All member reviews for Glee

Edgy-but-quirky comedy's music, message will win teens over.

Teen, 16 years old Written byGirlie257 November 11, 2010

Amazing show with a great message

Great show by far. If you think this show is inappropriate, your kids talk swears and sex at school and if your trying to keep the content hidden from them , your not really doing anything because kids talk about sex all the time! It's better they hear it from u then the kids on the bus. Also , being immersed in diversity is better than hiding out all gay people. You will never know or understand anything about life by not being immersed in other cultures. Shame on you for not letting your kids watch this.
Teen, 15 years old Written bymicah251 October 29, 2010

I hate how adults think all teenagers are stupid. Sure, there are some dumb teens, but most of us have a good head on our shoulders. Just because we see something on tv, doesn't mean we think we should do it. Anyways, If you have a teenager, I wouldn't try to control what they watch. You need to let them be make their own decision because at this point in time, it doesn't matter what you say. You have to trust you raised them with good morals and pray for the best.
Parent of an infant year old Written bymarie_ October 1, 2010

It has just become too raunchy. Too bad.

Was watching it last night (the "brittany spears" episode") with our 13-year-old girl, and turned it off after the glee club Brittany's laughing gas-induced dream seduction of her dentist. NEVER to watch it again. This was after we suffered through watching another glee club member tell the visiting dentist at school, "you are so hot, seriously, you could drill me any time." I was sick of it by then, and we just turned off the TV after the dream scene. It is just not worth it.
Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written bychris2400 December 15, 2010

No longer let kids watch

I personally love to watch Glee. My family ;has watched it since the beginning. It was a very difficult decision but we no longer allow our kids to watch the show. My kids are 10 & 12. When the kids agreed that the show had become too sexual I knew I was doing the right thing. The funny thing is that most parents I talk to have a problem with the open homosexuality. I personally think they protray that story line in a very classy way. It shows just how difficult a high school teen's life is when dealing with the issues. It is the story line between the the two cheerleaders, Miranda and Brittney that is outrageous. These girls make out together and give eachother hickeys just because they are bored. They openly have sex with others for power, popularity and just because. My kids love the music but the show it just too inapporporate for the "family hour" . This show should be at 10pm. There is as much sex on this show as Grey's Anatomy.
Kid, 12 years old November 27, 2010

As long as you are mature..it is ok

Glee is great. There are many positive messages like, on gay bullying, dating,and just life in general. But there are some sexual content that may not be appropriate for YOUNG children. MY mom watches it with me and if there are any subjects that are a little more mature she wil talk to me about it. As long as you are mature I think it is ok.
Parent of a 6, 11, 13, and 16 year old Written bySimplify September 14, 2010

Where have our family values gone?

I think this is an evil show wrapped in a candy coating. It is suggestive, inappropriate, and appalling. I can't believe that our society is celebrating this type of adult behavior in a teen setting! It seems like nothing is off limits if it's sung to a show tune!
Teen, 13 years old Written bywritergirl8 July 8, 2010

