All member reviews for Hannibal

Graphic Hannibal Lecter retread is compelling and dark.

Teen, 15 years old Written byTheSoularcher May 26, 2013

Gripping, but Violent

Hannibal was recommended to me in various occasions through the internet, and after finishing my last series, I decided to give it a try. I'm not up to date yet, but this is what I have to say so far: It's really good. The plotline is extremely interesting, and it's hard to get bored watching this. Also, the show itself has amazing cinematography, and the characters are well-thought and three-dimensional. But there's a reason I haven't recommended it so much until now: it's graphic. It's probably the most violent thing I've ever watched. But I'm mature for my age, and I'm not easily freaked out by these sort of things. Still, I'd leave it up to the teen to judge if they feel comfortable watching it. If after the ending of the first episode they're up to it, then it's okay. But don't have anybody younger than fourteen or thirteen watch it.
Teen, 16 years old Written byRussianSn1per June 1, 2013

A Masterpiece!

Hannibal is one of the best shows on television. The cast is amazing and every scene is beautifully shot and a work of art. This show is an incredible new take on the classic story of Hannibal lecter. However, due to the nature of this story, it is very bloody and not for squeamish viewers. The subject matter may also be very disturbing to some viewers. However, don't let this stop you from enjoying this masterpiece. Additionally there is one review giving this show a 1 star rating and a review saying "don't even watch it". This is the kind of stupidity I hate to see on this website because it turns people away from amazing shows like this for the simple reason that they object to something depicted in the program. If you can't handle the show then don't watch it.
Kid, 12 years old April 11, 2013

dont even watch it

not at all apropriate for children
Parent of a 18 year old Written byTsion December 27, 2013

Deep, Dark, and Disgusting

Hannibal is one of the classiest, most artistic TV shows I've ever seen. In addition to building the Hannibal Lecter legend from the ground-up in an impressively realistic and sinister manner, this show supersedes its entertaining plot and becomes a thoughtful meditation on the horrific emotional and psychological effects of violence on everyone it touches, from victims and law enforcement to perpetrators. The show is a slow burn at first, but as it gains steam through the season it becomes absolutely riveting and mind-blowing. Mads Mikkelsen's performance as Lecter is smolderingly sinister and frightening but also occasionally alluring and sympathetic. His understated emotion and quiet physical cues make Anthony Hopkins' legendary portrayal seem cheesy in contrast. The rest of the cast is also uniformly excellent, especially regulars Laurence Fishbourne and Hugh Dancy as well as guest stars Eddie Izzard, Raul Esparza, and Gillian Anderson. All of this praise comes with a very important caveat, however: this show is absolutely not for children of any age. It's certainly the most graphic, gory program I've ever seen on television (including TV-MA cable offerings like American Horror Story), and how it manages to skim by with a TV-14 is absolutely beyond me. Every type of gratuitous violent act, from cannibalism to dismemberment, is shown onscreen. The most alarming visuals come from the aftermaths of horrific crimes, where corpses are seen after immolation, skinning, decomposition, etc. The DVDs are even more graphic, containing "Producer's Cuts" of episodes that are too bloody for TV. All of this sounds terribly unnecessary and appalling, but in actuality the show is very conscious of the way it portrays violence, even removing one episode from airing because of recent headlines-making violence. I'm traditionally more upset by violence than I am with sex or profanity in TV and movies, but Hannibal is one of my favorite shows. All of the violence it shows has a point, and is never, ever glamorized or idealized in the least. It's explicit and monstrous, but is meant to have a negative effect on the audience and characters. Kids and teens won't be able to appreciate the context surrounding the gore; they'll just be overwhelmed by it. But for discerning adults who think they're able to stomach it, Hannibal is one of the most contemplative, mature shows to grace primetime television.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBeth Wiesinger June 9, 2013

Maturity Level

Viewer discretion is there for a reason. Hannibal is a show with frequent gore but great story lines and plots. The age to watch really depends on the maturity level of the viewer. I am a 13 year old female and can handle gore and violence without flinching. If you think you or your child is up for it, go for it. Hannibal is a great show. (Hugh Dancy!! :D)
Parent of a 18 year old Written byJohnnygator May 27, 2013

Intense yet enjoyable

Skip thru the gory murders ( less than 5 minutes total spent on screen perepisod) and you will find a compelling thrilling nail biting story. Can't wait for next weeks episode. Not for children. But for mature audiences.
Teen, 13 years old Written byStrawberry100 May 17, 2013

Its Great!!!

Im 13 and I watch hannibal every week I think its great!!! It really exciting and made really well I highly recommend watching it. It is not much scarier than a show like CSI
Adult Written bychristian2011 May 6, 2013

Great show. Compelling, dark, disturbing and brilliant. Too intense for young teens.

