All member reviews for Gargoyles

Dark, Gothic action cartoon is OK for tweens.

Teen, 13 years old Written byThreeDaysGracesGirl November 3, 2010
OMFG this is the best show ever! I want Disney to bring it back and bring back ToonDisney!!
Adult Written bybutteruppp April 9, 2008

one of the best animated cartoons that disney had

Teen, 13 years old Written byrebma97 June 18, 2010

Suprisingly good show

I never watched this when it came on Toon Disney but one day I saw it on Youtube. I like the complex tone of it. It might be scary for some younger viewers and too complex. There's lots of violence (including hand-to-hand combat) and even blood in one episode. Some mild romance. One use of "Hell" in one episode, but it's used correctly. Better for older kids.
Teen, 14 years old Written byRockah12 June 7, 2012

Fantastic, but only for the appropriate ages

An interesting, well thought out series based on an intriguing mythology, this series is more for mature teens than anyone else. Most of the lines and story could fly over younger viewers heads, and the violence is somewhat intense. Not overly graphic, but intense. Since the characters are gargoyles, they may frighten younger children. A good show for ten and up, better for high-schoolers because of the rich mythology.
Adult Written bysakuuya October 23, 2009

Character-Driven Disney Cartoon? What?

What a fantastic show. Don't be fooled by its Disney origins; Gargoyles is not a show for young children. The closest possible comparison would be to "Batman: The Animated Series," which shares Gargoyles' dark, serious tone and respect for its audience. Also like BTAS, the Gargoyles universe operates on a slightly grayer morality scale than most children's programming. The heroes always do the right thing in the end, but almost all of the villains are portrayed sympathetically, as flawed people rather than absolute evil. In fact, several of the villains care more about defeating each other than defeating the heroes, giving them yet more dimension. The show is full of mythological and literary references, and it doesn't go out of its way to explain every reference, expecting that people will be able to follow along. The voice acting is also excellent, and fans of Star Trek: The Next Generation will be especially thrilled, as a good chunks of the VAs are alumni of that show. All in all, this is unarguably one of the finest television series Disney has ever produced, and a refreshing antidote to shows that rely on bathroom humor and pop culture references to hold kids' attention.
Adult Written byFreedomFromCens... August 14, 2009

My absolute favorite TV show, and one of Disney's best shows ever. This was before Disney channel turned into garbage.

This was probably Disney's most entertaining and edgy show they ever produced, and yet it has some of the best character development and storyline that I've seen in my entire life. Disney makes plenty of references to their older movies (The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, etc..) in this, which I found very funny and entertaining as well. You'll also find very familiar voices in here that you might hear in places like Spongebob and other cartoons (the actor that plays as Patrick also voices as one of the main gargoyles). Battles, usually with guns or explosives or futuristic weaponry, happen in just about every episode. Very little blood, and only in a few episodes (one of the Gargoyles grabs a sword, and blood trickles down his hand for a moment). Romance is a big theme in the show, but it's one of the things that makes it so much better. This was the good stuff before Hannah Montana, Jonas Brothers, and God-knows-what else talentless-cash-milking scams Disney filled their channel with after the 1990's. The characters developed amazingly well, and they made actually care about what was going to happen to them in future episodes (I in particular fell in love with the red skinned and white-haired Brooklyn, who was always trying his best to win over a female, and saved quite a few, but yet, they would all end up already with someone else, and poor Brooky was left in misery, but always determined). All in all, this is a show you don't want to miss out if you have a kid about 10 or so and older.
Teen, 17 years old Written bydanny 7000 February 28, 2016

gargoyles is not for little kids

i think gargoyles is a amazing show but its not for little kids because it has lots adult jokes like one of the gargoyles says their kinky and one gargoyle said wanna make sparks fly and its really vilonte a gargoyle accidentally shoots a girl with a gun and shes seen on the floor in a pool of blood and theirs some mild swearing like hell with that being said i think gargoyles is for young Teens and i dont reccomend it for anyone under the age of 13
Parent Written byGoombaPizza October 17, 2015

Rich and intense show; will be wasted on young children.

This show is better suited to kids 10 and up at the very least. The story arcs and character development are of a quality that is clearly aimed at a mentally sophisticated crowd, like teenagers, adults and precocious preteens. This is one of the better animated series of all time, and I would speak of it in the same breath as Avatar: The Last Airbender or Cowboy Bebop. Younger children might get bored/confused by the mental involvement needed to keep up with the story and dialogue, or might be scared by the heavy conflict. Also, the story features an amount of deep humanoid tragedy that I personally wouldn't feel comfortable exposing my seven-year-old to, lest he be traumatized. If your child is over 12 or an especially intelligent/mature 10, I highly recommend this show. Very few (none?) of the animated series nowadays feature storytelling of this quality.
Teen, 13 years old Written byDearergoose September 16, 2015

Dark and gothic

This animated series was definitely aimed for the older audience. Gargoyles pushed the envelope for the limited "detail" in kid shows. Like many 90's cartoons a lot of violence was present. Overall great story great writing and great animation you can tell effort was put into this nostalgic series. I even know adults who still watch it! This show was just fantastic 8 or 9+
Kid, 12 years old April 12, 2011

great for everyone who love quality animation

I love this show! this show is old but its soo good, the drawings are so awesome, and Goliath is just so cool. its got lots of violence but nobody seriously hurt ever, my favourite thing about this show is how well drawn it is, its like every episode is work of art