Subtly Scarring

I absolutely love Glee! I have been watching it from day one, and am currently pining for it :) I'm 13 years old, and I guess I'm pretty mature for my age (or so adults tell me) so it wasn't a stretch for me to watch Glee. A small issue is a wife deceiving her husband for a very long time about having a baby, and blackmailing a pregnant teen into giving her the child. There is also a lot of drug and alcohol talk in the earlier episodes of the first season. The main issue for me is sexual content. While I watch movies like Moulin Rough and TV shows like Friends, I kept on feeling a little bit nervous about my mom making me leave the room, which I absolutely hate. There was a storyline where a male character talks about sleeping with mothers after cleaning their pools, talk of sexting, a pregnant teenager, two cheerleaders who are possibly bisexual and do make out with each other (but not on screen, they briefly discuss it) and virginity is a HUGE thing on this show. While the earlier episodes are much more iffy then later ones, the Power of Madonna episode is completely about characters loosing their virginities, and two of them (who are in love with each other but not actually together) lie to each other about going through with having sex. One of them did, and said they didn't, the other one didn't and said they did. There is also a 30-something year old virgin. Parents need to know that sex on Glee is treated alarmingly casually, except by the pregnant teenager's parents, who are terrified at the thought of their child not being celibate. While teens are not SHOWN having sex, they are shown making out. Married couples, however, have sex more then teens do on this show. The raciest part of the whole show- in my opinion- was in the second episode of the first season, when they sang 'Push It' by Salt and Pepper. While that WHOLE episode was racy (seconded only to the Madonna episode. Or maybe tied by it), the 'Push It' scene showed teens in very sexual positions (while they had their clothes on) and might be a extremely informative to a teen or tween. One of my friends' parents quoted the scene to be 'Oh, so wrong but oh, so funny'. Also, a gay character is seen with paper sticking out of his zipper (purposely) he flaps it up and down at one point during the song. Other than the blatantly sexual stuff, there's lots of innuendos. I would say that they are reasonably easy for a young child to guess, and therefor the show would be subtly scarring. While Glee is alright for a mature teenager (by mature I mean responsible 13, any 14), keep kids twelve and under away from it, or else it will be all too informative and a little scarring to them, as well. I know this for a fact because of a few of my younger friends were pressured by siblings and other peers to watch it when it was not right for them, and they were a little disturbed by the show. Unfortunately, the plot line is deliciously addicting, and leaves you wanting more, even if you know you shouldn't be watching. It's a fact.
Adult Written byKenAdams November 10, 2010

Not meant for children!

Do other parents realize that this show is meant for teenagers? This isn't the Brady Bunch people! The show is about sex, drama, and music- which is what teenagers love! It is not a family sing-a-long! The outrage in my community about the same sex kiss is ridiculous! The show has a gay main character, anyone with even a remote understanding of stories could figure out that Kurt would get a boyfriend and as a progressive show highlighting the effects of homophobia that would have same sex kissing! Wake up people! The show has slutty cheerleaders, swearing, sex, drug use, teen pregnancy, and rock music! Stop complaining and become better parents with a clue!
Kid, 12 years old October 19, 2010

used to love it- no I'm appalled by the show

I know I'm just a 12 year old but please- take 2 seconds to listen to me. My dream is to be on Broadway so of course in the beginning I loved the show. I began to see more and more bad parts - just minor- scattered about the show. The first episode of season two was horrible. I was shocked at how inappropriate the dancing was ! Hollywood is purposely little by little is putting bad messages, bad language, and immorality so parents will think, " Well there's only a little bit of bad "... trust me this show is turning into a trap for teen because they cover up the devilish messages ect. with hilarious comments, jokes, and awesome songs and dancing. I won't lie, those things are what is pulling teens from 12 on up into it. This is my opinion, I'm not bashing anyone who loves the show, i'm just sharing my opinion.
Parent of a 6 and 13 year old Written bymaplehamster September 9, 2009

Disappointing focus on sex

Loved the first one, this 2nd episode is totally inappropriate for my 13-year-old son because of the sexual content. I am so disappointed.
Teen, 13 years old Written by0hMyGlee November 19, 2010

AMAZING

This show is amazing just epic :D
Kid, 11 years old April 22, 2010

Perfect for Any One Over 8

LOVE IT Great show only thing to worry about is sex reference.
Teen, 15 years old Written byWriterGurl24 January 30, 2011

Subject matter; why is it being ignored?

Yes, the songs are upbeat, cutely done, and whatnot. But in all honesty, the show is just okay. I have plenty of friends, sure, who think the show is "amazing" but have you seen the themes? I've only seen one or two shows, but I was astonished at the subject matter. There was a character who got his girlfriend pregnant and his parents were okay with it, steamy makeout scenes, and not to mention the awkward scene in between a teacher and student singing a romantic duet to eachother it had me just SQUIRMING. I really think that before any adults assume the show is all kid friendly and whatnot, they should watch it themselves.
Parent of a 8, 11, and 13 year old Written bysjohn October 29, 2010

I loved Glee up until this season. I found it is over the top and would not recommend it for any age, especially young teens. Yes, the music is great, and most parents will let their children watch it because of the music and its quirky humor. However, the main characters have been switching partners so often this season, they are not really good role models anymore. There is a lot of sexual experimentation going on this season, do our children really need to be subjected to this on TV, when it is so embedded in our culture. I am done with Glee, I can not condone watching it even for myself anymore. It's too bad it had to go down the path of other popular tv shows, I used to love it because it was so different.
Parent of a 12 and 14 year old Written byanneomaly October 1, 2010

