Over-the-top teen soap mixes backstabbing with drugs, sex.

Teen, 14 years old Written bybodly November 30, 2009
I'm sorry, but this website is beginning to bother me a little. I feel REALLY bad for the kids whose parents make these reviews.Seriously, you don't think your kids already know about drugs and sex? Really? Okay, I wouldn't have anybody under 14 watching this, but beyond that, they SHOULD have enough morals to know that certain thi ngs aren't right, but it is good to expose them a little to the rest of the world beyond Mommy's doorstep. Lots of people with sheltered lives resent their parents for it and later go completely wild...so maybe "everything in moderation" IS good.
Teen, 16 years old Written byTaylor U.E.S. July 2, 2009

It's Up To You Parents

I loovvveee Gossip Girl and its even cooler for my friends & I because they shoot in our neighborhood (which is actually kind of annoying if ure trying to find a cab at 8am) and in our schools sometimes. But, some aspects of the show are pretty unrealistic like the amount of freedom the characters have, like i have a credit card but if I go over my set budget it gets taken away, oh yea and in the show they wear boots and high heels to school...i wish it was like that in real life but their not allowed at most private schools :( but kids are that abrasive in real life prep school. Anyway if u let your kid watch this show you should remind them its sort of unrealistic and that only a selected few get to live like that yadayadayada.. but over all the show is super entertaining and has a really big influence on kids, remember that. Its not like u can really control if your kids watch it due to internet and monday nights when your not there so you should make sure your kids understand the difference between Gossip Girl and real life, you could even show them other reviews of kids saying how the show isn't very realistic if they are not processing what you tell them.
Adult Written byangelfire87 January 10, 2011

No Redeeming Qualities

There really aren't any redeeming qualities to this show. It's a show glamorizing teenage sex with multiple partners, drug use, under age drinking, backstabbing, and gossip.
Teen, 13 years old Written bylivi92 February 27, 2012

Depends on how well you taught your kid...

I started watching Gossip Girl when I was 13, and honestly there was no new information for me. If your kid is mature and knows right from wrong, you have nothing to worry about. However, if you shelter your teenager to the point that they don't know what sex is, you as a parent, wouldn't be too crazy about it. I know not to drink under age and to not use drugs, my parents taught me good morals, so I know not to follow in the footsteps of some of the more "unstable" characters. If you teach your children right from wrong, and they're around 14, it's no big deal! The show does have role models! The main character, Serena, completely turns her whole life around so that she can be a better person, is that not a positive influence? If you would look past the hype that Gossip Girl is "un-realistic and pointless" you might actually notice that there is a point. Also, whats the big deal about them wearing designer labels? They have privileged parents who work hard, so what? On a side-note, yes the characters are mean to each other, in life, girls will have to deal with mean girls, all the show is doing is being honest. I love the show, and it doesn't make me want to use drugs, drink alcohol, and get pregnant, I'm too smart for that, but hey, maybe your child isn't.
Adult Written bycadiomals August 15, 2011

Know your kids

The best thing to do when it comes to this show is: know your kids. If they are easily influenced by media images, this is definitely not for them. However, if they are old enough and mature enough to know that there's some bad stuff to be found in this show and not to follow it, it could just be harmless fun for them.
Parent Written byCommonSenseParent November 30, 2010

Great show for 6th grade and up

Gossip Girl is an addictive guilty pleasure show that is perfect for 11 (6th grade) and up. Kids will enjoy the fun details of the wealthy and privileged. Your children should be smart enough to realize that this is guilty pleasure TV and should not be taken seriously. A+
Teen, 16 years old Written byCourtney_Bass October 2, 2009

greeaaattt

the best tv show out there. the cw did good when they made this show. yeah, there is alot of sex, drugs, and drinking but what show now-a-days doesn't have that? gossip girl is awsome. i love chuck bass(:
Adult Written byBeckstar November 1, 2011

Too much sex and bad role models

YET another thing I'm reviewing where commonsensemedia and I don't click. As soon as I started watching this show, it started with sex, sex and more sex. Every single episode seemed to have it. It also contains lots of drinking., back-stabbing, heaps of gossip (hence the title) and sleeping around plus other bad behaviour. I would NEVER let anyone watch this under 16. Everyone is this show is fake, superficial. No role models in this show, nor is there any 'good' messages. Not that I noticed anyway. I only watched it because I wanted to see what the fuss was about, but would NEVER see again. I'm appauled at someone commenting that they saw this when they were 10! Sure, kids will find out all this stuff around 10 anyway, but this show doesn't give them any good messages about anything
Teen, 15 years old Written byILoveballoo November 9, 2015
Teen, 13 years old Written byeducated elite July 18, 2012

Parents don't fight over this drama

Gossip Girl is a addictive tv drama Parents there is nothing that a teenager doesn't know that isn't in this tv series its a girls fantasy and depending on the child is 90%age appropriate for 13 year old girls and over Parents don't bother fighting your kid will throughly enjoy this masterpiece great for sleepovers
Educator and Parent of a 4 and 9 year old Written byconnielove93 February 9, 2010

A great complex show for kids 13 and up!!

