Edgy-but-quirky comedy's music, message will win teens over.

Educator and Parent of a 7, 11, and 14 year old Written byEmily Esch November 5, 2009

Great opportunity to discuss consequences and identity!

I'm obsessed with Glee! I wish a show like this had been around when I was a musical theater nerd in middle and high school. Yes, the themes are mature (a high school student is pregnant, many of the characters are manipulative and dishonest) but it offers a great opportunity to discuss these tough issues with your kids, so watch it with them! It definitely highlights how choices and actions have consequences, and the themes aren't exactly uncharted territory for most middle schoolers. It's also loaded with great messages about carving out your own identity despite pressure from peers.
Kid, 12 years old November 3, 2009

Best Show On EARTH

I think this is a really great show. It's true that there is some sexual stuff in it, but it's not really too much for a MATURE 12 year old. I think we can all agree parents are being way too overprotective. Kids our age aren't clueless about all that stuff,in fact, we know all about it. The stuff we hear at school is way worse-but it isn't like we are going to come home and when our parents ask about what we talked about in school we say oh we were talking about...(well you get the point there.) There isn't really any violence or anything, the language isn't so bad, (once again, we hear way worse at school) & I think that there is a positive message about being yourself and following your dreams and stuff. (To tell the truth it is a bit like High School Musical...) And you can't really expect us to watch all those kiddie shows. To tell the truth, most 12 year olds just don't really find the shows meant for kids with no stuff about sex entertaining. (Deal with it.) Unless you see that watching this show is having a really negative effect on a kid, I don't see what is wrong with it. (And if any parents are reading this, your kid is probably gonna be really annoyed if you don't let them watch it, because they're going to think your babying them...its not gonna hurt anyone if you let your kid watch the show, but if you get all stressed about what they are watching and then they'll be mad, then it will hurt someone. Do us all a favour and just CHILAX!)
Teen, 15 years old Written bymyknell November 1, 2009

High school only!

This show is hilarious and good for a high school audience. Plays up many stereotypes but has awesome music and a great plot line. Not for under high school.
Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written byblahblah blahbl... November 1, 2009

a little edgy, but ok... not high school musical :)

I really don't think it was meant to be High School Musical...... My children enjoy this show and we watch it together
Parent of a 12 and 15 year old Written bysoldiermom October 29, 2009

This is NO High School Musical!

The dancing is sometimes very suggestive and the sexual behavior is atrocious. This is no High School Musical!
Teen, 14 years old Written byMandyManiac October 27, 2009

Good more the mature Tween.

I am a "tween' myself, and it is true that some parents seem to underestimate what tweens can handle. Some more mature kids, such as myself, can handle a show like Glee. Some, however, are more immature and begin to follow what is portrayed on TV. Kids now know better than to do drugs just because some made-up character on "Glee" did it, at least me and my friends. On the downside, I find the gay stereotypes offensive. There is nothing wrong with being of another orientation, but the football players make it seem so...degrading. While I do not want to critisize, parents need to realize that children are more exposed to adult things these days, even if they do not seem to at home. Glee portrays what high school life is really like. I would say it is for people the age of at least 13. It says its okay to be yourself, and don't let anyone else change you.
Teen, 15 years old Written bytaylorisrandom October 23, 2009

Great Plot. Great Music. Mature Content.

This is a really good and intriguing show that keeps you coming back for more music and drama! BUT, I would not recommend for children under the age of 14 to watch it!! You do not want kids this young to see and here some of the things that are portrayed a lot of the time on the show, such as inappropriate language and drug usage. Keep your younger ones away from the bad influences of the characters on the show, they make bad things such as sex before marriage and drugs seem ok... no child should should make these characters role models!!! Over all, the show is for an older audience!!
Adult Written bymontana 123 October 23, 2009

Too much adult theme

I watched the pilot with my 12yr old daughter. She wanted to see it because it was recommended by TV Guide's Nerina Rammairone as a great show that entertains, and educates. I found it to be very funny but mostly in an inappropriate way. Definitely not for teens. The cheerleading coach tripping the school nurse on the stairs so she can get the job of school nurse opened up to be filled by a non nurse parent. This unqualified parent then proceeds to hand an over the counter medication out to the "tired" students as a pick me up to give them energy. The pregnant girl whose boyfriend likes someone else in the group.Too much adult theme for young minds.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymapgirl513 October 20, 2009

LOVE IT!

I love this show because it is a real show. It isn't one of those shows where the problem is that you have two dates to the dance. It relatable problems on love and sexuality. The only bad thing is in a meeting of the celebacy club which is when you put a balloon between two people and if it pops than an angel crys. and they also use inappropiate language
Adult Written bySunsetDarling October 18, 2009

A must see!!!

Best show ever!!!!!!!!! I love it. The music is great, and my music tastes have been broadened by the show. The show definitely follows some stereotypes, which I do find frustrating. But instead of being sucked into these stereotypes, I just use it to discuss the issue of stereotypes with other 'Glee' watchers. There are some sexual references, which parents often get a bit apprehensive about, but these references just fly over my younger sister's head, and those of her friends'. I definitely recommend it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byjustLoviNickJonas October 18, 2009

A Funny show for mature teens 13+

I LOVE GLEE!! The best thing about this show is the musical sequences, every episode there is 3 or more musical songs, the cast recreates them amazingly. The only things about glee that might be inappropriate: One of the cheerleaders,Quinn. is pregnant and she tells her boyfriend, Finn, the star quarterback, that he is the father, he will do anything he needs to do to help. But the father is really Puck. Finn's best friend. The glee teacher is the spanish teacher Will Shuester, his wife Terri, tells him she's pregnant, a little later in the series she finds out she isn't pregnant, but is having a hysterical pregnancy, but she advoids telling Will. There is sexual refrences, and swears- h---,crap, d---. One of the characters is presumably gay. Another character, Rachel Berry is a showoff, she brags alot about herself, she has a crush on Finn, even though his girlfriend is pregnant. Glee is a funny show complete with musical acts, I recommend it to mature 13+ teens.
Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written byjmsl October 17, 2009
I love Glee. But the subject matter, teen pregancy, sex, and some of the humor is more adult. It's too bad because I think the tween set would love the musical numbers. I know my 10 yr old really wants to see it and has some friends that watch it but I think that is too young
Kid, 12 years old October 16, 2009
This is a great show and the first episode is the best and less rudest. But the more episodes the more the sexual content increases like a bad smell. iffy 4 11+
Kid, 11 years old October 13, 2009
I've never watched it, but I heard of it on Itunes, sounds not very good as far as sexual stuff.
Educator and Parent of a 3 year old Written byMassMedia October 9, 2009
Teen, 14 years old Written bysugarberry6 October 3, 2009
I LOVE Glee!!!!!!! Definitely worth watching!!!
Kid, 12 years old October 3, 2009
VERY SEXUAL but good for teens UP!
Teen, 15 years old Written bybrian_johnson October 2, 2009

uhhh push it----push it real good! hahaha

i absolutly love glee it is my fravorite show on tv hope you guys like it. C-YAH!!!!L8r.
Teen, 14 years old Written byearth100 October 1, 2009

Perfect for anyone older then 4th grade

I love glee! The singers are amazing, and i love the crazy wife! Too funny!
Kid, 11 years old September 29, 2009