Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Gossip Girl

Over-the-top teen soap mixes backstabbing with drugs, sex.

Adult Written bycadiomals August 15, 2011

Know your kids

The best thing to do when it comes to this show is: know your kids. If they are easily influenced by media images, this is definitely not for them. However, if they are old enough and mature enough to know that there's some bad stuff to be found in this show and not to follow it, it could just be harmless fun for them.

Adult Written byLMR April 7, 2012

Fiction became Reality

Gossip Girl may seem exagerated and far away from reality but the truth is it couldn't be more realistic. If you were to meet the children of those who are insanely wealthy you will realize this is exactly what they behave like. If you don't believe me, just think about the "popular" kids from your own high school. they would be he first ones to drink, have sex, and most of them were probably somewhat wealthy. People criticize this show because they say it sets a bad example for teens, but the truth is, this is what is going on in the real world, and it has nothing to do with the tv show. It all depends o how you raise you kids, and if you have done a good job, a tv show should have nothing to do with whether or not a child behaves. You as a parent should be more careful with the actual companies and behavior your child seems o be involved with. Believe me, these kids that look just like the ones portrayed in GG, robaby don't even watch it. This is the real world, except it i seen through a screen.

Adult Written byangelfire87 January 10, 2011

No Redeeming Qualities

There really aren't any redeeming qualities to this show. It's a show glamorizing teenage sex with multiple partners, drug use, under age drinking, backstabbing, and gossip.

Adult Written bymozarteide March 1, 2019

great

It's a good show, but i think teens will like it better
Adult Written byJossleynsheanpr... January 25, 2019

It was influential

It taught my little girl good life lessons she loves to show and we watch it together I think that if you are a parent STOT BEING STRICT!!! It’s bad for your kids and they will start to resent you for it I am not saying that you have to let your kids do whatever they want but at least let loose a little more I mean COME ON GOUYS!!

Adult Written byAdog January 15, 2019

Adult Written bymcclus.reilly10 December 20, 2018

Drinking underage

Teens should not be drinking underaged .

Adult Written bylily2540 November 3, 2018

Very scandy

This show is very entertaining but extremely mature. I find even myself acting differently after watching some episodes. I am on season 5 and I will continue watching, kids should not be allowed to watch this alone if they are under 15. Lots of sex, drugs, drinking, cheating and rebelling.

Parent of a 10 year old Written byKessler Family September 16, 2018
Adult Written byLilymecca August 7, 2018
Adult Written byWw122 August 7, 2018

Great show.

Honestly, once you child is about 12 they have already learned everything about sex, drugs and other horrific things. They have learned these things through school, friends, parents and possibly their older siblings. This show has some bad things in it but can share real life lessons and what happens when you break a rule. By watching this they will be able to make better choices and be more wise. My daughter has learned multiple things throughout this show and I think other kids should be able to learn from it also. My child is only 10, but she is mature. If you child is mature let them watch it.

Adult Written byJazzy B. March 19, 2018
Adult Written bySaumya T. February 4, 2018

