All member reviews for H2O: Just Add Water

Aussie mermaids send positive messages to tweens.

Educator and Parent of a 11 and 12 year old Written byBibliomaniac Mom April 9, 2008

Very Tweeny

My daughters, 11 and 12 are very into this show right now. They love it. It has some fun story lines-typical problems mermaids would have trying to hide their identities. However, the characters do not typically share their problems with their parents, and most adults appear to be disconnected, unintelligent, and ignorant. Also, the way the main characters treat their siblings can be very demeaning and disrespectful, which does not exactly help foster peace in a household. Given, not all siblings get along all the time in the real world, but, hey, it would be nice for children to see positive role models, right? Lastly, most of the characters are dating, and so if you don't feel your kids are ready to be exposed to that yet, you might want to put off their watching this show until they're a little older. Keep talking to your kids about the messages they get from the role model families they see on television. :-)
Parent Written bymommy2five September 15, 2011

too grown up for pre teens

Typical booty shorts and "grown up" clothing for the teen girls. Flirting between boys and girls.
Adult Written byDizzy Blonde April 11, 2009

BEST SHOW ON EARTH

This is by far the best Teen Nick show! I watch H2O ALL THE TIME. People should be watching this show because its fun. Who doesn't love mermaids?
Adult Written bymgraf January 29, 2011

Charming and sweet.

A charming, bright, and fun show that combines a bit of wish fulfilment—what young girl doesn't want to be a mermaid?—with relevant issues for tweens and young teens. This show is largely shown from their perspective, and is note-perfect in showing how typical teens keep secrets from their parents and treat their siblings, form very close bonds with friends, and navigate the perils of having a social life. Their struggles with identity, peer pressure, and self-confidence are shown alongside dealing with their unique secret.
Parent Written byBrooklynMom1 June 7, 2012

Great for Tweens

I love this show for my 8 year old daughter. She adores it and it stimulates lots of imaginative play. Compared with all the Disney and Nick programs, these girls are stellar role modes. There isn't constant sarcasm like is typical in other tween shows like Hannah Montana etc. The characters are not boy crazy all the time but do have nice tame relationships--a little hand holding or a chaste kiss. It is a good introduction to the idea of boyfriends. And Lewis would be the boyfriend I would want for my daughter when she turns into a teen. The girls wear clothes that real teens would wear--not 3 inch heels or have body parts hanging out. In the last season Bella's bikini is a little revealing but all in all pretty tame. There is also not a big consumerism message, the girls are not always going to the mall or talking about a phone or outfit they want. It is kinda goofy and makes no sense that their clothes disappear when they jump in the water but hey, it is for kids.
Parent Written bytreat02 May 22, 2012

very, very, bad

I think this show is a good show, but I think that they overrate it. And, what bothers me, is that, whenever they turn into "Mermaids" they're wearing a bra-type thing. And, later in the show, it gets to where there is TONS of flirting, and I don't think children should be exposed to that.
Parent of a 7 and 7 year old Written bymotheroftwins2 January 12, 2009

Great fun

My daughters and I enjoy watching this show. I agree that they need to tell their parents, but aside from that, it's a great alternative for the tween set. Mild flirting, tween situations like telling your parents that you are too old for a pony at your 15th birthday party, getting invited to a pool party when you obviously can't go in the water in public, etc. The girls wear bathing suits for most of the show, (they are mermaids) so if that makes you uncomfortable it's not the show for you. But even half naked they aren't as sleezy as some fully clothed disney channel girls. I think it's sweet and well written. Obviously some plot lines wouldn't exist without the "lying" about being a mermaid, and I've discussed that with the kids. Overall it's like a teen Ariel.
Parent Written bygrandma KF May 22, 2012

Not what Christian children should be watching

Lots of Witchcraft and casting of spells, not what I think they need to be watching. Also hiding secrets from parents is glamorized! Beware of this show!

good show

this show goes out into the ocean and i love the ocean
Adult Written bybookwormforever November 3, 2011

Love it!

I think this show is awesome. There is no alcohol, drugs, sex, bad language, or real violence. The show deals with the issues of being yourself, being a teenager, making decisions and dealing with the consequences (good or bad), the importance of standing up for your friends, ect. Great show! The show also provides a great basis for starting conversations. There are different family situations, family dynamics, and life situations presented in the show. The show covers bullying, lying, friendships, relationships, etc. I love that the show gives a more realistic view of friendships than many cheesy teen shows. The characters go through ups and downs, fights and make ups and I love that they portray how the characters always realize that real friendship is more valuable than pride.
Kid, 11 years old September 10, 2011

H2O and Mermaids RULE!!!