The new TV series Hannibal is a major success in my book. The plot, storyline and the characters (acting) is great. It's about a psychopathic cannibalistic serial killer (Hannibal Lecter) who works as a psychiatrist and he works with a gifted criminal investigator who can see flashbacks of how the murder took place, which he somehow takes advantage of. For a TV-14 rated show, the violence is very graphic with blood and gore shown quite explicitly - with grisly scenes of murdered, decomposed and cannibalized victims, plus people whom are killed in their own home (a mother and daughter have their throats slit with a realistic feel). The language and drug use is minimal, nothing to be concerned about, but there's some brief nudity with mild sexual themes, but infrequent. Due to the intense dark and eerie atmosphere and the theme about a sadistic cannibal killer can easily disturb most viewers, even adults. I'd say at least 16+ if they're very mature.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymad about tv March 30, 2015

really great tv

I love this show it has many twists and turns to it. I would just be aware of the violence because that's all that stands out. The main review gives it 4 for violence but it's for sure a five
Parent Written byJudith365 February 19, 2015

Great show, Some Gore

Though it is violent in nature, Hannibal is not excessively gory. The violence is also different from most violent shows, and the actual killings are not shown; only the aftermath, which is why this show is ok for most kids. Only concern is there are some swear words. Otherwise, should be ok for most kids.
Parent Written byroxanne20 February 19, 2015

Great Show, Artistic Violence

Not what you would expect from a serial-killer based show. This show is a very good show, and is very compelling. In my opinion, it is less violent than other shows. This is because the violence is almost artistic. Just like in art. There are some scary scenes, but most violence is implied. I let my 10 yr old watch alone, she loves this show. Only issue is there are some swear words, but it isn't too graphic.
Parent Written bykellenr February 18, 2015

great show

let my 7 and 10 yr olds watch, disagree with other reviewers as the violence is very minimal. This show is family friendly and we watch it during dinnertime with the kids. Such a great show!!!!! NOTE: there is almst no blood, and most violence is implied
Teen, 13 years old Written bybibam7 February 15, 2015

hannibal

Im 13 and I lobe hannibal my mum and dad bought me season 1 and 2 on dvd for Christmas. Although there is alot of blood and some disturbing images I have known from a very young age that there just actors and iys not real.
Adult Written byslasher23 August 16, 2014

gory a violent
Teen, 13 years old Written byZarastella June 22, 2014

Hannibal review

I adore hannibal it's currently the best thing on tv. I get scared and have nightmares very easily but this doesn't happen with hannibal it's so well shot and isn't all about murder it's about the pschylogical side of things and how hannibal is manipulating everyone including you. It's action packed but be warned quite gory but honestly not that bad at all as long as you can handle the gore you can watch this and I recommend it highly. It also has a huge online hilarious funny fandom of fannibals.
Teen, 13 years old Written byiamsuperwholocked June 21, 2014

Girl, 13

I'm 13 and I love this show. I haven't seen very much, but it is kind of gorey. Other kids my age could watch this show, if they were mature. If you don't mind the murder, blood, stabbing, shooting, impaling on deer antlers, etc, this show should be fine.
Teen, 14 years old Written byFunkypigeon2 April 23, 2014

Read this

People complain that this is too gory, mainly because they are under the legal age limit, they shouldn't be watching it. The legal age is 15 and that sounds about right. There is hardly any swearing, sex or use of drugs, just plain old killing which can be quite bloody.
Teen, 14 years old Written bydeadstiel January 31, 2014

amazing but incredibly gory

i absolutely love the plot line but be warned: the creators definitely didn't have "less is more" in mind when creating this show! there's a ton of violence and some naked bodies but nothing explicit is in view. i'd recommend this to mature teens 14+
Teen, 14 years old Written byJeffrey9789 January 21, 2014

A very good show that has alot of gore

if your a fan of silence of the lambs or a fan of Hannibal lector in general you"ll like this show even if you haven't seen those film like me you"ll also like Hannibal it is a very interesting show that keeps you on the edge of your seat until the end of every episode it is also very violent, brutal and creepy its everything that will keep a person interested for the entire show so go watch the show you will love it
Teen, 13 years old Written byWisdomIsAll August 27, 2013

Excellent, but know your kids.

The violence in Hannibal is not done in a gratuitous way at all, so bravo to the show writers. Content aside, it's an effective, psychological crime show that explores character relationships and plot just as much as the killings depicted in Hannibal. Brilliant actors, brilliant screenplay, but definitely not for the faint of heart. Cannibalism is a major theme that is explored in this show and is presented in a horrifyingly elegant manner, so that may, if not certainly, disturb you.