My review on Gossip Girl

I started watching Gossip Girl on Netflix this year, I came across a Season 1 episode of Gossip Girl. I instantly became a fan and started posting about 1st episode, how much I liked it, especially the friendship Blair and Serena shared. I was fascinated by the glamorous lives of these socialites living in the Upper East Side of New York City. One of the characters I identified with was “Lonely Boy,” also known as Dan Humphrey (played by Penn Badgley). He was a middle-class boy from Brooklyn who never liked the life of Upper East Side but he fall for Serena van der Woodsen.I liked Serena because of her faithfulness, altruism, fashionable (I loved her dressing style/sense) and gregarious behavior. I loved the chemistry of bestfriends Serena and Blair, till season 2 Serena was the main Heroine and my favorite character another character I adored was the Queen Bee, Blair Waldorf. Till season 2 her character was supposedly like a villain (as she was envious towards Serena) but can’t help but love because of the charm and attitude (scheming and plotting). From Season 1 till Season 2 it was a genuinely great character-driven drama and I was fascinated and obsessed with this show. But with each new season, the quality of the storylines became repetitive and uninspired. Serena running away to a different city because she was afraid of facing her problems, Blair reuniting with a boyfriend (Chuck or Nate mostly Chuck) who doesn’t treat her with respect, and Nate dating the attractive female guest star. I was completely caught by surprise and adored by the amazing chemistry between Dan and Blair (“Dair”). These two were from completely opposite worlds, but are so similar in many ways. These two were self-righteous personalities and they both share the same passion for art, film and literature, and I found them more intelligent than other characters. The dialogue between the two is such a magical to watch. My favorite character got shifted from Serena to Blair. “Dair” was as if they belonged on a different show, because their storyline was vastly superior to everyone else’s dull drama. In Season 4 I loved their phone-movie date (for a Dan and Blair scene). The two began as enemies, became friends and eventually a couple (I guess not “eventually” but for short time 5-6 episodes). The toxic and emotionally abusive relationship between Chuck and Blair is just disturbing to watch. I will never understand the appeal of a romance where the woman has no self-respect. Blair literally lets Chuck treat her as his property. Who can forget in Season 3 when Chuck sold Blair to his uncle Jack as a prostitute just to save his precious hotel? How about the time when Chuck was drunk and physically abused Blair out of anger that she was engaged to a prince? Apparently that kind of relationship is Blair’s idea of an epic romance. That’s just sad. I don't understand why writers wanted Chuck to be in main romantic lead in Season 6, disparaging Dan. Dan and Chuck have always represented two different sides of Blair’s personality. Chuck and Blair’s relationship is based on their shared interest in kinky sex and scheming, plotting. Dan brings out the mature, independent Blair who I liked in Season 1. Blair in Season 1 would never let a boy treat her like his property. Yet that’s what Blair becomes when she is with Chuck. One of my favourite quotes that Dan says to Blair speaks volumes of how healthy their relationship is. In Season 5, Episode 12, he says: “That girl is fiercely strong, independent, outspoken, beautiful and capable of anything. And no man or magazine should be able to take that away from her.” With Dan, Blair was equal in a relationship. I see her genuinely happy and a return to Season 1 Blair. So it’s disappointing to see that even when she’s not with Chuck, she is negatively influenced by him. I actually got the hint that “Dair” might exist from the scene at hallway Season 1, Episode 4. Blair is mad at Serena because she is reminded of how she has always been in her shadow. Dan decides to comfort her. Even though they come from different worlds, he can relate to her and encourages her tell her mother how she feels neglected. Dan and Blair represent the idea that two completely opposite people can still form a relationship, despite class differences or prejudices against them. Even Leighton Meester (Blair) and Penn Badgley (Dan) supported Dan and Blair relationship (I went through some of their interviews). Blair left Dan for Chuck without any explanation in the Season 5 finale. At least give a proper closure for a couple as I invested two seasons on it. In my idea of the perfect ending, Gossip Girl ends in Season 5, Episode 19. In particular, the scene where Dan and Blair go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Blair had officially divorced her secretly evil husband, Prince Louis. She had lost the princess fairy tale she grew up fantasizing, but Dan was there to remind her that she was always a princess in his eyes. He gives her a dollar store crown and Blair accepts it. Dan finally found his true love in a place he least expected, and Blair finally accepted him into her world. Together, they brought out the best in each other’s personalities. While I’m disappointed in how the series ended, I’m still appreciative of the writers for writing on the most unlikely couple. I loved it.
Adult Written byjamita j. June 2, 2017

Adult Written byConnie F. May 16, 2017

Wonderfully entertaining & addictive !

