All member reviews for Good Luck Charlie

Parent of a 2, 7, 10, and 12 year old Written by4GoodReasons May 27, 2010

My daughter doesn't need a boy crazy teenager as her role model.

Really! I am SHOCKED that this show is rated for 7+ and I implore the original reviewers to watch again. While this could be a GREAT show, I am so frustrated by the messages being sent by the oldest sister. EVERYTHING with her is about boys, getting her first kiss, hot guys, going to parties. There's even scenes where she flat out lies or deceives her parents. This show was on our favorites list, until I paid closer attention. Pay attention parents - this show does NOT give the messages you way your tween to hear.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymusicprincess101 January 17, 2011

Many inappropriate "jokes" that are bound to generate questions

It's a cute show (I'm 13, btw) but definitely not appropriate for younger kids (e.g. eight and younger). I suppose mature kids could watch it. It's Disney, so you'd think it would be a funny family show, but there are way too many sexual jokes that irritate me whenever my 7 year old sisters watch it. Here are some examples: (Teddy to her parents) "Okay, have fun! But not too much fun - we have enough kids." ---- Mom: And then I met dad. Teddy: And if you hadn't, then I wouldn't be here today! [Note: this one seems okay, except my sister couldn't stop "pointing out" that Teddy would still be there - because "you only need a mom to make a baby right? right?"] ---- Gabe: (to Mom) Did Dad ever get nervous talking to you? Mom: Oh, when your Dad and I started dating we didn't do a lot of talking. Mostly we just... Gabe: Just what? Mom: Played checkers...lots and lots of checkers. ---- On the 2-part special where they go on a family vacation, there are WAY too many inappropriate jokes... here's the scene: Mom: Big news! Teddy (15 years old): Please tell us you're not having another baby. Mom: No, we're not having another baby. And I can assure you, we're not making that announcement ever again. Teddy: Yeah, this family is big enough - you completely clear on that dad? Dad: Why're you pointing your finger at me? Having babies is a team effort. Gabe (10 yrs old): What do you mean? Teddy: This should be good. Dad: Uh, you know what? Getting back to that announcement, we're going on a family vacation!......The place is called Mountain Bliss and it's Mom: Where your dad and I got married. Dad: You know the weekend we got married, we weren't even planning on doing it! Mom: Getting married....Then we met judge lawson and he said we were perfect for each other, so...we did it! Dad: Got married. Gabe: Why do you keep saying that? Mom: Haven't you had "The Talk" with him yet? Dad: I haven't had the talk with PJ yet! PJ (17): I'm good! Also, there's some mild nudity - for example, Uncle Mel turns around (so his back is facing the audience) and pulls down his pants and underwear. His butt is covered with giant foam fingers (they're at a ball game), but projected onto a big screen for the entire stadium to see. And the most nudity is in Snow Show (and all the commercials for it, too). PJ is completely naked, with his snowboard covering his private area. It's covered, but still who would want to see that? (Ok, who would want their siblings seeing that?) There is some kissing but nothing over the top. So basically, I agree with abbyccga and buckets. Good, funny show but definitely unsuitable for many young kids.
Parent of a 5 year old Written bykee10 August 14, 2010

terrible show for kids of any age

Most episodes show the kids lying with no consequence and they are very disrespectful to their parents as well as other adults. The parents set terrible example to the kids. They all use eachother and other people for selfish purposes. This is the worst disney show by far, and I don't allow any of my children to watch it.
Adult Written bymcrnn July 29, 2010

Horrible Role Models

I read the reviews while looking for a sitcom that would be age appropriate for my 7-year old son. I was very negatively surprised! The episode we watched involved the oldest son who was delivering chicken and had to take the baby with him, into tricking customers that his mom was in the hospital (not as an employee but as a patient) and getting more money in the form of tips out of these customers. At the end one of the customers even comes to the family's home to deliver a casserole and the mother continues the "game" by accepting the casserole since it looked good and could be the dinner for that night. Before I could say anything my 7-year old said the show was bad because "everyone was lying".
Parent of a 3, 6, 8, and 11 year old Written byConservativeMomto4 February 24, 2014