Gossip girl featres people who are willing to backstab others in order to get their way. But that's what it takes to get ahead in the upper east side. I think the role models are good because it tells kids that being lazy and not going to college will get you nowhere. Everyone aspires to be like them because they are rich, tell your kids that if they want to be rich and perfect like them they will have to get good grades and a higher education.
Educator and Parent of a 14 and 15 year old Written byLiz Perle April 9, 2008

kids drink and drug and have sex with designer labels

Do we need this? I know people are saying this is a guilty pleasure but what is so pleasurable about watching kids who, if they were ours, we would be weeping over? Is there one parent on earth who wants to have such shallow, ill behaved selfish kids? yuck. It's another question entirely why we as an audience like to watch this stuff.
Teen, 15 years old Written byballetcorbyn May 21, 2011
Gossip Girl do make alot of things look glamorous, unprotected sex, drinking and alot of things. the viewers should be able to tell right from wrong. Besides it is mostly about fashion and this group of friends and someone called Gossip Girl. If your having mixed feelings watch it for yourself and go from there
Parent of a 15 year old Written bylindatapp April 15, 2011

At least 13 to watch

It's fun for kids 13 and up. To not let a 15 year old watch it is ridiculous, but 13 is iffy. Just talk with your kid and make sure they know right from wrong.
Parent Written byLMR April 7, 2012

Fiction became Reality

Gossip Girl may seem exagerated and far away from reality but the truth is it couldn't be more realistic. If you were to meet the children of those who are insanely wealthy you will realize this is exactly what they behave like. If you don't believe me, just think about the "popular" kids from your own high school. they would be he first ones to drink, have sex, and most of them were probably somewhat wealthy. People criticize this show because they say it sets a bad example for teens, but the truth is, this is what is going on in the real world, and it has nothing to do with the tv show. It all depends o how you raise you kids, and if you have done a good job, a tv show should have nothing to do with whether or not a child behaves. You as a parent should be more careful with the actual companies and behavior your child seems o be involved with. Believe me, these kids that look just like the ones portrayed in GG, robaby don't even watch it. This is the real world, except it i seen through a screen.
Teen, 15 years old Written byAceJournalist May 21, 2011

My favorite show!

Okay, so this isn't something that's going to teach kids. Teens can watch this because even pg-13 movies now are a bit iffy and the crime shows are just bad (but I love them anyway). I think Blair Waldorf is a great role model- she goes after what she wants, she has amazing style, and for a little bit she balanced an editor-and-chief position and schoolwork as a full-time Columbia student.
Adult Written byim.right.trust.me April 23, 2010

LOVE it. but only for mature teens.

Adult Written bybeanieh April 9, 2008

Yuck. A waste of t.v. time.

I spent the hour watching this program with my lip curled in disgust. All the kids on the show engage in risky behavior, which could make for good t.v. if they ever suffered the consequences of their actions. But the characters don't care about each other, the adults in their lives are clueless, and the only two remotely likeable kids are really kind of boring. I've always loved the "nighttime soap" genre, but a show is only worth watching if you have a nice, strong reaction to the main characters -- either you love 'em or you hate 'em. I was ambivalent about every character on this show, and my 13 year old daughter and I are completely writing it off.
Educator and Parent Written byMrs.Melanie December 29, 2013

Trust

Let us begin with the title, the theme is "gossip girl" so obviously it will feature scenes with slender and well gossip.As an adult with three kids and a teen i can understand how it feels to allow my kids to watch these discouraging shows: however, i believe that i have taught my kids well enough and i know my kids wont instantaneously turn into "sex maniacs' and worse- Drug addicts. All i'm saying is that if your kids are highly immpressionable like - 10 or 8 i would not recommened this show but if they are older than i think we should trust them and show them respect as growing people ( i mean we cant keep them in our wings forever,right?) at least that's what my pastor says. i do not speak for the whole population of christians.
Teen, 16 years old Written byveils July 10, 2011

GG

Honestly I started watching this show when I was 12 and I think it's one's own decision to decide what to watch. At the time I felt like I was mature enough to understand the themes and know that what the characters are doing is completely wrong and unrealistic. People have to understand that the show is good for ENTERTAINMENT and the show is not meaningful, deep, intense, etc. Of course it's not for kids but if they already know about sex, drinking, and all that then let them watch. You can't hold them back from the world. The first two seasons were really good and then the story line got boring, predictable and for college students they're idiotic. One thing that ticks me off is the acceptance rate in the show. Serena (Lively) gets into an Yale, Columbia, etc but she got kicked out of school, never did any extracurriculars. It just disgusts me that in the real world people work their butts off to get there.