, all I can say is the pain in life will only make you stronger and give you wisdom as you grow, the show is just beautiful. They show FMAB on toonami ever since it reaired and has ceased to be canceled, so it has repeated maybe 3 times. Watch it, it may change your life. :)
Kid, 12 years old April 26, 2014
this is a great anime and is definitely worth your time. it gets pretty violent but if you can handle violence you'll be fine.
Teen, 14 years old Written bykobaltflame April 25, 2012