All member reviews for Glee

Edgy-but-quirky comedy's music, message will win teens over.

Teen, 16 years old Written by62Cadence62 February 28, 2012

Cruel and Hurtful with Dangerous Overreliance on Stereotypes

While the show's content (sex, alcohol, ect) is appropriate for teens, the show abuses stereotypes and can be very hurtful to anyone who is pretty much anything, (gay, black, jewish, disabled). There is not a single character who slightly breaks his/her stereotype down to the way the dress and their mannerisms. The main gay character is interested in fashion and musical theatre in a drastically overexagerated way, the lesbian is mean, the blonde is incredibly dumb, ect... However, the most offensive stereotype is Sugar, a character with Aspergers who is portrayed as worthless. She is the first character to be refused acceptance to the Glee club because she can't sing, and she is protrayed as annoying, and it is stated that no one loves her except her parents. I have a friend who has cried over this character, because she has Aspergers and those three things are her greatest insecurities. Also, there are no truly good role models, as everyone except Kurt drank at that one party, and then Kurt had sex, and none of the teachers have it together enough to be truly admired, they have too many of their own issues.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBanana21 June 24, 2011

Give It a Chance

Season 2 does have sex in it, but not extremely disturbing sex. There is suggestive dancing and kissing, but if you raised your kids right, they should look past that and only see the good of the show. I watch it because I am inspired by the messages, love listening to the songs, and enjoy the characters. Everyone had different opinions, so I think you should watch more than one episode before labeling it as a terrible show.
Parent of a 17 year old Written bylikethewatch May 26, 2011

"Glee" makes me a little sad

The "Glee" kids are all stereotypes, with just one of each high school archetype. The bullying is shocking: slushee drinks are thrown in unpopular students' faces, the gay kid is thrown in a dumpster repeatedly, and these injustices are taken in stride. No one gets suspended, and the victims always have a wardrobe change stashed away, because this is a musical. The adults' behavior is no better: Sue, the cheerleading coach, is like the Devil testing "good guy" teacher Will Shuester. Even he shows terrible judgment. Sexual stereotypes are allowed to persist, even while the subjects of the episodes are *about* things like gender inequality. This is a fantasy, with a lot of risque behavior, poor judgment, and the use of diverse people as props supporting the main story lines, which are, as always, about the white, heterosexual kids' romances. Even the performances hold up an unrealistic standard: you can tell they're Autotuned. In a real glee club, you have to actually hit that note.
Parent of a 1, 4, 6, and 8 year old Written byUTMomof4 February 3, 2011

WAY too much teenage sexuality!

Many of my parent friends enjoy Glee, so I thought I'd give it a try. I rented the first disc of the first season from Netflix. I watched it alone, I figured even my 8 year old shouldn't watch it, since it's a series by the FOX network. I was shocked and dismayed by the content! WAY too much teenage sexuality. That whole part of the cheerleaders and boys grinding against balloons between each other, waiting for the balloon to pop was just way too gratuitous, even for me. I would be afraid that if my kids were high-school age and watched it, they would think that kind of behavior is o.k. I don't even want to watch that type of stuff. I stopped watching it halfway through that episode and returned the disc, and cancelled all the rest of the Glee discs from my queue. Not something I'll watch or EVER let my kids watch.
Teen, 13 years old Written bytheoffice January 5, 2011

First of all, I don't watch Glee regularly and I haven't seen it a TON of times. But for this one, I really think that deciding whether or not to let your child watch Glee depends greatly on your parenting. If you're a strict parent, or laid back, etc. It's a hard one for me to review when I think it's really just up to the parent to judge if it's too much for the child, and they're just not ready for it.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byAstrid12 November 21, 2010

Neat little show about the troubles of high school

This show is rather smartly written and contains several messages that mean well. The music is rather good too. Younger kids probably won't even get it but those beginning to grow will find it rather helpful.
Parent Written byMommaOfAngels November 19, 2010

I think for 14 and older is a good age for this show. Due to some of its sexual dialogue13 is a bit iffy, maybe if you watch as a family to go over some of the risque topics after. I think parents should really watch a FEW episodes before determing wether you want you tween to watch.
Parent of a 14 year old Written byDaddyFlip October 10, 2010

Musically fun with positive messages that shine

I read some of the other reviews before posting and I agree with most of the disappointed reviewers about the escalation of sex. I saw this show for the first time just recently and it was DVR from April, so I guess I'm starting somewhere in season two. I'm watching with my daughter who hasn't seen all the episodes, but more than I have. Yes, there are topics that I wish we didn't have to deal with for TV entertainment, but they are out there in the real world; I'm just glad they are not overly glorified or totally off base in their view of them. Our society will continue to misuse and glorify sex for wrong and selfish reasons, so learn to deal with it. The music is great! The acting is pretty good- it's an offbeat, modern take on the traditional musical. The pressures on high school students are fairly portrayed. I think it would be a better show if the parent's/teacher's lives weren't so transparent- I never knew anything about my teachers (25 years ago!). So, it's somewhat entertaining and edgy for high schoolers, but nowhere near as bad as "Secret Life of the American Teenager" which is banned at my house. There are positive messages that shine through the dicey situations.
Adult Written bystrawberryluva23 September 28, 2010

Crappy show.