Season 1 wasn't too bad, and my daughter was looking forward to Season 2. Watched the first episode, and I was disappointed with inappropriate sexual content. Episode 2 (Brittany Spears episode) was disgustingly sexual - my 14 yr old turned it off of her own accord and expressed her disappointment. It just makes me sick because I know young girls love to watch this show, and it would be a great platform for positive messages. Instead, we got over-sexualized fantasies (dancing, lyrics, lines spoken) more appropriate for 20-something men. Shame on them.
Teen, 16 years old Written by62Cadence62 February 28, 2012

Cruel and Hurtful with Dangerous Overreliance on Stereotypes

While the show's content (sex, alcohol, ect) is appropriate for teens, the show abuses stereotypes and can be very hurtful to anyone who is pretty much anything, (gay, black, jewish, disabled). There is not a single character who slightly breaks his/her stereotype down to the way the dress and their mannerisms. The main gay character is interested in fashion and musical theatre in a drastically overexagerated way, the lesbian is mean, the blonde is incredibly dumb, ect... However, the most offensive stereotype is Sugar, a character with Aspergers who is portrayed as worthless. She is the first character to be refused acceptance to the Glee club because she can't sing, and she is protrayed as annoying, and it is stated that no one loves her except her parents. I have a friend who has cried over this character, because she has Aspergers and those three things are her greatest insecurities. Also, there are no truly good role models, as everyone except Kurt drank at that one party, and then Kurt had sex, and none of the teachers have it together enough to be truly admired, they have too many of their own issues.
Parent of a 17 year old Written bylikethewatch May 26, 2011

"Glee" makes me a little sad

The "Glee" kids are all stereotypes, with just one of each high school archetype. The bullying is shocking: slushee drinks are thrown in unpopular students' faces, the gay kid is thrown in a dumpster repeatedly, and these injustices are taken in stride. No one gets suspended, and the victims always have a wardrobe change stashed away, because this is a musical. The adults' behavior is no better: Sue, the cheerleading coach, is like the Devil testing "good guy" teacher Will Shuester. Even he shows terrible judgment. Sexual stereotypes are allowed to persist, even while the subjects of the episodes are *about* things like gender inequality. This is a fantasy, with a lot of risque behavior, poor judgment, and the use of diverse people as props supporting the main story lines, which are, as always, about the white, heterosexual kids' romances. Even the performances hold up an unrealistic standard: you can tell they're Autotuned. In a real glee club, you have to actually hit that note.
Adult Written byDogcrazed February 22, 2011

Everything has to be about sex these days...

Really don't like it, used to watch it in chorus class. I find it to be over-dramatic and over-sexual. It seems like the song and dance idea would be fine, but they have to get their sick kicks in and way too sexual.
Parent of a 1, 4, 6, and 8 year old Written byUTMomof4 February 3, 2011

WAY too much teenage sexuality!

Many of my parent friends enjoy Glee, so I thought I'd give it a try. I rented the first disc of the first season from Netflix. I watched it alone, I figured even my 8 year old shouldn't watch it, since it's a series by the FOX network. I was shocked and dismayed by the content! WAY too much teenage sexuality. That whole part of the cheerleaders and boys grinding against balloons between each other, waiting for the balloon to pop was just way too gratuitous, even for me. I would be afraid that if my kids were high-school age and watched it, they would think that kind of behavior is o.k. I don't even want to watch that type of stuff. I stopped watching it halfway through that episode and returned the disc, and cancelled all the rest of the Glee discs from my queue. Not something I'll watch or EVER let my kids watch.
Kid, 11 years old December 29, 2010

Some on, Some iffy, Some off

I'm only allowed to watch some episodes, because some are really inapropriate, but some episodes like the Christmas special, isn't all that bad. But there was one where it was REALLY inappropriate and it was new so my parents let me watch it, yeah, it was AwKwArD! But some of the people in the glee club can be good role models by sticking to what they love even when they get slushied! But just because I say that, doesn't mean that you should let any child in the age group of 0-9 watch this, and if you do, make sure to watch the episode first!