OMG! I LOVED THIS SHOW WHEN I WAS LIKE REALLY LITTLE AND WHEN IT CAME ON AGAIN I WAS JUST ALL LIKE OMG YAY! YAY! YAY! I love it so much that I have looked online for mermaid tails ( for parents with little girls who want one look up mermagica ) and i actually FOUND THEM! anyways even though im 11 turning 12 i STILL pretend that im a mermaid! lol!!! this show is the best and i just love it and wish that they still made new episodes o and that review about the scary thing was NOT a big deal AT all...IT WASN'T EVEN THAT SCARY FOR PETES SACK! o sorry have to go H2O is on! BYE!
Kid, 11 years old August 17, 2011

The Best

I think it is the best tv show I have ever seen! Everyone should watch it. More for girls than boys.
Parent of a 4 and 8 year old Written byhannahmommy April 9, 2008

The Whole Family Loves It!

This is truly a great show. I have a 5 and 9 year old and we all watch together. I particularly like the friendship the girls have, they don't always agree and it is okay to be different and still be friends. I agree with the "Common Sense" comment that the girls haven't shared their mermaid secret with their parents, my daughter and I had a conversation that this should be the type of secret you tell your parents. There is also a mysterious adult woman/mermaid that frequently appears to one of the characters. This was also a secret that should be shared. That being said, the parents are strong figures on the show and are otherwise strong forces in the girls' lives. It is a great show for my mermaid obsessed daughter. This has become a Sunday night tradition in our house. I strongly recommend this as a great alternative to some of the more inane shows on Disney channel where the kids have sassy mouths and the parents are portrayed as powerless.
Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written bySymezcat March 18, 2013

Communiucation with your child is important

My daughter is 6 and she loves it. Barbie has come out with Mermaid movies and dolls and this is just a non-animated version. There are definitely some scene that have flirting but it is not hard-core and more boy meets girl kinda stuff. I mean really, some Disney movies are way worse than this one when it comes to flirting and boy ends up with girl married scenarios. I have a very open communication relationship with my daughter and she will ask questions if she has them, and as long as you explain to them that mermaids are not real and they understand the fantasy side of things, it is all good. As far as adult content, they are always exposed to it and this is just a better way of them seeing it then many other shows on YTV. Parents do more affection in front of their kids then this show does lol
Parent Written byBate_Kiko March 6, 2013

Jonathan M Shif

I read all reviews and everyone sayd that it's "Nick" or "Disney" production but it's ten television and Jonathan M Shif production and it's my favorite series. I think in some ways is better than "Two and half men" and some other family series
Parent Written byCatholicmom61214 February 19, 2012

From a wary Catholic Mother

This is a great show, it sends a positive message of faith in ones self and friends, and honor of thy mother and father. The character Emma honors her parents rules greatly and expresses a no lying policy with her whole family. She is responsible and polite to her brother and others. Cleo is the sensitive one who has a off and on boyfriend who respects her and is appropriate. She honors her father who is very protective. Rikki show a little rebellion and is scene as a bit of comic relief. She helps the others come out of their shell in an appropriate way and try new things. Great show, I am a Catholic mother with a teen daughter and deem this show to have a great message.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymtpgraham December 27, 2011

Completely smitten!

My eight-year-old and I are in love with this show! The mermaid characters are complex and endearing. They rely on each other to negotiate all of the normal tween issues with friends, families, coworkers and yes, even some enemies. Every action they take has its own natural consequences. Plus they get to be mermaids, which isn't always easy.
Kid, 11 years old November 8, 2011

Only a little kissing, but very clean, no cuss at all

This is a very good show, I want to watch it, but it's on at an early hour (or it's not on at all because of stupid degrassi) and their is only a little kissing.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byMaryJoy November 4, 2011

Worth watching.

Australian based TV. My 11 year old daughter and I enjoyed watching this together. There are some teen relationship issues, but fairly mild. There is some minor peril, but generally speaking the over all theme is about teen girls finding a way to be themselves in the context of various pressures to be otherwise.
Kid, 10 years old October 27, 2011

Wonderful

This is a great TV show. Warning: once you see the first episode you get addcted.