Disappointed that they are featuring same-sex couple

My son has been watching this show occasionally and my husband sat down to watch it with him the other day. He was surprised to discover a lesbian couple featured on this particular episode. I understand that it is "politically correct" to be accepting of this, but I absolutely do not think it needs to be shown on a children's show. No more Good Luck Charlie for us!
Parent Written byMarvinM August 8, 2011

Very funny but not good role models for children

The only thing I don't like about this show is the "kids are always smarter than their parents" message. The parents are frequently the butt of the jokes and 2 of the kids are usually able to pull one over on them. It's taught our kids to be mouthy and disrespectful.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byUSMEagles June 3, 2010

Fine to watch with your 6 year olds and older

I think this show is fine. I like that it is a "normal" family unlike some of the other Disney shows where parents are usually non existent. I have read some reviews below concerning the 17 year old flirting with boys. Well I think parents have forgotten that is what teenagers do is start to date and like the opposite sex in high school. Now having sex and participating in inappropriate behavior is different but liking and flirting with boys is what 16 year olds and older girls do. That is NORMAL!!! My mother who is now 60 liked boys and had a boyfriend in high school in the 1950's. I think parents take this a little far when they think it is not appropriate for teenagers not to like and flirt with the opposite sex. Teaching them morals and what is appropriate behavior with the opposite sex is what is important because they are going to have that natural attraction. God made us that way.
Teen, 14 years old Written by96grlpowrCE April 25, 2010

A much-needed change of pace from the other Disney shows!

I actually quite like the show Good Luck Charlie! It's a break from the shows on both Disney and Nickelodeon currently, most of which entail some sort of extraordinary element that makes the characters and storylines unrelatable. It's just your average family dealing with adjusting to a new baby. It has a lot of good laugh-out-loud moments, and it's the most watchable show on Disney at the time. Even the theme song is really nice.
Parent of a 2, 4, and 14 year old Written bycydsmom April 20, 2010

Great for everybody.

My 4 year old loves this show. He has both a teenage sister and a baby sister who is 18 mos. He can definitely relate to the family dynamic on the show and is already accustomed to finding the humor and cuteness that comes with a baby in the family. He watches and the show seems to remind him of funny incidents with his sisters. Our baby likes to see the baby on the show and my teen watches it too. Even my husband laughs. This means no arguing (however briefly) over what is on the TV.
Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written byCherylG41 February 13, 2011

I love, love, love this show! So nice to see a traditional family show where the parents are present and don't look like total buffoons - they seem like they could be real people. So many kids' shows now have smart-talking kids and either no parents present, or "fun party parents" who only show up to have a good time with the kids and are totally irresponsible - i.e., Shake It Up and iCarly. You've got to love the entire premise of the show - and older teen sister making a video of family life for her baby sister to see when she's older. While the family members can be a bit sarcastic at times, it's obvious that they love and respect each other. At first I was a bit stumped when I saw comments about the "language" used, that it was a bit sexually suggestive, because I've never noticed this and thought maybe it really went over my head - unlikely. Then I saw examples of what reviewers were referring to......nothing at all outrageous, but very innocent innuendo between parents or older teenagers, which is typical of the way real families talk. All of the language is very innocuous, and if kids can understand what they're referring to, then they've already learned it elsewhere. How would a young child know that "playing checkers" was referring to sex if they hadn't already learned about sex? This is nothing compared to Miranda Cosgrove referring to her brothers as "boobs" in Drake and Josh, or the many references to "weiners" in that show. This is not even close to that mess!
Kid, 11 years old April 14, 2010

Super Cute!

