All member reviews for Gilmore Girls

A coming-of-age drama that's great for teen girls.

Teen, 15 years old Written byFromATeenGirlsEyes January 21, 2010

Starts out perfect for tweens, and then grows up with your teen

I started watching this show after school while doing my homework when I was around 12. This show had a huge effect on me. Whenever I felt like there was no way I could get along with the adults in my life, this show was always there to guide me back to believing that our lives were not that different after all. This was one show that I could sit around with my parents and watch, without them complaining about, poor acting, dialog, or just sheer stupidity. The two main characters were actually very big role models for myself, and guided me to try my best in school (such as Rori) but also try to have a good attitude towards life itself. The first seasons I think are great for younger girls. Some of the later ones are a bit more adult, but I grew up while watching this show, so it adjusted with my maturity.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byshertoo May 7, 2011
Teen, 16 years old Written byLoreleilover March 15, 2011

A classic tv show for the ages

One of the best tv shows ever, very very smart, funny, and often very moving. Brilliant writing, acting. Original characters.
Kid, 12 years old August 14, 2010

WATCH GILMORE GIRLS!!!!!!!:)

About 2 minutes into the first episode i saw, i was hooked for life. If your looking for a show to watch with your daughter/or even your husband for that matter, Gilmore Girls is a must watch show. It's a wonderful show about a mother a daughter who battle there wat through love, heartbreaks, and life. But no matter what happens they will always be best friends and will stick together in the end. Gilmore Girls better be number one on you must see list,
Adult Written byRobbruin83 February 19, 2011

Perhaps thé perfect TV-series to get your child(ren) get acquainted with everything that might be called "life"

I have to be honest: the moment I decided to review this brill TV-series, I reckoned it to be fit for ány age. But when I came to think of it deeper, I really came up with the notion that perhaps only teens from 11+ (give or take a year or two, depending on how mature your child(ren) is (are)) can fully appreciate this show. Again, being honest: I reckon this show as not containing things that might shock your child(ren). In fact, in a certain way, all is life-like, but without the sharp edge. Every parent knows that sooner or later his/her child learns about the birds and the bees, and so many other things that may qualify as "that's life". This show might be thé source of all of that for your child. Because it not only shows the nice, fine, and pleasant aspects of it all, it also shows that, like everything, all comes with good ánd bad, thus showing the consequences of it all. For almost everything major happening in this show, there's a balance of 'pro vs. anti', which creates an opening for you and your child(ren) to debate about it, share eachothers thoughts. Below are some topics of the show, followed by the storyline it involves with, and concluding with my review of Talk About concerning that topic. * Religion | Storyline: Lane Kim (Rory's best friend) doesn't believe in anything but music, while her mother is a very strict Korean christian, all of which make Lane turne out to be a very creative girl involving hiding everything; from CDs to (potential) relationships, and from lavalamps to her dreams. | Talk About: how do you see religion, and how does your child(ren) see it? Is there room for personal views, eventhough they may not be the same? * Virginity | Storyline: Rory's friend/rival Paris confesses to her that she lost her virginity, and reckoned it great but weird at the same time. Rory, after Paris asked for her experience, confesses that, although in her second relationship (first being Dean, second being Jess), she's still a virgin, because she doesn't feel 'ready yet'. In a later season, however, she looses her virginity to Dean, who is, at that time, married with another girl. It wasn't a secret, though, that they both still loved eachother, eventhough they were in other relationships. With both situations, the 'no glove, no love' (i.e. do it safe) is emphasised. | Talk About: what does it mean to have sex, and loose your virginity? Is it OK to have sex with someone who loves you, and you love him/her, eventhough one of the involved persons is already committed? Is there a 'wrong vs. right' in such a situation? What may be defined as being 'the right person'? * Pregnancy | Storyline: Lorelai, unmarried, had her child (Rory) when she was a teen. | Talk About: if having sex, what kind of consequences does it may have? * Virginity part 2 | Storyline: Lane Kim falls in love with a bandmate of hers. Eventhough she loves to try everything her mother told her not to, she remains virgin until she is married with this guy from her band, which turned out to be 'the one' for her. She didn't like sex (on her honeymoon), though, and she even praises her mother for making sex sound so wrong, for 'it is'. She turns out to be pregnant of twins, eventhough she used a (discount Mexican), though. | Talk About: this might be THE opportunity to speak about condoms and pregnancy in general; are they safe (enough)? If having sex, what are the basic steps to make it safe? And if something happens, is it something that your child(ren) can say to you? * Relationships | Storyline: Lorelai seems to runaway from the relationships she has with men. | Talk About: is a relationship scary? Why is it/isn't it something to runaway for? Again: what may be defined as 'the right person'? * Family | Storyline: Lorelai has many ups and downs with her parents, and although she and Rory are mostly girlfriends first and parent-child later, they also have some highs and lows during the 7 seasons. Another example is Lane Kim; coming from a strict Korean family, during the seasons she and her mother get estranged from one another, though they ultimately seem to share a relationship nearly as close as Lorelai and Rory seem to have, being able to talk with eachother as full-grown adults.| Talk About: what does family mean? Is there a point in which you and your child(ren) can see eachother as fully-grown adults/human beings?What might mark that point? Is everyone allowed to have his/her own ideas? * Social status | Storyline: The parents of Lorelai, Richard & Emily Gilmore, are of a certain high-class society, which is something that Lorelai just wanted to escape, because of its many rules and etiquette. In later years, she does her best to be 'working-class', for 'high-class' stands for strings and etiquette, and 'working-class' stands for indepence. | Talk About: what are the social classes in society? Are there many differences? Is a certain social class happier or unhappier, or even better off/ not better off than another? Are there simularities in how social classes experience life? And there are many other topics in this show that create a great opening for you and your child(ren) to talk about! My reason for giving it an "On for 11+" rating: there are so many references in this show (from film to music, and from TV-series to TV-personalities), that even many adults don't understand it all. However, the topics in this show should be seen by 11+ children, for it gives them a (for parents) safe glipmse of the teenyears that are ahead of them. I also would like to mention, though, that it depends per child; if a child is 10, but very mature for his/her age, then he/she might like it, but if a child is 13, but not as ready, than I would hold it of just a bit. It does, however, involves the objective common sense of a parent.
Adult Written byloserforChrist9028 March 25, 2013

