All member reviews for H2O: Just Add Water

Aussie mermaids send positive messages to tweens.

Educator and Parent of a 11 and 12 year old Written byBibliomaniac Mom April 9, 2008

Very Tweeny

My daughters, 11 and 12 are very into this show right now. They love it. It has some fun story lines-typical problems mermaids would have trying to hide their identities. However, the characters do not typically share their problems with their parents, and most adults appear to be disconnected, unintelligent, and ignorant. Also, the way the main characters treat their siblings can be very demeaning and disrespectful, which does not exactly help foster peace in a household. Given, not all siblings get along all the time in the real world, but, hey, it would be nice for children to see positive role models, right? Lastly, most of the characters are dating, and so if you don't feel your kids are ready to be exposed to that yet, you might want to put off their watching this show until they're a little older. Keep talking to your kids about the messages they get from the role model families they see on television. :-)
Adult Written byDizzy Blonde April 11, 2009

BEST SHOW ON EARTH

This is by far the best Teen Nick show! I watch H2O ALL THE TIME. People should be watching this show because its fun. Who doesn't love mermaids?
Parent Written bymommy2five September 15, 2011

too grown up for pre teens

Typical booty shorts and "grown up" clothing for the teen girls. Flirting between boys and girls.
Parent of a 7 and 7 year old Written bymotheroftwins2 January 12, 2009

Great fun

My daughters and I enjoy watching this show. I agree that they need to tell their parents, but aside from that, it's a great alternative for the tween set. Mild flirting, tween situations like telling your parents that you are too old for a pony at your 15th birthday party, getting invited to a pool party when you obviously can't go in the water in public, etc. The girls wear bathing suits for most of the show, (they are mermaids) so if that makes you uncomfortable it's not the show for you. But even half naked they aren't as sleezy as some fully clothed disney channel girls. I think it's sweet and well written. Obviously some plot lines wouldn't exist without the "lying" about being a mermaid, and I've discussed that with the kids. Overall it's like a teen Ariel.
Adult Written bymgraf January 29, 2011

Charming and sweet.

A charming, bright, and fun show that combines a bit of wish fulfilment—what young girl doesn't want to be a mermaid?—with relevant issues for tweens and young teens. This show is largely shown from their perspective, and is note-perfect in showing how typical teens keep secrets from their parents and treat their siblings, form very close bonds with friends, and navigate the perils of having a social life. Their struggles with identity, peer pressure, and self-confidence are shown alongside dealing with their unique secret.
Kid, 11 years old September 10, 2011

H2O and Mermaids RULE!!!

OMG! I LOVED THIS SHOW WHEN I WAS LIKE REALLY LITTLE AND WHEN IT CAME ON AGAIN I WAS JUST ALL LIKE OMG YAY! YAY! YAY! I love it so much that I have looked online for mermaid tails ( for parents with little girls who want one look up mermagica ) and i actually FOUND THEM! anyways even though im 11 turning 12 i STILL pretend that im a mermaid! lol!!! this show is the best and i just love it and wish that they still made new episodes o and that review about the scary thing was NOT a big deal AT all...IT WASN'T EVEN THAT SCARY FOR PETES SACK! o sorry have to go H2O is on! BYE!
Kid, 11 years old August 17, 2011

The Best

I think it is the best tv show I have ever seen! Everyone should watch it. More for girls than boys.
Kid, 11 years old November 8, 2011

Only a little kissing, but very clean, no cuss at all

This is a very good show, I want to watch it, but it's on at an early hour (or it's not on at all because of stupid degrassi) and their is only a little kissing.
Teen, 13 years old Written byrebma97 June 15, 2010

Drama for tweens

As a mermaid fan, I think this show is pretty good! It can be cheesy at times, but I find it very entertaining. This is a tween show so it's not that innapropriate. There isn't really violence, though the drama in the show makes it tense at times. There is a good bit of kissing, but it's not really sexual. However, in a few episodes some girls wear some reaving outfits, and sometimes the girls wear bikinis. More romance in season 3. The role models are pretty good; Cleo, Emma, Ricky (and later Bella, who replaces Emma) value friendship and work together. They do, however, lie to their parents once they get their powers, but they're mostly good role models. If you like mermaids you'll probably like this show.
Kid, 11 years old July 23, 2011

Great show!

It's a great show! One of my favorites!
Adult Written bybookwormforever November 3, 2011

Love it!

I think this show is awesome. There is no alcohol, drugs, sex, bad language, or real violence. The show deals with the issues of being yourself, being a teenager, making decisions and dealing with the consequences (good or bad), the importance of standing up for your friends, ect. Great show! The show also provides a great basis for starting conversations. There are different family situations, family dynamics, and life situations presented in the show. The show covers bullying, lying, friendships, relationships, etc. I love that the show gives a more realistic view of friendships than many cheesy teen shows. The characters go through ups and downs, fights and make ups and I love that they portray how the characters always realize that real friendship is more valuable than pride.
Adult Written bykaitlynanne November 15, 2011

Good for all ages

I love this show because my 18 year old, 14 year old and 6 year old all watch it together and are entertained. Nobody complains and there is no fights about what we are gunna watch. If you really like this try another aussie show called Mortified. Its very similar but the main character is a little younger.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byMaryJoy November 4, 2011

Worth watching.

Australian based TV. My 11 year old daughter and I enjoyed watching this together. There are some teen relationship issues, but fairly mild. There is some minor peril, but generally speaking the over all theme is about teen girls finding a way to be themselves in the context of various pressures to be otherwise.
Parent Written bygrandma KF May 22, 2012

Not what Christian children should be watching

Lots of Witchcraft and casting of spells, not what I think they need to be watching. Also hiding secrets from parents is glamorized! Beware of this show!

good show

this show goes out into the ocean and i love the ocean
Kid, 11 years old July 29, 2010

Perfect for kids8+

A great show for girls not young but not old
Parent Written bytreat02 May 22, 2012

very, very, bad

I think this show is a good show, but I think that they overrate it. And, what bothers me, is that, whenever they turn into "Mermaids" they're wearing a bra-type thing. And, later in the show, it gets to where there is TONS of flirting, and I don't think children should be exposed to that.
Kid, 10 years old October 27, 2011

Wonderful

This is a great TV show. Warning: once you see the first episode you get addcted.
Kid, 11 years old November 5, 2011

Awesome Show

AWESOME SHOW! I love it! Positive Messages and Good Role Models: The girls often use their powers for good. For example in Season 3 the girls use their powers to stop criminals using fake currency. I LOVE THIS SHOW! :]
Kid, 11 years old July 24, 2011

Awesome!

A very good series for Tweens and teens.