Aussie mermaids send positive messages to tweens.

Parent Written bymommy2five September 15, 2011

too grown up for pre teens

Typical booty shorts and "grown up" clothing for the teen girls. Flirting between boys and girls.
Educator and Parent of a 11 and 12 year old Written byBibliomaniac Mom April 9, 2008

Very Tweeny

My daughters, 11 and 12 are very into this show right now. They love it. It has some fun story lines-typical problems mermaids would have trying to hide their identities. However, the characters do not typically share their problems with their parents, and most adults appear to be disconnected, unintelligent, and ignorant. Also, the way the main characters treat their siblings can be very demeaning and disrespectful, which does not exactly help foster peace in a household. Given, not all siblings get along all the time in the real world, but, hey, it would be nice for children to see positive role models, right? Lastly, most of the characters are dating, and so if you don't feel your kids are ready to be exposed to that yet, you might want to put off their watching this show until they're a little older. Keep talking to your kids about the messages they get from the role model families they see on television. :-)
Adult Written byDizzy Blonde April 11, 2009

BEST SHOW ON EARTH

This is by far the best Teen Nick show! I watch H2O ALL THE TIME. People should be watching this show because its fun. Who doesn't love mermaids?
Parent Written byvjenkins1970 June 5, 2014

H20: Just Add Water's "Moon Spell Espisode (S1:E7)"

My 9 year old daughter watches, er, used to watch this show. That was before I walked into the family tv room and found her watching two teenage characters make out in the "Moon Spell" episode. I was shocked. Parents, please be more discerning. This is not, definitely not, age appropriate content for young children or pre-teens.
Parent Written byBrooklynMom1 June 7, 2012

Great for Tweens

I love this show for my 8 year old daughter. She adores it and it stimulates lots of imaginative play. Compared with all the Disney and Nick programs, these girls are stellar role modes. There isn't constant sarcasm like is typical in other tween shows like Hannah Montana etc. The characters are not boy crazy all the time but do have nice tame relationships--a little hand holding or a chaste kiss. It is a good introduction to the idea of boyfriends. And Lewis would be the boyfriend I would want for my daughter when she turns into a teen. The girls wear clothes that real teens would wear--not 3 inch heels or have body parts hanging out. In the last season Bella's bikini is a little revealing but all in all pretty tame. There is also not a big consumerism message, the girls are not always going to the mall or talking about a phone or outfit they want. It is kinda goofy and makes no sense that their clothes disappear when they jump in the water but hey, it is for kids.
Kid, 11 years old September 10, 2011

H2O and Mermaids RULE!!!

OMG! I LOVED THIS SHOW WHEN I WAS LIKE REALLY LITTLE AND WHEN IT CAME ON AGAIN I WAS JUST ALL LIKE OMG YAY! YAY! YAY! I love it so much that I have looked online for mermaid tails ( for parents with little girls who want one look up mermagica ) and i actually FOUND THEM! anyways even though im 11 turning 12 i STILL pretend that im a mermaid! lol!!! this show is the best and i just love it and wish that they still made new episodes o and that review about the scary thing was NOT a big deal AT all...IT WASN'T EVEN THAT SCARY FOR PETES SACK! o sorry have to go H2O is on! BYE!
Parent of a 7 and 7 year old Written bymotheroftwins2 January 12, 2009

Great fun

My daughters and I enjoy watching this show. I agree that they need to tell their parents, but aside from that, it's a great alternative for the tween set. Mild flirting, tween situations like telling your parents that you are too old for a pony at your 15th birthday party, getting invited to a pool party when you obviously can't go in the water in public, etc. The girls wear bathing suits for most of the show, (they are mermaids) so if that makes you uncomfortable it's not the show for you. But even half naked they aren't as sleezy as some fully clothed disney channel girls. I think it's sweet and well written. Obviously some plot lines wouldn't exist without the "lying" about being a mermaid, and I've discussed that with the kids. Overall it's like a teen Ariel.
Teen, 13 years old Written byPink_Angel March 3, 2015

Bad show

On some episodes they have counterfeits and bad guys. Bella (season 3) called Sophie the B word when she heard that she stole her idea. lots of kissing, name calling, dating issues, etc. Not for anybody 12 and under. Oh and it teaches kids to lie.

good show

this show goes out into the ocean and i love the ocean
Parent Written bytreat02 May 22, 2012

very, very, bad

I think this show is a good show, but I think that they overrate it. And, what bothers me, is that, whenever they turn into "Mermaids" they're wearing a bra-type thing. And, later in the show, it gets to where there is TONS of flirting, and I don't think children should be exposed to that.
Kid, 10 years old October 27, 2011

Wonderful

This is a great TV show. Warning: once you see the first episode you get addcted.
Kid, 11 years old August 17, 2011

The Best

I think it is the best tv show I have ever seen! Everyone should watch it. More for girls than boys.
Adult Written bymgraf January 29, 2011

Charming and sweet.