Good show for teens and up, but not bad for preteens

I've always loved Rory and Lorelai's relationship. It reminds me of my relationship with my mom; we've always been like best friends, but she's my mom first. While the show isn't perfect, and neither is Rory and Lorelai's relationship, it does set a rather good example of the kind of relationship people typically want with their parents: both a parent-child relationship, but also able to be like friends when appropriate (such as when spending the day together to bond). The show does have some language, but nothing that teens don't already often hear; the language doesn't get excessive, though. The show also addresses underage drinking, so it does of course show some drinking. And it also addresses first times, shows couples kissing, and what not; but it's never excessive or explicit, sexual situations are just implied or talked about. So overall, I think it's a really good show and it appropriate for maybe high school and up, not as much for middle school...but that's up to the parent. **I started watching the show as a child (like elementary/middle school), but I never had any negative consequences of that. I turned out just fine. The show has many good lessons and I don't think it'd be a bad thing for people younger than high school age to watch it from time to time.
Teen, 16 years old Written byxmolly January 21, 2013

The perfect show for young girls

I think this is a show that all girls should watch. I honestly don't even think it would be a problem if a 7 year old watched it, I really don't. It's a VERY warm and wholesome show with good lessons, witty humour, and great role models. Yes, it's about a young mom and her daughter. Her teenage pregnancy is touched on quite often, but Lorelai has a heart of gold and her daughter Rory is an angel. I think shows like Spongebob are more damaging because it's mindless television. Gilmore Girls is just an amazing show. I live in the town Stars Hollow is very closely based on and it's just like it. Maybe that's why GG is so close to my heart.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAdventr is out there November 4, 2012

Know what your kid can handle...