I used to love Glee. The wise cracks of Sue Sylvester, the awesome remakes of great songs, the outcasts that were cool. But the second season is way inappropriate. Way too much sex and bad messages. And it's also a dumb show now! It started getting a bit lamer in the second half of the first season. Now it just sucks. So, I don't recommend it at all.
Adult Written bymaddygmoo September 19, 2010

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

I lovee this show! Dont miss it!!
Kid, 12 years old September 10, 2010

Ummmm....

Oh, my, isn't this possibly one of the best shows on television? Matthew Morrison, oh, that darned Matthew Morrison...and Jane Lynch, too! Isn't she just hysterical?
Teen, 13 years old Written byJessEkah47 June 21, 2010

The basic Fact. Is your child ready for Glee ? Only YOU know the answer.

Yes this show is very entertaining. It takes amazing songs and puts a twist on them. It has some good role models and some bad. Your kids will fall in love with this show. It is okay for them to watch IF they know what they need to know. It all depends if they know premarital sex is wrong. do they know Alcohol and cursing is wrong? The real question is, have you prepared them, to be mature enough, to know right from wrong, and trust that they wont go out and do these things. No matter how many reviews you read about what age they should be allowed to see this show , you should be reviewing your kids. Its just like a drivers liscense. Its not a law you have to give it to them at 16. Review them, make sure they know whats wrong and how how to drive, make sure they can handle all the stresses of traffic, road rage, texting, music to loud ect. So is this show okay for YOUR kids to watch. The true answer lies beneath you and your kids. Its up to you to get the point of right from wrong across and there is your answer. Plus this show is a great communication for education show. If you child has a question about something it wont be as awkward as if you had to just tell them because they needed to know, you would get the response "Eww I didnt want to know that ?" if you just told them during that "talk" but this show opens up opportunities to communicate with your child. Hope this helped, :)
Teen, 14 years old Written bykrazypanda411 June 9, 2010

Finally a show for a family with teens

It's part drama but these actors have TALENT. It is a great show that shows conflicts and as someone who has lived in a small town in Ohio, it's pretty realistic. There really are these stereotypes and heirarchies. Although the teacher characters aren't always so realistic. I LOVE THIS SHOW!!
Kid, 12 years old May 10, 2010

Great Show, Hilarious, Great for anyone 12+

This has to be my favorite show on TV right now--it's just well rounded in every aspect. The singing is stellar, the dances are decent and the acting, although slightly cheesy, is fantastic. (this is understandable being that many of the cast members are far more used to theatrical acting where everything is bigger) I currently watch this show alone. Loving theatre myself, this show caught my interest from the start, but I didn't know it would be as "iffy" as it is. Iffy being that it touches on some innapropriate subjects that kids even my age may not be comfortable with. I'm not very immature and my parents trust me watching a show like this myself, but not all parents are likely to do so. I would preview one of the episodes first before allowing your son/daughter to watch it without supervision. Honestly, though, the subjects this show brings up are being talked about earlier and earlier between people over the years, and I think it's this show gives positive messages about them to keep teens safe in the long run. I would definitely reccomend this.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byilovebamboo April 2, 2010

HSM with It's Lunch Money Stolen

Before letting your children watch this show, you have to figure out if they are mature enough.But, as a rule of thumb, it's not for children under 12. They mention of alchol, drugs, and sex often. But, if you have teens who love music, this is the show for them!
Teen, 16 years old Written byvampiregirl803 January 5, 2010

I love this show!! Its very addicting and they are all fantastic singers
Teen, 15 years old Written bykatiemay017 December 13, 2009

GREAT SHOW 12+

GREAT SHOW! love the characters and the tension between the teachers emma and mr. Shuester (who is married) the singing is cool and so is everything else. WATCH IT!!!
Teen, 15 years old Written byShinigami1994 October 22, 2009

Hilarious, but sexual.

First thing that I want to get across is that this is not the incredibly tedious and disgustingly innocent High School Musical. You can tell this because if you paid any sort of attention, you would notice that this show is (appropriately) rated TV-14. This is for sexual actions and dialogue. However, this show has wonderful songs, complex plots, and deals with problems that every high school student has to deal with. Some characters have cartoonishly augmented personalities, but it's all for humor. There is a reason why this show is so incredibly popular. Give it a shot, but know your kids.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byWi Mom September 10, 2009

DO NOT let your tweens, or even 14 yr olds watch this show!

As a parent of a 10 yr old, who was thrilled with the idea of seeing a show about High Schooler's singing and dancing, I was apalled at the content of the show. This show is NOT to be aimed at even real high school kids. If this is REALLY the way things go in high school, I guess I will be home-schooling! This should be a 9pm Centra show, and not 8pm! Get real!
Parent of a 14 and 17 year old Written byHaley Wright March 29, 2015

Great Show

I think its a really great show and the most important thing in letting your child watch this is knowing your child and knowing what she/he is okay with and what you are okay with.