A charming, bright, and fun show that combines a bit of wish fulfilment—what young girl doesn't want to be a mermaid?—with relevant issues for tweens and young teens. This show is largely shown from their perspective, and is note-perfect in showing how typical teens keep secrets from their parents and treat their siblings, form very close bonds with friends, and navigate the perils of having a social life. Their struggles with identity, peer pressure, and self-confidence are shown alongside dealing with their unique secret.
Parent of a 4 and 8 year old Written byhannahmommy April 9, 2008

The Whole Family Loves It!

This is truly a great show. I have a 5 and 9 year old and we all watch together. I particularly like the friendship the girls have, they don't always agree and it is okay to be different and still be friends. I agree with the "Common Sense" comment that the girls haven't shared their mermaid secret with their parents, my daughter and I had a conversation that this should be the type of secret you tell your parents. There is also a mysterious adult woman/mermaid that frequently appears to one of the characters. This was also a secret that should be shared. That being said, the parents are strong figures on the show and are otherwise strong forces in the girls' lives. It is a great show for my mermaid obsessed daughter. This has become a Sunday night tradition in our house. I strongly recommend this as a great alternative to some of the more inane shows on Disney channel where the kids have sassy mouths and the parents are portrayed as powerless.
Adult Written bybookwormforever November 3, 2011

Love it!

I think this show is awesome. There is no alcohol, drugs, sex, bad language, or real violence. The show deals with the issues of being yourself, being a teenager, making decisions and dealing with the consequences (good or bad), the importance of standing up for your friends, ect. Great show! The show also provides a great basis for starting conversations. There are different family situations, family dynamics, and life situations presented in the show. The show covers bullying, lying, friendships, relationships, etc. I love that the show gives a more realistic view of friendships than many cheesy teen shows. The characters go through ups and downs, fights and make ups and I love that they portray how the characters always realize that real friendship is more valuable than pride.
Kid, 10 years old July 18, 2012

H2o the awsome mermaid show

I love H2o! This fantasy it good for ages 6 and up. There are people who are grown up that watch it and teens.This show never gets old! Me and my 2 friends always watch it and pretend were mermaids!! One of my friends pretends shes Bella, one of Cleo, and me I pretend im Rikki! We all pretend we have their powers. Cariba is my role modle! For those of you parents reading my comment no its not inopropiate for kids just,a little kissing but otherwise,its fine!!! Im a really big fan and hope the romers about season 4 are true.If they are i will screm litarly!!!!!!! Hope you enjoyed reading this. Ps if the directors of H2o are reading this please get a season 4 me and my friends are really big fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byrebma97 June 15, 2010

Drama for tweens

As a mermaid fan, I think this show is pretty good! It can be cheesy at times, but I find it very entertaining. This is a tween show so it's not that innapropriate. There isn't really violence, though the drama in the show makes it tense at times. There is a good bit of kissing, but it's not really sexual. However, in a few episodes some girls wear some reaving outfits, and sometimes the girls wear bikinis. More romance in season 3. The role models are pretty good; Cleo, Emma, Ricky (and later Bella, who replaces Emma) value friendship and work together. They do, however, lie to their parents once they get their powers, but they're mostly good role models. If you like mermaids you'll probably like this show.
Kid, 10 years old April 9, 2008
H2O is a great show! I watch it everytime I can! It's just fantastic!
Kid, 11 years old July 18, 2015

H20: Just Add Water Is Cheesy

This show is fine in terms of being appropriate. But the plot is disappointing, there are a lot of repeated episode ideas, and the fact that early on there is a major actor swap, its kind of odd.
Parent Written bykidosophically ... June 9, 2015

Way too much making out for intended target audience

This is a show about teen girls who turn into mermaids. Awesome, right? My daughters (age 8 and 6) begged to watch the pilot episode. It seemed "grown up" for its target audience. Watch a few more episodes and I imagine you will not want your young daughters watching this. Why did the producers/writers feel the need to include so many long make-out scenes? Tune into Episode 7 for a taste of what this show is really like (making out in a hot tub with a boy.) The target audience is young girls. Teen girls are watching other stuff. They're not watching shows about girls who turn into mermaids with mermaid powers. It's disappointing that so many of these shows miss the mark entirely. They did make a cartoon version of this show called Mako Island ( I believe) it seems a little more suited to an elementary school-aged audience.