All parent member reviews for H2O: Just Add Water

Parent Written bymommy2five September 15, 2011

too grown up for pre teens

Typical booty shorts and "grown up" clothing for the teen girls. Flirting between boys and girls.
Educator and Parent of a 11 and 12 year old Written byBibliomaniac Mom April 9, 2008

Very Tweeny

My daughters, 11 and 12 are very into this show right now. They love it. It has some fun story lines-typical problems mermaids would have trying to hide their identities. However, the characters do not typically share their problems with their parents, and most adults appear to be disconnected, unintelligent, and ignorant. Also, the way the main characters treat their siblings can be very demeaning and disrespectful, which does not exactly help foster peace in a household. Given, not all siblings get along all the time in the real world, but, hey, it would be nice for children to see positive role models, right? Lastly, most of the characters are dating, and so if you don't feel your kids are ready to be exposed to that yet, you might want to put off their watching this show until they're a little older. Keep talking to your kids about the messages they get from the role model families they see on television. :-)
Adult Written byDizzy Blonde April 11, 2009

BEST SHOW ON EARTH

This is by far the best Teen Nick show! I watch H2O ALL THE TIME. People should be watching this show because its fun. Who doesn't love mermaids?
Parent Written byvjenkins1970 June 5, 2014

H20: Just Add Water's "Moon Spell Espisode (S1:E7)"

My 9 year old daughter watches, er, used to watch this show. That was before I walked into the family tv room and found her watching two teenage characters make out in the "Moon Spell" episode. I was shocked. Parents, please be more discerning. This is not, definitely not, age appropriate content for young children or pre-teens.
Parent Written byBrooklynMom1 June 7, 2012

Great for Tweens

I love this show for my 8 year old daughter. She adores it and it stimulates lots of imaginative play. Compared with all the Disney and Nick programs, these girls are stellar role modes. There isn't constant sarcasm like is typical in other tween shows like Hannah Montana etc. The characters are not boy crazy all the time but do have nice tame relationships--a little hand holding or a chaste kiss. It is a good introduction to the idea of boyfriends. And Lewis would be the boyfriend I would want for my daughter when she turns into a teen. The girls wear clothes that real teens would wear--not 3 inch heels or have body parts hanging out. In the last season Bella's bikini is a little revealing but all in all pretty tame. There is also not a big consumerism message, the girls are not always going to the mall or talking about a phone or outfit they want. It is kinda goofy and makes no sense that their clothes disappear when they jump in the water but hey, it is for kids.
Parent of a 7 and 7 year old Written bymotheroftwins2 January 12, 2009

Great fun

My daughters and I enjoy watching this show. I agree that they need to tell their parents, but aside from that, it's a great alternative for the tween set. Mild flirting, tween situations like telling your parents that you are too old for a pony at your 15th birthday party, getting invited to a pool party when you obviously can't go in the water in public, etc. The girls wear bathing suits for most of the show, (they are mermaids) so if that makes you uncomfortable it's not the show for you. But even half naked they aren't as sleezy as some fully clothed disney channel girls. I think it's sweet and well written. Obviously some plot lines wouldn't exist without the "lying" about being a mermaid, and I've discussed that with the kids. Overall it's like a teen Ariel.
Parent Written bygrandma KF May 22, 2012

Not what Christian children should be watching

Lots of Witchcraft and casting of spells, not what I think they need to be watching. Also hiding secrets from parents is glamorized! Beware of this show!
Parent Written bytreat02 May 22, 2012

very, very, bad

I think this show is a good show, but I think that they overrate it. And, what bothers me, is that, whenever they turn into "Mermaids" they're wearing a bra-type thing. And, later in the show, it gets to where there is TONS of flirting, and I don't think children should be exposed to that.
Adult Written bymgraf January 29, 2011

Charming and sweet.

A charming, bright, and fun show that combines a bit of wish fulfilment—what young girl doesn't want to be a mermaid?—with relevant issues for tweens and young teens. This show is largely shown from their perspective, and is note-perfect in showing how typical teens keep secrets from their parents and treat their siblings, form very close bonds with friends, and navigate the perils of having a social life. Their struggles with identity, peer pressure, and self-confidence are shown alongside dealing with their unique secret.
Adult Written bybookwormforever November 3, 2011

Love it!

I think this show is awesome. There is no alcohol, drugs, sex, bad language, or real violence. The show deals with the issues of being yourself, being a teenager, making decisions and dealing with the consequences (good or bad), the importance of standing up for your friends, ect. Great show! The show also provides a great basis for starting conversations. There are different family situations, family dynamics, and life situations presented in the show. The show covers bullying, lying, friendships, relationships, etc. I love that the show gives a more realistic view of friendships than many cheesy teen shows. The characters go through ups and downs, fights and make ups and I love that they portray how the characters always realize that real friendship is more valuable than pride.
Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written bySymezcat March 18, 2013

Communiucation with your child is important

My daughter is 6 and she loves it. Barbie has come out with Mermaid movies and dolls and this is just a non-animated version. There are definitely some scene that have flirting but it is not hard-core and more boy meets girl kinda stuff. I mean really, some Disney movies are way worse than this one when it comes to flirting and boy ends up with girl married scenarios. I have a very open communication relationship with my daughter and she will ask questions if she has them, and as long as you explain to them that mermaids are not real and they understand the fantasy side of things, it is all good. As far as adult content, they are always exposed to it and this is just a better way of them seeing it then many other shows on YTV. Parents do more affection in front of their kids then this show does lol
Parent Written byCatholicmom61214 February 19, 2012

From a wary Catholic Mother

This is a great show, it sends a positive message of faith in ones self and friends, and honor of thy mother and father. The character Emma honors her parents rules greatly and expresses a no lying policy with her whole family. She is responsible and polite to her brother and others. Cleo is the sensitive one who has a off and on boyfriend who respects her and is appropriate. She honors her father who is very protective. Rikki show a little rebellion and is scene as a bit of comic relief. She helps the others come out of their shell in an appropriate way and try new things. Great show, I am a Catholic mother with a teen daughter and deem this show to have a great message.
Parent of a 4 and 8 year old Written byhannahmommy April 9, 2008

The Whole Family Loves It!