I started watching this show on Netflix and was instantly addicted I fell in love with Chuck Bass!! Also the Chuck + Blair drama / Romance kept me hooked!
Teen, 14 years old Written bylittlepig1 April 30, 2017

Not as bad as you think - really good

I like this show. I really do. I'm really not into backstabbing and bitchy girls but it's not all that happens in Gossip Girl. Teenagers knows more about sex and drinking than you can think (what they do with the information is more important). Violence: Free from violence, maybe a tiny bit of nosebleed or lighter wounds from fistfights but I can’t remember specific times that happened. Sex / drinking / smoking: Well I can say there's a bit of each thing. First of all, the sex. You never get to see anything. They just talk about it, sometimes you can see them walk into the bedroom. Kisses, there's a lot of ”hot” kisses, touching each other in a sexual way but not on genitals or nothing too inappropriate. Drinking: They drink, a lot. About the drugs and smoking, sometimes they smoke and take drugs. They kind of romanticize this too, they always say it's good thing but not often. Only happened a few times. Good rolemodels / positive messages : I wouldn't say there's much positive messages or good role models here. There's a lot of backstabbing, betrayals and revenge. The characters aren't bad but they also don't tolerate anyone to mess with them. Or well, some of them are really mean to people they have history with. But they value their friendship and you can really see the close bond they have to each other. They're protecting their beloved ones with all their hearts and you also get to see their real ones. Many of the main characters have been trough a lot and you get to see that not every popular and hot person is happy. So I would say it's for 13 and up. When you are a teenager, you understand quite much. If you know your kid/teenager is triggered by drinking and sex and maybe even wants to try those things more I should say no, because they have a tendency to romanticize that. But otherwise, if they don't care - go ahead. I can't describe what's good about it. Just everyone. You get to meet a lot of characters and creates bond with every single one.

Adult Written bydancegirl3697 July 1, 2016

A Classic for Teens!

When I first started watching this show, I laughed at how ridiculous it was. These rich kids would complain about the most absurd things when there are more important things going on in the world. However, after several episodes, I started to get hooked on it. It is full of drama, love, and some suspenseful moments. Little did I know that the characters I hated in the first few episodes, would actually end up being my favorite television couple EVER! So yes, there are drugs, alcohol, money and sex involved...but this is still an addicting and entertaining show that does send positive messages about love, relationships, and family.

Parent of a 17 year old Written bySarah007 June 12, 2016

Advantages of GG

Well I agree with the most here about the bad influences that GG has on kids. I'm not actually the person who loves TV series and movies but this series came up and after I watched it I could see that u can also learn sth. You say its not realistic but seriously people with so much money really exist in this world and most of them don't have time for their children. So they children when they finally go turn 16,18...the do those things cuz they hadnt anyone to teach them or even to show them love. If watch the show u can see that the worst people are those are the most neglected by parents and their parents are those who work harder like Bart Bass he works hard to own hotels and Elenor Waldorf she's one of the biggest fashion designers. She still believe that this is not realistic? And there I have to say that 2 characters Blair and Chuck they actually have been together for a long time and love each other and in the 6th season they get married so they arent really supporting the multiple partners like the other characters. In addition they teach self esteem and being confident, ambitious that is sth really important. Finally forget about the high heel at school and think about their outfits in and out of school Blair is always wearing preppy clothes unlike other teenagers in our century who dress like badly only to be seen by guy etc....Also as the years are passing u can see how those bad teenagers get more human and start supporting their friends. It's all about love. A walthy person usually as u can see in movies or books cant have money and love in the same time but when they do its perfect right? I also liked these show cuz in others series u have a couple with 2 good people a prince and a princess and they afe so good that they get influenced by anybody else and they can be together but here the only people they have to deal with so Blair and Chuck can be togegher is their selves, their issues and they deal with those issues in order to have a great love and not nurting each other.
Adult Written bynevemac July 20, 2015
I watched this show not too long ago and I loved it. I never read the books, but I had heard all about it. There is a lot of sex, underage drinking, and drugs. I do not have any kids but I would not let my 13 year old sister watch this.. not kid friendly at all.

Written byAnonymous June 20, 2015