I love this show! Its funny, and not in a corny old fashion way. Mia(Charlie) is the cutest! This show is a little bit educational. In the second episode there is a little bit of sexual reference. Like Teddy tells her parents "dont have to much fun, we dont need another baby". And when they bring home the wrong baby Teddy sais"See, wrong part" and then the baby boy pees like a fountain. Its funny for kids 10 and up. I think kids under ten might not understand some of the humor and might get bored with it.Over all a great family show.
Parent Written byI Love Hippos September 24, 2012

Boo Disney

Why is it funny for a mother to take her high school girls volleyball team out for an evening of toilet papering in order to 'humiliate their coach??? Really? And, they run from the police, and then in passing mention community service. Does anyone know why you get community service? Because you commit a crime. It is not funny. I am disapointed this show continues to laugh at cheating and lying. Boo Disney.
Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written byhas62372 November 4, 2011

Disappointed by Disney

I think that this show is terrible, especially coming from Disney. The parents act like idiots and they let their kids make fools of them. The kids are rude and obnoxious and use language more than just "butt." My kids that are 8 and 10 are NOT allowed to watch this show at all.
Parent of a 2, 4, and 10 year old Written byJetmom June 10, 2011

Dishonesty is the theme.

My 10 yr old adores this show. But every time I watch it, the characters are being dishonest. Even the parents lie to each other and their kids. The characters often pretend to be someone they are not. I just worry what this is teaching my kids. Of course, at the end they say, "you're grounded" but the punishment is never part of the show. I realize this is a sitcom but it seems a little too much for me.
Kid, 12 years old May 26, 2011

This show stinks

This show stinks so badly i mean the shows called good luck charlie not good luck teddy i mean they show more of the teenager than the baby who the shows named after in one of the episode teddy was complaining about getting a b in one of her classes thats just so stupid it's a b it's not like an c,d,or and f if they showed more of the baby then the teenager then maybe i would like the show but for now this show sucks and briget mendler's voice is just way to high when she complains i liked her better in wizard then in this suckish show
Parent of a 7, 7, 8, 11, and 14 year old Written byChrist-Lover April 24, 2011

Appropiate for all ages.

There is nothing bad in this show, in fact it's pretty innocent. But I can't find any of the jokes funny. I have seen character like PJ, Gabe, and Amy (the mother) everywhere. Same with that one character, Joe, that shows in several episodes. Ooh an evil little girl! Where have I seen THAT before?
Teen, 17 years old Written byDddddddddd April 20, 2011

Not the best

It is KIND OF funny, but barely. I don't think it has a point, exactly. None of the characters are wizards, rock stars, or live on a cruise ship. Yes, the baby is cute, but she is like the ONLY thing that keeps this show alive. Also, the jokes are gross, weird, and just not funny at most times. The teenagers like Teddy and PJ both act really immature and Gabe sometimes is smarter than them. The parents also make some references to some material that younger kids would not understand or should be hearing. Plus most sitcoms are made for ages 7-14, and this one looks like 5-12. I would choose mostly any other sitcom over this one. any other show over this one.
Parent of a 10 year old Written bymollsta1234 May 12, 2010

no one show!

I hate it! :[ it stinks and ir's brain washing! it put me to sleep with its bad jokes and dumb topics!!!!there is also some flirting and kissing thats not for young kids! dont watch it!
Parent of a 1 and 8 year old Written byMama2boys April 21, 2010

Cute and mildly entertaining safe family sitcom

This latest offering from Disney is a cute family sitcom that shows a family dealing humorously with change and working together. It is safe entertainment; nothing worrisome so far. I did find it mildly boring, but prefer to a lot of other options out there. My almost 9-year-old son thinks it is funny at times, but doesn’t go out of his way to see it.
Parent of a 2, 5, and 7 year old Written bycfiddes April 20, 2010

Seems harmless. Kids seem balanced, not bratty.

Seemed harmless. Kids don't seem to have the same attitude I dislike in Zack and Cody, Hannah Montana & I-Carly. I will watch another episode or two before i give it the full okay for my 6 & 8 yr olds.