This is truly a great show. I have a 5 and 9 year old and we all watch together. I particularly like the friendship the girls have, they don't always agree and it is okay to be different and still be friends. I agree with the "Common Sense" comment that the girls haven't shared their mermaid secret with their parents, my daughter and I had a conversation that this should be the type of secret you tell your parents. There is also a mysterious adult woman/mermaid that frequently appears to one of the characters. This was also a secret that should be shared. That being said, the parents are strong figures on the show and are otherwise strong forces in the girls' lives. It is a great show for my mermaid obsessed daughter. This has become a Sunday night tradition in our house. I strongly recommend this as a great alternative to some of the more inane shows on Disney channel where the kids have sassy mouths and the parents are portrayed as powerless.
Parent Written byleekp February 16, 2014

Quality declined over time, but still better than Disney

This series ran for 3 seasons. My 9 year old and I loved the show, but it did include increasing amounts of dating, worrying about dating, arguing about boys, and general drama as the series progressed. As the series begin, there are three nice young girls (teens) who unexpectedly turn into mermaids. They wrestle with issues relating to this and find their way as they straddle the land/sea worlds they now inhabit. For us, the show remained interesting through season 2, but we tuned out after watching the first episode of season 3. This was because of the increasing focus on dating and romance that started in season 2. The show became very much like a sanitized teen soap opera. Someone was always arguing with someone over something minor, characters flip flopped between good and bad behavior and the girls focused increasingly on boys, boys, boys. Still, the girls are still relatively strong and interesting characters, as is their friend Lewis, although the character development is uneven. Some of the traits presented originally seem to fade away as the season goes on. Emma, for example, is from a tight family but seems to grow farther and farther from them without any clear reason. This was disappointing to us - we wanted her to share her secret with her family, instead of lying to them. In the early episodes, lying to her family was a huge problem for her, by season 2, it was not an issue at all. In general, as this show progresses, the girls become more focused on their looks (more makeup, less clothing) and boys (more relationship drama) and less on the things that used to matter to them (family, school, friendship, honesty). One nice thing however is that Charlotte (introduced in season 2) is refreshingly healthy in size for a TV actress. She is less slim than the other girls and in a healthy athletic way. On the flip side, Cleo gets very thin in this season, near skeletal - this disturbed us - she really looked ill; but Charlotte is a nice counter to this. (In season 1, all three girls are relatively healthy and natural. The main hang out for the show is a fresh juice shop.) It was a shame the writers and producers took this show from what could have been a really healthy show about healthy girls and turned it into a run of the mill teen soap opera. It was fun to watch for a while but, for us, it lost its appeal. We can, however, highly recommend the spin off - Mako Mermaids! See my review for that - it's a much better choice for young viewers!
Parent Written byBate_Kiko March 6, 2013

Jonathan M Shif

I read all reviews and everyone sayd that it's "Nick" or "Disney" production but it's ten television and Jonathan M Shif production and it's my favorite series. I think in some ways is better than "Two and half men" and some other family series
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymtpgraham December 27, 2011

Completely smitten!

My eight-year-old and I are in love with this show! The mermaid characters are complex and endearing. They rely on each other to negotiate all of the normal tween issues with friends, families, coworkers and yes, even some enemies. Every action they take has its own natural consequences. Plus they get to be mermaids, which isn't always easy.
Adult Written bykaitlynanne November 15, 2011

Good for all ages

I love this show because my 18 year old, 14 year old and 6 year old all watch it together and are entertained. Nobody complains and there is no fights about what we are gunna watch. If you really like this try another aussie show called Mortified. Its very similar but the main character is a little younger.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byMaryJoy November 4, 2011

Worth watching.

Australian based TV. My 11 year old daughter and I enjoyed watching this together. There are some teen relationship issues, but fairly mild. There is some minor peril, but generally speaking the over all theme is about teen girls finding a way to be themselves in the context of various pressures to be otherwise.
Adult Written byPROACTIVE April 9, 2008

GOOD JOB

ONE OF THE BEST SHOW FOR THE OVER 5 AGE GROUP. YOUNG PEOPLE PROBLEM SOLVING
Adult Written bykidosophically ... June 9, 2015

Way too much making out for intended target audience

This is a show about teen girls who turn into mermaids. Awesome, right? My daughters (age 8 and 6) begged to watch the pilot episode. It seemed "grown up" for its target audience. Watch a few more episodes and I imagine you will not want your young daughters watching this. Why did the producers/writers feel the need to include so many long make-out scenes? Tune into Episode 7 for a taste of what this show is really like (making out in a hot tub with a boy.) The target audience is young girls. Teen girls are watching other stuff. They're not watching shows about girls who turn into mermaids with mermaid powers. It's disappointing that so many of these shows miss the mark entirely. They did make a cartoon version of this show called Mako Island ( I believe) it seems a little more suited to an elementary school-aged audience.