GREAT show! My mom and I even got my dad into it. :) while this show is great there is some iffy stuff... I started watching it in 7th grade which is great because that's when you start being aingsty, if you know what I mean. but I say 7th grade is great for it. but start in the fall! gilmore is such a fall show. :)
Teen, 14 years old Written byajw1234 March 19, 2011
Teen, 14 years old Written bylivvy314 February 6, 2011

A classic

Gilmore Girls is a great show for anyone and everyone. I fell in love with it when i was eleven. I now own all seven seasons because we gave them to my dad for Christmas, my whole family is in love with Gilmore Girls, and any girl that I have introduced to this show, has been hooked on it from then on. It's a witty, charming, funny, sweet, heartfelt show about a single mom and her daughter and the struggles the mom and daughter go through together. It's such an original series, especially because of the relationship between Lorlei and Rory (the mother and daughter) Lorlei is this hip and cool mom, but she still plays the mom card (as she calls it) when needed. and rory is an intelligent young girl, who sometimes is more mature then Lorlei, but who still makes mistakes and needs Lorlei there for guidance. The rest of the cast on the Gilmore Girls makes the show and rounds it out to be a classic. A must see for anyone and everyone. Trust me, if you give this show a try, you won't ever stop loving it.
Parent of a 1, 3, 13, and 16 year old Written byNikkiV June 2, 2009

A great gift for any girl

I'm getting this box set for my little sister for her birthday because I loved watching this show as a teenager. It's a wholesome show that girls can really grow up with.
Kid, 12 years old March 20, 2015

It's well done

It is a great show for any kids 12 or older. I enjoy it myself greatly. It has certain questionable things here and there, but nothing overwhelming for a 12 year old, and no violence whatsoever.
Teen, 15 years old Written byalyssa00 February 21, 2015

My favorite show!!

I love Gilmore girls!! Its my favorite show. I watch it with my 12 year old sister and mom, we all love it. The earlier seasons are appropriate for 10 years old but after season 4 its more for 12 or 13 year old
Kid, 10 years old February 15, 2015

Mature but amazing

I am ten years old, I watch this show and I'm fine. However watch out for unexpected sexual content; I recommend ages 11 and up with parental guidance, considering Loreli and her boyfriend make out a lot. Very positive messages. I love Rory and Loreli's mother daughter relationship! It is a dramatic show and will keep you entertained. Yes, there is some language, but it's nothing a 5th grader hasn't heard.
Teen, 15 years old Written byTaylorsadvice_ January 12, 2015

Great show for tweens, matures in later seasons

This is a great show to watch with your daughter or for anybody to watch alone. The environment is great and the characters are good role models. The swear words are very tame. Later in the show the word bitch is used, but that is in practically every non-children's show. The show has a great message and will teach your child to do the right thing. An 11 year old will be fine watching this. By 11, every kid knows about the amount of sex, language, or anything else in this show whether you are aware of it or not. Teaches kids about love, family, and growing up.
Adult Written bySamanthamaster1 December 16, 2014

I'm not into teen dramas.

Personally, I wouldn't watch this, but, at-least I respect this show, because, they teach kids about teen issues in a responsible way and the main character, a teenage girl, is a good role model, because, she has a close relationship with her mother, which would be strong female role models for young girls. I recommend this show for children ages 15 - 24, even better than Degrassi. I wouldn't recommend Gilmore Girls for children younger than 15, because, most of them are not even in high school yet and this seems more of a high school and college kid show.
Kid, 10 years old December 2, 2014

Nice!

Teen, 17 years old Written byKateeRose February 4, 2014

Amazing show with good messages

This became my older sisters favorite show, and I started watching it with her when I was 10! And I'm glad I did, because it was such an amazing show to watch growing up! Rory is an amazing role model for young girls, but always remained a very up-beat fun and interesting character to watch! This show is great for girls heading into their tween and teen years, because the plot lines set good examples and can be very inspiring. Especially to the fact that even though Lorelia had Rory very young, she worked very hard to get a good job and live a stable lifestyle, while raising a kid on her on. Its a warm hearted show that circulates around a close and inspiring relationship between a mother and daughter, that has been dear to my heart for the past 7 years! I love this show so much, and hopefully generations and generations will watch and experience it as well. Highly recommend for age 10 and up. Even though later seasons can get a bit more mature, its nothing that can't be censored or tolerated.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byCalifornia parent December 18, 2013

College-age topics from a college coed's perspective

Well done show, but it's worth noting that the show is largely from the perspective of Rory, a college-age girl. As such, many of the episodes cover college-age topics, including sex, alcohol use, and more. Usually done in a sensitive, positive manner, but I don't really think it's a good fit for many "tweens" who would probably be better served with shows more focused on middle school and high school.
Kid, 12 years old June 20, 2013